Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by habskilla See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "Excellent value for the features. LNP for Moncton New Brunswick"
Bad "No individual call number blocking. Some Canadian toll numbers do not work."
Overall "Great way to cut expenses without giving up too much."

Joined Vonage August 2007. Received my Motorola VT 2542 within 4 days of ordering. LNP transfer was held up by Aliant not releasing the line to Vonage. Basic install time 2 minutes. Actual install time about 1 hour.

Installation:
Once I figured out how to disable the outside phone line to my house, installation was a snap.

Special Installation:
Motorola VT2542 QOS is not robust enough to handle simulative use of Vonage, Slingbox, Bittorrenting and websurfing. Needed to put the Motorola unit behind a WRT54G with Tomato firmware to handle the QOS. This setup is flawless. With my 10 MB down and 1 MB upload cable internet connection maxed out, calls are still (for the most part) crystal clear.

Vonage comes with an amazing set of FREE features. The one feature it's missing is individual call number blocking.

Another feature that saves me lots of money is the ability of family and friends to use local access numbers in their cities to call me toll free. The saving money comes cause I pay the cell phones bills of my 2 kids in university.

Over all, jump IN! The service is great!

Update Feb 28, 2011.
It's now been 3.5 years since my initial install. I'm currently on the $14.99 Unlimited Canadian Employee Plan, but I'm not an employee. I was offered this plan as a retention offer. Please note, I contact all my service providers and threaten to quit to try to pry a deal out of them. Vonage offered up this $14.99 plan with taxes comes to $17.47 a month.

NOTE: VOIP service is not POTS! I am willing to sacrifice a bit of quality and availability to save money, LOTS of money. I know there are other VOIP providers out there that are cheaper, but only Vonage has local numbers for my city. VOIP is very sensitive to internet use. A sound QOS strategy will ensure optimal VOIP quality and a lot less headaches. Also note that Vonage does NOT have a per number block feature.

BIG NOTE! Vonage Canada has issues calling some 800 Canadian only numbers. For instance, TeleCare NB is a NB only toll free number that I can't dial. I have to search for the local number and use that. I can't dial any "310" numbers either.

Aside from those 2 notes, Vonage has worked very well over the past 3.5 years. Features I use that save me lots of money:
multi-way calling. Since I have unlimited long distance calling, I call and link everyone in.
vonage access numbers - There are access numbers in many cities where you dial the jump number and then dial my number. This feature along has saved me 1000's of $$ in collect calls from the kids and kept me in contact when they've traveled abroad.
SimulRing - All incoming call also ring the cell phones at the same time. The cell phones CID see the details of the original caller, not my home number info.
ATA portability - Going away? High speed internet available? Bring your ATA with you and enjoy all your Vonage benefits.
Network Availability Number - If for whatever reason your home phone is unreachable, you can configure a number to ring.

Comments:

Review by Matt_31 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "Excellent Voice clearlity, low price, features, support"
Bad "couldnt trandfer number, had to get a new number"
Overall "Well worth getting, excellent choice."

10-2009

Our cable company offers phone but not for our area and after three years of waiting we gave up, Vonage finally got numbers for our area. We orginally wanted to transfer the number but we were unable to so we had both lines our Verizon landline and Vonage. Using Vonage the first time was a huge upgrade alone with the same phone we used with verizon. I was shocked at how well it sounds, but now we have features verizon doesnt even offer like Call waiting ID and many others.

Ordering, we did online and it was simple and easy and was VERY clear about 911 and fee's even before we started so we knew what we we doing. it took a few days to get the portal box by ups and hooked it up and off we went with no problems. Very happy now after 2 weeks.

Verizon: Less features and much worse sound $78 a month
Vonage: all the features and clearlity $35 a month

11-5-10

Needed a couple things done and call was quick and easy and we recently added a a dedicated fax line. All of which is running perfect. We have all this and features and still paying almost half less then we did with Verizon. I HIGHLY recommend them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

2-18-11

My cable company FINALLY offered phone service, my family in law jumped on it. My wife and me talked ... Vonage has alot more features and better service then our Cable company does. In the sense if service goes down it goes to our cell phones, and many other things. We compared the deals and while pricing was close, Vonage was the winner and we are very happy. Yes it does require internet but when we travel and other things its just what we wanted. Still very happy.

Comments:

Review by medussa67 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Middlesex,MA
Good "The service, the features."
Bad "The price, the lack of iphone use with home service"
Overall "Excellent VOIP service, needs to be cheaper."

I've been with Vonage since April 2005 and overall the experience has been very good. The only problems I have had have been some weird beeps on my line which eventually went away. In almost 6 years there have been about 4 outages that I have noticed. I wish it were cheaper like Call centric which it what I am switching to if i can get it to work on my router. I wish they a had a free iphone app to use your home service on it. I am sad they canned the Vonage Talk App which was great to use my computer as my phone while travelling abroad. If Callcentric doesn't work out i will probably stick with Vonage. I used the Linksys RT31P2 from 2005-2011 and just switched to a Linksys RTP300 which seems to work just fine.

Comments:

Review by WiFi See Profile

• Location: NiagaraFalls
Good "Cost effective, 20 features included, unlimited calling, transportable globally without having to call to reconfigure service"
Bad "No support in Canada or US from someone I can understand, cannot contact head office or any manager"
Overall "Best overall telecom service as long as one does not have to contact customer support or a manager."

When local number porting came to Canada in 2008, I cancelled my cell service and immediately ported to Vonage. The only thing I regret is that Cogeco Cable is throttling my VOIP ports and creating issues. Obviously this is being done to convince me to buy their VOIP service. This is clearly in violation of federal law but neither Cogeco or the government will give me the tools to prove this.

Ordering was quite painless. I called Vonage, they took all the appropriate information including my existing number and provider, explained all charges clearly, charged back my credit card immediately for upfront fees and then advised I would be auto billed to my credit card monthly. The adapter was shipped by courier in 2 business days and it took another 4 days for my number to be ported. I was able to make outgoing calls immediately with the virtual number that was programmed into the adapter.

Overall, the Vonage service is terrific! I moved my parents to it a few months later and now in their 80's, they enjoy telling their friends how much less money they spend as compared with Bell and that with high speed they no longer tie up their phone line when using the Internet.

There are over 20 features most of which I, my parents and friends don't use but at least they are included unlike most other telcos that nickel and dime for every additional feature. (ie How many telcos let you call unlimited to North America AND 60 other countries as an INCLUDED feature?)

Transportability is important to me. I travel on business and when I leave, my Vonage adapter goes into my case with my computer. When I arrive at a hotel, I plug into their ethernet and in less than 1 minute, my local service is operating with my number - this works ANYWHERE in the world! This means that my local number is always with me - I can receive make and receive calls as if I'm at home and unless I tell the caller where I am, they would never know!

Privacy is also important. The Anonymous Call Block feature stops any anonymous calls from ringing my line. Goodbye unethical telemarketers! (**One caveat - I recently learned that our local health care system has programmed their phone system to anonymize the caller ID information for all outgoing calls from any health care facility. I have been undergoing medical treatment and have had to turn off the call blocking feature to receive calls from the hospital. This will not be forever - when I inquired why they did this, senior health care management learned from the Privacy Commissioner that they were misinterpreting the privacy laws. They have advised me that they are going to stop anonymizing outgoing calls.)

I also use a unique call forwarding feature that no other company has. SimulRing lets me program up to 5 phone numbers anywhere in the world that will ring at the same time as my home line rings. I have my cell phone programmed so that it now acts like an extension. Whenever my home phone rings, so does my cell. Which ever I pick up first receives the call. This is far better than call forwarding that is easy to forget to turn on and off. When I'm mobile, I always receive calls directed to my home phone, in fact, because of this, I never give out my cell number.

The other related feature that is on by default will call an alternate number whenever my Vonage service goes down. IF my Internet fails (as it did recently), there is a power failure or I disconnect the adapter (as I will be doing when I move soon), all calls are automatically re-routed to the phone number of my choice, in this case, my cell. I never lose incoming calls even if Vonage or the Internet is down.

WIth respect to Vonage quality, the first six to eight months was somewhat challenging. Vonage was having issues and frequently I would receive recordings that lines were busy or I would hear a busy tone when trying to make a call. IT all was resolved in during the past 18 months, I cannot say that I, my parents or any friends that have Vonage have ever had a failure with Vonage itself. It's now a very mature technology that just keeps working....within the confines of the greedy Canadian Internet companies that are illegally throttling VOIP customers.

AT this point, I have no reason to leave Vonage. Great technology, lots of features and priced right! I get far more for my $30/mo service than a friend (90 years old) whom I just helped change her Bell telco service to drop her bill from $71/mo to $42/mo! She has NO FEATURES except for a 500 minute block of calling for all of North America!

The only criticism I have are: 1. Poor customer service 2. No ability to contact Vonage management or head office. 3. 9-1-1 system does not work well (although this is common to ALL VOIP, read further)

About 18 months ago, Vonage fired all of their Canada and US customer and tech support staff and outsourced to the Phillipines. It's hard to understand what the agents are saying and it takes forever to get anything done. (I have had some limited success with contacting tech support via email from the Vonage website) In addition, Vonage does not publish ANY information about how to contact management or the head office. Customer agents will NEVER let you talk to a manager and say that they are all busy and cannot be disturbed. IT's even difficult to get to a supervisor.

Last year I had a serious issue with 9-1-1. (NOTE: This is a common issue with ALL VOIP providers - none of the companies will invest in the infrastructure to connect a subscriber to their own local 9-1-1 center directly.) The Vonage outsourced call center screwed up, it took 6 minutes to be connected to the local 9-1-1, in the meantime my neighbour died and could not be revived when the paramedics arrived. I tried for three months to have a Vonage CSR have a Canadian manager call me so that we could discuss the situation and let them know what happened. I was promised 4 times that a manager would call. I have heard from nobody.

**MESSAGE TO VONAGE - BE THANKFUL THAT THE FAMILY DID NOT ASK ME WHAT HAPPENED AT MY END - IT PROBABLY SAVED YOU A WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT! I HAVE THIS DOCUMENTED. IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO ME AND THE VONAGE 9-1-1 SYSTEM FAILS AGAIN, MY EXECUTOR HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED TO LAUNCH LITIGATION. MY PARENTS HAVE ALSO INSTRUCTED THEIR EXECUTOR WITH THE SAME INFORMATION. VONAGE - ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CONTACT ME - I HAVE TWO SOLUTIONS! ve3jmr [at] gmail [dot] com

Would I recommend Vonage? Even with the 9-1-1 issue, ABSOLUTELY! And I have. And there is a bonus for any subscriber! For every customer that a subscriber personally refers, the NEW subscriber receives TWO FREE MONTHS of Vonage service (without a referal, they receive one free month). The referring subscriber also receives TWO FREE months for every new subscriber - no limits!

***IF YOU want to receive TWO FREE MONTHS of Vonage service, feel free to contact me for a referral. ve3jmr [at] gmail [dot] com

Comments:

Review by sonarman See Profile

• Location: Liverpool,Onondaga,NY
Good "Transfer went as smooth as one can imagine"
Bad "Web site could use an Update"
Overall "So far, thrilled"

I put the order in to transfer my number from Callvantage to Vonage. Looked at cable., but no features and more expensive. The transfer happened in 8 days. The vportal showed up and was live once I turned it one. During the test phased, I had an issue with Calls being dropped at the 7 minute mark every time. Called tech support, waited 1 minute on hold. They were very helpful and corrected the problem in 10 minutes. All and All, extremely happy so far.

Update: After 2 months, love the service. No issues to report. Have grown to love the vportal

Update: 1 Year 6 months. No issues, Outstanding quality

Comments:

Review by mob See Profile

• Location: Lenexa,Johnson,KS
Good "Great calling package, great service quality improvements."
Bad "Minor changes on router require reboots,"
Overall "Great value. My middle finger to the phone companies."

·SureWest Internet
I was looking at Vonage for a few months but never actually tried the service out since they did not have a KC number. On New Years Eve I was surfing around and I ended up checking the Vonage website and found that they had finally added the 816 area code to the list of area codes for the state of Missouri, but none were available at the time.

I decided to go and get the hardware at Best Buy, and they had several to choose from but I would up getting a Linksys device that has two phone ports, wireless and then 3 RJ-45 jacks. It also functions as a router and DHCP server. The model is a WRT54GP2. I brought it home, unplugged my old Linksys router and put this in its place, swapped the cords around and plugged everything back in, turned on the cable modem first, then the router and then rebooted my computer and finally plugged in a phone. Then I went and signed up for the Residential unlimited package from Vonage. I filled in a few forms, set up the hardware to work with the service and in less than 15 minutes I picked up the phone and got a dial tone and made calls to various states and a 2 hour call to Canada. The only major complaint I have about this hardware is that if you want to make a simple change it requires a reboot. It seems like you log into the router and it wants to reboot.

I also requested notification of when an 816 area code number would become available. So when a number did become available, I paid less than $10.50 to swap the number over. That process took less than 20 minutes also. That will allow me to drop my land line from SBC. I figure I can pay 26 bucks for just a dial tone or I can pay 27 for Vonage and get voicemail, three way calling, call waiting, caller ID, unlimited long distance, calls to Canada are included in the monthly cost.

Call quality is very good, but I have also had complaints of where it sounds like I have hung up on people or that I break up towards the end of words and sentences. Calls to Canada are good quality and no longer cost me a dollar to get an answering machine. That alone will recover the cost of the hardware alone over time.

Update 06.10.2005

In the past few months the call quality has been improving. Price has stayed at a stable level, website seems to be working much better when I try and access it. I still get an echo once and a while, but over the slight problems I was having seemed to be resolved. Overall, I am very happy with the service and I would have no problems telling people to check it out.

Update 01-03-06

Service is still great. Monthly bills have not changed at all since I ordered service just over a year ago. Call quality is excellent, features are all working. Voicemail is a touch slow sometimes, but overall I am still very pleased with my service. A new firmware was sent to my ATA/router, and that has helped reduce the number of reboots needed. Still saving a ton of money compared to my POTS service, and the virtual number option looks very enticing, since I could have a "presence" in Canada, while still being in the states.

Overall, I am still very happy with my service, and I still would not hesitate to tell people to switch if they have a decent internet connection.

Update 04-22-06

I recently added a virtual number to my service, adding $5 a month to my bill. I got the number so family that lives in Canada can call us, without incurring long distance charges. The service has been stable, voicemail to e-mail option is really nice. That has been handy, since I use a gmail account for it, I can access voicemail anywhere I have access to a computer with sound and internet access. All other features have been useful, when needed.

Overall, still very happy with the service and I would happily tell anyone to use Vonage, as long as they have a stable internet connection.

Update 09-20-06

Still works great, as long as my internet connection is stable. Great value for services, works as advertised with no issues other than internet service related problems.

Update 03-22-08

Still no problems, just minor account changes through the years. Still a great value. Would not go back to pots line again.

Update 01-01-09

Been a customer for 5 years solid. Only downtime can be traced to ISP not Vonage. Rock solid service otherwise. Fantastic service.

01/28/2011 - Stopped service due to lack of use. Would go back if needed.

Comments:

Review by COMMAN See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
Good "Unlimited local and long distance for one (semi-low) price, SO simple"
Bad "No distintive ring on extra numbers, un-fees have become a factor"
Overall "I left, I went back, I left again...."

1/24/11

Do you want easy, or do you want cheap? Vonage has been the most simple technology change I have ever made - Plug-N-Play. Never had a problem or issue, and after 9 years of use, that's quite a track record, but....

In 9 years much has changed, and there are VOIP providers today that FAR surpass Vonage in terms of value. My 'unlimited' plan was now costing just over $35/mo. and I needed more phone lines for a home-based business AND a teenager, so I went looking for a better solution. What I have found has been more Plug-N-PRAY, but that is another story.

Bottom line is Vonage has been a VERY reliable provider, and for the non-techy type it is still a good value over the telco and cableco offerings, but if you have the skills, AND the patience, you can find far better value out there. My bank account told me to learn some new lessons and move on - I did.

10/06/10

Almost a year and a half now since I signed back up w/ Vonage, and the highest compliment I can give is that I never think about Vonage - it simply works as well as any phone can, 24/7, 365. It's not been down that I'm aware of, the features work great, the billing is consistent, only one price increase of 1 dollar/month. Still can't rate tech support, as I've never needed it. Good service, reasonable price, happy customer!

1/21/10

I've been back with Vonage now for about 7 months - re-located to TN and after moving in I found out that the local phone company couldn't deliver what I was looking for at a reasonable price point, so I had Comcast cable internet installed and called Vonage to re-up for phone. Taxes and fees have gone up since I previously had service, and the 24.99 unlimited now runs me $35 and change, but it's still a good deal for unlimited local and long distance, and quite a bit cheaper than Comcast's Digital Voice service. The only outages I've had have been when Comcast has been down, and thankfully we're a 3 cellphone household so we're covered when this occurs. No complaints other than the signup process - I wanted to use my previous adapter and get a discount for having been a long-time customer in the past - the rep I got (who sounded like she was in Ireland, don't know this for a fact) said it couldn't be done and I would have to get the new adapter and they would waive the adapter cost and the activation fee (the same deal they offered everyone at the time) - no matter what I tried, she wasn't deviating from the script, so finally I caved and said OK, OK - just lets get this done. 2 days after the adapter arrived, I get a call from another rep saying "Hey, we can get that old adapter turned on for you now....." - uh, gee thanks?!? Well, service has been great and the new adapter box is cute, so......here I am, back at the Vonage review again. I know there are many other providers available now, but after seeing a couple of infamous flameouts, I decided to go with what I knew, and so far no regrets. If I wind up needing another line (my oldest daughter is now a teenager - lol), I'll try one of the cheaper alternatives.

8/23/08

Finally had to let 'em go - and thought I was gonna have to "terminate" a person to terminate my account - LOL!

I've NEVER had to jump through so many hoops to get rid of a service provider, but in the end they didn't bill me anymore and have extended some nice offers to get me back - which I would do if I ever need another phone line. Vonage was good for me, and I really did hate to get rid of them, as Embarq is about $25/month higher for local and unlimited long distance, but they simply will not give me DSL without the landline out here, and compared to what I was paying for the Business class COX service plus Vonage, it's about equal combined cost, and COX had gone to heck as far as service goes - even their techs agreed, but couldn't figure out the problem. So, no more Vonage for now, and I DID hate the bs disconnect "grilling" session, but I still like the company and would/will return should it be needed in the future.

03/08/08

Guess it's about time I updated this - since in my first review I said "will NEVER go back to POTS" - oops! I did go back to pots, only because Embarq won't sell a DSL line without a "basic" phone line, but I STILL keep Vonage for an additional line and long distance. I still hope the company can survive, they've been good to me. The added "taxes and fees" have increased the total price a bit, but nothing major. No real complaints, though the few times I've lost internet service I was stuck using a cell phone in a very bad connection area. All in all, if I could just get "naked" DSL I'd still be using Vonage as my exclusive land-line provider. I've heard the horror stories about trying to cancel - someday I may have the same story, but for now, I can call myself a happy customer after about 4 years with them.

08/05/06

Just a quick update - still thrilled, have added a second line and an additional area code and number, no known problems with incoming calls and still only the one outage to report. I think they spend WAY too much on marketing and I hope they don't bankrupt themselves, but I'm loving it for now!

Original review:

Had waited for some time for the VOIP world to become "mainstream", finally saw many good reviews of several providers and decided to take the plunge. I researched several name providers and decided to go with Vonage for the best reliability/price combination based on the info I had. My plan was to keep the Sprint landline for at least another month just to be sure the VOIP would work out. I received the Linksys RTP300 in 6 days after ordering online (I did not port my existing number) and plugged it in on the LAN side of my existing D-LINK router. I expected to have to un-block some ports, but VOILA, lights lit up, I dialed the 911 setup number, and haven't looked back since! 5 days later I cancelled Sprint, (I was that convinced) and have had 1 outage of less than 1 hour since. Have had the service for almost 3 months now and will NEVER go back to POTS. I was THE skeptic when it came to VOIP, especially after reading so many "it's not ready for prime time" reviews, but I do have a good internet connection and would call the service ALMOST perfect for me. I am awaiting full E911 implementation, but the wife and I both have cell phones with automatic GPS location built in so I don't consider this a major obstacle. I do wish they offered "distinctive rings" on additional numbers, but I will just get a separate line for my home business, using the 500 minutes plan (14.99) and use the existing adaptor. All in all, a GREAT value. I could not rate tech support because I have never needed to call! Highly recommended.

(The 27.26 price is inclusive of ALL taxes and fees!!!)

member for 14.4 years, 4125 visits, last login: 3.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by kbayaa See Profile

• Location: La Habra,Orange,CA
Good "Low cost calling with unlimited calls to our international destination. Saved lots of money."
Bad "Setup is a bit of a pain to get the wiring correctly."
Overall "Great price for good call quality."

We got vonage and I did all the setup myself. It was a little bit of a learning curve since we had older telephone wires (but you can pay $20 to have someone come out and do it for you). Also, since Vonage, we have had a lot of internet disconnects which may be solved now that I port forwarded the vonage modem and disabled a lot of the security features.

We save about $30 a month that we use to pay to call internationally. All comes with the package!

Final Grade: B-

Comments:

Review by JRSlater See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Signing up and getting the equipment was super easy and fast"
Bad "Instructions to install were a little confusing"
Overall "Still worth the money"

I have only had Vonage for a few days now but I must say I am glad the wife decided to switch. It was a little confusing for me at first but a quick call to technical support got everything worked out. Tech support was polite, courteous and very helpful. So far I have not regretted the move to vonage.

member for 6.9 years, 1361 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by supersaverca See Profile

• Location: Orangeville,ON
Good "Excellent service and quality"

We have have 2 seperate lines with Vonage for the past 4 years the service has been excellent and tech. support is always easy to access and very helpful. Installation was a breeze.