Speed of Light Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Bubby4j2 See Profile

• Location: Tioga,Grayson,TX
Good "Best service possible in our area"
Bad "Low bandwidth cap"
Overall "Good for the light internet user"

I get 4 Megabit down and 1 up, fastest speed for the price in my area. I can only get satellite and SOL.

Not much downtime.

Only bad thing I have to say is they don't allow servers (even on business accounts), or port forwarding either, for any purpose, oh and also;
We are a 5 person family and 1GB per day limit is about 200MB per person, we VERY easily go over that limit, so we have to worry about our bandwidth usage. Plus there's no monitoring tools so you don't know what it's being used on, or who's using it.

Update:
They charge $1 per GB of overage now. There's not even a place to check usage on their website. How do I know what devices are using the bandwidth or what services are? It's like a cop pulling you over when your car doesn't even have a speedometer.

Update 2:
They changed their AUP and removed the hard-caps, so theoretically there aren't overage fees. At some indeterminate point you'll surely get limited though.

Comments:

Review by lanceshealy

• Location: Aubrey,Denton,TX
Good "When it's actual running? It's not bad Internet."
Bad "Tech support, down time, data limits, strict NAT with no way of fixing it."
Overall "This is a terrible Internet service provider if you have other options explore them."

When you see SOL, and you have SOL broadband you know that it doesn't mean Speed of Light, rather Shit Outta Luck. This ISP is absolutely horrible. The data overages are near impossible not to avoid even for the average Internet user. If you play Xbox live you might as well find a new hobby because your NAT is going to be strict so good luck on finding games/connecting to other players. I've had SOL for two years and for two years I have been getting randomly booted offline for about 30 seconds every few hours. I know this doesn't seem like much of an issue, but when your playing on Xbox live or a computer game this can pose a real problem.. The tech support? That's a complete joke. Why do I feel like every time I call these guys i know far more about networking then they do. It's ridiculous just a bunch of non-educated rednecks trying to run a broadband company. I doubt very few of them even have degrees in networking. For the past three days I've been on limited to no connectivity, and after sitting on the phone with some moron for an hour repeatedly saying "just give me one second please" about 100 times I didn't get any information besides to unplug and cycle my router and modem, and that a tech will call me later tonight. I've wasted so much time/money on these guys it's crazy, but what the hell else are we going to do there's no others ISP's in our area. Only other option is Hughes net, which is the same ole pot of shit, and why replace one satellite Internet company with the next.

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Joe_Consumer

join:2013-01-23
Denton, TX

Speed Of Light Replies

I am surprised....after reading a lot of the posts....that SOL representative Ted is allowed to respond anymore. He comes across argumentative and condescending.

Folks....look around....there are MANY other options. Try Skybeam...try Hughes......

But Ted is right....ALL providers have some sort of limitation. The only thing is...... THEIR techs are more professional and courteous.

Review by jlkmks2008 See Profile

• Location: Celina,Collin,TX
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Nothing now"
Bad "low download limits"
Overall "Horrible internet service"

Basically, SOL was great for the first year and half. The connection was great and I was getting 10mb/s download speeds which was 3 times better than any other alternative. However, a few months ago they changed the services terms that allows them to throttle internet speeds for "excessive use". Excessive use according to SOL is more than 1 gigabyte downloaded per day. No Netflix, movie, music, or software downloads. This is completely unrealistic. SOL is not for normal internet usage. It is now only a web surfing service only. As quoted in their service terms, "WE ARE NOT THE CABLE COMPANY", well apparently they are not the internet company either. I had no idea of the service term changes, even though they were supposed to send a letter, yet they limited my download speeds to 500kb/s. So I am paying $70 a month for slower than DSL. Good job SOL, you had a good thing going. I will be switching to ATT DSL. Enjoy your lost revenue.

Comments:

Review by durkindurk See Profile

Good "Speed of Light is great for casual internet users."
Bad "Worst terms-of-service I've ever seen."
Overall "If there is another service available, chances are they are much better."

The terms of service for Speed of Light say this: "SOL does not allow the Customer to run servers of any kind without written permission from SOL. This includes but is not limited to FTP, WWW, Email, File sharing, Peer to Peer software or any other software or server which provides files, videos, music or data to others in an automated and unattended fashion. If Customer is found running servers without SOL’s permission, SOL will, without notice, have the Service severely limited in speed and number of allowed connections."

I thought, "Okay, I'll just ask permission to carry out those activities". I sent an e-mail to support regarding said activities, they were very friendly. They told me they would give me permission. I carried on for about a month until I stopped being able to do all of the things I was given permission to do. I was very angry with the service, but I pretty much just stopped doing all the fun stuff on the internet. My point is I shouldn't have to ASK them what I can do with something I paid for. I've never had another ISP that even mentioned those services.

Oh, and here's an interesting addition: "To protect the rights of other SOL customers, SOL reserves the right to limit Customer’s use of the Service due to excessive use. “Excess use” means if Customer frequently uses a Gigabyte or more in any 24 hour period." Seriously? ONE gigabyte? You pay $55 for one gigabyte in 24 hours. That's roughly 205 high-definition picture files or 1.5 movies.

The reason all of this regulation exists is profit. The less a customer does, the more the provider benefits. Unfortunately, I am forced to do business with them because there are no other high-speed options.

If you want to do anything other than check your facebook and e-mail, I suggest you subscribe to a different ISP. It is a great service for casual customers that primarily download small amounts of data and yes it will load a web page fast. However, the connection cuts off frequently so if you depend on a reliable connection this service will disappoint you. Read the entire terms-of-service before doing business with these people.