Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by WiMax See Profile

• Location: Port Colborne,ON
Good "Excellent value, portable and reliable"
Bad "No more customer or tech support in Canada - it's all in Phillipines or USA"
Overall "Excellent value considering it's the lowest cost phone number for life"

·Cogeco Cable
A friend talked me into switch from full-time cell to Vonage and I don't regret my decision. Initial activation took almost two weeks but that was mostly because number portability had only existed a few weeks and Telus Mobility didn't think they were required to do a number port, at least not until I filed a complaint, THEN things happened quickly! Vonage was very efficient. I started with a portable WiFi phone, it didn't work well so I sent it back and replaced with a standard adapter that I later upgraded to the D-Link VWR adapter/wireless router. That adapter died just a few months ago and they replaced it at their expense because the VWR had a known issue that they had decided not to fix.

The first year (2007) saw some serious connectivity and Quality of Service issues. They have since been resolved and I have experienced great overall service for the past 3 years, not including Cogeco (ISP) throttling VOIP when they know it's illegal to do so.

I love the portability, I take my adapter on business trips, plug it into the hotel ethernet port and bypass the hotel switchboard for all calling. It also allows me to receive calls when away. I started with the 500min/mo plan and have been very pleased, only went over my limit twice. I switched to the unlimited package about two years ago.

Vonage has opened the door for me to have cost effective telephone service that gives me a phone number for life! What would make it better is if the Canadian customer knew that they were supporting Canadian employment. Vonage moved all of their customer service and technical support to Asia. They are still efficient and the Asian customer service agents are easily understood however with the current economic conditions, I'd like to see more of my monthly expenditure directed to Canadian employees.

Comments:

Review by pianotech See Profile

• Location: New Castle,Lawrence,PA
Good "Great sound, calls go through fast, quick and responsive customer service"
Bad "No bad. Yes, no bad!"
Overall "Great quality, price and service"

Well, I bought the PAP2 adapter at Staples just yesterday (10/18) and installed it that night. The only glitch I ran into was that Vonage was right in the middle of a login outage when I was trying to activate the service, so that stopped me for a bit until it came back up about 30 minutes later. It's for this reason that I gave a 4 instead of a 5 on reliability and installation. During that time, I called customer support to see if I could find out what was going on. I was pleasantly surprised to have less than a minute on hold before I got to the first support rep. He then bumped me up to a different department by giving me their direct line. With that call, I had NO wait at all...a rep answered the phone.

Once the server came back up I was able to finish activating. Connected the adapter to my router and waited about a minute while it synced up. Picked up the phone and had a nice, clear dial tone. Calls both incoming and outgoing have been great! They go through quickly and the sound quality is crystal clear, unlike my Verizon land line which has background noise.

So for the time being I'm very happy with the service and will update this review as I use it more.

*UPDATE 10-20-05* Three days into it now and no issues whatsoever. Call quality exceeds that of my landline. Features work beautifully. Checking voicemail with a simple *123 is beautifully simple. So so far, no complaints, and I've updated the reliability to a 5.

*UPDATE 10-21-05* For the time being, I'm going to bump the reliability from 5 to 4. This is not because of anything to do with calls or call quality, which are excellent. Rather, their site tends to have issues with logging in to your account dashboard from time to time. Doesn't affect performance of your phone, but is a detail nevertheless that isn't up to par, in my opinion. Phone performance is still exceptional and I still highly recommend the service.

*UPDATE 10-31-05* Sailing along smoothly with absolutely no troubles. Calls, both incoming and outgoing work great and are crystal clear. Website working fine, so bumping the reliability back up to 5.

*UPDATE 11-24-05* Have had the service over a month now and have absolutely 0 complaints. Excellent call quality, no outages, features working great (3-way-calling is something we use a lot), website working great. Highly recommend this service if your broadband service is stable and dependable.

*UPDATE 11-12-06* Have had the service over a year now and have absolutely 0 complaints. The service has not been down once, call clarity is excellent, and the service does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm very pleased and highly recommend it.

*UPDATE 7-23-11* Nearly 5 years later, I can say I'm a Vonage advocate. In the past 5 years, I'm aware of maybe 5 total minutes of down time. Good value, solid dependability. Definitely recommend.

member for 11.9 years, 2173 visits, last login: 256 days ago

Comments:

Review by dj0521 See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Many features, Good quality, No Problems"
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Good service, but you pay the price for it."

I have 3 lines on 2 devices with Vonage for over 1 year now. I have been very pleased with their service and quality of the calls even with all 3 lines in use at one time. I even had a older pap2 device that turned faulty after about 3 months of the service being turned on, so they sent me a free brand new device 2nd day air for FREE. Customer service has improved over time i believe. I am a happy customer.

Comments:

Review by pghviewer See Profile

• Location: Ambridge,Beaver,PA
Good "PRICE!"
Bad "Some Outages"
Overall "If You Want To Save Some Money, Go For It."

I Have Been With Vonage For About 7-8 Months Now.
I Bought All The Gear At Circuit City and Set-Up Everything On-line.
Only Took About 1 Hour.

So Far I'm Extremely Happy With Vonage.
Yes There Have Been A Few Outages But For The Price...And Fairly New Technology I Expected Some Issues.
911 Is Not An Issue for me As I Have a Backup Line With Verizon.
Haven't Had To Deal With Tech Support Yet... But From What I have heard, I hope I never have too..lol
If Your Looking To Save Some Money On Your monthly telephone Bill, I Would Definitely Recommend Giving Vonage A try.

Still going strong since 2004!

6-23-2008
Just an updated review. Service is still going ok. Price has gone up a little more than I would like. I had to call customer service a few times and It was an ok experience...not the best. Whenever there are issues I try to figure things out myself rather than call them and deal with the CS reps.

Other than a few small audio issues everything has still been good. My old router crapped out and they sent me a new one after I threatened to leave...lol

I'm not sure how much longer I may keep them? We will see.

01-01-2009

Service is still going good. My only issue is that after a few weeks of use the Motorola router needs to be rebooted or else calls start forwarding or we will get a pause before answering Hello. And rebooting router wipes all previous settings which can be a big PITA.

Updated June 2011. Decided to Ditch Vonage. Was having issues with disconnects and bad call quality. Went back to Verizon which is actually cheaper with my Internet, Phone and TV bundle. Vonage was okay but could not deal with the issues I was having.

member for 9.9 years, 2965 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by msms See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellent voice quality, good pricing, puerto Rico included in unlimited service"
Bad "Annoying delay in connection from time of pick up of incoming calls"
Overall "Happy and especially happy to not have to deal with ATT"

Vonage would be even greater if they were able to provide Internet access. Of couse they can't so am stuck with having a data only plan (dry loop) with the hated ATT.

Comments:

Review by techspec See Profile

• Location: Longwood,Seminole,FL
Good "Can't tell the difference from old fashioned land lines."
Bad "Tech support from India"
Overall "Great service great prices"

I have been using Vonage since 2004 and I am extremely pleased with the service. I did have an issue after first getting the service with calling an area code in Canada, but after a few days, they had it working perfectly. I bought a router soon after and called tech support for helping connecting it, and the guy tells me it can't be done. I tried arguing with him, but I could hardly understand him (from INDIA) heavy accent anyways, I gave up on him and 2 minutes after hanging up I had it working. Since then the only problems I've had is when the Internet service goes off, otherwise, it is flawless.

Comments:

Review by ExitWound See Profile

• Location: State College,Centre,PA
Good "Can't beat the price! Sound quality excellent!"
Bad "Price slowly increasing. Fees & taxes growing."
Overall "Worth the pennies if you have a decent ISP."

Been with Vonage for years now and it's never been better!

I haven't had a dropped call since the switch to a RTP300RB in Jan 2007. The original router was flaky.

Installation is quite simple. Hook it up to the modem, connect the phone line and that's it. Anyone can do it.

I subscribe to the 200 minutes plan at $9.99/month, but the final bill ends up being nearly 50% higher. Total bill ~$14/month.

The website hangs now and then, but serves up the voicemail as .wavs which is nice. All services, including adding new lines or features, are offered on the website with no phone calls required.

If you don't need portability and are looking for a good, solid service for the home, consider Vonage. It's rock solid as long as you receive hardware that doesn't routinely freeze up on you. If your cable and/or power is out, or Vonage isn't working, contacting someone to fix it is troublesome.

member for 12.9 years, 4130 visits, last login: 314 days ago

Comments:

Review by mikes60 See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Unbelieveably easy to install- Great sound quality"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Still running strong"

Can't believe how well this service works. Excellent sound quality, no issues at all. Plus, an excellent bundle of features.

Use it to call China frequently at no cost.

member for 13.3 years, 3532 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by tagar See Profile

• Location: Souderton,Montgomery,PA
Good "Easy hook-up, nice customer service. Voice coming in is perfect."
Bad "Dropped every couple words on the out going voice."
Overall "Cancelled after a year."

03/14/2011 Cancelled Service

Voice always sounded good coming in but we always had people complain about every other word dropping out when we talked. To be fair I never called and tried to have support work out the issue with me. This was never a primary line we only had it for emergencies.

I upgraded our T-Mobile plan and added a line to take place of the "home" phone

12/29/09 Hooked up and working

Since I ordered this on Christmas Eve it took an extra day or two to get the adapter in the mail. Once it was here though i hooked it up made a couple test calls and then talked with my wife for a good 20 to 30 minutes. No cut offs not even a hic-up. So things are starting off on the right foot.

12/24/09 Called and started account.

I had cancelled my Clear VOIP since they said it would not work with the tower I connect too. The same issue may come up with Vonage but I they had the first month free deal and I figured I would give it a try.

Called them up and they confirmed that it does work with CLEAR and then I set it up over the phone. After the first month it would be $33.02.

member for 10.4 years, 488 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by habskilla See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "Excellent value for the features. LNP for Moncton New Brunswick"
Bad "No individual call number blocking. Some Canadian toll numbers do not work."
Overall "Great way to cut expenses without giving up too much."

Joined Vonage August 2007. Received my Motorola VT 2542 within 4 days of ordering. LNP transfer was held up by Aliant not releasing the line to Vonage. Basic install time 2 minutes. Actual install time about 1 hour.

Installation:
Once I figured out how to disable the outside phone line to my house, installation was a snap.

Special Installation:
Motorola VT2542 QOS is not robust enough to handle simulative use of Vonage, Slingbox, Bittorrenting and websurfing. Needed to put the Motorola unit behind a WRT54G with Tomato firmware to handle the QOS. This setup is flawless. With my 10 MB down and 1 MB upload cable internet connection maxed out, calls are still (for the most part) crystal clear.

Vonage comes with an amazing set of FREE features. The one feature it's missing is individual call number blocking.

Another feature that saves me lots of money is the ability of family and friends to use local access numbers in their cities to call me toll free. The saving money comes cause I pay the cell phones bills of my 2 kids in university.

Over all, jump IN! The service is great!

Update Feb 28, 2011.
It's now been 3.5 years since my initial install. I'm currently on the $14.99 Unlimited Canadian Employee Plan, but I'm not an employee. I was offered this plan as a retention offer. Please note, I contact all my service providers and threaten to quit to try to pry a deal out of them. Vonage offered up this $14.99 plan with taxes comes to $17.47 a month.

NOTE: VOIP service is not POTS! I am willing to sacrifice a bit of quality and availability to save money, LOTS of money. I know there are other VOIP providers out there that are cheaper, but only Vonage has local numbers for my city. VOIP is very sensitive to internet use. A sound QOS strategy will ensure optimal VOIP quality and a lot less headaches. Also note that Vonage does NOT have a per number block feature.

BIG NOTE! Vonage Canada has issues calling some 800 Canadian only numbers. For instance, TeleCare NB is a NB only toll free number that I can't dial. I have to search for the local number and use that. I can't dial any "310" numbers either.

Aside from those 2 notes, Vonage has worked very well over the past 3.5 years. Features I use that save me lots of money:
multi-way calling. Since I have unlimited long distance calling, I call and link everyone in.
vonage access numbers - There are access numbers in many cities where you dial the jump number and then dial my number. This feature along has saved me 1000's of $$ in collect calls from the kids and kept me in contact when they've traveled abroad.
SimulRing - All incoming call also ring the cell phones at the same time. The cell phones CID see the details of the original caller, not my home number info.
ATA portability - Going away? High speed internet available? Bring your ATA with you and enjoy all your Vonage benefits.
Network Availability Number - If for whatever reason your home phone is unreachable, you can configure a number to ring.

member for 9.1 years, 2749 visits, last login: a few hours ago