Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by liquidman See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Good Quality, easy to install, very reliable"
Bad "long hold times if you need to contact them"
Overall "Very happy, much cheaper than POTS"

I have had Vonage for about 2 years now and am impressed with the call quality as well its reliability. So far i have no real gripes and am glad I switched. I have a fax line as well for 9 bux a month for my business through Vonage and it works well also.

----

8/25/09

Since I don't use my 'home' line all that much, I decided to port my number to Callcentric's pay as you go plan. I still have my E911, good call quality as well much lower monthly bill. Best of all, I have the service directly trunked to my new Siemens Gigaset Dect phone and was able to get rid of my old uniden that was old and dying. Vonage was good to me for many years, very few call quality problems and seemed to have few outtages if any. I didn't monitor it that closely but it always worked when I needed to make a call.

Comments:

Review by Averren See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "Great Value"
Bad "Takes some research and tweaking to get the quality right"
Overall "I'm happy with the product and see no reason to change, yet."

I order Vonage almost 4 years ago now. I got it for the low cost and I could still use my cordless phones. I do not use the phone that often but when I do it is mostly long distance since most o four family live out of state. The 500 plan was cheap and perfect for my family as we rarely go over the 500 minutes of usage. It took about 4 days to receive the equipment. Installation was simple and trouble free for me.

The bottom line price has creeped up from $17/month to over $25 but that is mostly due to taxes and regulation fees imposed on Vonage so I don't fault Vonage for it.

The only issue I ever had was chopping of the calls sporaticly. It took some research and tweaking but have isolated the issue to my router settings. I can see how less tech sauvy people could get fustrated and give up on Vonage.

Vonage is a good blend of traditional phone usage but at a much cheaper price. I have no reason to look for other options.

Now if the price keeps creeping up I might start looking around.

Comments:

Review by rkhands See Profile

• Location: Wheaton,Du Page,IL
Good "Good value for money, easy installation, nice features"
Bad "Tech support, number porting difficult"
Overall "Vonage is doing better, voice quality has stablized and is very good."

Ordered service from Vonage on July 16th, 2004. Equipment was delivered on July 21st and setup was a breeze. There have been a couple of outages that have been noted in the press, but for the most part the weakest link has been my cable company (Comcast). If you are thinking of completely replacing your current POTS line, then you must be sure that you have a backup such as cell phone. Be prepared, the quality is ok, but not as good as POTS. Your own download/upload activity can affect your Vonage quality, even after trying all of the router/firmware options in order to get a decent Quality of Service (QOS) solution.

Biggest problem with Vonage so far has been in trying to get my phone number ported to my Vonage service and get SBC completely out of the picture. I faxed in my request back on July 16th. The web site says that the request was sent to carrier on July 21st. I waited until August 24th and called Vonage and had to open a trouble ticket to get any attention to this. I then called again on August 25th because I still had no word as to what was going on. They said that they had re-submitted the request on August 25th. I called again on September 15th and was finally told that I had a transfer date of September 21st, yet the web site still had not changed since July 21st and I had not received any email notification of the pending transfer. Well tomorrow is the date, and I checked the web site again today and to my surprise it was updated to show the transfer is expected to happen tomorrow on the 21st. Keep my fingers crossed that it happens and without problems.

In the mean time my brother faxed his request in on August 11th and was transfer on August 21st. This shows that it can be done quickly and smoothly, just Vonage needs to stay on top of it, not the customer.

Vonage really needs to be MUCH more pro-active on these number ports. They simply cannot just send off the request to the third party company and sit back and wait. They should be getting status updates at least every 7 - 10 business days and keep their customer informed, if they want to keep the customer as a customer.

Well it is now May 2005, I still have Vonage and am very pleased with it. Call quality and reliability have really improved and it is had to distinguish it from a regular POTS line. Once they get an real E911 service available, there should be very little reason for others not to switch.

Switched to AT&T CallVantage when Vonage's legal issues seemed to be threatening the service. Vonage is better than CallVantage, but since I am planning on dropping my home line entirely, it would be a waste of time to change back.

Now that AT&T has discontinued CallVantage I am now back to Vonage. Good service, but I am now getting voice dropout every few minutes. Not sure if it is Vonage, or my D-Link DIR-655 router, which has a very difficult QoS configuration.

member for 14.3 years, 2999 visits, last login: 184 days ago

Comments:

Review by redrims999 See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Free VoIP adapter, has a screen and QoS, amazingly cheap,"
Bad "Too bandwidth reliant, doesn't have a battery back-up (buying that seperately is annoying), tech support,"
Overall "Extremely good service but has some minor set backs I recommend to all with a good DL and especially UL"

I wanted to get Vonage because of my love of new technologies and the massive amount of money I save. I got the unlimited residential plan. The order was fast and simple, got to transfer my number, and the self install came in a few days. I was amazed at how smooth everything was/is. I got the V-Portal which is free when I got it if you got the service online. The best parts of Vonage are the price (seriously amazing), the free adapter with an LCD,and the emailed Voicemail. Worst things are the tech support (not THAT bad), and the annoying fact that your connection determines (for the most part) your call quality and reliability. Say you're like me with an impaired (400 kbps) upload and you have this? Dropouts for 30 seconds sometimes, and eerie sounds are annoying. Yes I know this is not really fair for blaming Vonage but I'm that stoked on finding problems.

If you have a good DL and UL this is just for you.

Comments:

Review by psg6801 See Profile

• Location: Blythewood,Richland,SC
Good "features reliability(good broadband connection quality)"
Bad "tech support"
Overall "great value for the money"

I have had Vonage for over 2 years and love it! I have a very reliable Roadrunner connection. This is the secret to loving or hating Vonage. The only outages I have had have been when Roadrunner went down. But even then the calls were routed to my cell phone so none were missed. I have saved over a hundred dollars a month $2400!!!!!!

Update: Vonage still rocks!!! Can't beat the value! 911 works!!! Had to use it for ambulance last week. We call anywhere we want and talk as long as we like for $31 a month! I did install a Linksys WRT54GL router with Tomato firmware the QOS is much better

Update: After 5 years...Vonage just works I have had ZERO issues with the service. If Roadrunner never dropped I would have no issues

Comments:

Review by daggardale See Profile

• Location: Gurnee,Lake,IL
Good "The Price. . . I consistently pay under $35 a month for close to 2000 minutes worth of domestic and international calls."
Bad "The router provided (Linksys RT31P2) does not have a lot of advanced features available."
Overall "It's a great service. I recommend it anyone looking for a low-cost, high-value landline replacement."

I have had Vonage service since 2005, and it has worked very consistently for me. My wife does a lot of international calling, and even with a couple of hours of calls to out-of-plan countries each month, the cost is still around $35 on average.

Comments:

Review by bobc2112 See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Price, Full Featured"
Bad "Some Equipment Problems"
Overall "Saving some bucks... Excellent Quality"

Decided to go with Vonage after talking with some long time users who are friends. Decided to give the V-tech a shot since I would need a new cordless phone anyway and I could just plug the unit into a cat5 outlet near my kitchen. Picked up the unit at best buy. When I entered the MAC address during service setup it said it was not valid. I called the help number specified and got a CSR in India who couldn't help but gave me another 800 number. This time the rep understood the problem and put in a ticket but advised the easiest thing would be to return it since they wouldn't get to it until a few days. I decided to hang tight and try it in a few, when I retried the Mac address registered but sent me into pricing for Canada (I guess they almost got it right). I decided to return the thing and got a free (after rebate) linksys phone adapter and a couple of Uniden Phones for less money. Things went smooth until the very last step when the order screen came up with an error. Called India, who gave me another 800 number in the states... Got the order finished and everything works pretty good so far. I was with IDT $57 a month all included but am getting a better value with Vonage. After a few months i'll update, but so far so good.

Update 5/3/2007

Since initial install everything is A-OK. I think there were 2 or 3 service interruptions that I was aware of during my time with Vonage, but the service outage call forwarding feature made sure we didn't miss any calls. I also, unfortunately for my burned up F250, had to use the e911 service and it worked excellently. Fearing that it wouldn't work correctly, I ran to a neighbors and asked them to call, they were told that they received that call and were already on route.

Update 11/06/2007

Rock Solid

Update Left Vonage strictly for the Verizon Triple Play. After paying for Internet and TV for all these years figured the Triple Play saves me about the cost of the phone. Generally, Vonage was GREAT, wouldn't think twice about going back to them if the circumstances were different.

member for 10.9 years, 1900 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by compugeek See Profile

• Location: Pickerington,Fairfield,OH
Good "I can call anywhere in N. America for nothing"
Bad "Took awhile to get MTA replaced"
Overall "Great service"

I have been using Vonage now for a little over a year and think the service is outstanding. I like being in control of my phone service and not having to deal with SBC.

Only real problem I have had is I get an echo on my side of the call, but I have gotten used to it (none on the other side). I did have to get my Cisco ATA changed out to the Motorola a couple of months back. The port 1 went out and we switched to port 2 with no problems. Then one day nothing worked at all and it took about a week for Vonage to finally send me the new Motorola box. I actually like the new one better than the old Cisco since it has a built in router.

I moved to Ohio from Indiana and have a number in both States, beat that SBC and Verizon for next to nothing... Nice to be able to do that and family a friends can call a local number for me in Ohio from Indiana.

I hooked up all of my phones in the house to Vonage and have had zero issues.

Over all it is a great service and I recommend it to everyone, especially people that has family in other States.

Update 9/9/2005
I have been hearing a lot of what sounds like dialtones coming through the phone. I thought it was just my cordless and I was getting interferance from another cordless someplase else. I went to a corded phone and I was still hearing it and the people I call also say they can hear it as well.

I lowered my rating for customer service because it takes them forever it seams to answer their own phones and email. So I don't know what the fix for the sound is going to be. I have unplugged the MTA and it still is doing it. No huge deal but it is getting worse daily.

UPDATE 4/22/09
I have since dropped Vonage in favor of VoIP from Insight. No real reason other than it doesn't rely on the internet.

member for 12.3 years, 4275 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jmilochik See Profile

• Location: South Amboy,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Great quality"
Bad "Fees are starting to look like Verizon"
Overall "Excellent, but be careful of the fees"

Absolutly no problems with my Vonage line. With the new fee increase, my price has gone up 12%, but its still cheaper than a POTS line.

I have had the system since 2004.

Comments:

Review by JerseyDevil4 See Profile

• Location: Englishtown,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Cheap, Reliable and Feature Rich"
Bad "If no power no phone, like all VoIP"
Overall "A good value, best as a second line especially if you have young kids."

I have had vonage for over 2 years now and have found it extremely reliable. I ported number from AT&T CallVantage because I got a better deal and more features that suited me. I have the old Linksys RT31P2 and it works great.

I have used their SoftPhone product for my girlfriend while she was in London and it worked fairly well. Worked best when she was direct connected to the Internet and not just picking up a Wi-Fi signal somewhere in the city.

I think VoIP is great and for those concerned about power outages just buy a decent battery backup to connect to your Cable/DSL Modem, VoIP Box and phone if cordless and you are covered.

I am extremely happy with Vonage and highly recommend it.

-------

Updated 12/2/08 --- Well I canceled Vonage about 3 months ago, I just realized when I moved into Manhattan that I was not using it and was using my cell phone only. Therefore, I decided to save the money and canceled the service.

However, it was reliable for the entire time I had it and I was extremly happy.