Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by supersaverca See Profile

• Location: Orangeville,ON
Good "Excellent service and quality"

We have have 2 seperate lines with Vonage for the past 4 years the service has been excellent and tech. support is always easy to access and very helpful. Installation was a breeze.

Comments:

Review by SharonPerp See Profile

• Location: Somerville,Middlesex,MA
Good "Voicemail files emailed with transcriptions, price,"
Bad "no phone when have to troubleshoot modem/router"
Overall "Still love Vonage a lot!"

Never considered any other VOIPs. Have had my VOIP router for 3-4 years now, suspect there's a better one if I had the $$ to buy it.

One problem was finding an ISP that would give me just internet, no CATV and let me use Vonage. RCN was the only one in this area that would. In fact, Earthlink DSL cancelled me after ten long years because of the Vonage, but wouldn't tell me and it took forever to figure it out, was horrible.

Vonage was pretty helpful trying to figure that mess out, but there wasn't anything they could do. After so many positive years w/Earthlink it was such a nightmare I would never ever use them again.

Meantime, I'll stay with Vonage as long as they keep the price down and the service up.

member for 11.8 years, 230 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by kramcool See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "crytsal clear reception"
Bad "service is almost unusable if i am downloading on the computer"
Overall "it's okay"

Service is almost unusable if i am downloading on the computer,but still it's a pretty good deal.

Comments:

Review by newview See Profile

• Location: Parsonsburg,Wicomico,MD
Good "Cheap. better voice quality than my previous (Verizon) landline"
Bad "No specific number blocking / tech phone support is horrible"
Overall "Vonage has been increasing prices substantially lately"

·DIRECTV
I ordered the $14.99 a month, 500 minute local/long distance plan.
With local taxes and fees it came to $18.89 a month.

I have Vonage installed on Comcast HSI / BEFSR81 Linksys Router.
I have the D-Link VTA adapter.

I ordered Vonage service through their website on Thursday October 26, 2006. I received the equipment on Monday, October 30 and installed & configured during the afternoon using the Quick Setup instructions. Absolutely no problems at all, and was up and making calls in about 10 minutes. The call quality is excellent . . . much better than the previous carrier (Verizon) I had for the last 20 years.

And to top off a GREAT experience . . . I received an email that Monday night my number was successfully transferred as of midnight. That's 4 days, two of which were on the weekend.

That's just . . .. well . . . excellent.

I hope the rest of my experiences with Vonage are as pleasant as the order process, install and number transfer was. I am VERY pleased with my Vonage service.

The only downside I've seen so far is the lack of call blocking and anonymous call rejection, which I desperately needed during the November elections.

05/10/07 - Well, Vonage finally release anonymous call rejection but the ability to block SPECIFIC phone numbers is still not available. Still . . . its' a step in the right direction.

09/11/10 - I've downgraded my Vonage connection to Vonage LITE - 200 minutes a month for $9.95 per month, but with taxes and fees it still runs about $15.00. I'm currently looking at other VOIP options due to these high bullshit fees like the "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee" and the fact that Vonage STILL has not implemented specific phone number blocking.

member for 13.4 years, 6353 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kproudfoot See Profile

• Location: Santa Clara,Santa Clara,CA
Good "excellent reliability, really good sound quality."
Bad "have to set wierd ettings to change compression so my tivo can dial in."
Overall "will never go back to landline again."

Been using Vonage for over 3 years now, and have not had any issues making or receiving calls. Sound quality is always excellent. I also use the fax line, and am happy with its performance as well. The only issue I have come accross was that my Tivo was unable to call in, but adding the numbers to disable the call compression fixed the problem.

Comments:

Review by blohner See Profile

• Location: Cortlandt Manor,Westchester,NY
Good "Great features - very competitive pricing - including for international calls"
Bad "No direct VOIP to VOIP dialing"
Overall "Replaced two verizon lines with a Vonage hunt-group and am 100% satisfied"

·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
Update 2010: While the price has gone up with fees and such the service has too. Now all the countries I ever call are included in the unlimited plan. For me still a clear winner...

Update 2009: Still going strong - reduced costs somewhat by switching to annual prepay (saving 20%). Still 100% landline replacement without issues for me.

Update 2007: Still going strong - the additional taxes and fees are not so great but it remains the most solid provider - and in my case a 100% landline replacement...

Update 2006: Nothing really new - still 100% solid reliable ability to make and receive calls.

Update 2005: Now in my third year of Vonage I am still very happy with the service. It's a true POTS replacement for me (with stable Broadband) with almost no outages... Can't beat that!

I got Vonage over a year ago with one line and started using it for outgoing only. I never had any real trouble and the few times I needed to contact customer support I got through to someone in reasonable time or my emails prompted action in reasonable time.
I added a second line and hunt group to my Vonage account in Mayof 2003 and got completely rid of Verizon. My Verizon bill for the two lines (including Caller ID on both and Call Intercept because of the high amount of marketing calls) + LD + International was >$100 each month. Now the bare service is $32 including all fees etc. for two lines with much more features than I had before and about $50 including my international calls... Not bad to save at least 50%.
I have a very stable Internet connection and can count the times I had call troubles in this 1+ year on one hand....

member for 12.6 years, 6237 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LovinItAll See Profile

• Location: Collierville,Shelby,TN
Good "Ease of installation, cost, website has all the info I need re: my service"
Bad "Call quality has become an issue over the last several months"
Overall "Good value and I'd recommend them, but call quality can still be improved."

I've had Vonage since it was introduced as an alternative to hard-wired copper. Initially, the service was not very good, with call quality bing the main issue. Over time, the call quality has improved dramatically, though for some reason the last few months I've noticed a significant degradation in the quality of service.

I have (3) Vonage devices and (5) 'real' numbers, (1) 'virtual' number, and (1) number that allows callers in the UK to contact me withour dialing a U.S. exchange. I also have a pair of toll-free numbers with Vonage. I like having the ability to create a local number for another region (I'm in the Southeast, but have (1) San Diego number, for example). Since I can submit work orders via the internet for new services, it's simple and fast. Also, the ability to change a phone number is nice - they typically waive the fee for me, but I don't know if that's unusual or just something they do for anyone that asks.

On the downside, I've never been able to get fax machines to reliably connect and transmit over any of my Vonage lines - and that's at multiple locations using different fax machines. At home, I still have (1) Bellsouth line, so if a fax fails on a Vonage line, I can usually plug the Bell line in and the fax will sail through. I seem to be able to receive faxes without issue (I know that seems strange, but 've been messing with it for many years now).

Comments:

Review by La Luna See Profile

• Location: Warwick,Orange,NY
Good "Great call quality, stable service, tech support professional and courteous"
Bad "Can't think of any"
Overall "If you have a solid broadband connection, you should have a great experience with Vonage"

I signed up for Vonage in May, 2004. I can't say enough about how terrific this service is. It has saved a TON of money, both on long distance calls in the US and on international calls.

The service has been stable, the quality of calls is excellent, as good as or better than POTS. The couple of issues I had in the beginning were handled by Vonage CS techs in a professional manner. I believe I waited on hold once for 30 minutes, the other two times for less than 10....but since then (last summer) I haven't had any issues at all. At that time, the techs spent much time with me, at least once for an hour, troubleshooting and identifying my problem (one problem turned out to be my phone, and one an issue with a backbone in London...neither had to do with Vonage).

Even my calls to London were crystal clear.....one of my issues was with static/occasional dropped call....which turned out to be on the London end. Once that was dealt with over there, the static disappeared, and the calls were great.

They also have great features: voicemail, call forwarding, caller ID, porting of POTS #, nice web dashboard, etc.

I am saving hundreds of dollars using Vonage...its the best thing I have ever done. However, I still understand that my service is at the mercy of my internet connection, and that it could be affected by that. I also have a basic POTS line for 911 emergency calls.

I can't think of one bad thing to say about Vonage at this point.

3/15/07 Still using Vonage, and am still VERY happy with it. The calls are crystal clear and the service is rock solid. I can't remember the last time I had an outage that was caused by Vonage. I've recommended Vonage to my daughter and they are also very happy with it. I would encourage anyone to try it, keeping in mind that ANY VoIP service is highly dependent on the stability of your ISP connection.

12/26/07 Not much new to report, Vonage is still as solid as ever for me. Hopefully they will get their patent issues straightened out and be able to continue this great service. I have no desire to move to my ISP's VoIP service at this time.

1/3/09 Still a happy Vonage user. Have absolutely no complaints or issues.

7/26/09 Nothing new to report, still happily using Vonage. I no longer have a POTS line, just Vonage and my cell phone, for which I found a carrier (AT & T) that works here in my home. I'm completely happy with Vonage. No outages to report other than the occasional one from a storm, when internet goes out. Having a cell negates that problem.

8/7/10 Still with and happy with Vonage. Rock solid.

Comments:

Review by jsarcone See Profile

• Location: Howell,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Very good service. Would recommend the new phone adapter."
Bad "Not documented well if a router is in the mix. No caller ID blocking per line."
Overall "I would recommend it"

I like the service a lot. I think it's pretty good. I would replace my home phone but my wife will not let me. She is Old fashion with this. I use this as my work line 6 days week 12 hours a day. I had the linksys phone adapter an it wasn't so good. I have the new VDV21-VD and I works great! I don't us all the features that the adapter has but I do use a lot of the feature of the Vonage system.

My Biggest Grips is Following

1. They are not continue with Click to Call agent (it plugs into outlook).
2. No line block for your id (can only do this by call to call basis)
3. If you have your route and you want to connect this behind your router No good documentation for this. It's a lot of searching.

Once you have all setup it work great. Love all the other features.

**update**
2. No line block for your id (can only do this by call to call basis) This has changed you now can do this. They have updated the web manager very nice. I really do like their product.
I have had the product for over 6.5 YEARS.

member for 12.4 years, 284 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by jpinsl See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Works solidly at a low. low price with great features"
Bad "Company could fold at any minute"
Overall "Great if you can deal with the risk that Vonage may fold"

Vonage has a great product at a great price.

The feature set, especially SimuRing which rings multiple lines at one time, is fantastic.

I have saved several hundred dollars from what I was paying with POTS over the four years I've been on Vonage.

One minor complaint: it's difficult to send faxes over the VOIP line.

member for 13.6 years, 860 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago