Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "The service works well, and it is not AT&T."
Bad "Actually, at this time, I can't think of any bad points."
Overall "The service works well, and it is not AT&T."

I have edited this review thread to remove ancient entries that are currently irrelevant. I will now only maintain relatively current information in this thread.

Ancient history summary:
I have been an on and off Vonage customer since 2004. I migrated to AT&T CallVantage for a while, but returned to Vonage when AT&T shutdown their CallVantage service.

Update: 01/01/2012:

Nothing much new to report, but the DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review:

I currently only have my business line with Vonage (which now gets very light usage because I am retired), and it is on their $9.95 (plus bogus fees) plan. Most of the calls on that line are incoming, and the $9.95 plan still has unlimited inbound calls, so all is good.

I did recently drop my Vonage fax line because of problems that developed after changing my ISP from AT&T to Comcast (I previously reported this on my Comcast review). A recent Comcast SMC router firmware upgrade seems to have fixed that problem, but I don't trust it enough yet to cancel my RingCentral fax service and replace it with a Vonage fax line (which would be more expensive anyway with Vonage's added bogus fees).

Update: 08/11/2012:

The DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review, so here it is:

Not really much new to report. The service still works well, and I still use it. I did have to recently replace my ancient Motorola VT2442 with my even more ancient Cisco/Linksys RTP300 because the VT2442 had started to intermittently lock up. I really hated to do that because the VT2442 had remote reboot capability and functioned quite well as a backup DNS forwarder; the RTP300 does not have remote reboot and it is a miserable DNS forwarder (timeouts are more common than successful DNS query responses).

I am toying with the idea of perhaps activating a dedicated Vonage fax line again; but I will probably wait until after Comcast releases their IPv6 firmware for my SMCD3G-CCR gateway so that I can verify that Vonage faxing will still work with that new firmware.

Update: 09/06/2012:

Well, once again I am no longer a Vonage customer. I ported my last Vonage line to AT&T yesterday, and today (after I gently reminded Vonage with an email because the line still showed as active and I could still make outgoing calls), Vonage deactivated the line and closed my account. I wasn't having any problems, but it seemed to be more efficient to just have that line as another phone number in my AT&T family plan. I can still use it as a desk phone via a bluetooth link to my GE DECT phone system, and I can also use it as a bluetooth tethered backup Internet connection when needed.

Update: 10/15/2012:

My ping-pong relationship with Vonage is alive and well.

After experiencing frequent compatibility problems between my dual band zBoost repeater and the AT&T Samsung Solstice II phone to which I had ported my old business number, I ported that number back to Vonage (their $9.99 per month "Basic Talk" plan). The only "problem", I had with porting it back to Vonage was that the expedited number port only took two business days (instead of the 1-2 weeks that I was expecting), and the number port process completed before I received the new VDV23 adapter that Vonage insisted on shipping. Fortunately I still had my old Linksys RTP300, and I re-activated it so that I could use the line. If these two business day ports are now the normal time frame, Vonage needs to start shipping their adapters using an overnight method instead of their current default of 2-7 business days.

Update: 12/18/2012:

Today I cancelled my RingCentral fax service and setup a fax line with Vonage (again). The combination of swapping my old Comcast SMCD3G gateway for a Motorola SB6121 cable modem, and installing a ZyXEL switch with advanced priority based QoS has made faxing with Vonage doable again.* The only downside so far is that I initially had to use the VDV23 ATA in order to setup the fax line (I don't like the VDV23 for multiple reasons), but I may try using my old reliable RTP300 again in a few days now that the fax service is operational (I think that the Vonage server was just having a provisioning problem that coincidentally was resolved by the time I moved both of the lines to the VDV23). I will however probably keep using the »[Equipment] !#$%&! VDV23 for long enough to see if it still has the problem of dropping the connection every time the WAN DHCP lease renews, or if the new firmware that it seemed to download has fixed that problem.

The triggers for dumping RingCentral and activating a Vonage fax line were:
1. My RingCentral bill was getting ready to increase to make it the same price as the Vonage fax line (previously it was $5 per month cheaper).
2. RingCentral had started using PDF files for received faxes, and their conversion process produced horrible results (low resolution, smudging, drop out, etc).
3. The Vonage faxes are (at least currently) sharp and detailed (the way that the RingCentral faxes used to be when they used the native TIFF file format).

* Details on how my Comcast connection is configured to allow successful faxing using Vonage can be seen at: »Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing

DSLR nag bot update 08/23/2013:

The DSLR nag bot is bugging me for a review update, so here it is:

I currently have two $9.95 Vonage Basic Talk accounts running on a Comcast connection (one for voice, and the other for dual mode voice/fax). I use D-Link VTA-VR ATAs for the service because the VDV-23 boxes that Vonage currently ships are only good for landfill (if the EPA is reading this review, I am only kidding about the landfill...they are safely stored in their original shipping boxes on a shelf in a closet). Anyone who is interested in seeing how I have everything connected can view my current network diagram at: »www.dcs-net.net/image/DC ··· gram.gif

DSLR nag bot update 09/14/2014:

The DSLR nag bot is once again asking for a review update, so here it is:

Nothing new to report -- I still have the same two $9.95 Vonage Basic Talk accounts and I have no problems with the service. Note that my Vonage Basic Talk accounts (which are no longer available to new purchasers) are full featured "unlimited" US/Canada accounts, and not the stripped down BasicTalk branded service that Vonage sells through Walmart.

DSLR nag bot update 03/27/2015:

The DSLR nag bot is once again asking for a review update, so here it is:

Nothing much new to report at all -- the service still works with no problems.

member for 10.8 years, 6114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Ridiculously quick/easy set up, Cheaper then Cable VOIP, 7 Digit Dialing and more!"
Bad "Had a slight issue with payment during set up, hinky ports on the VDV23-VD ATA"
Overall "If you're looking to ditch expensive cable voice, give Vonage a try."

06/04/13

Well, here I am trying my hand at the VOIP ring again. Back in 2004, I got tired of AT&T after some major install woes and expense. The fact that we had just paid for install of jacks and all aside, my family started looking for an alternative for every day phone use.

Considering my new cable connection, I looked into Vonage, they didn't have the area code I wanted at the time. So that way out, otherwise I'd have Vonage now for almost a decade instead of just getting started. I found my actual VOIP service in AT&T CallVantage, the very company I was itching to leave: »Review of AT&T CallVantage by Chris 313

After a false start and some bad equipment, I got started and was with them from mid 2004 to June 2008 when I switched to Comcast Digital Voice service: »Review of Comcast Digital Voice by Chris 313

I've had that service from 2008 to now, but recently the rising price and temporary deals have got me down. So I went looking at Vonage again after almost a decade. They seem to have everything I want.

I got my questions answered and went for it. Signed up without much problem until I got to the payment side of things. It wouldn't take my card. After a bit, I got to the final page and payment issues persisted, they told me to call them and give them a ref number. I did. Talked to a CSR named Mary after a moment on hold. She spoke english and I could understand her. She had a bit of an accent, though. Eh, I got everything she said . She took my card again and it went through after a few minutes and things got set up. My service is active with a temporary number, but since I don't have the box yet, I can't use the service.

She told me that I'll be receiving the hardware either this Friday or next monday. That's fast service if I do say so, especially with no activation, no shipping and free equipment.

It was also mentioned when I signed up that I'll be getting a 30 dollar Best Buy giftcard. I'll be using that to buy my new modem and cut the price down from 100 down to about 50 with the price matching and all. So yay!

When I get the Vonage box in, I'll also check the status of my number port as I requested to have my number transferred from Comcast to Vonage when I signed up.
If it doesn't work out though, I'll see about getting a number from Vonage themselves. I also looked into it when I was mock signing up, just in case. I found one pretty easy to memorize and it sticks in the head, so we'll see. I'm hoping I get my current number and everything goes ok.

More to come later, after I get service actually installed.

Update: 6/7/13

Well, on 6/6 I was told that my number transfer would happen on the 7th, the same day as I would get my Vonage Box in. It worked flawlessly. Number works perfectly too. Set up was mostly a snap. Had to reset my equipment to get everything to play nice, but after that, everything's cooking. Got 7 Digit dialing, so that's a plus. VOIP services have gone a long way since my 4 year encounter with AT&T CallVantage from 2004-2008.

The only 3 things that I've noticed that mar a perfect review across the board is the ATA box they sent for the service. They use a VDV23-VD unit according to the paperwork and the one I got seems to have a bad router port. The Cat 5 cable just slides right in, not even bothering to lock in like the modem port right next to it, so anyone can just come up and yank the cable right out with very little effort. Still, I can work around this and won't be bothered by this too much. If I am, I'll call up Vonage and have them send me a new box and see if that's it or if they're all like that?

And the second thing, the way it's currently hooked up to work is limiting my system to 100 Full Duplex vs 1000 without the Vonage box in the mix. Gonna get some answers to see what I can do to fix this. For an 80 dollar device, I think I expected more, but I'm not too bothered by this either. For every problem there is a solution.

The third thing is potentially dropped calls to some numbers. I called my girl, who was expecting the call beforehand and I tried 2 times and each time it rang, ending with a message about a VM inbox that hadn't been set up yet. When she finally picked up, she talked for 2 seconds and the call dropped. I think this was on her end since she said her signal was bouncing in and out. So we'll try again later and see. Every other call I made went through flawlessly and it may be just me, but I could swear everything's louder and clearer then it was with Comcast voice service.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service and look forward to putting Vonage through it's paces and saving 30 bucks a month at least on my bill.

More to come as I test this out and fix the issues I mentioned.

Update: 6/8/13

Well, I've got feelers out about the 30 dollar Best Buy and the hinky Vonage Box. I did manage to solve the hook up problem I was having. I was doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· 7rxkKpt0

when I should've been doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· C09IwmMs

Seems I also didn't give everything enough time to shake hands. (Another product of my being tired at the time.)

Vonage has really made setting up their service dirt simple and much improved from my last VOIP experience.

Had a power outage in the afternoon today that killed everything, my UPS gave me enough time to shut everything off before power completely ran out, but I noticed I lost connection to my EMTA that my former Comcast Digital Voice service used to provide me their phone service. The battery didn't keep the connection up this time. It won't matter much longer as I'll be buying my own modem and using my existing UPS as my batteries for things like the Vonage Box, modem and router.

When the connection came back on, I noticed that the telephone related lights, including the battery one were off. Guess they really do only supply power from the battery to power only the phone service. Regardless, Vonage seems to have kept their word that after porting my number from Comcast Digital Voice to Vonage, they would have my Comcast voice service disconnected for me. I'm glad to see them keeping their word.

I love the service so far.

Update: 6/9/13

With the help of a fellow Vonage user and DSLR member, Netfixer I've solved my issue with the jacks on the back of the VDV23-VD that Vonage sent me to use with their service

"About the Ethernet cable not seating:

I seem to recall that with the VDV23 boxes (I no longer use that particular ATA for other reasons) the Ethernet ports require that you push hard (and also jostle the connector a bit) to override a threshold. Once that is done, the cable is very firmly seated (in fact removing it also requires a bit of jostling because it is very tight)."

That was exactly the issue and now I've solved it, I won't be unplugging that thing for anything. It's sad, since it should be just put it in, it clicks, done. And it's not.

Now all that I believe remains is to find out where is my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card? Once I find this out, I'll really be a happy camper...

Update: 8/7/13

Got my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card in the mail from Vonage today. Gonna use it to buy my own modem for my Comcast service. So far, I now have absolutely no complaints about the Vonage service. They did everything they've said they would.

Update: 9/5/13

Well, today, I noticed my 3 month Vonage intro at 17.44 a month has expired and I'm now paying full price at 35.01. Still, it's cheaper then Comcast's solution at 60 or more a month and with the gift card bought modem, I'm saving a total of 31.99 a month over my previous set up. I think I'll look into trying to get that 9.99 a month for life plan I've seen around. But if I don't, 35 bucks is not bad over what I had before.

Update: 3/25/15

After nearly 2 years of Vonage service, and a few dollars increase, there's not much to say about the service. It's worked and it's a great service for anyone looking for an alternative to cable VOIP. Although, if the price and plan are right, I'm giving thought to going all cell, if I'm going to be paying the same money to Vonage.

member for 10.7 years, 6308 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
·Vonage

Vonage is terrific

In the nearly 4 years I've had Vonage, there has been only ONE rate increase ($1/month); the rest have been taxes and fees that are mandated by the government.

As far as dropped calls, you can tinker with the settings in your adapter such as the QOS. Depending on your internet use (e.g. multi-users), sometimes the QOS settings interfere with the Comcast upload speeds and voice quality. Vonage customer service is top notch; even email replies are to the point and not the canned junk !!

Review by ZZZZZZZ See Profile

• Location: Winfield,BC

I ordered this plan when Shaw refused to keep my old number and have had this plan for over 5 yrs now.

Very satisfied with the quality and service.

@$23 a month it's pretty cheap.

Naturally the only drawback is when the internet fails but the modem responds immediately when it's restored.

member for 13.9 years, 5980 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Follow the directions to install, sound excellent, website good."
Bad "Sales rep lied; special price only good for 3 months."
Overall "Very pleased with Vonage, except for the uptick in price. I will probably use it again in the future, now that I have the box."

·Charter
2-3-2015: No change in status, no phone service here. I still have my BlackBerry Q10, and that's my only phone service. No plans to change that any time soon, as I'm retired and living on a fixed income now, and it's a lot more important to me to have a phone I can keep on me. Can't afford any extraneous charges these days.

5-1-14: I previously listed the situation with Vonage, and then switching over to BasicTalk. I have since cancelled BasicTalk, as I found myself never using the house phone and it was a waste of money to continue to pay for it. I have a BlackBerry Q10 from AT&T, and that is my only phone; I've been an avid BlackBerry phone user for many years now, and depend on it completely. Having a house phone just isn't necessary for me here, so no more Vonage or BasicTalk for me.

****************************************************************************************************

9-20-2013: I was at Walmart a few months ago, and a Vonage sales rep was there too; he told me that the Vonage service was $9.99 a month "forever". After talking with him, I decided to give Vonage another shot. Besides the new Vonage box, I also received, free of charge, a set of Motorola (Model L603M) cordless phones with 3 handsets, running DECT 6.0. That alone was worth it, since my very old cordless phones run at the same frequency as my wireless. It was a paininnabutt to get the service working; you actually have to follow the directions for setup, to get it working. DUH!!! Once it was up and running, service was excellent; the call quality, particularly after using a MagicJack a few years ago (what a piece of junk...), was beyond compare. Then I went online to set up everything, and hit the roof when I discovered that the $9.99 was a 3-month special, and the price would go up to $29.99/month after the special was over; that sales rep lied to me! Needless to say, I was really PO'd about this. When I was getting close to the end of the 3-month special, I called Vonage and cancelled the service. I had already looked into BasicTalk from Walmart, and had ordered it and set it up. It works every bit as well as the Vonage service did, and I got a REALLY big surprise when I went out to the website to set up voicemail, etc. Walmart's BasicTalk website is identical to the Vonage website, except for the difference in names. So, I still have the same quality of service as I did with Vonage, except for a little bit smaller box that I have mounted on the wall (to keep it away from my dogs). When I cancelled the Vonage service, I asked about returning the Vonage box; I was told to keep it! It also acts as a router, so I have an emergency spare if needed. If BasicTalk takes a header for some reason, I can switch back to Vonage; their service when you already have a box, is just $9.99/month with no contract. In the meantime, I have the little BasicTalk box here, it's up and running, and I still have the same excellent call quality that I had with Vonage. I suspect that Walmart is running their service on top of Vonage, and that's not a problem for me!

9-23-2007: No change in status, no phone service here. I have an AT&T cell phone, and that's my only phone service. As a Charter employee, I opted out of their phone service to save on money; just use the cell phone now.

9-12-2007: My little Vonage box is living a happy life in New York now. My living circumstances changed, and rather than cancel my Vonage account, I transferred it to a friend of mine in New York. I had been hassling her for a couple of years to get Vonage, and this gave me the perfect excuse to dump it in her lap! *evil grin* She is no longer shelling out $200+ a month for phone bills, I'm no longer bitching at her to get Vonage because I'm tired of hearing her gripe about her huge phone bills, and my Vonage box got to hop on a plane and take a trip to a new home, where it is happily helping to rescue Greyhounds now -- LOL!!!

Seriously, there is a Vonage setup here (new digs), but it doesn't belong to me. I miss having my Vonage, but will sign up for it again when things settle down in my life. One of the things that I did do was to grab a couple of Vonage modems for almost nothing, when CompUSA was having their "going out of business" sales here. So I'm ready with the hardware when my situation changes again, and will look forward to having Vonage back in my life again!

I've had Vonage for a year now, and have been very pleased with it. Having a high level of broadband is a must for good sound quality! (A friend is on a "bronze package" with Charter, has Vonage, and his sound quality is less than desirable; he has to log his systems offline to use his Vonage.)

I did find the Vonage installation instructions a little strange; they could have been better written. Being a geek, it was easier to just figure out what went where, and set it up with minimal help from the directions. Once the Vonage line came up, it was good to go! My only downtime has been when Charter was down during a huge power outage earlier this year.

FCC needs to get the 911 situation finalized and worked out permanently. It's been delayed for the last several months, and it's ridiculous to have this dragged out this long.

Overall, I'm a very happy Vonage user! I have no problems with continuing to recommend Vonage to friends.

member for 14 years, 6117 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

anon name

@spcsdns.net

advertising

Your Charles Manson look a like in commercial's has made it hard if not impossible to choose your services
twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA
·Vestalink

1 recommendation

Overpriced/Bad International call

I don't think I will pay for about $30 for VOIP service. I am even not sure if the $30 price tag contain tax or not.
I have to cancel my contract after one one week because even they claim it is $9.99 per month, the actual charge is over $16. Moreover, the international calls are really bad compare to others that I used. From my limited experience with Vonage, I feel it is overpriced. I just don't think it worth the cost.

Review by mahermusic See Profile

• Location: U.S.A.
Good "Low $$$, Crystal Clear Sound Quality, Much better service than Verizon"
Overall "Get it.... save the moolah!"

We're hitting our 12-Year anniversary with Vonage on March 7, 2015. Service is reliable, and sound quality is crystal-clear. No problems ever in those 12 years.

Also got nine Vonage referrals within that time, some of those going on or past their 10-year anniversary.

I'm so happy I ditched POTS all those years ago.... I've saved SO MUCH $$$ from AT&T and Verizon over that time.... makes me smile just thinking about it!

Attaboy, Vonage!!!

member for 13.7 years, 3820 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

buzzcoy

@charter.com

Re: reply

Yup, of course!

Review by TimeLord04 See Profile

• Location: Danville,Contra Costa,CA
Good "EXCELLENT VoIP service."
Bad "Prices and Fees go up considerably each year."
Overall "Would definitely recommend to others."

I've been a Vonage Customer since 2005. Their order process is pretty simple; they ported my number(s) with relative ease. The Vonage device, activation, and porting of number(s) were free, (with one year contract), I paid shipping of device. ($9.95)

Installation was simple. I connected the device to my router; then, to the RJ-11 Jack to back-feed through the house wiring. Connected my Phone system, (answering machine with phone on base, and four cordless handsets), to the corresponding RJ-11 jack in my bedroom. Tweaked the "Features" on my Account via Vonage Website; fairly simple.

I absolutely LOVE being able to call friends in the UK, and Australia for free/included in my Vonage World package! (I got my dad to convert his home phone, business and fax lines all to Vonage as well.)

Compared to a traditional POTS line from AT&T, (service provider for POTS in my area), Vonage has been cheaper. I will NEVER go back to POTS for service. (Might have a line hooked up to get a local number ported to Vonage; but, I'd never keep a POTS line, again.)

Comments:

Review by FureverFurry See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Tremendous value, great call quality, knowledgeable phone personnel and fanatastic features!"
Bad "Increasing hold times (but agents are knowledgeable and worth the wait); increasing "fees"."
Overall "Would recommend Vonage service in a heartbeat !"

We've been more than happy with Vonage service for close to 4 years now. The price listed here ($65) is for TWO lines and a virtual number (and the fees/taxes). VonageWorld ($25.99/mo) with no contact is fantastic.

One of the BEST features is the network availability number, so that if one's internet is down, the VOIP will ring to whatever phone (landline, cell) you enter. Also: no telemarketing, no "sharing" of information as some ISP and other VOIP providers do.

Tech support is great, but ...! Like so many other companies, Vonage is outsourcing and the heavy accents (sorry) can be really hard to understand. However, the agents ARE qualified and don't read from a script. Tech support via email gives actual, helpful responses specific to an inquiry -- non of the "canned" stuff. When we had to get a replacement adapter box, the process was easy. Best of all - no pesky monthly "rental" fees !!

Vonage has only raised their fees once; the other nickle/dime increases are from government mandated fees/taxes which is for any phone line. We tried VOIP from an ISP .. never again. Rates too high, not enough features, etc etc.

Vonage - our our opinion - is the best ever. Now if they'd only add selective call screening ...

UPDATE - 10/12/2013:
Vonage tech support rocks !!! Experienced a wee bit of an irritation in calling overseas which was hearing "dead air" rather than the ringing tone which occurred once before about 12-15 months ago. After completing the Vonage online email form along with the 3 call samples I knew they needed, I received a DETAILED email addressing my issue -- and what Vonage had done to fix the problem (adjustments on their end). Problem solved; and received a telephone call to make sure everything was working properly.

Compare that tech support to script-reading CAEs, or canned emails. I also noticed that even 'tho some of the tech support folks have heavy dialects, they are definitely enunciating more.

VonageWorld has gone up a whole $1/month to $26.99 (no contract): it's still a great deal for the calls we make. Still very, very happy with them.

UPDATE - DECEMBER 2014
Over 5 years now with Vonage and still very pleased with both their features, support AND pricing. I have VonageWorld, a second non-World line plus a virtual number and have received a small "customer loyalty" discount plan (no contract).

Connection quality is fantastic. My one and only issue is with dialing one particular residential UK number that - about every 4-5 weeks - goes off to dead air rather than ringing. After bonding with Vonage Level III support several times, it's a call routing issue which they address with the UK carrier.

My experience with both their billing and tech support is great. They actually answer emails with an appropriate response and not the "canned" garbage so many companies do. Tech and billing folks have always been knowledgeable in my experiences, but Vonage IS relying upon more outsourced support. But -- they are knowledgeable.

The "bad": prices creeping up but are acceptable to me. The new adapters (VDV-22 and -23) don't have the display like the VDV-21.

Now -- I realize folks like other VOIP providers. This is just my review of 5+ years with Vonage. I'm happy with Vonage and NOT interested in changing.

member for 3.1 years, 616 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Innocence is bliss

There is a reason that Vonage's reviews and ratings put it at the bottom of the 'Good, the Bad, the Ugly' VoIP providers list: »/gbu

Those of us who subscribe to providers like Voip.ms, Anveo, CallCentric, Future-Nine, VOIPo ... and others discussed in the BBR Forums ... are paying much lower monthly/annual fees with many providers charging no taxes or add-on fees ... and offering far more features that even noobies would find useful (such as selective Call Block):
»Re: Vonage

By the way, all of the well-liked VoIP providers have their support centers in the U.S. or Canada.

Nobody is insulting Vonage customers for their loyalty to Vonage. We are aware that Vonage users simply don't appear to exhibit curiosity when better (and certainly less expensive) options are available.

Hey, think of us this way --- at least we don't denigrate Vonage users as we do those who use MagicJack, NetTalk and certain other providers with horrible products & service.
System

(topic offline) Some other options for you to consider ...

Moderator Action
This entire topic was removed, either temporarily, or permanently.

stated reason was: trollock

Review by ricklg See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Price, Voice Quality"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "It seems I made a good choice"

Update: December 1, 2014

I guess I can declare victory because everyone billed me the right amount and then stopped billing (Verizon and ECG). Vonage bills me the $19.84 as I expect. I am still pleased with the service, but I have reduced "Call Quality" and "Reliability" one level. I sometimes get a disconnect on long (over 30 minute) calls. I call right back and everything is fine. This isn't a show-stopper, just an annoyance I didn't have before. Caller ID stopped giving me names for a few days. Again, no big deal, but strange.

Original: August 22, 2014

After 41 years I changed my phone service on August 6. My total monthly cost before making any calls was $31 with Verizon and ECG. I am a light phone user often not making any phone calls during the month.

After some research I decided that Vonage looked like a good choice. They weren't the cheapest, but seemed to be the best value with a good track record. I chose the 400 minutes ($12.99) plan with a 1 year contract. They were upfront that the total monthly charge would be $19.84 with the "crap" added. I ported my 41 year old phone number (a cherished friend) as well. I jumped in with both feet knowing that there were quite a few things that could go wrong with this. After all I'm saving a whole $11/month

I got the email that told me my number would be ported on August 11, the day the hardware was to arrive. I was concerned, but I have a cell phone as backup so this wasn't a big deal. The hardware arrived as scheduled. I plugged the Vonage box in and got dial tone. As dial tone is locally generated in these devices I called myself. Verizon rang. I called the other way. Vonage rang. This only worked for a few hours before Verizon pulled the plug, but I knew it worked They provide installation instructions, but it was rather obvious for the non-technically challenged The phone number ported an hour later. The next day (8/12) I unplugged Verizon from the house network interface so now Vonage provided dial tone to all the phones in the house. A couple of hours later customer support from Vonage called to see if I liked their service and if I had any problems. As the install went flawlessly and this was the first call I had had there wasn't much to say. Vonage seems to care about new customers. I was impressed.

My other concern was billing. How many ways can this go wrong? The August Verizon bill shows dial tone service terminated and a $0.90 bill. ECG shows my account cancelled. Vonage will charge my credit card in September. All of this seems to have gone right too, but I'll wait a month or two before I declare victory.

I may sound like Eeyore, but dealing with Comcast incompetence/not caring for over 15 years has reduced my expectations for new companies. I have cautiously gotten my hopes up that this will go well.

member for 11.1 years, 3271 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Sequim,Clallam,WA
Good "worked as well as Qwest did for audio quality."
Bad "Downtime was pretty bad. Cost was quite high compared to other providers."
Overall "To many other competitive services with equal or better quality to deal with the higher cost."

·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband
·OlyPen, Inc.
We at one time had 4 numbers with these guys 10+ years ago. We had server outages at first that lasted pretty much all day. Circa 2009 I started slowly moving lines away from them. Our last line (Primary + fax line) cost 64.xx after taxes monthly. I now pay 1/4 of that for the same number and have better up time.

Vonage business now calls me pretty regularly to gain back my business.

Comments:

jupacual

@76.29.140.x

Do not do vonage

This guys are thieves. Customer service pretty bad and equipment provided is less than garbage.

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Good "Works great, just does"
Bad "No unwanted call killer list"
Overall "would not go back to wired"

·Cox HSI
We make a lot of international calls (Asia and Europe), very little domestic. Fixed price unlimited global calling.

Have moved states a few times and no problem moving the Vonage box.
We were able to keep our original phone numbers and get ones in the states we moved to, very nice feature. This system just works.
We use 6 vetch wireless phones and have the Vonage box connected to the base unit, call quality is usually very clear, if the line is bad, we just hang up and call again.
Very few dropped calls below 30 minutes duration, about the same as we had for AT&T or Sprint land lines.

Voice messages go as text to email and then to our cell phones, as text and voice file, very smooth.

The website is fine, when we need to go there which is not very often.

As we use Windows phones we have not tried the feature that allows calling from cell phones, last time I looked it was Android only but that was a long time ago.

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

Linking mobiles to Vonage

Although there is not yet an app for Windows phones, you can still link your mobile number(s) to Vonage. To call abroad, you dial a local access number, then key your PIN and the destination number. By programming a Contact with appropriate pauses, this can be automated. There is no charge by Vonage (for destinations included in your plan), though calls will use cellular minutes (if your mobile plan is not unlimited). See »support.vonage.com/app/a ··· -numbers . The linked phone feature works independently from your Vonage box, so it's useful even from home, e.g. to make a call while your wife or kid is on the home line. You can also use it for domestic calls from your mobile, when you don't want the callee to see your mobile number.

"No unwanted call killer list" . You may find this free service useful: »www.nomorobo.com/

My calls are also mostly international, but I've found pay-per-minute services to be both less expensive and more flexible. Of course, this depends on your usage level and destinations called. What's your approximate monthly outbound minutes usage? Which countries do you call the most? Landlines or cellular? If you make many calls not included in your Vonage plan, which destinations are those?
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Re: Linking mobiles to Vonage

Stewart,
Thanks, I used the same calling features back in 1995 when I was in Japan and Korea. Is it too much to think that by now an App would be available? At least the "new" iPhone has caught up with Android 2007

Based on the reviews, nomorobo seems to worth looking at, but I would sooner charge the robo caller $10 a minute or fraction thereof.