AT&T Yahoo page on DSLReports

Review by TIGERON See Profile

• Location: Pacifica,San Mateo,CA
Good "connection is solid"
Bad "monthly usage caps"

·AT&T DSL Service
What exactly are we paying for? I have the DSL 6 MB a month speed but there's 150 gigabyte monthly cap and if you got over, you are charged $10 for every 50 gigs. I really don't understand why AT&T just doesn't sell their Pacifica CA service over to sonic.net. They provide better service overall, from the users I know who have sonic, they get a speed of 10MB, NO monthly data caps, and they are cheaper.

member for 6.7 years, 485 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Timmn See Profile

• Location: Tinley Park,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Better than dial-up, cheaper than Comcast"
Bad "I can't download very large files."
Overall "It works for me, but if I had to pay the full price, I'd go elsewhere"

·DIRECTV
I can't say anything good or bad about it. I won't go with Comcast, that's for sure.

The only problem I am having, which nobody can figure out, is that if I try and download a very large file, the download speed gets slower and slower until it either gets so slow that it will take hours to download, other times it just stalls.

I can't find anything wrong on my end; SBC can't find anything on their end. If anybody has any idea what to check, I'd appreciate it.

It works for surfing the net, and checking my e-mails, if I have to do anything else, I go to work or school.

5/11/2009 I got a note from the "System" that I should update my review, so I am.
Somehow, I got upgraded to "Pro", funny, I don't seem to remember requesting that they do that. However, it did sort of fix the stalling problem, it no longer does that, it just slows down to a slow crawl when dowloading large files. Since I hate AT&T less than I hate Comcast, and since they are my only two choices, I have to stay with AT&T, if I had a viable third option, I would be there oh so fast.

5/11/2010 One thing has changed, I can now download large files without my speed going down below dial-up speeds. The AT&T techs here told me to get a different ADSL "modem", and that seems to have solved the problem. That's the biggest change, other than that, it works, rarely goes down, and it's better than Comcast or dial-up.

11/22/2011 I hate caps and overages, even though they have yet to send me any notifications that I've hit my limit, now I worry about what I download, how much I use my internet radio, and my video streaming from Netflix and Blockbuster, I have enough to worry about without adding more to it.

UPDATE: I let myself be talked into the DSL version of U-verse, I'm on the wrong side of town for U-verse TV.
See my review here:
»Review of AT&T U-Verse by Timmn

Comments:

Review by BK3 See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "150 GB data cap, slow speed"
Overall "Insufficient for me and mine in this day and age."

Had Comcast through a promo. When the promo ran out, the price went higher than I expected. Plus a modem rental charge. So I shopped around a bit, and came across SBC DSL. The price was half of what Comcast wanted (granted the DL speed was slower, but I didn't need Comcast's higher speed). I called comcast and gave them the chance to extend the promo price of $30.00/month, explaining that I could get SBC DSL. They wouldn't budge (not that I expected them to, but it was worth a shot). So I order SBC. Got the DSL kit in 3 days, was synced up and running in 4. I'm on the $26.95/mo, 1500/384 plan. My actual speed are 1280/316, which I find quite acceptable. I've experienced no drops or sync loss.
One other plus - SBC gives you 10 email accounts, Comcast only 7.
The modem I got was the 5100b, and it handles the PPPoE for me, no other software needed. Dynamic IP.
I ordered online, and it worked without a problem. All is well here.

****** UPDATE 04/12/05 *******

Got my price lowered to $19.95/mo for the 1500/384 package.
Speed and reliablity have been 100%, no outages.
No billing problems.
It just keeps movin' right along, no problems so far

******* UPDATE 04/24/06 ********

Got my price lowered to $17.99/mo and my speed upgraded to 3000/512
Speed and reliablity have been 100%, no outages, only a short-lived slowdown while new equipment was being installed in the Chicago area.
No billing problems.
It just keeps right on truckin'

Update 6-30-08

Been over 2 years now, still using AT&T DSL. Have upgraded to the 3000/512 speed for $30.00 / month. Since last review, NO down time, reliable, fast. I would recommend to others

Update 3-29-14

Due to constant price increases, a 150GB data cap (to small for me and mine) and a max speed if 3000 / 512 for me, I have left AT&T.

member for 13.7 years, 7028 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@sbcglobal.net

Changing providers?

If you hated AT&T DSL so much, why don't you try out DSLExtreme?

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "Consistency; ability to customize outgoing email addresses; free"
Bad "It's still Yahoo for what it's worth"
Overall "It's not as bad as it seems..."

Have the option of cable and DSL. Tried out cable and the connection was nice (4MB at that time). Unfortunately cable price is, uh, non-competitive here in SE CT (2x DSL now, when I first signed up for DSL, cable was nearly 5x the price - $12.99 vs 60).

Cable co doesn't seem to recognize that it needs a lower tier and competitive pricing to DSL, or at least rationale bundle pricing, in order to get/keep customers, so I get TV from them and phone/HSD from AT&T.

Now if AT&T would dump yahoo and their crappy service, servers and support, and go back to the legacy SNET/SBC business approach, I'd be happy as a pig in *hi*. I still use the legacy SMTP servers because the yahoo SMTP don't work right, but who knows how long that will last...

--UPDATE January 2014--

After a few years of using ATT/Yahoo, I've come to appreciate some of it's good points vs the competition. In general I've had good luck with uptime, so there's that. But more importantly, this service allows me to create a number of "outgoing" email addresses, each with my personal domains, so that I can respond to messages from any of these addresses (4 different domains).

For example,when I use gmail apps, if I try to do the same (send from a customized outgoing address), some email program will render the from address as "email@gmail.com on behalf of custom.address@mydomain.com" which is clearly unprofessional (if business related) or confusing (in any event). I haven't been able to find a way around this, short of logging into 10 different gmail app accounts.

The other nice thing about ATT/Yahoo service is that, when I moved and terminated my ATT DSL service, the account converted to a free yahoo account and maintained all of my outgoing addresses. I'm hoping with the sale of ATT to Frontier that this doesn't change, but at least for the last year Yahoo has continued to provide solid, free service. That makes me feel a bit more charitable to ATT/Yahoo.

member for 12.3 years, 792 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Eighthman See Profile

• Location: Troy,Lincoln,MO
Good "Reliable internet service"
Overall "Top notch ISP"

·Charter
No longer with AT&T since I have moved and have another provider. But for the time I was with them I had know problems. I hope this helps.

Comments:

Review by TOliver See Profile

• Location: Highland,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Reliable and GREAT no-contract period price at first."
Bad "Time & Effort to get service."
Overall "Happy enough with the speed for my use."

Considered many options. Looking for best deal. Got 768/384 from AT&T/Yahoo a few years ago with the $10/month with free modem special from AT&T for new subscribers. Still paying the same, month to month, no contract period.

Modem is a SpeedStream 4100b.

Since I am over the AT&T allowable distance from the CO (by about 130 ft.) they, at first, would not give me service.

After about a month of phone calls to what seemed like 15 levels of escellation, I finally found someone who put in a "waiver" for me. Modem delivered in two days. Service was available a day later.

Speed is fine for my purposes (email, moderate web browsing, occasional unattended large downloads).

Reliability has been good. No down time noticed yet, but I'm not a heavy user.

4/21/10 UPDATE - Rate went up to $15.00/month, still month to month. Guess the wedding is over. (Still no contract.)

10/12/10 UPDATE - Rate still at $15/mo. New subs pay the same for 3Meg service. Guess I have to contact customer retention. Wish me luck!

12/31/13 UPDATE - OK, it's been a while... Got new modem (Motorola 3360) about a year ago (9/2012). Old Speedstream died :-( . Also went to 1.5/384 tier. $21/month after talking to retention. Speed varies between .7 - 1.2 meg. Modem restart often helps to get it back to around 1.2, sometimes necessary to do it daily.

member for 7.2 years, 1275 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

having problems?

we can help with that or as least stabilize it depending on the distance. If you are that far out I won't lie, speed can be a challenge at that distance for regular adsl.

let me know or post in direct, and happy new year

Review by The Dord See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Wayne,MI
Good "Decent Service if this is the only ISP available in your area. (6.0 speed)"
Bad "2wire routers suck, 150gb cap forces me to play sub HD videos."
Overall "Get this if you don't play online games wirelessly or if you're a casual user--other than that, stay away."

I ordered the 1.5mb speed for $34 (January 2005) .. The install and setup went smoothly. My speed went down once during the last major thunderstorms, but a quick unplug and plugin made it come back to full speed. They were nice about upgrading me to 3.0mb speed (March 2005) for $29 a month, its a great deal if your area can get the speed.

1st Update: I'm at 6.0mb speed now. (August 2008) My old 2wire died last month. They've eliminated the need of installing any software. It's almost plug-in-play.

2nd Update: I had to get a new modem since the other one died quickly after I got it. Doing alright every since.

3rd Update: Finding out 2wire wireless routers suck for gaming. Have to go to the wireless 'B' band to play or it will reset itself. (August 2010) Waiting to get some money so I can get the Netopia WiFi Router, but heard it was hard for non-business DSL customers to get. Router susceptible to DNS problems and retraining.

4th Update: Got a replacement 2wire modem (about 2 weeks ago), not a lot of issues so far other than the typical DNS issues AT&T has with 2wire.

5th Update: Speed not as consistent as I'd like. (Nov. 10 2011)

6th Update: Prince increase for April 2012 now at $43. :/ Not very happy that only AT&T DSL (no cable, or wireless data service ISPs) is the only thing available. Park won't let Comcast install their cables here and guess what? UVerse isn't coming here either. If i could move to a better area I could..

7th Update: And now hit with my first data cap overage e-mail. Wow, all I do is watch Streaming Video and read websites. Not cool.

I'm getting bored of 5-6mb download speeds in 2012 while everyone else in my county can pretty much get 10-25mb.

8th Update: After buying a Pace Wireless Gateway in December, things are working decently but I wish faster speed uVerse was around. Was given a $10 discount per month on my bill for 12 months after having to buy the router from them. (Bought the extra insurance too.)

9th Update: I'm thinking that my wireless unit inside the gateway is going out since on a semi daily basis I have to manually reset my gateway to re-establish wifi connections. Posted on att direct to see if I have to replace it after owning it for 9 months (9/8/2013)

member for 9.9 years, 1969 visits, last login: 17 days ago

Comments:

Review by AimLXJ See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellent download and upload speeds"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Not the best yet not the worst"

What other options did you consider for broadband?
Verizon FiOS; unfortunately it's not available in our area.

What SPEED/package did you order, at what monthly price?
Max Internet (U-verse 12Mbps Down and 1Mbps Up) for $40 a month.

How was the order & install process?
Easy.

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
NVG510.

What good or bad experiences most struck you?
The connection becomes unreliable (constant disconnections) which happens once every single year

Pros
-Download and upload speed is excellent

Cons
-Latency is decent though it's much higher (about +10ms more than ADSL) due to the change of data path but definitely much better than cable that's being offered in my area.

Comments:

Review by endofmyrope See Profile

• Location: Oak Lawn,Cook,IL
Good "The internet is so bad - I give up and do something else"
Bad "Worse/Slower than 94% of the US"
Overall "People in Africa get better internet on their cell phones"

I had the $24.99 internet but it was so slow they felt ashamed charging me that amount. I'm now at $14.99/month after they said they can't increase my speed.

I can't stream Youtube... on 144K. It constantly disconnects. Give it 5 minutes and it will be come back though. But why would I even want it back?

The speed test speaks for itself:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2785047632.png

Comments:

Review by unclebg See Profile

• Location: Healdsburg,Sonoma,CA
Good "Several e-mail addresses above and beyond primary"
Bad "U-Verse has taken over any options I once had."
Overall "If you can stay away do so. Otherwise they will dictate everything thanks to U-Verse"

·AT&T DSL Service
with U-Verse in my area ATT SUCKS! Refuse to negociate plan cost, or speed change. No changes of any kind PERIOD! Cost for speed received is ok but not fantastic. Cost could be more refelective of speed, and not that U-Verse is in total control. Can't speed up or slow down. No negociating pricing or anything else with them. I was told take it or leave. Not much has changed since I wrote above. Still think they own everything, and give you NO CHOICE! Bumped up the price and gave me slight speed increase. IF they go up again they will loose my business. ATT ain't ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS. They aren't even the INK on the Manually placed PRICE TAG. Wish I could afford Cable, would be gone in a New York Second!!!!

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Can I work on this for you?

I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the negotiation problem.