Speed of Light Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by banditz71 See Profile

• Location: Aubrey,Denton,TX
Good "FAST ..... Reliable ..... 8 - 10MB Down / 2 - 2.9 Up ..... Awesome Support"
Bad "NONE!!"
Overall "Dumped AT&T DSL (6MB) / Phone Service for 10MB Wireless and Vonage....Same or less per month."

Just saying, " The Best Out There ", pretty much tells the story. Professional, quick installation.....it was $260 but you get quality in return. And in regards to support, it doesn't get any better.

As mentioned above, I was running AT&T DSL Elite (6MB)(Tested around 5125 / 650) and was very happy with it....especially the $30/mo cost. But, being the way I am, when I found out there was faster available, I jumped on it. And, by switching to Vonage, my monthly cost will remain the same or even be a tad less.

Speeds tests have been running between 8 - 10MB down......and 2 - 2.9MB up ....... and what's even better, new/faster wireless equipment is in the works. I'm less than a mile from the antenna, so I'm getting a great connection. Now, I did pay an extra $250 for the upgraded "business class" radio.......but even with the standard radio and the $69.95 package, you'll see speeds up to 8MB or so. The standard package runs $49.95 and offers 4MB / 1MB .

In short, if you are in the North Texas area and can get a signal from Speed of Light Broadband, I'd highly recommend them!

UPDATE - 7/28/2008 : After a year and a half, things are still running GREAT!! As mentioned above, speeds are 8 to 10MB Down and 2 to 2.9MB Up......and the connection is rock solid!!

UPDATE - 7/23/2009 : After 2.5 years, I can STILL say things are running GREAT!! Even had a small boast in speeds a few months back. Highly recommended!

UPDATE - 11/9/2010 : Still running rock solid.

UPDATE - 8/4/2011 : STILL excellent / reliable service! We're getting it installed at our business ( 8 mi. west of Sanger ) on Saturday.....replacing our 3MB CenturyLink DSL.

UPDATE - 7/13/2014 : When 24MB ATT Uverse became available here at the house (in Aubrey), I went ahead and made the change....I've since upgraded to their 45MB package. But, we're still running Speed of Light out at our business ( 8 mi. west of Sanger ) and it has been running GREAT! Next to NO down time.....and speeds are consistent between 8 and 10MB.....which is great for being that far out of town. I still highly recommend Speed of Light Broadband!

member for 13.6 years, 6309 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rblanton See Profile

• Location: Celina,Collin,TX
Good "Good choice for basic internet service"
Overall "Pay much more for FIOS or cable"

Good choice for basic internet service. Beats AT&T DSL and satelite.

Please read the terms of service. There are reviews posted where it is obvious the customer di not even bother to read them and them slams them in an unorthodox manner. It states no Netflix and not for bandwidth hogs.

Comments:

Review by LE Geek See Profile

• Location: Little Elm,Denton,TX
Good "Local company, Glen Cove hotspot has been solid, better speeds than subscribed for and Tim and his team are knowledgeable"
Bad "Install price is a bit pricey, but solid service makes up for it"
Overall "Good speed for the money with local company with quick service"

When I first moved to Little Elm at the end of 2002 there weren’t any ISP providing service for our phase of Glen Cove. Had to wait another year and I contacted a few of the carriers that where starting to provide service, but Speed of Light Broadband still has the best service.

My deciding factor other than the speed was this company and it’s employees are local (faster response to issues) and extremely knowledgeable (no 1st level reading from a set script before they pass you on to 2nd level to repeat the 1st steps). The price may be a little more for the install, but I haven’t had to make a call one in the last three years of service.

Being in the IT service industry I remote into customers systems using VPN from my wireless broadband service and haven’t had any issues with connectivity or speed. SBC is now available at a much cheaper cost, but having used them prior to moving to Little Elm, I’m going to stick with what has been tried and proven to be reliable.