Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by mrschwarz See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Good "It just works"
Bad "Tech support is iffy"
Overall "Not much has changed, except the price."

I have had Vonage since Feb. 2004. Other than a few sporatic outages, the phone quality is indistinguishable from POTS. I haven't had any interactions with Tech support in more than 18 months. I remember being on hold for quite some time the last time I called.

They sent me a Motorola ATA, which is still working without a problem. My Dish Network DVRs and monitored home alarm systems are connected and work without a problem.

When I had Comcast HSI, the voice quality could be affected with internet activity. Since I changed to FIOS, I have not had any problems like this again.

Prices have continued to rise. Originally the service was about $16.00 per month for 500 outgoing minutes. With added fees and an actual price increase, it would cost about $23 for the same service. I asked for something to keep me a customer when they had their price increase and they changed me to unlimited service to keep my bill at $20 per month for a year. I'll have to see what happens then.

The WAF (wife approval factor) requirements is simple. It needs to work identically to a POTS line. With a FIOS internet connection, I haven't discussed phone line negatives with her or anyone who calls in a couple of years.

11/11/09 - Nothing has changed. Have the same motorola terminal adapter. Phone service still works. Vonage still raises prices and calls it 'fees'

member for 13.2 years, 1413 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rmozden See Profile

• Location: Campbell,Mahoning,OH
Good "VoIP"
Bad "e911"
Overall "WOW!"

Excellent bang for the $$$. I've had it for 5 years now and still remember the excellent service that I got when my original box had a bad voice chip in it. They did a 2 day express ship on it to replace the box for free. Costs are $24.95 plus tax a month which now gives you access to a ton of out of country calling.

Comments:

Review by strange_69 See Profile

• Location: Ridgecrest,Kern,CA
Good "Low price, good service, good support. Easy to set-up."
Bad "No selective call blocking."
Overall "Vonage rocks."

Vonage is a good, cheap alternative to POTS. I was able to hook up my Vonage box and start using it in less than half an hour. I am using a virtual number so my parents and sister can call me without paying for long distance. I have been a customer for over five years now and the outages that I remember have been due to my ISP going down. It works great. I highly recommend Vonage.

Comments:

Review by Rob2647 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Rock Solid Service at a Good Price and Call Quality"
Bad "Don't care for the auto bill pay, and out sourced customer service."
Overall "Works Great, good starter VOIP service."

Initial review:
Had Vonage for little over 11 months now. The service has been solid, no outages to speak of due to Vonage itself. Unlike my cable internet provider. Setup and activation was easy. I bought a Linksys PAP2 device from my local electronics retailer. Within an hour later had the service up and running. Since signing up I'm on the Residential Unlimited plan for 25 bucks a month, with taxes and fees that comes out to $31 a month. Still cheaper than my ISP's digital voice offering with less features.

Call quality has been great, at 90k or 50k bandwidth usage on a router with no QOS. Vonage worked flawlessly with my hit or miss Comcast connection for nearly a year without any issues. And you can't beat all the features for the price Vonage offers. No Cable Companies bundled discounts can touch what Vonage offers. I would not hesitate to recommend Vonage to anyone.

A couple days after getting all setup and working, I got a courtesy call seeing how everything went and if I had any questions. I think that is the first time I had any company do that. I found quite nice.

9/11/08
Switched to AT&T U-verse this past weekend, so I figured it's time for an update. Vonage still working great. Still using the Linksys PAP2 v2 phone adapter hooked into the U-verse gateway just as I did on my old Linksys BEFSR41 Now with a better ISP I have less to worry about.

9/30/08
Dropped the plan down from Unlimited Residential to the 500 minutes a month. Was not happy with being charged a activation fee of $9.99 when the service has been active for almost 14 months. I'm going to be canceling the service by the end of October. Just tired of paying for something we barely use. Also today had to deal with the annoying out sourced customer service and automated phone system. At this point I don't know if I'd consider going back.

11/4/08
I have been debating on canceling the service. I have not as of yet. I may not, and just ride this until Vonage possibly goes under at the end of the year. But 500 mins a month out going, and unlimited incoming for just under 20 bucks a month is not bad. Finally had 1 very brief service outage last week. Lasted a minute or two.

2/27/09
Received email today, stating the basic plan is raising to $17.99 a month starting in May. Thinking it will be time to dump it. Either for Uvoice or a AT&T POTS line. Other than the price increase, the service has been stable.

5/7/09
I've had the service about a year and a half. Funny thing is it's been more reliable than my old cable internet ever was. I only had one brief outage in that time. I've decided to keep the service. Still on the basic 500 minute plan. It's all we need, and for the price, POTS or Uverse voice can't compete.

10/19/09
Now after 26 months decided to cancel the service. Just was not being used to keep dishing out $24.xx a month. Was not too thrilled with how the customer service rep handled my call. Vonage is a good beginners VOIP service, but the price is getting too expensive for what we used it for.

Comments:

Review by dunworkin See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good cost alternative to POTS"
Bad "No service during power outages"
Overall "Great service for the price."

I have 2 lines, one for voice and one for voice and fax. Both are the lower 500/month service. Install went real smooth. I'm using a Mortorola VT2442 router/adapter behind a Ambit U10C018 modem and Linksys WRT400N router.

Comments:

Review by LetzBeReal See Profile

• Location: Hermitage,Davidson,TN
Good "nice quality for the money and my price has not changed in 3 years"
Bad "none"
Overall "Better service than my previous (BellSouth-ATT)"

I've been using Vonage for since July 06 and never had any issues. Call quality is great, can't really think of anything bad about the service. Much easier on the wallet than prior service supplier.

Comments:

Review by millerzone See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Outstanding value, excellent call quality"
Bad "None (was: 911 problems and outbound caller id not provided)"
Overall "Loving it for several years already... (was: Recommended but watch out for 911 -- not ready as a POTS replacement)"

UPDATE: It's more than 2.5 years later and I am still a Vonage customer. The 911 issues were ironed out and I no longer have a land line. I'm running Vonage over FiOS. Prepay for a year and so for $20/month we get unlimited calling around the world (very handy for my wife, who has family in Thailand).

UPDATE: Two problems have surfaced that would prevent me from getting rid of my land line. (a) I'm now noticing that my caller id info does not show correctly. When I call people, they do not see my name. (b) E911 is not working correctly -- despite the fact that 933 tells me that I am enabled for E911, my test 911 call went to the wrong call center and they did not get my address info. This is a serious problem! We'll see if Vonage can resolve it.

CompUSA has a special this week where the D-Link Vonage adapter is free after rebates, and then also they have *another* $100 rebate after you've been a customer for 60 days. So basically a free adapter with the activation fee and the first couple month of service free! I decided to try it.

After purchasing the adapter I went to Vonage's web site and activated service. That experience is very easy and about 15 minutes later I got an email with my new phone number.

Everything I read indicated that installation of the adapter should be a plug and play kind of experience but I need to place the box behind a SonicWALL TZ170 firewall. Vonage's web site is not all that clear about exactly what ports have to be opened and in which direction... so before I did *anything* I assigned the adapter's MAC address a static address in the DHCP server and then created a rule in the firewall to allow all traffic in both directions to the box. So, I can't comment on whether Vonage's FAQs are accurate or exactly what ports have to opened or whatever because I sidestepped that whole issue. I think this *could* potentially be a bit intimidating for the less technical among us.

The first time I plugged in the adapter it "just worked" and a few moments later I had a dial tone. I was surprised by the call quality -- in the (admittedly so far somewhat limited) usage I've experienced, there has been not a single sound artifact that would tip me off to the fact that I'm on VoIP. It sounds just like a land line. I'm running over Comcast internet.

So far I am very impressed with Vonage.

Comments:

Review by semotus See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Reliability, Cost"
Bad "Can't block specific numbers, additional fees"
Overall "Good price, reliable service."

I've been a Vonage customer for a few years now and still really love the service.
I purchased the adapter at BB, installed the device and setup service in just a few minutes.

Initially I had some call quality issues which were due entirely to my ISP, once I switched to FIOS those issues were resolved and my Vonage service has been rock solid ever since.

Vonage has provided almost all of the options and services I need at a reasonable cost other than the ability to block calls from specific numbers which they tell me is in the works.

Good luck finding another phone company that provides so many features and such a wide area of coverage for the price. Verizon has tried repeatedly to get me to bundle my phone with the rest of my services but by their own admission they can't even come close.

Based on my own personal experience I've recommended the service to others and they've been very pleased. Give it a try and I think you will be pleased with both the service and the cost.

Update: Vonage has recently instituted new fees. See this thread:
»Vonage price increase

To be fair, many companies use these hidden fees in order to hide total cost in their advertisements all the time. Regardless I like many people absolutely despise this kind of underhanded method to impose rate increases. I've been very happy to support Vonage for several years as an alternative to the current well entrenched and over priced Telco industry but they are pushing their luck. As they seem to become more and more like the companies I fled from I'm now seriously considering other VOIP services.

Call quality is still excellent for me personally and value for the dollar is still reasonably good. But the recent rate hikes, "regulatory fees" and complaints from members here on BBR of difficulty canceling accounts has caused me to be much less enthusiastic about recommending Vonage.

Update: 9.29.09

Well after 5 years with Vonage I've left for Ooma and the possibility of saving a chunk of change.
Rates continued to rise ever closer to standard Telco rates and the feature list had grown rather stale. The Vonage World plan at $24.99 (actually $32.99 with fees) was more than I wanted to pay monthly since all of our phone calls are conducted via Blackberries these days and the Basic 500 plan wasn't enough with two daughters in the house. Other than adding some additional countries to the calling plan the feature list has remained stagnant for the entire 5 years, including a lack of the much requested number block feature which was promised for implementation repeatedly. Would have really come in handy for all of those, "Your auto warranty is about to expire" calls.

Cancellation of service was not easy. They begged, they pleaded, they interrogated. The whole process took a painful 15-20 minutes. Truth be told I was actually feeling a little sorry for them.

All that being said, the Vonage service was rock solid. Call quality was excellent, never any down time and I never once had to call CS for a technical issue. If their feature set and calling plans fit your lifestyle I'd highly recommend Vonage.

Comments:

Review by mb See Profile

• Location: Washington,Warren,NJ
Good "One of the largest and oldest VoIP providers"
Bad "More costly than others"
Overall "Recent call reliability issues"

·Verizon Online DSL
Update 9/7/09 I have disconnected service with Vonage and ported my number over to CallCentric. The cancellation process went very smoothly and there were no disconnection fees. You get a lot of bang for the buck with Vonage, but recent call quality/reliability issues forced my hand.

Update 8/26/09 Over the past couple of months Vonage's quality/reliability has dropped. There have been several incidences of calls being dropped totally or complaints of not being heard. Several of these calls were of an important nature. My research suggests that it was not due to an ISP related issue. I have consequently dropped my ratings of call reliability and quality and I am pursuing service with provider.

Update 06/17/2008 I received a "phishing" type of call and contacted customer service in an attempt to identify the origination as the caller id info was obviously spoofed. The customer service number was quickly answered by an native agent in Holdmel NJ and after some brief research on his part, he quickly transfered me to an advanced tech support agent also in Holmdel. The Advanced Tech Support agent checked a variety of tools that he had available but was only able to determine that the call originated in Costa Rica. What a turn around in Customer Service quality. I'm impressed.

Update 01/16/2008 I needed to contact tech support several times this past week for issues involving voicemail waiting indicator light reliability, a subsequent audio issue, and then to have my device returned to default settings after a variety of changes by overseas support. A very long and arduos process. The tech support still stinks, with the Advanced Services Group being difficult to contact but effective.

Update 10/7/2007 Vonage continues to be rock a solid performer with high sound quality. I am aware of the legal issues they are facing, but I will stick with them until the end if it comes.

Update 5/30/2007 I have ported my number back to Vonage from Viatalk. In my opinion, although pricey, Vonage meets my needs best.

Update 5/18/2007 I have decided that for me, Vonage in fact supplies the highest quality service. I have decided to return as a customer and opened a new account. I have been pleasantly surprised in that the 4 telephone contacts that I have had have all been with support personnel here in New Jersey.

Update 5/2/2007 The port to ViaTalk was completed today and the Vonage account was canceled. The cancellation was handled by an efficient and pleasant customer service representative in Holmdel NJ. The $42 disconnect fee was charged as expected. My only issue with Vonage was uncertainty about their future and concern over retaining my long time telephone number.

Update 04/21/2007 I have been very satisfied with Vonage. Unfortunately, with all of the negative publicity and uncertainty surrounding their future, I have decided to port my number and use ViaTalk as my VOIP provider. I wish Vonage well in their battle with Verizon and may be back someday if things stabilize

Update 02/27/07 Voice quality went down the tubes yesterday. A call to a heavily accented and hard to understand tech support agent resulted in changes to my provisioning which did not help. Later in the evening, I noticed a thread here involving the issue suggesting it was widespread. I was able to make contact with a tech here in good old NJ later in the evening who returned my settings to their defaults and sound quality returned at once.

Initial review: I just moved my Verizon DSL service to a "dry loop" and decided to give VoIP phone service a try.

Comparing information about the various providers from the forums here at BroadbandReports.com did not provide me with a clear preference. I went to the local Circuit City and picked up a Linksys/Vonage PAPv2 telephone adapter. It came with 2 rebates that totalled $100. I returned home and signed up for service that included one free month, and then installed the device.

For the next 5 hours the power light on the adapter was blinking 3 times a second, an indication that it was obtaining it's configuration from Vonage. My first 3 calls to customer support over that period of time ended up overseas and proved fruitless. After the usual scripted exchanges, I was told that an outage in the Northeast US caused my issue and was told to power cycle the device. This didn't work. My last call ended up in the good old US of A and the tech explained that he could see the device and walked me through a hardware reset. Within 5 seconds I had service.

Service has been rock solid since with good sound quality. The web based features are quite impressive to someone who grew up using a rotary dial phone mounted to the kitchen wall.

Updates to follow

member for 14.6 years, 6613 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by IT_Nerd See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Larimer,CO
Good "Ease or ordering, Good UI on the Adapter with orange backlit, tech support via email, great value"
Bad "Slow to develop new features (still don't have the ability to block specific callers thus why I also have Google Voice)"
Overall "If you're looking for a company with a long history in VoIP that knows what they're doing go with Vonage."

I had ATT CallVantage for years and when ATT decided to get out of the VoIP business (well unless you buy UVerse) I started shopping around for VoIP providers using Broadband reports. This was back in April 2009. I forget which VoIP I went with before Vonage, but they were so small they didn't know what they were doing. A good friend of mine already have Vonage and loved it. The only reason I didn't go with Vonage in the first place was that with AT&T CV I had the ability to block specific phone numbers which comes in handy when you get callers from telemarketers that do release their caller id information. Vonage still doesn't offer that feature which to me is one of the few down sides to Vonage. They don't develop a lot of new features very often. Only recently did they do away with their unlimited US & Canada residential plan and replace it with the World Plan. So now I can get calling to land lines in over 60 countries (only cell phones in certain countries) for the same price I was already paying! For me that's a great reason to stay with Vonage because we do have some relatives to call overseas.

What you also get with Vonage is better service and reliability in my opinion. I've traded emails with their tech support folks to resolve problems. They're always very responsive. Their web site kept me informed of my number porting status. I didn't have to call AT&T at all or get as involved as I did with that other dinky provider (wish I could remember their name) I tried. That's why I like Vonage they've been around quite a while doing this and yes you could probably go with some smaller company for various reasons but will they be around tomorrow? Yes people have been predicting Vonage's demise for a long time, but they're still here. In fact I've seen the Vonage iPhone app has been approved and is currently under beta testing. I hope it comes out soon!

When I signed up since I was a new customer the $70 fee for the adapter and shipping was waived. I went through my fair share of VoIP routers with ATT CallVantage (lots of problems due to dropped packets from Comcast was ATT CallVantage tech support's opinion) and I really love this router. It has an orange back-lit display and is really nice for being not just a router but also a caller id unit with a lot of functionality. You can use it to dial calls, call your voice mail box, etc. I choose to put my Vonage router behind my WRT54GL running Tomato Linux. Vonage has a help page that was easy to find that documents which ports you need to forward so that set up was simple. I have yet to actually touch the web interface of the Vonage adapter.

The only down side I would say there is to Vonage is their lack of developing new features very often or having the ability to block individual callers. Though I use Google Voice now for any of the features I was missing in Vonage. With the new $24.99 plan they did give you visual voice mail for free. I suppose we have the release of Google Voice to thank for that perhaps? (as well as the world calling plan for only $24.99 instead of $50 per month too perhaps)

Overall I'm very satisfied with Vonage. The call quality is great. I've heard of others with call quality issues, but I've had none. I do give the Vonage adapter top priority in the QoS settings in my Tomato firmware.

I'd highly recommend Vonage as a way to dump your local phone service. Whatever you're paying the local phone company it's too much. Vonage is a better value.

member for 10.7 years, 821 visits, last login: 4.8 years ago