Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by trailblazer See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Quality & Price"
Bad "hard to configure with some ISPs"

·WOW Internet and..
WOW HIGHLT RECOMEND

Need a 4 line adaptor

Comments:

Review by wizzle See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Lots of features. Easy to set up."
Bad "aren't great in the customer service realm. pricing keeps creeping up"
Overall "They're still the 'big guys' of the business with a good price."

I've been using Vonage for a number years now. What a wonderful alternative to POTS. Much cheaper and way more features.

There are some features I wish they would make available though such as number blocking and set your own Caller ID info.

They may out price themselves in the near future and lose my business, but for now...it's still a great way to have a land line.

Comments:

Review by jimeez See Profile

• Location: Mount Holly Springs,Cumberland,PA
Good "$$ Savings, Easy Installation, good email cust. support"
Bad "Hard to get a human on the phone for customer support"
Overall "Good value for the money"

I have been waiting for years for the opportunity to tell Sprint to hit the road. They are the only POTS line provider in my area. They definitely have the monopoly and their rates are way too high. I was paying ~ $40.00/month for basic service (no long distance) with Caller ID and an unpublished number. Ouch! But I didn't have a choice....until now.

I saw the ads on TV for a couple weeks and basically ignored them thinking the quality couldn't be comparible to the POTS line. My wife finally convinced me to start doing some research. BBR was the first place I turned, of course! Most of the reviews here spoke favorably of the service so I decided to give it a try.

I had several questions before purchasing the service so I wanted to talk with a representative from Vonage. I waited on hold for roughly 40 minutes before someone picked up. That was NOT a good first impression, but I am glad I stuck with it and gave them a chance. It took 4 days for the adapter to arrive. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

I get excellent customer service via email. They respond promptly every time (so far). Getting someone on the phone is still difficult unfortunately.

1/25/05 UPDATE: Finally got my number ported today. The paper work was submitted on January 13th...12 days from application to full 100% Vonage VOIP service. Not too bad.

8/30/07 UPDATE: Looks like I have had Vonage for over 2 year snow. Their customer service is still the pits; unless you can get through to a tier 2 tech. I occasionally experience poor voice quality, but that is very sporadic and usually does not last long. With the right equipment and the proper settings, you can maintain near land-line quality. For the price I pay, it is still worth every penny.

6/18/07 UPDATE: I dropped Vonage about a year ago. Comcast had a better deal via their Tripple Play package. We'll see how long that lasts. I am sure their prices will increase very soon.

12/13/2010 UPDATE: Ended up dropping Vonage for Comcast's Triple Play.

member for 12.2 years, 2477 visits, last login: 104 days ago

Comments:

Review by jpsmith See Profile

• Location: Newberg,Yamhill,OR
Good "Great price, quick install, decent customer service"
Bad "Rebate issue (still working on getting it) - 100% resolved. Nothing bad to report at this time."
Overall "Everythings been running great since the day I installed it"

*** Update 6/30/06 ***

Got my rebate a few days ago. I was expecting to have to wait another 3-4 months to get it, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the check in my mailbox. I can say I'm pleased with the way they handled this. Definitely handled better than some rebates I've had to deal with and some that I have read about.

*** Original ***

I bought and install my PAP2 on 1/6/06. This was during the New Year's Resolution $100 rebate. The store I bought from didn't give me a form to send in, just a flyer stating the rebate period. I signed up and the web site didn't say anything about sending in a form, just buy a device, sign up, and they send a check. I've finally gotten around to checking on the rebate and Vonage said go get a form from the store and send it to a resubmit address and they'll process it. I sent it today, so we'll see. May have to change some of the values if this doesn't go through. I used e-mail to contact them on this and they answered back within 30 minutes after I sent the messages. It took an extra message to get the address for resubmitting the forms.

Other than this "problem" (not a deciding factor, but nice), I've not had any problems with the phone not working. E911 is said to be working on my line after about a month without. Just sent a fax with no problems or changes to any setting on the phone or the fax machine. Quality is just as good as the previous land line.

Got the $14.99 package as we don't make many calls, plus a local number in Quebec for family that lives there to call. This alone saves me at least $20 a month for calls from them (was paying for the calling card they used), and now they call everyday instead of just a few times a month. The most we've used in a month is around 300 minutes, so the 500 minutes is plenty. We average maybe 100 outgoing minutes a month.

member for 14.9 years, 2735 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by King P See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Williamson,TN
Good "Great service for great price"
Bad "tech support takes too long"
Overall "This is a really solid service"

March 2011:

After 6 good years with Vonage, I finally cancelled the service. The price for my service was originally 24.99/month for their unlimited calling package. The service was great, but I just decided it wasn't necessary any longer, as my wife and I both have unlimited cell phone plans.

If Vonage is still around, we may sign back up in the future.

2005

I absolutely love my Vonage service. I'm so glad that I signed up for it. For the exact same price, I could only make Local calls, and have a caller ID from BellSouth. I enjoyed the BellSouth service, but it was time to spend my money elsewhere and get more bang for my buck. I signed up as a referral from a friend who has Vonage, so I got one month of service for free. I signed up for the Premium Unlimited plan and it is one of the best plans I have ever had.

The price to set up for the first month was 68 dollars (1st month of service, activation, shipping). That was kind of rough, but it was worth it.

I also have signed up for Speakeasy OneLink DSL to use with my Vonage service. Finally I'll be able to break free from BS!

February 2006:

I have been using Vonage for over 6 months now, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the service. I have had a few problems lately (we couldn't call some local numbers for about 7 days), but they have been resolved (it was a Telco switch issue, NOT Vonage.) I really love VoIP and I really like my Vonage service.

I recently added a fax line for 9.99 a month, and have been pleased with it as well. VoIP is a great technology and will be the death of the Telco (if they don't wise up).

I also traffic shape my network with my VoIP router getting top priority, so I never have choppy audio. The call quality is excellent and unbeatable.

November 2006:

It's been well over a year now since I've been using Vonage and I decided to call up and cancel my service today. I wanted to cancel due to the price increasing (mainly the Gov't fees that are tacked on) not due to unreliable service or anything, because my service has been great! To make a long story short I called up to cancel and they gave me two free months for both my Voice and Fax line and gave me the Unlimited Plan for 19.99/month. This made me very happy and I decided to stay.

Comments:

Review by arshad14 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Best bang for the buck"
Bad "Fax service is very unreliable even after adjusting some settings by Vonage Tech"
Overall "Gotta love a what you get for the price"

·Start Communicat..
Feb 14, 2012

I have been with Vonage US for the last 9 years and absolutely love it! I have the Unlimited Canada & US service for $19.99 along with a Virtual Canadian Number for $4.99. In Canada, not even Vonage Canada can offer a service at such a price. I would highly recommend this service to anyone. It includes all the features you can think of. The only thing that doesn't work too well, which is the same with any VoIP provider is Fax. Tech tried to make it work but was not successful.

Comments:
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

vonage voip

was vonage cust for years dumped them and their high prices for voip.ms 1/10 price of vonage

Review by Carbon Unit See Profile

• Location: Saint Charles,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Extremly cheap"
Bad "none"
Overall "save yourself alot of cash over Ma Bell"

I have had Vonage for about 3 months now, all call come in loud and clear, I dont use my home line much, mostly me cell phone wich is great, i would have had to pay $50-80 for similar service with SWB

update, 5 years later, it still works great and I have probably saved thousands of dollars over using the old phone company

update; now using ooma, much better service and it actually works with my phone, voice quality is pretty good, blacklisting is a nice feature

Comments:

Review by dellsweig See Profile

• Location: Campbell Hall,Orange,NY
Good "Features, Price, Service, Price, VoIp Experience"
Overall "Great"

Price - cheaper than the cable VoiP offerings with more features. Not as cheap as a couple of the bargin outfits there but the features and reliability outwiegh the price on these.

reliable - I have been a Vonage customer (2 lines) for over 9 years now - over that time I can only think of one outage. VERY few issues over the years with Vonage specifically - I can say the majority of issues are ISP related or home router (QoS) related.

Features - unlimited calling to US, Canada, PR and 60 coutries for 24$ HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT.

iPhone - I can call to my ENTIRE vonage world from my iPhone WITHOUT using any carrier minutes using the free Vonage iPhone app - all included in my 24$ Vonage plan. I have an app for my iPhone that lets me setup simulring from my home number to my iPhone at the touch of a button. My vonage number is in my ATT calling circle so there is no charge on my cell for these calls.

Service: I have never had a problem with service. When my old Cisco ATA's (origional Vonage adapter) seemed to be getting old - I was upgraded at no charge, seamlessly to newer technology. The few times I have had to call support I had positive experience with support

Note: for those who continually complain about the taxes and fees charged by vonage - look at your cell bill or cable bill or electric bill

One more note: My entire cost for Vonage for a year is only a little more than ONE months cell bill - think about that!!!

Vonage is worth EVERY penny

Comments:

Review by WiMax See Profile

• Location: Port Colborne,ON
Good "Excellent value, portable and reliable"
Bad "No more customer or tech support in Canada - it's all in Phillipines or USA"
Overall "Excellent value considering it's the lowest cost phone number for life"

·Cogeco Cable
A friend talked me into switch from full-time cell to Vonage and I don't regret my decision. Initial activation took almost two weeks but that was mostly because number portability had only existed a few weeks and Telus Mobility didn't think they were required to do a number port, at least not until I filed a complaint, THEN things happened quickly! Vonage was very efficient. I started with a portable WiFi phone, it didn't work well so I sent it back and replaced with a standard adapter that I later upgraded to the D-Link VWR adapter/wireless router. That adapter died just a few months ago and they replaced it at their expense because the VWR had a known issue that they had decided not to fix.

The first year (2007) saw some serious connectivity and Quality of Service issues. They have since been resolved and I have experienced great overall service for the past 3 years, not including Cogeco (ISP) throttling VOIP when they know it's illegal to do so.

I love the portability, I take my adapter on business trips, plug it into the hotel ethernet port and bypass the hotel switchboard for all calling. It also allows me to receive calls when away. I started with the 500min/mo plan and have been very pleased, only went over my limit twice. I switched to the unlimited package about two years ago.

Vonage has opened the door for me to have cost effective telephone service that gives me a phone number for life! What would make it better is if the Canadian customer knew that they were supporting Canadian employment. Vonage moved all of their customer service and technical support to Asia. They are still efficient and the Asian customer service agents are easily understood however with the current economic conditions, I'd like to see more of my monthly expenditure directed to Canadian employees.

Comments:

Review by pianotech See Profile

• Location: New Castle,Lawrence,PA
Good "Great sound, calls go through fast, quick and responsive customer service"
Bad "No bad. Yes, no bad!"
Overall "Great quality, price and service"

Well, I bought the PAP2 adapter at Staples just yesterday (10/18) and installed it that night. The only glitch I ran into was that Vonage was right in the middle of a login outage when I was trying to activate the service, so that stopped me for a bit until it came back up about 30 minutes later. It's for this reason that I gave a 4 instead of a 5 on reliability and installation. During that time, I called customer support to see if I could find out what was going on. I was pleasantly surprised to have less than a minute on hold before I got to the first support rep. He then bumped me up to a different department by giving me their direct line. With that call, I had NO wait at all...a rep answered the phone.

Once the server came back up I was able to finish activating. Connected the adapter to my router and waited about a minute while it synced up. Picked up the phone and had a nice, clear dial tone. Calls both incoming and outgoing have been great! They go through quickly and the sound quality is crystal clear, unlike my Verizon land line which has background noise.

So for the time being I'm very happy with the service and will update this review as I use it more.

*UPDATE 10-20-05* Three days into it now and no issues whatsoever. Call quality exceeds that of my landline. Features work beautifully. Checking voicemail with a simple *123 is beautifully simple. So so far, no complaints, and I've updated the reliability to a 5.

*UPDATE 10-21-05* For the time being, I'm going to bump the reliability from 5 to 4. This is not because of anything to do with calls or call quality, which are excellent. Rather, their site tends to have issues with logging in to your account dashboard from time to time. Doesn't affect performance of your phone, but is a detail nevertheless that isn't up to par, in my opinion. Phone performance is still exceptional and I still highly recommend the service.

*UPDATE 10-31-05* Sailing along smoothly with absolutely no troubles. Calls, both incoming and outgoing work great and are crystal clear. Website working fine, so bumping the reliability back up to 5.

*UPDATE 11-24-05* Have had the service over a month now and have absolutely 0 complaints. Excellent call quality, no outages, features working great (3-way-calling is something we use a lot), website working great. Highly recommend this service if your broadband service is stable and dependable.

*UPDATE 11-12-06* Have had the service over a year now and have absolutely 0 complaints. The service has not been down once, call clarity is excellent, and the service does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm very pleased and highly recommend it.

*UPDATE 7-23-11* Nearly 5 years later, I can say I'm a Vonage advocate. In the past 5 years, I'm aware of maybe 5 total minutes of down time. Good value, solid dependability. Definitely recommend.

member for 11.5 years, 2173 visits, last login: 137 days ago