Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by ilikeme See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Reliable, cost"
Bad "tech support isnt the greatest, but hardly needed"
Overall "Its a great deal, especially if its $9.99 for life"

I have had Vonage for about 4 years now and it has been great. Got locked on to the $9.99 unlimited for life plan, which comes to about $17 after taxes and fees. I have never had any trouble with it, even when taking it with me to the UK for a month.

member for 11.9 years, 5760 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer

But---

It's not 9.99 a month, you are paying almost [double] that it seems to me.

And missing out on basic VoIP features like call blocking....

Vonage has more taxes/fees than most other VoIP providers.
twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

Re: But---

Agreed. The reviewer also said it is $17 per month. Put $9.99 in "Overall" is misleading.
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
And since the "for life" price doesn't include below-the-line fees, which can grow without limit, there isn't really any kind of fixed-price guarantee at all.

Review by Furrever Fur See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Tremendous value, great call quality, knowledgeable phone personnel and fanatastic features!"
Bad "Outsourced tech support during off-hours but they try"
Overall "Still the best. Would recommend Vonage service in a heartbeat !"

We've been more than happy with Vonage service for close to 4 years now. The price listed here ($65) is for TWO lines and a virtual number (and the fees/taxes). VonageWorld ($25.99/mo) with no contact is fantastic.

One of the BEST features is the network availability number, so that if one's internet is down, the VOIP will ring to whatever phone (landline, cell) you enter. Also: no telemarketing, no "sharing" of information as some ISP and other VOIP providers do.

Tech support is great, but ...! Like so many other companies, Vonage is outsourcing and the heavy accents (sorry) can be really hard to understand. However, the agents ARE qualified and don't read from a script. Tech support via email gives actual, helpful responses specific to an inquiry -- non of the "canned" stuff. When we had to get a replacement adapter box, the process was easy. Best of all - no pesky monthly "rental" fees !!

Vonage has only raised their fees once; the other nickle/dime increases are from government mandated fees/taxes which is for any phone line. We tried VOIP from an ISP .. never again. Rates too high, not enough features, etc etc.

Vonage - our our opinion - is the best ever. Now if they'd only add selective call screening ...

UPDATE - 10/12/2013:
Vonage tech support rocks !!! Experienced a wee bit of an irritation in calling overseas which was hearing "dead air" rather than the ringing tone which occurred once before about 12-15 months ago. After completing the Vonage online email form along with the 3 call samples I knew they needed, I received a DETAILED email addressing my issue -- and what Vonage had done to fix the problem (adjustments on their end). Problem solved; and received a telephone call to make sure everything was working properly.

Compare that tech support to script-reading CAEs, or canned emails. I also noticed that even 'tho some of the tech support folks have heavy dialects, they are definitely enunciating more.

VonageWorld has gone up a whole $1/month to $26.99 (no contract): it's still a great deal for the calls we make. Still very, very happy with them.

UPDATE - JUNE 2014
Still very, very pleased with Vonage VOIP service after 5+ years. It's reliable and - again - has features that are far superior to the competition, especially the so-called "bundled phone services". from certain ISPs.

Only kink is an increase in outsourced tech support during "off hours" (e.g. before 9 am EST). In fairness, they ARE knowledgeable and do go out of their way to enunciate. They are NOT "script-reading" bots -- they actually know their stuff.

Prices have inched up a few pennies due to mandated taxes/fees. Current price for VonageWorld, a second "regular" line and a virtual number + taxes/fees = $68. Happy camper w/Vonage.

member for 2.4 years, 303 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Innocence is bliss

There is a reason that Vonage's reviews and ratings put it at the bottom of the 'Good, the Bad, the Ugly' VoIP providers list: »/gbu

Those of us who subscribe to providers like Voip.ms, Anveo, CallCentric, Future-Nine, VOIPo ... and others discussed in the BBR Forums ... are paying much lower monthly/annual fees with many providers charging no taxes or add-on fees ... and offering far more features that even noobies would find useful (such as selective Call Block):
»Re: Vonage

By the way, all of the well-liked VoIP providers have their support centers in the U.S. or Canada.

Nobody is insulting Vonage customers for their loyalty to Vonage. We are aware that Vonage users simply don't appear to exhibit curiosity when better (and certainly less expensive) options are available.

Hey, think of us this way --- at least we don't denigrate Vonage users as we do those who use MagicJack, NetTalk and certain other providers with horrible products & service.
System

(topic offline) Some other options for you to consider ...

Moderator Action
This entire topic was removed, either temporarily, or permanently.

stated reason was: trollock

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Follow the directions to install, sound excellent, website good."
Bad "Sales rep lied; special price only good for 3 months."
Overall "Very pleased with Vonage, except for the uptick in price. I will probably use it again in the future, now that I have the box."

·Charter
5-1-14: I previously listed the situation with Vonage, and then switching over to BasicTalk. I have since cancelled BasicTalk, as I found myself never using the house phone and it was a waste of money to continue to pay for it. I have a BlackBerry Q10 from AT&T, and that is my only phone; I've been an avid BlackBerry phone user for many years now, and depend on it completely. Having a house phone just isn't necessary for me here, so no more Vonage or BasicTalk for me.

****************************************************************************************************

9-20-2013: I was at Walmart a few months ago, and a Vonage sales rep was there too; he told me that the Vonage service was $9.99 a month "forever". After talking with him, I decided to give Vonage another shot. Besides the new Vonage box, I also received, free of charge, a set of Motorola (Model L603M) cordless phones with 3 handsets, running DECT 6.0. That alone was worth it, since my very old cordless phones run at the same frequency as my wireless. It was a paininnabutt to get the service working; you actually have to follow the directions for setup, to get it working. DUH!!! Once it was up and running, service was excellent; the call quality, particularly after using a MagicJack a few years ago (what a piece of junk...), was beyond compare. Then I went online to set up everything, and hit the roof when I discovered that the $9.99 was a 3-month special, and the price would go up to $29.99/month after the special was over; that sales rep lied to me! Needless to say, I was really PO'd about this. When I was getting close to the end of the 3-month special, I called Vonage and cancelled the service. I had already looked into BasicTalk from Walmart, and had ordered it and set it up. It works every bit as well as the Vonage service did, and I got a REALLY big surprise when I went out to the website to set up voicemail, etc. Walmart's BasicTalk website is identical to the Vonage website, except for the difference in names. So, I still have the same quality of service as I did with Vonage, except for a little bit smaller box that I have mounted on the wall (to keep it away from my dogs). When I cancelled the Vonage service, I asked about returning the Vonage box; I was told to keep it! It also acts as a router, so I have an emergency spare if needed. If BasicTalk takes a header for some reason, I can switch back to Vonage; their service when you already have a box, is just $9.99/month with no contract. In the meantime, I have the little BasicTalk box here, it's up and running, and I still have the same excellent call quality that I had with Vonage. I suspect that Walmart is running their service on top of Vonage, and that's not a problem for me!

9-23-2007: No change in status, no phone service here. I have an AT&T cell phone, and that's my only phone service. As a Charter employee, I opted out of their phone service to save on money; just use the cell phone now.

9-12-2007: My little Vonage box is living a happy life in New York now. My living circumstances changed, and rather than cancel my Vonage account, I transferred it to a friend of mine in New York. I had been hassling her for a couple of years to get Vonage, and this gave me the perfect excuse to dump it in her lap! *evil grin* She is no longer shelling out $200+ a month for phone bills, I'm no longer bitching at her to get Vonage because I'm tired of hearing her gripe about her huge phone bills, and my Vonage box got to hop on a plane and take a trip to a new home, where it is happily helping to rescue Greyhounds now -- LOL!!!

Seriously, there is a Vonage setup here (new digs), but it doesn't belong to me. I miss having my Vonage, but will sign up for it again when things settle down in my life. One of the things that I did do was to grab a couple of Vonage modems for almost nothing, when CompUSA was having their "going out of business" sales here. So I'm ready with the hardware when my situation changes again, and will look forward to having Vonage back in my life again!

I've had Vonage for a year now, and have been very pleased with it. Having a high level of broadband is a must for good sound quality! (A friend is on a "bronze package" with Charter, has Vonage, and his sound quality is less than desirable; he has to log his systems offline to use his Vonage.)

I did find the Vonage installation instructions a little strange; they could have been better written. Being a geek, it was easier to just figure out what went where, and set it up with minimal help from the directions. Once the Vonage line came up, it was good to go! My only downtime has been when Charter was down during a huge power outage earlier this year.

FCC needs to get the 911 situation finalized and worked out permanently. It's been delayed for the last several months, and it's ridiculous to have this dragged out this long.

Overall, I'm a very happy Vonage user! I have no problems with continuing to recommend Vonage to friends.

member for 13.3 years, 5697 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

anon name

@spcsdns.net

advertising

Your Charles Manson look a like in commercial's has made it hard if not impossible to choose your services
twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

Overpriced/Bad International call

I don't think I will pay for about $30 for VOIP service. I am even not sure if the $30 price tag contain tax or not.
I have to cancel my contract after one one week because even they claim it is $9.99 per month, the actual charge is over $16. Moreover, the international calls are really bad compare to others that I used. From my limited experience with Vonage, I feel it is overpriced. I just don't think it worth the cost.

Review by Raptor7615 See Profile

• Location: Cedar Rapids,Linn,IA
Good "Easy to Install, Decent call quality"
Bad "Unethical, False Advertising, Horrible Customer Service"
Overall "Stay away from this unethical and crooked company"

I order Unlimited Philippines service. Vonage is easy to install and sound quality is good. After two months of use our service was stopped. I called to find out why and they said we were using the service to much. I asked what part of unlimited was too much. Customer service in this department started out out rude and got much worse. The unlimited they advertise is false and they say unlimited to draw you in but its only a ploy as they do have serious limits. My wife and her mom most likely called a lot at the beginning due to there excitement to call back home but it was not excessive. I told the rep that we would lower our useage from now on but she was not listening. One and done. I received no notice and had no warning just disconnected. My advice is to stay away from this unethical and crooked company. There business practices are borderline criminal.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
·callwithus

Unfortunate but not unexpected....

This has often been discussed in the VoIP forum here.

So-called "unlimited" plans are essentially flat-rate plans, and:

1) If the company makes a profit on you, then all is good.

2) If the company loses money on you, then you may be kicked out without ceremony.

You don't mention numbers of minutes, I would be curious to hear what the actual usage was. Probably quite high....

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·magicjack.com

Re: Unfortunate but not unexpected....

said by PX Eliezer:

Probably. he mentioned it himself. You have a family who suddenly can call for "free' to their home country so in the beginning the consumption is high, when you chat with all the friends and relatives, and he mentioned mother and sister and we all know how it is when women start to chat.
So it was probably 2-3 K minutes , possibly more, but personal use.
It is sad that some companies advertise "unlimited;" without clearly saying what that means.
And off course, there is the issue of due diligence here. There is no reason whatsoever to sigh up for Vonage, in spite of the hundreds of shill generated positive reviews.

california

@charter.com

voyage should be sued for misleading customers

i experienced the same and they were very rude to me to the extent of sending me emails. they should be reported to consumer protection department for viciously misleading clients.

Review by benjamin See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Best-in-class reliability (no outages yet!), excellent call clarity"
Bad "Advertised plans are pricey"
Overall "If you get a good deal on a plan, this is by far the best VoIP option"

·BroadVoice
After many, many years with another provider (since VoIP first became available, in fact), I finally had reason to switch. Many of the companies I would have considered a few years ago were no longer in business or had significantly changed their service options, but Vonage was still there. Their plans were not the most affordable, but they had an excellent reputation for reliability and call quality.

I can confirm that their reputation is well deserved. Having now been on their service for almost two years, I have yet to have a Vonage-caused outage or any "problem phone calls" (where call quality was significantly affected). These were the most important factors in my selection, and Vonage has delivered. My very-high-speed, low latency FiOS broadband connection does help, but with previous providers there were still call quality issues--not with Vonage.

The other main factor I considered was price, and on that point, Vonage seemed to be way behind its competitors. However, they have some unadvertised plans that are very reasonable, depending on your needs. I get unlimited US calling for under $15 including taxes. Could not be happier.

Of course, features are also important. Vonage does not offer all that many and could improve in this area. However, the only really important option that is missing, for me, is selective call blocking (which allows you to specifically block certain numbers--or at least alternatively route them however you want). You can block callers who block their caller ID but that's really the only option. For many years, Vonage has indicated they are considering adding the feature, but it has yet to materialize. Features they do offer free with their plans include simul-ring (ringing your VoIP line and another phone at the same time), selective call forwarding (trying another line if you don't pick up, for example) and "do not disturb." Unfortunately, this last feature must be manually toggled on or off, so you could potentially forget to turn it off. Scheduled do not disturb would be more useful.

Perhaps the most important feature is the "network availability number" setting, which allows you to set a number to which all calls are transferred if your internet connection goes down. So, if you set your cell phone as that number, when your ISP has an outage, all your calls automatically go to your cell phone. That was a feature I had been begging my previous VoIP provider to add for years.

One final word, on the website. It is very good and went through a complete overhaul shortly after I started using Vonage. The features are very easy to manage and the site works really well on all mobile devices.

So, as one of the early adopters of VoIP who has tested numerous service providers, I highly recommend Vonage.

Comments:

Review by JamesFrost See Profile

• Location: Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "Not much"
Bad "Very dishonest company"
Overall "Would stay as far away from them as possible"

I signed up for their Vonage World – which supposedly came with unlimited calling to USA, Canada and 60 countries.

Then I found out that there are so many lies that they told me – perhaps those lies were buried in the fine print – but one would have to be a lawyer to figure that out. To wit,

a) The plan I signed up for was touted as $26.99 per month, but the actual bill is $39.68 each month. I can understand if the difference is all taxes. But hell no! A lot of it is “fees” that Vonage charges – “intellectual property fee” for example. That is money that goes directly into Vonage’s coffers.

b) It turns out that the so called “unlimited plan” is not unlimited after all. In January, I used 2,781 minutes – a good portion of it international calling. Then they contacted me and told me that my usage was “irregular” and that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs twice as much. When I asked them what part of “unlimited calling plan” did I violate, they refused to identify the specific pattern of calling that triggered it or what I would have to change to be in compliance with their rules. They simply said that my usage does not conform to the “average usage levels and patterns of Vonage World customers”. To this date, I have no idea what that is, and they have refused to tell me. I am at a loss to understand how *I* am supposed to figure out what the average calling pattern of *THEIR USERS* is!!

So basically, I am signed up for an “unlimited calling plan” that really is not unlimited, and they refuse to tell me what the limits are. If they told me that I can use only 3000 minutes – fine, I can understand that. But they wouldn’t say that. They say going over 3000 minutes is not the only thing. And in this case, I had not even gone over 3000 minutes.

I can cite other issues I had with them as well – but I will summarize by saying that Vonage is one of the worst and most dishonest companies – VOIP or otherwise – that I have ever dealt with. I would recommend staying as far away from them as possible.

Comments:
PX Eliezer

Unlimited plans

This is one criticism of some companies that advertise "unlimited".

But there are better VoIP options available to you than Vonage.
JoeBtfsplk

join:2013-06-09
Los Angeles, CA

Try Voipo

If you are not at all technically inclined, try Voipo (link removed). They supply you with a pre-configured ATA and have a good set of features.

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state

Unwarranted criticism

The "intellectual" fee and the others are NOT peculiar to Vonage; those taxes and fees are mandated by the local, state and Federal government.

If you had read the details about VonageWorld, you would have seen the notation about excessive use (or "unusual use"). Admittedly, they don't provide a specific number of minutes but it IS there. When I contacted them about that last year (I use about 2,000 minutes overseas monthly) they explained it is to prevent businesses from trying to use a personal calling plan.

Vonage is great; I have been a VonageWorld subscriber for 5+ years and am a very happy customer.

Why not just explain your situation about the minutes and perhaps they'll work something out?
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

We all have different perspectives and opinions, so I respect the fact that you are happy with Vonage. I am replying to your post to point out just two things:

1. Your statement that the "intellectual fees" is mandated by government is incorrect. If you search for the topic "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee" on Vonage site, they say, and I am quoting "The RCIP fee is not a government-mandated fee. It is a Vonage fee used to specifically cover some of the costs associated with...". RCIP being "Regulatory, Compliance, and Intellectual Property Fee".

2. Regarding your suggestion about contacting Vonage for getting clarity on what I can do and what I cannot - that is exactly what I did, but they wouldn't tell me the details. If they told me that I can use no more than 2,000 minutes even though it is called unlimited, I wouldn't have any problem with that. It is the fact that they are not willing to tell me what the thresholds are that I am at a loss to comprehend. Instead they want me to be like their "average user" - but I am not privy to what the average user should do. Strange!

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state

Re: Unwarranted criticism

My bad on the Intellectual Property fee. I swore I saw it with another phone provider or two .... which proves swearing isn't good. Apologies !!
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Unwarranted criticism

Here you go: »www.vonage.com/reasonable-use-policy?

It doesn't give a hard number there any longer but the number has and always will be 3,000.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

2 recommendations

Vonage has in their TOS that 3000 is the limit. Even Vonage Business has the same limit.
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

To quote President Obama (*), "I wish things were that ruthlessly efficient"!

In January 2014, I used less than 3,000 minutes - 2,781, to be exact. Vonage contacted me immediately thereafter and indicated that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs $49.99 per month (plus taxes and fees). I am guessing that in Vonage-speak that means about $80 to $90 per month.

I am quoting verbatim some of the sentences from their e-mail, none of them taken out of context.

1. "Please know that there are no limitations on minutes"

2. "We would need to see your calling patterns stay within the normal residential guidelines".

I would have posted the entire letter but for its length. Yep, they use a lot of words, but never clearly stated what the restrictions on the "unlimited minutes" usage are. The tone is quite rude too.

So I respectfully submit that 3,000 is NOT the limit - based on my experience.

(*) President Obama when commenting about the Netflix show "House of Cards"

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
It's been like this for a while I had the service once. when they went to capped usage I fled and went to cell phone and google voice. Been using it ever since.

Review by fatmanskinny See Profile

• Location: Wandering
Good "$9.99 a month unlimited calls, features I need, saves me $$$"
Bad "Call quality issues at times"
Overall "It meets my needs at a great price!"

·Comcast Digital ..
I switched from Xfinity Voice to Vonage about a year ago. They sent me an offer I couldn't refuse - $9.99 unlimited calling (local / national) with the features I need on a home phone.

I received the self-install kit which was very easy to set up. I logged in and set up my profile and was on in less than 10 minutes. They sent the standard Vonage Box. It gets the job done.

Sometimes, I run into an issue where the box does not automatically reconnect to the network if there is a power outage. I have to power cycle it. It looks like the ethernet connection is not recognized (or lit up). The call quality is generally fine. Occasionally, callers hear my home alarm picking up as a fax on the line when they call. I am lowering the bandwidth usage to see if that may help.

Overall, I am happy with the switch. It works and when it doesn't, calls are automatically routed to my cell.

member for 10.5 years, 2652 visits, last login: 118 days ago

Comments:

Review by mahermusic See Profile

• Location: U.S.A.
Good "Low $$$, Crystal Clear Sound Quality, Much better service than Verizon"
Overall "Get it.... save the moolah!"

We just had our 11-Year anniversary with Vonage on March 7, 2014. Service is reliable, and sound quality is crystal-clear. No problems ever in those 11 years.

Also got nine Vonage referrals within that time, some of those going on or past their 9-year anniversary.

I'm so happy I ditched POTS all those years ago.... I've saved SO MUCH $$$ from AT&T and Verizon over that time.... makes me smile just thinking about it!

Attaboy, Vonage!!!

member for 13 years, 3707 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

buzzcoy

@charter.com

Re: reply

Yup, of course!

Review by Cubytus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Excellent sound quality, affordable international rates"
Bad "Minor but unexplained downtimes, not the best rates possible. Won't unlock router once service is ended"
Overall "Perfect replacement as a full-featured replacement for any POTS service, at a much more economical rate."

·TekSavvy DSL
·Skype
Basically, it's hard to get a better deal as a no-brainer replacement for POTS with 911 support. I had 500 minutes in all North America, which is plenty for my needs. Don't listen to people who never heard a VoIP call and just rely on 10 year-old facts. Basically, you CAN'T tell the difference between a Vonage call and a POTS call; most if not all calls you make to your bank or any quality customer service is routed through VoIP. Actually, Vonage sound better at their highest quality setting than most POTS.

Their web portal where you change settings and can download voice messages is AWESOME ! Beautiful, easy to read and understand; that must remain the same.

I got a RT31P2 Linksys router with my service, which was due to be returned when I signed in, but that changed, and I could keep it ending the service in 2008 due to cell phone filling my needs. Too bad they wouldn't unlock the router when dumping the service, because it's SIP-based. Basically, I now have a Vonage-branded brick ready to be sold or re-activated.

Customer service is friendly, although tech support is not so helpful at troubleshooting issues on their side. Alhough they don't list it on their web page, they're actually bilingual, which is a plus. At a moment I had an issue with the router, and the tech support told me I may change the router to a more recent model for $200. That's extremely expensive, especially for an existing customer. I just kept it and rebooted each time it overheated (in summer).

An important note if you're a heavy uploader: don't skimp on QoS settings! They are the most important setting in your router to keep call quality optimal.

Sure, you can get better prices on SIP providers, but at the expense of more configuration, additional devices to buy by yourself, etc. The other S-named provider is still a geek toy, non-standard (meaning expensive devices), and highly insecure, as backdoors are placed in their software.

Plus, let's not forget the ultimate privacy advantage: your number is not listed in any directory, so you won't get any telemarketing or otherwise undesirable calls. POTS typically CHARGE this 5$/month!!!

If they could do something better, it would be additional privacy by encrypting calls end-to-end using standard methods, and providing yet better deals like other SIP providers do (free softphone but without additional minutes, 2 free countries, etc.)

The second thing they could do better is have a better respect of SIP standards: unlocking a router won't lose them any customer or money, as they still would get paid for service; publish SIP settings in a way that customers can configure any SIP-compatible softphone they like.

An additional service could also be set up: one access number that cell users could call to get attractive rates.

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "Good quality given *stable* internet."
Bad "Mnthly auto-billing to debit card sometimes double-charges"
Overall "Still well worth the money"

I've got the 500min per month package for $18 a month. I'm routing it thru a Linksys 2-phone, 4-ethernet device, sitting behind a Cisco PIX 501, connected to Verizon FiOS.

Calls were fairly choppy because Comcast was having issues with pole-mounted amplifiers in my neighborhood. When I went to FiOS Internet, whose issues evaporated; very stable voice quality after that.

I've only ever had Vonage, so i can't rate them against anyone else.

Porting my number from Verizon land-line, to Vonage took longer than expected. The number was not ported on the date promised. A call to tech support said, "oh yes, it is ported, we did it last nite". I insisted otherwise. "Ah, it must have not worked then." They then scheduled another port of my number which was another 2 weeks after their first try (first try took 2 weeks, thus to total of 30-day turnaround time in my ratings.) Second port worked, and have been happy ever since.

_________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Everything still just fine. Vonage introduced a feature where you can block calls from coming in, that have absent callerID info, and I use this. I wish they'd offer call blocking by matching a pattern (like 1-800-xxx-xxxx) for instance. Cost up to $22 from original $18, but it's still a good deal

_________________________

Update 1/20/2010 Price is up to $20 a month now, but is still a good deal. No huge technical problems.

_________________________

Update 3/26/2011 - Last summer, negotiated back to "Vonage Lite", from the 500min plan. Monthly dropped from $27 to $14! For as much as I use it, I still never go over the mins, and I'm almost saving 50%. One thing, when I call certain people, I have an annoying echo in the line where I can hear myself. Not sure if its related to the other persons' side, or whether it's Vonage; haven't investigated that much.

_____________________________

Update 2/6/2012 - Still going strong. I'm on the Vonage-Lite plan, and the billable amnt per month is still about ~$20/month. Service works consistantly. That echo thing I complained about before went away on its own. The only problem called them about, turned out to be my own internal wiring. Good call quality. Had a situation recently where the outgoing message was not heard by the person leaving a message (me!). Phonemail system busy I guess. Still well worth it in quality vs. $$ paid.

_______________________________

Update 1/19/14 -- Still worth the money. We don't use the phone alot, for the Vonage-Lite plan is great at ~$20 per month. I can't EVER remember a time when there was an outage at all. The only problem I ever had was ethernet cabling to the Vonage Adaptor, which was my fault. Worth the money. No problem, stable, good quality.

Comments:

Ron

@bell.ca

Never buy this

They have appointed agents who are misguiding the customers. I returned it next day of buying. Plz check properly before buying.