Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by TimeLord04 See Profile

• Location: Danville,Contra Costa,CA
Good "EXCELLENT VoIP service."
Bad "Prices and Fees go up considerably each year."
Overall "Would definitely recommend to others."

I've been a Vonage Customer since 2005. Their order process is pretty simple; they ported my number(s) with relative ease. The Vonage device, activation, and porting of number(s) were free, (with one year contract), I paid shipping of device. ($9.95)

Installation was simple. I connected the device to my router; then, to the RJ-11 Jack to back-feed through the house wiring. Connected my Phone system, (answering machine with phone on base, and four cordless handsets), to the corresponding RJ-11 jack in my bedroom. Tweaked the "Features" on my Account via Vonage Website; fairly simple.

I absolutely LOVE being able to call friends in the UK, and Australia for free/included in my Vonage World package! (I got my dad to convert his home phone, business and fax lines all to Vonage as well.)

Compared to a traditional POTS line from AT&T, (service provider for POTS in my area), Vonage has been cheaper. I will NEVER go back to POTS for service. (Might have a line hooked up to get a local number ported to Vonage; but, I'd never keep a POTS line, again.)

Comments:

Review by FureverFurry See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Tremendous value, great call quality, knowledgeable phone personnel and fanatastic features!"
Bad "Increasing hold times (but agents are knowledgeable and worth the wait); increasing "fees"."
Overall "Would recommend Vonage service in a heartbeat !"

We've been more than happy with Vonage service for close to 4 years now. The price listed here ($65) is for TWO lines and a virtual number (and the fees/taxes). VonageWorld ($25.99/mo) with no contact is fantastic.

One of the BEST features is the network availability number, so that if one's internet is down, the VOIP will ring to whatever phone (landline, cell) you enter. Also: no telemarketing, no "sharing" of information as some ISP and other VOIP providers do.

Tech support is great, but ...! Like so many other companies, Vonage is outsourcing and the heavy accents (sorry) can be really hard to understand. However, the agents ARE qualified and don't read from a script. Tech support via email gives actual, helpful responses specific to an inquiry -- non of the "canned" stuff. When we had to get a replacement adapter box, the process was easy. Best of all - no pesky monthly "rental" fees !!

Vonage has only raised their fees once; the other nickle/dime increases are from government mandated fees/taxes which is for any phone line. We tried VOIP from an ISP .. never again. Rates too high, not enough features, etc etc.

Vonage - our our opinion - is the best ever. Now if they'd only add selective call screening ...

UPDATE - 10/12/2013:
Vonage tech support rocks !!! Experienced a wee bit of an irritation in calling overseas which was hearing "dead air" rather than the ringing tone which occurred once before about 12-15 months ago. After completing the Vonage online email form along with the 3 call samples I knew they needed, I received a DETAILED email addressing my issue -- and what Vonage had done to fix the problem (adjustments on their end). Problem solved; and received a telephone call to make sure everything was working properly.

Compare that tech support to script-reading CAEs, or canned emails. I also noticed that even 'tho some of the tech support folks have heavy dialects, they are definitely enunciating more.

VonageWorld has gone up a whole $1/month to $26.99 (no contract): it's still a great deal for the calls we make. Still very, very happy with them.

UPDATE - DECEMBER 2014
Over 5 years now with Vonage and still very pleased with both their features, support AND pricing. I have VonageWorld, a second non-World line plus a virtual number and have received a small "customer loyalty" discount plan (no contract).

Connection quality is fantastic. My one and only issue is with dialing one particular residential UK number that - about every 4-5 weeks - goes off to dead air rather than ringing. After bonding with Vonage Level III support several times, it's a call routing issue which they address with the UK carrier.

My experience with both their billing and tech support is great. They actually answer emails with an appropriate response and not the "canned" garbage so many companies do. Tech and billing folks have always been knowledgeable in my experiences, but Vonage IS relying upon more outsourced support. But -- they are knowledgeable.

The "bad": prices creeping up but are acceptable to me. The new adapters (VDV-22 and -23) don't have the display like the VDV-21.

Now -- I realize folks like other VOIP providers. This is just my review of 5+ years with Vonage. I'm happy with Vonage and NOT interested in changing.

member for 2.8 years, 485 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Innocence is bliss

There is a reason that Vonage's reviews and ratings put it at the bottom of the 'Good, the Bad, the Ugly' VoIP providers list: »/gbu

Those of us who subscribe to providers like Voip.ms, Anveo, CallCentric, Future-Nine, VOIPo ... and others discussed in the BBR Forums ... are paying much lower monthly/annual fees with many providers charging no taxes or add-on fees ... and offering far more features that even noobies would find useful (such as selective Call Block):
»Re: Vonage

By the way, all of the well-liked VoIP providers have their support centers in the U.S. or Canada.

Nobody is insulting Vonage customers for their loyalty to Vonage. We are aware that Vonage users simply don't appear to exhibit curiosity when better (and certainly less expensive) options are available.

Hey, think of us this way --- at least we don't denigrate Vonage users as we do those who use MagicJack, NetTalk and certain other providers with horrible products & service.
System

(topic offline) Some other options for you to consider ...

Moderator Action
This entire topic was removed, either temporarily, or permanently.

stated reason was: trollock

Review by ricklg See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Price, Voice Quality"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "It seems I made a good choice"

Update: December 1, 2014

I guess I can declare victory because everyone billed me the right amount and then stopped billing (Verizon and ECG). Vonage bills me the $19.84 as I expect. I am still pleased with the service, but I have reduced "Call Quality" and "Reliability" one level. I sometimes get a disconnect on long (over 30 minute) calls. I call right back and everything is fine. This isn't a show-stopper, just an annoyance I didn't have before. Caller ID stopped giving me names for a few days. Again, no big deal, but strange.

Original: August 22, 2014

After 41 years I changed my phone service on August 6. My total monthly cost before making any calls was $31 with Verizon and ECG. I am a light phone user often not making any phone calls during the month.

After some research I decided that Vonage looked like a good choice. They weren't the cheapest, but seemed to be the best value with a good track record. I chose the 400 minutes ($12.99) plan with a 1 year contract. They were upfront that the total monthly charge would be $19.84 with the "crap" added. I ported my 41 year old phone number (a cherished friend) as well. I jumped in with both feet knowing that there were quite a few things that could go wrong with this. After all I'm saving a whole $11/month

I got the email that told me my number would be ported on August 11, the day the hardware was to arrive. I was concerned, but I have a cell phone as backup so this wasn't a big deal. The hardware arrived as scheduled. I plugged the Vonage box in and got dial tone. As dial tone is locally generated in these devices I called myself. Verizon rang. I called the other way. Vonage rang. This only worked for a few hours before Verizon pulled the plug, but I knew it worked They provide installation instructions, but it was rather obvious for the non-technically challenged The phone number ported an hour later. The next day (8/12) I unplugged Verizon from the house network interface so now Vonage provided dial tone to all the phones in the house. A couple of hours later customer support from Vonage called to see if I liked their service and if I had any problems. As the install went flawlessly and this was the first call I had had there wasn't much to say. Vonage seems to care about new customers. I was impressed.

My other concern was billing. How many ways can this go wrong? The August Verizon bill shows dial tone service terminated and a $0.90 bill. ECG shows my account cancelled. Vonage will charge my credit card in September. All of this seems to have gone right too, but I'll wait a month or two before I declare victory.

I may sound like Eeyore, but dealing with Comcast incompetence/not caring for over 15 years has reduced my expectations for new companies. I have cautiously gotten my hopes up that this will go well.

member for 10.7 years, 3173 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Sequim,Clallam,WA
Good "worked as well as Qwest did for audio quality."
Bad "Downtime was pretty bad. Cost was quite high compared to other providers."
Overall "To many other competitive services with equal or better quality to deal with the higher cost."

·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband
We at one time had 4 numbers with these guys 10+ years ago. We had server outages at first that lasted pretty much all day. Circa 2009 I started slowly moving lines away from them. Our last line (Primary + fax line) cost 64.xx after taxes monthly. I now pay 1/4 of that for the same number and have better up time.

Vonage business now calls me pretty regularly to gain back my business.

Comments:

jupacual

@76.29.140.x

Do not do vonage

This guys are thieves. Customer service pretty bad and equipment provided is less than garbage.

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Good "Works great, just does"
Bad "No unwanted call killer list"
Overall "would not go back to wired"

·Cox HSI
We make a lot of international calls (Asia and Europe), very little domestic. Fixed price unlimited global calling.

Have moved states a few times and no problem moving the Vonage box.
We were able to keep our original phone numbers and get ones in the states we moved to, very nice feature. This system just works.
We use 6 vetch wireless phones and have the Vonage box connected to the base unit, call quality is usually very clear, if the line is bad, we just hang up and call again.
Very few dropped calls below 30 minutes duration, about the same as we had for AT&T or Sprint land lines.

Voice messages go as text to email and then to our cell phones, as text and voice file, very smooth.

The website is fine, when we need to go there which is not very often.

As we use Windows phones we have not tried the feature that allows calling from cell phones, last time I looked it was Android only but that was a long time ago.

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

Linking mobiles to Vonage

Although there is not yet an app for Windows phones, you can still link your mobile number(s) to Vonage. To call abroad, you dial a local access number, then key your PIN and the destination number. By programming a Contact with appropriate pauses, this can be automated. There is no charge by Vonage (for destinations included in your plan), though calls will use cellular minutes (if your mobile plan is not unlimited). See »support.vonage.com/app/answers/d···-numbers . The linked phone feature works independently from your Vonage box, so it's useful even from home, e.g. to make a call while your wife or kid is on the home line. You can also use it for domestic calls from your mobile, when you don't want the callee to see your mobile number.

"No unwanted call killer list" . You may find this free service useful: »www.nomorobo.com/

My calls are also mostly international, but I've found pay-per-minute services to be both less expensive and more flexible. Of course, this depends on your usage level and destinations called. What's your approximate monthly outbound minutes usage? Which countries do you call the most? Landlines or cellular? If you make many calls not included in your Vonage plan, which destinations are those?
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Re: Linking mobiles to Vonage

Stewart,
Thanks, I used the same calling features back in 1995 when I was in Japan and Korea. Is it too much to think that by now an App would be available? At least the "new" iPhone has caught up with Android 2007

Based on the reviews, nomorobo seems to worth looking at, but I would sooner charge the robo caller $10 a minute or fraction thereof.

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "The service works well, and it is not AT&T."
Bad "Actually, at this time, I can't think of any bad points."
Overall "The service works well, and it is not AT&T."

I have edited this review thread to remove ancient entries that are currently irrelevant. I will now only maintain relatively current information in this thread.

Ancient history summary:
I have been an on and off Vonage customer since 2004. I migrated to AT&T CallVantage for a while, but returned to Vonage when AT&T shutdown their CallVantage service.

Update: 01/01/2012:

Nothing much new to report, but the DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review:

I currently only have my business line with Vonage (which now gets very light usage because I am retired), and it is on their $9.95 (plus bogus fees) plan. Most of the calls on that line are incoming, and the $9.95 plan still has unlimited inbound calls, so all is good.

I did recently drop my Vonage fax line because of problems that developed after changing my ISP from AT&T to Comcast (I previously reported this on my Comcast review). A recent Comcast SMC router firmware upgrade seems to have fixed that problem, but I don't trust it enough yet to cancel my RingCentral fax service and replace it with a Vonage fax line (which would be more expensive anyway with Vonage's added bogus fees).

Update: 08/11/2012:

The DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review, so here it is:

Not really much new to report. The service still works well, and I still use it. I did have to recently replace my ancient Motorola VT2442 with my even more ancient Cisco/Linksys RTP300 because the VT2442 had started to intermittently lock up. I really hated to do that because the VT2442 had remote reboot capability and functioned quite well as a backup DNS forwarder; the RTP300 does not have remote reboot and it is a miserable DNS forwarder (timeouts are more common than successful DNS query responses).

I am toying with the idea of perhaps activating a dedicated Vonage fax line again; but I will probably wait until after Comcast releases their IPv6 firmware for my SMCD3G-CCR gateway so that I can verify that Vonage faxing will still work with that new firmware.

Update: 09/06/2012:

Well, once again I am no longer a Vonage customer. I ported my last Vonage line to AT&T yesterday, and today (after I gently reminded Vonage with an email because the line still showed as active and I could still make outgoing calls), Vonage deactivated the line and closed my account. I wasn't having any problems, but it seemed to be more efficient to just have that line as another phone number in my AT&T family plan. I can still use it as a desk phone via a bluetooth link to my GE DECT phone system, and I can also use it as a bluetooth tethered backup Internet connection when needed.

Update: 10/15/2012:

My ping-pong relationship with Vonage is alive and well.

After experiencing frequent compatibility problems between my dual band zBoost repeater and the AT&T Samsung Solstice II phone to which I had ported my old business number, I ported that number back to Vonage (their $9.99 per month "Basic Talk" plan). The only "problem", I had with porting it back to Vonage was that the expedited number port only took two business days (instead of the 1-2 weeks that I was expecting), and the number port process completed before I received the new VDV23 adapter that Vonage insisted on shipping. Fortunately I still had my old Linksys RTP300, and I re-activated it so that I could use the line. If these two business day ports are now the normal time frame, Vonage needs to start shipping their adapters using an overnight method instead of their current default of 2-7 business days.

Update: 12/18/2012:

Today I cancelled my RingCentral fax service and setup a fax line with Vonage (again). The combination of swapping my old Comcast SMCD3G gateway for a Motorola SB6121 cable modem, and installing a ZyXEL switch with advanced priority based QoS has made faxing with Vonage doable again.* The only downside so far is that I initially had to use the VDV23 ATA in order to setup the fax line (I don't like the VDV23 for multiple reasons), but I may try using my old reliable RTP300 again in a few days now that the fax service is operational (I think that the Vonage server was just having a provisioning problem that coincidentally was resolved by the time I moved both of the lines to the VDV23). I will however probably keep using the »[Equipment] !#$%&! VDV23 for long enough to see if it still has the problem of dropping the connection every time the WAN DHCP lease renews, or if the new firmware that it seemed to download has fixed that problem.

The triggers for dumping RingCentral and activating a Vonage fax line were:
1. My RingCentral bill was getting ready to increase to make it the same price as the Vonage fax line (previously it was $5 per month cheaper).
2. RingCentral had started using PDF files for received faxes, and their conversion process produced horrible results (low resolution, smudging, drop out, etc).
3. The Vonage faxes are (at least currently) sharp and detailed (the way that the RingCentral faxes used to be when they used the native TIFF file format).

* Details on how my Comcast connection is configured to allow successful faxing using Vonage can be seen at: »Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing

DSLR nag bot update 08/23/2013:

The DSLR nag bot is bugging me for a review update, so here it is:

I currently have two $9.95 Vonage Basic Talk accounts running on a Comcast connection (one for voice, and the other for dual mode voice/fax). I use D-Link VTA-VR ATAs for the service because the VDV-23 boxes that Vonage currently ships are only good for landfill (if the EPA is reading this review, I am only kidding about the landfill...they are safely stored in their original shipping boxes on a shelf in a closet). Anyone who is interested in seeing how I have everything connected can view my current network diagram at: »www.dcs-net.net/image/DCS-networ···gram.gif

DSLR nag bot update 09/14/2014:

The DSLR nag bot is once again asking for a review update, so here it is:

Nothing new to report -- I still have the same two $9.95 Vonage Basic Talk accounts and I have no problems with the service. Note that my Vonage Basic Talk accounts (which are no longer available to new purchasers) are full featured "unlimited" US/Canada accounts, and not the stripped down BasicTalk branded service that Vonage sells through Walmart.

member for 10.4 years, 5942 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Perfect quality, good value"
Bad "Website reliability a little shakey"
Overall "Excellent value!"

·Optimum Online
Ordered my line, got it in a few days. Plug-and-play - absolutely no problems. Took 4 weeks to get my number from at&t assigned - Vonage did everything after I sent in the paperwork, and sent an email with about 12 hours notice when the cutover was to occur.

The quality is excellent - better than my regular phone line. The value is incredible - 500 minutes anywhere in North America loaded with features (voice mail, callerid, etc) for 25% less than the cost of a stripped down POTS line from at&t!

The phone service has been 100% reliable since we got it. The website has had some issues.

We have a second phone line from at&t that we use for outgoing local calls and fax, as well as dialtone when the power is out. Vonage will forward our calls to the POTS line automatically when our internet is out. We also like POTS for 911 service - even though we setup Vonage for 911, I like having the true e911 through POTS.

One line, 500-minute plan. Total monthly bill: $19.50.

Been over 3 years now - working great!! Love the features (and the price!!).

Update: Over 4 years now, still working great!! Better quality and reliability than our POTS service from at&t.

Update May, 2009: 5 years now. Switched from the $20/mo 500 minute plan to the $300/yr unlimited plan. Now worry about minutes. No issues.

Update October, 2010: Over 6 years; service is still great. I REALLY like receiving my voicemail in my email - WITH a transcription of the message so I can read it instead of listening.

Update December, 2011: Another year of excellent service. $365 per year including all taxes and fees.

Update August, 2012: Still going strong. Thinking about dropping my POTS line now.

Update March, 2013: Finally did it - dropped my POTS line. Just cell and internet phones.

Update August, 2014. Bye-bye Vonage. Free phone from my cable company, and using cell mostly. Great service, but no longer needed.

member for 14.5 years, 6781 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "Good quality given *stable* internet."
Bad "Mnthly auto-billing to debit card sometimes double-charges"
Overall "Still well worth the money"

I've got the 500min per month package for $18 a month. I'm routing it thru a Linksys 2-phone, 4-ethernet device, sitting behind a Cisco PIX 501, connected to Verizon FiOS.

Calls were fairly choppy because Comcast was having issues with pole-mounted amplifiers in my neighborhood. When I went to FiOS Internet, whose issues evaporated; very stable voice quality after that.

I've only ever had Vonage, so i can't rate them against anyone else.

Porting my number from Verizon land-line, to Vonage took longer than expected. The number was not ported on the date promised. A call to tech support said, "oh yes, it is ported, we did it last nite". I insisted otherwise. "Ah, it must have not worked then." They then scheduled another port of my number which was another 2 weeks after their first try (first try took 2 weeks, thus to total of 30-day turnaround time in my ratings.) Second port worked, and have been happy ever since.

_________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Everything still just fine. Vonage introduced a feature where you can block calls from coming in, that have absent callerID info, and I use this. I wish they'd offer call blocking by matching a pattern (like 1-800-xxx-xxxx) for instance. Cost up to $22 from original $18, but it's still a good deal

_________________________

Update 1/20/2010 Price is up to $20 a month now, but is still a good deal. No huge technical problems.

_________________________

Update 3/26/2011 - Last summer, negotiated back to "Vonage Lite", from the 500min plan. Monthly dropped from $27 to $14! For as much as I use it, I still never go over the mins, and I'm almost saving 50%. One thing, when I call certain people, I have an annoying echo in the line where I can hear myself. Not sure if its related to the other persons' side, or whether it's Vonage; haven't investigated that much.

_____________________________

Update 2/6/2012 - Still going strong. I'm on the Vonage-Lite plan, and the billable amnt per month is still about ~$20/month. Service works consistantly. That echo thing I complained about before went away on its own. The only problem called them about, turned out to be my own internal wiring. Good call quality. Had a situation recently where the outgoing message was not heard by the person leaving a message (me!). Phonemail system busy I guess. Still well worth it in quality vs. $$ paid.

_______________________________

Update 1/19/14 -- Still worth the money. We don't use the phone alot, for the Vonage-Lite plan is great at ~$20 per month. I can't EVER remember a time when there was an outage at all. The only problem I ever had was ethernet cabling to the Vonage Adaptor, which was my fault. Worth the money. No problem, stable, good quality.

________________________________

Update 8/2/14 -- still going strong. The monthly charge creeps up 2-4 dollars per year, but I don't mind that. Still good quality.

Comments:

Ron

@bell.ca

Never buy this

They have appointed agents who are misguiding the customers. I returned it next day of buying. Plz check properly before buying.
batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

Re: Never buy this

Sorry you had a poor experience. I've had quite a good experience. Care to message me & tell me what happened? How were you mis-leaded?

Review by ilikeme See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Reliable, cost"
Bad "tech support isnt the greatest, but hardly needed"
Overall "Its a great deal, especially if its $9.99 for life"

I have had Vonage for about 4 years now and it has been great. Got locked on to the $9.99 unlimited for life plan, which comes to about $17 after taxes and fees. I have never had any trouble with it, even when taking it with me to the UK for a month.

member for 12.3 years, 5966 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

But---

It's not 9.99 a month, you are paying almost [double] that it seems to me.

And missing out on basic VoIP features like call blocking....

Vonage has more taxes/fees than most other VoIP providers.
twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

Re: But---

Agreed. The reviewer also said it is $17 per month. Put $9.99 in "Overall" is misleading.
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
And since the "for life" price doesn't include below-the-line fees, which can grow without limit, there isn't really any kind of fixed-price guarantee at all.

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Follow the directions to install, sound excellent, website good."
Bad "Sales rep lied; special price only good for 3 months."
Overall "Very pleased with Vonage, except for the uptick in price. I will probably use it again in the future, now that I have the box."

·Charter
5-1-14: I previously listed the situation with Vonage, and then switching over to BasicTalk. I have since cancelled BasicTalk, as I found myself never using the house phone and it was a waste of money to continue to pay for it. I have a BlackBerry Q10 from AT&T, and that is my only phone; I've been an avid BlackBerry phone user for many years now, and depend on it completely. Having a house phone just isn't necessary for me here, so no more Vonage or BasicTalk for me.

****************************************************************************************************

9-20-2013: I was at Walmart a few months ago, and a Vonage sales rep was there too; he told me that the Vonage service was $9.99 a month "forever". After talking with him, I decided to give Vonage another shot. Besides the new Vonage box, I also received, free of charge, a set of Motorola (Model L603M) cordless phones with 3 handsets, running DECT 6.0. That alone was worth it, since my very old cordless phones run at the same frequency as my wireless. It was a paininnabutt to get the service working; you actually have to follow the directions for setup, to get it working. DUH!!! Once it was up and running, service was excellent; the call quality, particularly after using a MagicJack a few years ago (what a piece of junk...), was beyond compare. Then I went online to set up everything, and hit the roof when I discovered that the $9.99 was a 3-month special, and the price would go up to $29.99/month after the special was over; that sales rep lied to me! Needless to say, I was really PO'd about this. When I was getting close to the end of the 3-month special, I called Vonage and cancelled the service. I had already looked into BasicTalk from Walmart, and had ordered it and set it up. It works every bit as well as the Vonage service did, and I got a REALLY big surprise when I went out to the website to set up voicemail, etc. Walmart's BasicTalk website is identical to the Vonage website, except for the difference in names. So, I still have the same quality of service as I did with Vonage, except for a little bit smaller box that I have mounted on the wall (to keep it away from my dogs). When I cancelled the Vonage service, I asked about returning the Vonage box; I was told to keep it! It also acts as a router, so I have an emergency spare if needed. If BasicTalk takes a header for some reason, I can switch back to Vonage; their service when you already have a box, is just $9.99/month with no contract. In the meantime, I have the little BasicTalk box here, it's up and running, and I still have the same excellent call quality that I had with Vonage. I suspect that Walmart is running their service on top of Vonage, and that's not a problem for me!

9-23-2007: No change in status, no phone service here. I have an AT&T cell phone, and that's my only phone service. As a Charter employee, I opted out of their phone service to save on money; just use the cell phone now.

9-12-2007: My little Vonage box is living a happy life in New York now. My living circumstances changed, and rather than cancel my Vonage account, I transferred it to a friend of mine in New York. I had been hassling her for a couple of years to get Vonage, and this gave me the perfect excuse to dump it in her lap! *evil grin* She is no longer shelling out $200+ a month for phone bills, I'm no longer bitching at her to get Vonage because I'm tired of hearing her gripe about her huge phone bills, and my Vonage box got to hop on a plane and take a trip to a new home, where it is happily helping to rescue Greyhounds now -- LOL!!!

Seriously, there is a Vonage setup here (new digs), but it doesn't belong to me. I miss having my Vonage, but will sign up for it again when things settle down in my life. One of the things that I did do was to grab a couple of Vonage modems for almost nothing, when CompUSA was having their "going out of business" sales here. So I'm ready with the hardware when my situation changes again, and will look forward to having Vonage back in my life again!

I've had Vonage for a year now, and have been very pleased with it. Having a high level of broadband is a must for good sound quality! (A friend is on a "bronze package" with Charter, has Vonage, and his sound quality is less than desirable; he has to log his systems offline to use his Vonage.)

I did find the Vonage installation instructions a little strange; they could have been better written. Being a geek, it was easier to just figure out what went where, and set it up with minimal help from the directions. Once the Vonage line came up, it was good to go! My only downtime has been when Charter was down during a huge power outage earlier this year.

FCC needs to get the 911 situation finalized and worked out permanently. It's been delayed for the last several months, and it's ridiculous to have this dragged out this long.

Overall, I'm a very happy Vonage user! I have no problems with continuing to recommend Vonage to friends.

member for 13.7 years, 5934 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

anon name

@spcsdns.net

advertising

Your Charles Manson look a like in commercial's has made it hard if not impossible to choose your services
twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

Overpriced/Bad International call

I don't think I will pay for about $30 for VOIP service. I am even not sure if the $30 price tag contain tax or not.
I have to cancel my contract after one one week because even they claim it is $9.99 per month, the actual charge is over $16. Moreover, the international calls are really bad compare to others that I used. From my limited experience with Vonage, I feel it is overpriced. I just don't think it worth the cost.