Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by JJV See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "lots of features good call quality"
Bad "half hour hold times for customer service 2 months for lnp"
Overall "I like it its saving be about 75.00 a month!"

Just an update.
I still have Vonage. I have reduced my plan to the 500 minute plan so save a few bucks.
I'm still very happy with them.

I hooked up with Vonage a few months ago. The quality of the calls sounded much better than my pots line. I had to turn the volume down on my phones.
After a month I had them port my pots # over to vonage. Its been 2 months and Im still waiting. Thay say it will be done Jan 5th. So far there are no real problems. The couple times I have called customer service I was put in que for a half hour or so untill someone answered.
Vonage is only as good as your internet provider. Dont try it if your isp sucks.
Overall I would recomend Vonage to techies wanting to save a few bucks.

Years later Im still with Vonage. I think they are great!

member for 13.4 years, 6176 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hnd4me See Profile

• Location: Colton,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "great service, very cheap, so many options and free services"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "cheapest phone service and great customer support"

·SLIC.COM
·Dish Network
Had vonage for going on 4 years. Just had to have an adapter replaced due to connectivity issues but other than that great service. Call quality depends on how good the internet connection is. I prepay for the year so it works out to be 26$ a month with tax. Just a great value for a phone.

Comments:

Review by coastjam See Profile

• Location: Atascadero,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "Great Service all the way around"
Bad "Needs prefix within area code"
Overall "No Longer use the service"

Sorry to say, I know longer use Vonage. I liked the service. Just no longer have the need for them.

Comments:

Review by optodata See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "reliable, inexpensive and full-featured"
Bad "outgoing caller ID only shows number"
Overall "much better than land line"

I've had Vonage for almost 3 years and the only problems I've had (maybe 6 times) were easily resolved by rebooting my router and/or VoIP adapter. Fortunately, any missed calls end up in voice mail, and I really like having them instantly emailed to me - no more calling home to check the answering machine .

The website is helpful for reviewing calls and bills, but it would be nice to quickly jump to a certain date or week, and also to search for a specific number from my entire history rather than having to check each page one at a time.

Overall, I am happy I made the switch and have also transferred my business line to Vonage as well.

Comments:

Review by rwizard See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Fulton,GA
Good "None."
Bad "Once you are signed up with them, good luck cancelling"
Overall "I tracked them down thru the NY Sec. of State and served notice on their atty."

Below is my original review - I would now (5 years later) like to warn everyone to stay as far away from Vonage as possible. They were one of my worst mistakes ever.

OLD REVIEW:

I got Vonage about three weeks ago, because anything that has the potential to let me ditch Bellsouth is worth trying. Quality over my slow cable modem connection was fine inbound, but the outbound quality was difficult for the people I called to understand. When I moved it over to one of my faster DSL circuits it was just great in both directions.

While I really love Vonage so far, and have had no problems with it, nothing is ever perfect, so hear are the cons: I can't get local phone numbers in the other two local dialing areas that I would like to have them. I could spend less money by going with Bellsouth's unlimited bundle.

Comments:

Review by phodge See Profile

• Location: Mckinney,Collin,TX
Good "Price, Features"
Bad "tech support, cable internet connection dependent"
Overall "Great value!"

Signed up 1/04 for a single line service for home office. Plugged in the Moto ATA into my home network and after a few minutes configuring it, got a dial tone. I did not put the ATA in front of the firewall - instead I port forwarded to it after giving it a static IP. Getting the Sonicwall TZ150 tweaked for the service took a while but now the TZ150 allocates bandwidth to the SIP traffic when I pick up the phone, so all calls sound great when there's a load on the connection. Added a fax line several months later, but had to install a DSL line filter and contact tech support to resolve some faxing issues. Tech support can be slow to respond to issues.

Update 5/09: No major issues. Still using OEM Motorola ATA, which is now over five years old. Still no name transmitted with CID on outbound calls. Fax service reliability has improved since last review.

Comments:

Review by sonofjay See Profile

• Location: North Attleboro,Bristol,MA
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Customer Service Call center can be somewhat frustrating to deal with"
Overall "its not POTS but its much much less expensive. Great Value"

05/16/09 – Vonage is still great. Reliable and never an issue with connection or call quality. Price has remained the same since signing up in Aug, 2005. Only complaint is that Vonage still do not offer a call manager service offering the ability better handle unwanted calls or to blacklist/whitelist certain numbers. Vonage have come out with new features but none of which are very useful to me.

Bottom-line very happy and no complaints. Service works great and have not need to call technical support at anytime.

03/22/08 - Vonage has been great. Now back on the unlimited plan. Now using out of country virtual numbers which are great. SimuRing, call forwarding to wireless phone. All very inexpensive and all setup and customized through there website. Since 08/05 I have only ever had to speak to a person at Vonage once. Am able to do everything needed via their website. Also signed up for a second line. Saving $30/month over Verizon and am getting many many more features. Complaint: Still no call-manager service for blocking or handling unwanted calls. Vonage now has Anonymous Call Rejection but need a call manager too as every other major phone provider has one.

03/09/07 - Have had Vonage since 08/05 and it has been good. Occasionally the adapter needs to be rebooted. The cost is much much cheaper than I had been paying for Verizon $65/month to $30/month. I am now on the 500 min/month plan as call volume is now less so the monthly cost with taxes included is around $19/month.

Competition and choice versus the Cable Co's and Telco's is great.

Comments:

Review by dodgetech2 See Profile

• Location: Gouldsboro,Wayne,PA
Good "Reliable, cheap and good voice quality"
Bad "if you need to talk to a CSR rep, you will need enough food to last a week, your gonna be on hold that long"
Overall "Its worth it in the long run, the money saved well outwieghs the small stuff"

I have had Vonage about 4 months now, and I could not be happier.
I get the same service I had with Verizon, for 1/3 of the cost.

If Verizon wants to be my phone provider again, they need a lesson in economics

They are way overpriced for the service they provide

05/02/2006
Its been about a year now, and my service has been great.
I don't see me going back to POTS anytime soon

03/10/2007

Well, going on 2 years now...still going strong..:)

04/17/2008.

Still here and still working great .....

05/06/2009

Still using Vonage and its still a great service.
Looking forward to many more years of great service and money savings.

Comments:

Review by Celery See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Unlimited Canada/USA Calling and virtual numbers"
Bad ".... none! Previous choppiness has vanished over a year ago!"
Overall "Great price for all the features, portable, highly recommended!!"

Order was September 2004 and received the Motorola VT1005. Installation was a snap and we were up and running almost immediately when the box was delivered.

I ordered the $34.99 package for unlimited province calling and $7.99 for a USA virtual number, quickly upgrading to the $39.99 unlimited Canada/USA calling. Services have worked great and aside from the occasional hiccup, I've had no complaints. Refer-a-friend is a great promotion and the configuration dashboard is a breeze to set up all of the needed features. I love being able to check my email and receive voicemail messages. Being able to check my email and see what I have for voicemail, then listen to it right there... I can't live without it now!

Travelling with the adapter was never easier. On a trip to the midwest USA, the adapter was brought along and worked flawlessly.

For the price and the services that are offered, best value bar none.

Update - April 22, 2009: Moved to a new city and along came my Vonage adapter with me. Didn't change my phone number or plan. Simply updated my information in the dashboard and e911 info and was up and running in less than five minutes. No additional fees or charges. Vonage is still working great and is extremely convenient! It's hooked up to my home wiring and nobody can tell the difference!! Hiccups and choppiness are all gone and I have zero complaints now!

Review price updated, including:
$39.99 Unlimited Canada/USA calling
+$7.99 Virtual Number
+$3.84 PST
+$2.40 GST
=========
$54.22 Total

Comments:

Review by jhacker See Profile

• Location: Peoria,Peoria,IL
Good "More calling features than we know what to do with, No worry about long distance costs, not supporting the TELCO pig"
Bad "Call quality not what we're used to with POTS, Numerous additional fees added to bill. Will tell you anything to sign you up"
Overall "What a great value, but don't use if reliability is imperative."

04/19/09: Well, we no longer have Vonage. I enjoyed the features. It's just that in order to try and save money we switched to the 500 minute plan before they raised the price to $17.99 in order to get people to just go with the unlimited plan. Over the past couple of months we've gone over those 500 minutes by almost 200 minutes. When I called Comcast, I found out we could take advantage of their introductory plan of $20/month for unlimited. I decided to eat the $40 cancellation fee that Vonage so proudly charges.

Over the time with Vonage, I did like their calling features. The best feature was the Network Availability feature that would roll the calls over to another number of your choosing if Vonage was unavailable due to an outage. One feature they did lack was Call Screening, which CDV has. For the most part, we had good call quality throughout our time with Vonage. It did get a little worse after I decided to put the Vonage router on the back side of the regular wireless router though.

I didn't like all the equipment I had to manage. We had the cable modem, the Vonage router, then had to use another wireless router for our other wireless devices. Too much of a pain to manage all that equipment. I like to keep it simple.

It was no problem at all porting our number to Comcast's service. Vonage happily charged us a $40 cancellation fee, and sent an e-mail the day after our number was ported stating that the account had been cancelled. I didn't even call their customer service.

02/24/08: We've now had a few months to experience Vonage. All in all, I'm glad we signed up for it. I enjoy not having to worry about how much the bill is because it's always a flat rate. However, I think Vonage tacks on too many additional charges. It's as bad as AT&T in that regard. I do enjoy all the custom calling features, including 'do not disturb' and 'Simulring'. There are just a couple of problems we've had with the service. Occasionally the person we're talking to will report that the call sounds 'broken up'. I thought that problem would be alleviated when I moved the 2.4 cordless away from the wireless router, but it still happens less often. I keep the bandwidth setting on the highest so I seldom notice any problems on my end. Just a couple of times I've had a call terminate on me for an unexplained reason. Also, at times call forwarding stays active even after I've deactivated it. This was attributed to the Vonage Talk IM software I installed. It took tech support quite a while to help diagnose this problem. Part of the reason was lack of communication because I couldn't understand their accent. I fear the day I want to cancel after hearing all the horror stories. If I did cancel, it would probably be because of the additional fees. Then I would probably select a VOIP solution that doesn't utilize the public internet like Comcast's Digital Voice.

11/17/07: We've now had Vonage for two months. Originally we were using the service with DSL, but now we have a cable modem. Vonage works much better with the cable modem. We have very few complaints about the sound quality now. We are able to set to the highest bandwidth setting and the voice quality is superb. We do occasionally have a complaint about calls cutting out, but I believe it's interference between the wireless g router and the cordless 2.4 ghz phone. This should be alleviated now that I've hooked the Vonage up to entire home phone wiring and moved the cordless.

Our account was inaccessible via the web for over a week. This meant we couldn't view call details or change features via the web. The problem was solved in three business days after I called a trouble ticket in. Now that our 2 month free trial has ended, I notice that they've added nearly $9 in additional taxes and junk fees on top of the $25/month charge.

Overall, I think the service is worth what we're paying for it. We'll see what our calling patterns are and consider switching to the 500 min./month plan.

9/18/07: I signed up with Vonage after they offered me a deal too good to refuse. I got a 2-month free trial, and a free Motorola VT2442 router, with no activation charge. I know people that are using, or have used Vonage with great success. I considered going with cable phone through Insight. With them, calling to towns 15 miles from here is considered long distance. They want an extra $10 for unlimited long distance. AT&T forces bundling of POTS with DSL to support their antiquated business model. With the telco (AT&T/SBC) always adding additional charges, I was pushed over the edge when they added a fee of $5 just to have long distance on the line. The only reason we ever need long distance is for occasional use of the fax machine. I have not ported our old number to Vonage yet.

The Vonage equipment, a Motorola VT2442 router, arrived just 4 days after placing the order over the phone. I could have placed the order online, yet I wanted to talk them into giving me a better deal. Just a heads-up that the call center seems to be in India. They were very driven, and weren't going to let me off the phone until I signed up. I caught the sales person talking out both sides of her mouth. Since I still have DSL, I wanted to wait to port the number of course. She at first told me that I could delay in submitting the paperwork, then said it had to be done no later than 10 days after ordering Vonage. Then, she said it would not cost to port the number at a later date, and later she said there would be a $9.95 charge to do this later as opposed to now. It appears as though they will tell you anything to get you signed up. Of course they did inform me of the $40 cancellation fee, and the equipment charge if I cancel within 2 years.

The equipment installation was seamless!! I simply moved all my CAT-5 cables from the old router to the Vonage router, plugged in the power and a phone, and VOILA!! I received a dial tone right away and was making and receiving calls. They must enter the MAC address of the router in their system before they ship it so that it's plug-n-play.

The first thing I noticed compared to a traditional land line was that I had to turn the volume of the phone down after connecting to Vonage. The dial tone seems much louder. I notice that while making calls, there is a clicking sound every few seconds when the other line is ringing and that the ringing sometimes has a funny sound to it. It really reminds me of the old pulse dial lines of the good ol' days. Otherwise, the voice quality of the receiving end of the calls is good. On the other hand, people have complained about my voice breaking up once or twice. This problem could have been the other person since they were on a cell phone. Also, one person I talked to said my voice sounded hollow. I've played with different settings of bandwidth saver, but haven't noticed much of a difference in call quality. However, I haven't yet tried uploading much while I'm on a call. I really appreciate having custom calling features which I don't pay extra for. I especially like having call waiting with caller-id again, not to mention busy line callback. The flashing orange voice mail indicator on the router is nice to have as well.

Although it has only been a few days since we started using Vonage, we are happy even with some of the minor problems. I realize the technology is still somewhat new, and we can put up with a few problems because of the value. I wouldn't recommend Vonage as someone's only method for communication. Our family has cell phones as a backup. The incumbent telcos have better take notice of who their competition really is. They're already going the way of AOL by bleeding subscribers in droves.

member for 12.8 years, 2157 visits, last login: 110 days ago