LinCSat page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by The Geezer See Profile

• Location: 43.3Á
Good "Excellent Tech Support (Best I have yet experienced)"
Bad "Speeds dependent on time of day (Direcway's problem)"
Overall "If you can get DSL, Wireless or Cable, don't bother with Satellite."

Lincsat...Now Xplornet

Lincsat is now Xplornet and run out of New Brunswick, Canada. The company seems right on top of the industry with very responsive tech support. If, like me, you find your are in a 'black hole' with no alternative sources of high speed Internet access, this would be the way to go.

The Small Office package, which I have, gets you a Static IP, data transfers that are relatively free of FAP and slightly faster upload speeds. You also get the larger .98m dish which never seems to suffer rain fade. This all comes at a premium ($149/month Cnd), but is well worth it.

One thing to keep an eye out for during installation: Make sure the system is properly grounded!

Comments:

Review by porandisaptd See Profile

• Location: Thessalon,ON
Good "Some( infrequent)good download speeds."
Bad "No p2p, gaming, upload speed,service(3day tech return call??)169mb d/l cap, outages,"
Overall "Have purchased "Advanced Smoke Signal" thechnology manual from local Indian Chief"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have never purchased a product or service that I have been so thoroughly disgusted with. Poor installation, install tech did not return mssgs(had to tell Lincsat to come and take dish down before action) no grounding of dish, 3 day waits for tech call return and outages with clear skies from here to Pluto.

With a disc capable of holding 700 mb, soon to be displaced by the dvd with 4+gig, they have a cap of 169 mb, how can they call this hi speed? This is a joke but unfortunateley it is on me.

Should have stuck to dial up and would have saved $600 and countless hours on these forums trying to make this work. I did not sign on to be a techie. I just want something that works and doesn't need to be tinkered, proded, urged, coaxed, begged, caressed, fondled, and prayed upon to work.

Bonus? Seems that there are a lot of nice people here who will vote with their feet as soon as they can. Tanx 4 allowing me to vent. Special TANX to WMLARRY for help although it proved only temporary.

Comments:

Review by Semaphore See Profile

• Location: 101010
Good "Better than Dial up on download"
Bad "Dialup Upload was better than this!"
Overall "If I knew then what I know now I would NEVER have signed"
Mail,DNS,News:

Presales was all peaches and cream, but after I agreed to the install there were add ons, and not-included pieces that almost doubled the installed price. Installer knew nothing at all about TCP/IP, Ethernet LANs, Windows or Linux. Upload speed are absolutely pathetic - less than 14,400!!!. Download is OK (500 kbps), but latency is higher than most Sat Providers - 1400 ms avg, best ever (for a very breif period) 775 ms.

Tech support is helpful and polite, but not overly knowledgable either IMHO. Mail works but there is no NNTP, and they don't have a dialup number for those all-to-often times that I get Rx/Tx errors. Webspace is limited to calculated disk space, not actually site space used - not that it matters 'cause at .6 kbps upload I can't make a web anyways!

Overall it's the best I can hope for in the middle of nowhere, but I should have went with DRS, rather than SRS.

member for 10.4 years, 2181 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jambsi3 See Profile

• Location: Arnprior,ON
Good "Installer/Dealer"
Bad "S P E E D not!"
Overall "Stick to dialup"

The ISP is LinCsat. I understand they are a nation-wide (Canada that
is) satellite ISP. I think they piggyback onto DirecWay / Hughes. My
local (Eastern Ontario K7S3G7) installer is Noron Satellite & Security.

The review:
As a deep-bush rural dial-up-only internet user, Lincsat is my only
alternative. I was/am getting about 36 to 46kbps from the phone line.
With Lincsat (6000 Transceiver) I get from 15 to 60kbps upload and 500
to 800kbps download. All with a sattelite latency drag. I can't get
WinMessenger camera, voice or filetransfer to work. Lincsat's answer to
that is "they don't support cameras" - this of course is technical term
for 'get lost, we don't care. When I sent them a screenshot of my
DSLReports speed test showing 22kbps upload their repsonse was a request
for 'more of those speed tests'. Bottom line, they suck - stick with
dial up.

On the upside the installer (Noron)has been tremendous.