Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by jpcjr See Profile

• Location: Calera,Shelby,AL
Good "Easy to setup, Great Sound quality, and very reliable!"
Bad "When powers out, so is Vonage, must be wired into house phone jack for all jacks to work."
Overall "Great alternative phone service for a cheaper price."

We ordered the service to cut down on costs and still have a home phone. We ordered even though there were mixed reviews. It might be a good thing we waited until the V-Portal came out because there have been better reviews for the service after it came out. We ordered and had to wait about 2-3 days for ups to deliver the free v-portal. Setup was easy just plug it into the router and let it connect. That was it! The service is so reliable and has great quality sound. We enjoy the fact that we have completely unlimited calling in the us and other countries for about $20 less a month than the bellsouth landline that only had local calling and most of the features Bellsouth (now AT&T Southeast) offers.

We ordered in November of 2008 and still use it to this day with great results!

Comments:

Review by kypig See Profile

• Location: Harrodsburg,Mercer,KY
Good "economical"
Bad "sometimes garbled audio and can't communicate - much of the time it is very clear"
Overall "fairly good for price -still have to maintain an AT&T line for quality"

I an not sure of the best voice adapter. It seems like the Linksys voice terminal adapter works better than their latest V-box with respect to quality.

member for 11.8 years, 585 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by J E F F See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Worked right out of the box..literally."
Bad "Quality like a cell phone in an echo chamber."
Overall "International calling!!!"

·Rogers Portable ..
I only got this service so I could make calls to anywhere in Canada, US and Europe. I guess it is good bang for your buck, considering the services you get. Sound quality...NOT AS GOOD AS REGULAR SERVICE!!! However, since it does work, I'll probably keep the service. I was just a bit disappointed that you can tell that you are on a digital network. Everything else, flawless!

I ended up going to their 500 minute/month option. If you're not using a landline a lot, $19.99 + GST & PST is a great value, especially since you still get all those features such as Caller ID and Voice mail.

Regarding voicemail: You have the option of having voicemail sent to your e-mail address. This is a great feature and I haven't seen it offered by anyone one else. Ever deleted a voicemail and wish you could go back? Just go to your e-mail.

Okay...getting rid of these guys is next to impossible..however, if you keep them online long enough, you'll eventually get a $7.99 /month package..which is NOT advertised, just hang in there and you'll get it. remember, these guys make a profit regardless..as long as they have you.

Fair warning...unless you plan on spending 36 hours on the phone to cancel, you're a lifer of vonage.

Edit December 26, 2009. Still with Vonage - had my first outage with them a few weeks ago for a couple days. I never bothered to inform them because I really didn't care. It usually works well for me when I need it - which isn't often. My bills with usage are usually around $9 with taxes.

member for 10.6 years, 3874 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mcf57 See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Best VoIP carrier in quality that I have tried"
Bad "A little pricer than other VoIP carriers. Lose phone service if you lose internet connection"
Overall "A good/true landline replacement. While slightly pricer than some other VoIP, still cheaper than AT&T."

I have tried several other VoIP carriers in hopes of using them to replace my AT&T/Cavtel POTS line, but none proved to be acceptable. These included ViaTalk, Voicepulse and Broadvoice. While they were cheaper than Vonage, I continously had problems with voice quality with these carriers. They all tried to tell me it was my high speed internet, but in the end it wasn't since I have had no problems with Vonage. It was their networks. I was really hoping one of them would of worked out too since they were about 50% less than Vonage, but I guess the old saying of "you get what you pay for" semeed to stand true here.

Vonage customer service has been great and the quality has been VERY good for me and definitely a true land line replacement carrier in terms of VoIP companies. Vonage even paid for someone to come to my house to properly set up the internal phone wiring to be used with Vonage. This way I can use all my house phone jacks with regular phones and with the Vonage service. None of the others would do this.

Comments:

Review by aar717 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "good voice qulity, decent price"
Bad "Not as cheap as skype (I realize it is a differnet pricing model)"
Overall "Great servce and I have had them for 4 years!!!"

Vonage is a great value compared to buying a traditional phone line. I have had them for 4 years and I am very happy with the voice quality. I especially like the fact that I have moved about 4 times in the last 4 years and my # never has to change.

Comments:

Review by condrake See Profile

• Location: Bristow,Prince William,VA
Good "Call Quality Good, Availability Good, Very Usefull Features"
Bad "Will they be around?"
Overall "Great Value"

UPDATE 12/2009: I am updating this because I got a funny message from dslreports asking me to.

Bottom line, I dropped Vonage when my phone line needs changed. I never had any problems with the service and they are still in business.

But, very recently I added VOIP service again and this time I went with VOIPO out of Houston. See my review of their service, so far.

I have had Vonage service for about three years on a Linksys adapter currently with two lines. During that time I have moved and I have used most of their features including virtual numbers, forwarding, etc.

Compared to POTS, which I dropped, Vonage provides over 95% of the quality at way less than half the cost.

I had no issues installing. Moving to another state was seamless. Adding numbers, lines, and changing features to ring various cell phones at the same time is easy to configure and effective immediately. Overseas calls are cheap and just as good as POTS.

I am very happy with Vonage. The only issues I have had were related to my ISP and not Vonage. I reduced the bandwidth using the on-line tool and that was fixed without any noticeable change in call quality. Other reviews complain about customer service but I cannot remember having to call them. That's the best kind.

However, I am concerned that Verizon is going to kill them using their lawyers. If they are shut down by the big wire line monopolies I may get stuck without service. So, even though I like them, I am hedging by looking for other providers.

Thank-you BBR for making that task easier.

• Location: 305001
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)

All of a sudden my Vonage stopped working and my V-portal is stuck up in 'Retrieving IP address'. It keeps cycling through :
Powering Up --> Connecting to Internet Retrieving Profile --> Retrieving IP address

I have my V-portal connected directly from my Cable Modem. I have connected my Computer through the V-portal's Yellow Ethernet port.

I cannot connect to he Web GUI using either V-Configure or by entering 192.168.15.1

When I ipconfig for my Computer's IP Address, it shows 0.0.0.0

My computer cannot connect to the internet when it is connected to the V-portal ethernet port.

The System information from the V-portal LCD is as below:

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: 192.168.15.1

Troubleshooting Tried:

I tried reseting the Cable Model, V-Portal
Changing connection from Router to V-portal and V-portal to Router.

Nothing seems to work

Can you please help?? I am stuck up trying to trouble shoot his issue for the past 3 days. The customer support was not of much help. They just put me on hold all the time! Totally frustated. Please help!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Turtleman83 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Just as good as POTS"
Bad "My first adapter died on me after 5 months"
Overall "If you have a great internet connection, Vonage is the way to go for saving money"

First signed up with Vonage in October of 2007. Picked up the VTech IP8100-2 with 2 phones at Best Buy, took it home, set up the acct, put in the MAC address and it was on and working. I love the features like the voicemail as email sound attachments, having a call log, anonymous call block, etc, all for a lot less than regular phone service.

FF to March of 2008 I notice the ready light on the adapter blinking green, then orange, then red and going off, repeat the cycle. I tried everything - hooking it up directly to the cable modem, trying another ethernet cord, trying a different port on the router, etc. Then the ready light died completely and it wouldn't work at all - I figure for whatever reason the WAN port died. I went and got a Linksys PAP2 adapter along with a VTech DECT phone and it still works flawlessly. Got $149 of Best Buy store credit for the first set too .

I know that some people on DSLR have had bad experiences with Vonage but I can honestly say it's been very smooth sailing for me. A lot depends on the internet connection as well so if you have reliable service and want to save some $, I recommend it.

11/17/09 - still working geat

Comments:

Review by mrschwarz See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "It just works"
Bad "Tech support is iffy"
Overall "Not much has changed, except the price."

I have had Vonage since Feb. 2004. Other than a few sporatic outages, the phone quality is indistinguishable from POTS. I haven't had any interactions with Tech support in more than 18 months. I remember being on hold for quite some time the last time I called.

They sent me a Motorola ATA, which is still working without a problem. My Dish Network DVRs and monitored home alarm systems are connected and work without a problem.

When I had Comcast HSI, the voice quality could be affected with internet activity. Since I changed to FIOS, I have not had any problems like this again.

Prices have continued to rise. Originally the service was about $16.00 per month for 500 outgoing minutes. With added fees and an actual price increase, it would cost about $23 for the same service. I asked for something to keep me a customer when they had their price increase and they changed me to unlimited service to keep my bill at $20 per month for a year. I'll have to see what happens then.

The WAF (wife approval factor) requirements is simple. It needs to work identically to a POTS line. With a FIOS internet connection, I haven't discussed phone line negatives with her or anyone who calls in a couple of years.

11/11/09 - Nothing has changed. Have the same motorola terminal adapter. Phone service still works. Vonage still raises prices and calls it 'fees'

Comments:

Review by rmozden See Profile

• Location: Campbell,Mahoning,OH
Good "VoIP"
Bad "e911"
Overall "WOW!"

Excellent bang for the $$$. I've had it for 5 years now and still remember the excellent service that I got when my original box had a bad voice chip in it. They did a 2 day express ship on it to replace the box for free. Costs are $24.95 plus tax a month which now gives you access to a ton of out of country calling.