Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by benjamin See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Best-in-class reliability (no outages yet!), excellent call clarity"
Bad "Advertised plans are pricey"
Overall "If you get a good deal on a plan, this is by far the best VoIP option"

·BroadVoice
After many, many years with another provider (since VoIP first became available, in fact), I finally had reason to switch. Many of the companies I would have considered a few years ago were no longer in business or had significantly changed their service options, but Vonage was still there. Their plans were not the most affordable, but they had an excellent reputation for reliability and call quality.

I can confirm that their reputation is well deserved. Having now been on their service for almost two years, I have yet to have a Vonage-caused outage or any "problem phone calls" (where call quality was significantly affected). These were the most important factors in my selection, and Vonage has delivered. My very-high-speed, low latency FiOS broadband connection does help, but with previous providers there were still call quality issues--not with Vonage.

The other main factor I considered was price, and on that point, Vonage seemed to be way behind its competitors. However, they have some unadvertised plans that are very reasonable, depending on your needs. I get unlimited US calling for under $15 including taxes. Could not be happier.

Of course, features are also important. Vonage does not offer all that many and could improve in this area. However, the only really important option that is missing, for me, is selective call blocking (which allows you to specifically block certain numbers--or at least alternatively route them however you want). You can block callers who block their caller ID but that's really the only option. For many years, Vonage has indicated they are considering adding the feature, but it has yet to materialize. Features they do offer free with their plans include simul-ring (ringing your VoIP line and another phone at the same time), selective call forwarding (trying another line if you don't pick up, for example) and "do not disturb." Unfortunately, this last feature must be manually toggled on or off, so you could potentially forget to turn it off. Scheduled do not disturb would be more useful.

Perhaps the most important feature is the "network availability number" setting, which allows you to set a number to which all calls are transferred if your internet connection goes down. So, if you set your cell phone as that number, when your ISP has an outage, all your calls automatically go to your cell phone. That was a feature I had been begging my previous VoIP provider to add for years.

One final word, on the website. It is very good and went through a complete overhaul shortly after I started using Vonage. The features are very easy to manage and the site works really well on all mobile devices.

So, as one of the early adopters of VoIP who has tested numerous service providers, I highly recommend Vonage.

Comments:

Review by JamesFrost See Profile

• Location: Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "Not much"
Bad "Very dishonest company"
Overall "Would stay as far away from them as possible"

I signed up for their Vonage World – which supposedly came with unlimited calling to USA, Canada and 60 countries.

Then I found out that there are so many lies that they told me – perhaps those lies were buried in the fine print – but one would have to be a lawyer to figure that out. To wit,

a) The plan I signed up for was touted as $26.99 per month, but the actual bill is $39.68 each month. I can understand if the difference is all taxes. But hell no! A lot of it is “fees” that Vonage charges – “intellectual property fee” for example. That is money that goes directly into Vonage’s coffers.

b) It turns out that the so called “unlimited plan” is not unlimited after all. In January, I used 2,781 minutes – a good portion of it international calling. Then they contacted me and told me that my usage was “irregular” and that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs twice as much. When I asked them what part of “unlimited calling plan” did I violate, they refused to identify the specific pattern of calling that triggered it or what I would have to change to be in compliance with their rules. They simply said that my usage does not conform to the “average usage levels and patterns of Vonage World customers”. To this date, I have no idea what that is, and they have refused to tell me. I am at a loss to understand how *I* am supposed to figure out what the average calling pattern of *THEIR USERS* is!!

So basically, I am signed up for an “unlimited calling plan” that really is not unlimited, and they refuse to tell me what the limits are. If they told me that I can use only 3000 minutes – fine, I can understand that. But they wouldn’t say that. They say going over 3000 minutes is not the only thing. And in this case, I had not even gone over 3000 minutes.

I can cite other issues I had with them as well – but I will summarize by saying that Vonage is one of the worst and most dishonest companies – VOIP or otherwise – that I have ever dealt with. I would recommend staying as far away from them as possible.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark

Unlimited plans

This is one criticism of some companies that advertise "unlimited".

But there are better VoIP options available to you than Vonage.
JoeBtfsplk

join:2013-06-09
Los Angeles, CA

Try Voipo

If you are not at all technically inclined, try Voipo (link removed). They supply you with a pre-configured ATA and have a good set of features.

Unwarranted criticism

The "intellectual" fee and the others are NOT peculiar to Vonage; those taxes and fees are mandated by the local, state and Federal government.

If you had read the details about VonageWorld, you would have seen the notation about excessive use (or "unusual use"). Admittedly, they don't provide a specific number of minutes but it IS there. When I contacted them about that last year (I use about 2,000 minutes overseas monthly) they explained it is to prevent businesses from trying to use a personal calling plan.

Vonage is great; I have been a VonageWorld subscriber for 5+ years and am a very happy customer.

Why not just explain your situation about the minutes and perhaps they'll work something out?
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

We all have different perspectives and opinions, so I respect the fact that you are happy with Vonage. I am replying to your post to point out just two things:

1. Your statement that the "intellectual fees" is mandated by government is incorrect. If you search for the topic "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee" on Vonage site, they say, and I am quoting "The RCIP fee is not a government-mandated fee. It is a Vonage fee used to specifically cover some of the costs associated with...". RCIP being "Regulatory, Compliance, and Intellectual Property Fee".

2. Regarding your suggestion about contacting Vonage for getting clarity on what I can do and what I cannot - that is exactly what I did, but they wouldn't tell me the details. If they told me that I can use no more than 2,000 minutes even though it is called unlimited, I wouldn't have any problem with that. It is the fact that they are not willing to tell me what the thresholds are that I am at a loss to comprehend. Instead they want me to be like their "average user" - but I am not privy to what the average user should do. Strange!

Re: Unwarranted criticism

My bad on the Intellectual Property fee. I swore I saw it with another phone provider or two .... which proves swearing isn't good. Apologies !!
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Unwarranted criticism

Here you go: »www.vonage.com/reasonable-use-policy?

It doesn't give a hard number there any longer but the number has and always will be 3,000.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

2 recommendations

Vonage has in their TOS that 3000 is the limit. Even Vonage Business has the same limit.
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

To quote President Obama (*), "I wish things were that ruthlessly efficient"!

In January 2014, I used less than 3,000 minutes - 2,781, to be exact. Vonage contacted me immediately thereafter and indicated that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs $49.99 per month (plus taxes and fees). I am guessing that in Vonage-speak that means about $80 to $90 per month.

I am quoting verbatim some of the sentences from their e-mail, none of them taken out of context.

1. "Please know that there are no limitations on minutes"

2. "We would need to see your calling patterns stay within the normal residential guidelines".

I would have posted the entire letter but for its length. Yep, they use a lot of words, but never clearly stated what the restrictions on the "unlimited minutes" usage are. The tone is quite rude too.

So I respectfully submit that 3,000 is NOT the limit - based on my experience.

(*) President Obama when commenting about the Netflix show "House of Cards"

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
It's been like this for a while I had the service once. when they went to capped usage I fled and went to cell phone and google voice. Been using it ever since.

Review by fatmanskinny See Profile

• Location: Wandering
Good "$9.99 a month unlimited calls, features I need, saves me $$$"
Bad "Call quality issues at times"
Overall "It meets my needs at a great price!"

·Comcast Digital ..
I switched from Xfinity Voice to Vonage about a year ago. They sent me an offer I couldn't refuse - $9.99 unlimited calling (local / national) with the features I need on a home phone.

I received the self-install kit which was very easy to set up. I logged in and set up my profile and was on in less than 10 minutes. They sent the standard Vonage Box. It gets the job done.

Sometimes, I run into an issue where the box does not automatically reconnect to the network if there is a power outage. I have to power cycle it. It looks like the ethernet connection is not recognized (or lit up). The call quality is generally fine. Occasionally, callers hear my home alarm picking up as a fax on the line when they call. I am lowering the bandwidth usage to see if that may help.

Overall, I am happy with the switch. It works and when it doesn't, calls are automatically routed to my cell.

Comments:

Review by mahermusic See Profile

• Location: U.S.A.
Good "Low $$$, Crystal Clear Sound Quality, Much better service than Verizon"
Overall "Get it.... save the moolah!"

We just had our 11-Year anniversary with Vonage on March 7, 2014. Service is reliable, and sound quality is crystal-clear. No problems ever in those 11 years.

Also got nine Vonage referrals within that time, some of those going on or past their 9-year anniversary.

I'm so happy I ditched POTS all those years ago.... I've saved SO MUCH $$$ from AT&T and Verizon over that time.... makes me smile just thinking about it!

Attaboy, Vonage!!!

Comments:

buzzcoy

@charter.com

Re: reply

Yup, of course!

Review by Cubytus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Excellent sound quality, affordable international rates"
Bad "Minor but unexplained downtimes, not the best rates possible. Won't unlock router once service is ended"
Overall "Perfect replacement as a full-featured replacement for any POTS service, at a much more economical rate."

·TekSavvy DSL
·Skype
Basically, it's hard to get a better deal as a no-brainer replacement for POTS with 911 support. I had 500 minutes in all North America, which is plenty for my needs. Don't listen to people who never heard a VoIP call and just rely on 10 year-old facts. Basically, you CAN'T tell the difference between a Vonage call and a POTS call; most if not all calls you make to your bank or any quality customer service is routed through VoIP. Actually, Vonage sound better at their highest quality setting than most POTS.

Their web portal where you change settings and can download voice messages is AWESOME ! Beautiful, easy to read and understand; that must remain the same.

I got a RT31P2 Linksys router with my service, which was due to be returned when I signed in, but that changed, and I could keep it ending the service in 2008 due to cell phone filling my needs. Too bad they wouldn't unlock the router when dumping the service, because it's SIP-based. Basically, I now have a Vonage-branded brick ready to be sold or re-activated.

Customer service is friendly, although tech support is not so helpful at troubleshooting issues on their side. Alhough they don't list it on their web page, they're actually bilingual, which is a plus. At a moment I had an issue with the router, and the tech support told me I may change the router to a more recent model for $200. That's extremely expensive, especially for an existing customer. I just kept it and rebooted each time it overheated (in summer).

An important note if you're a heavy uploader: don't skimp on QoS settings! They are the most important setting in your router to keep call quality optimal.

Sure, you can get better prices on SIP providers, but at the expense of more configuration, additional devices to buy by yourself, etc. The other S-named provider is still a geek toy, non-standard (meaning expensive devices), and highly insecure, as backdoors are placed in their software.

Plus, let's not forget the ultimate privacy advantage: your number is not listed in any directory, so you won't get any telemarketing or otherwise undesirable calls. POTS typically CHARGE this 5$/month!!!

If they could do something better, it would be additional privacy by encrypting calls end-to-end using standard methods, and providing yet better deals like other SIP providers do (free softphone but without additional minutes, 2 free countries, etc.)

The second thing they could do better is have a better respect of SIP standards: unlocking a router won't lose them any customer or money, as they still would get paid for service; publish SIP settings in a way that customers can configure any SIP-compatible softphone they like.

An additional service could also be set up: one access number that cell users could call to get attractive rates.

Comments:

Review by Pashune See Profile

• Location: Gautier,Jackson,MS
Good "Clear, reliable, gets the job done."
Bad "No selective call blocking"
Overall "Vonage is good but there are better options."

·CableOne
1/12/14

Service is still running good but with cheaper alternatives looming around (StraightTalk, Ooma, etc.) it's not as valuable as it once was, especially since Vonage STILL lacks selective call blocking. For what it costs it should come with this option. You cannot block phone numbers with Vonage; Only anonymous calls.

We're retaining services mainly because of a promo deal on our 2nd line.

---------

Ordered Vonage at the end of November 2010 to save some cash from CableOne ($50 per month for unlimited u.s./canada long distance!) Vonage had a really attractive deal going on. Free VoIP device, free shipping, and $14.95 for the first three months. I ordered the Vonage World package. E911 is also available in my area, so it's nothing to sweat about. I might invest in an APC back-up unit and an extra cellphone for redundancy, however.

The phone number transfer was easy and took about a week to do. Vonage device arrived in 10 days.

The call quality is excellent even when I'm saturating my connection with uploads and downloads, but it may just be my router's QoS doing well with Vonage is all. The Vonage box also functions as a router but for us techies it's usually preferred to be behind the router we're already using. If a single computer user or average joe wanted to use Vonage, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

member for 8.6 years, 3516 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Good quality and price"
Bad "Porting the number"
Overall "A good alternative"

Good quality phone service. Never really had huge issues with it. The only problem I had was porting my number over from Cablevision.

Update 8/7/2012

Switching back to Vonage....more updates to come

Update 8/28/2012

Phone worked fine for a few days, now I cannot receive incoming calls but I can make outgoing calls. Vonage is currently working on the issue.

member for 7.9 years, 2102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dmk08809 See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "Feature rich, fairly reliable VoIP service"
Bad "Costs keep increasing with ridiculous fees"
Overall "Only as good as your ISP's connection. If your internet connection is flakey forget it."

December 2013 update: Service continues to be quite stable. Not thrilled about the $1 recent price increase but at least they threw in 100 more minutes I'll never use. :P Our favorite feature without a doubt is the voicemail transcription service that we've become really attached to.

----
Original review circa Fall-2012:

Overall there's not much to say other than that the service itself has been good. No Vonage-related technical problems to report so cannot comment on tech support or lack thereof. My present ISP (Comcast) is another story; when that connection becomes unreliable or unstable so too does Vonage which naturally makes sense.

We're on Vonage's 300 minute plan for $11.99/mo which is sufficient for our needs. Problem is these ridiculous add-on charges such as "intellectual property fee" and other nickle-and-dime fees keep increasing! We now pay about $19/mo total. I thought about going back to landline under a bundled service but the math is marginal and not worth the effort right now.

We really like the voicemail to email transcription service. That's the "killer feature" that keeps us onboard with Vonage. Nice to literally read the message. And amazingly its pretty accurate in the 90% range in getting the transcriptions correct enough to understand.

Porting our home number number into Vonage wasnt exactly a cake walk since at the time that number was tied to a DSL line. Fortunately Vonage did help out with that process and it eventually worked out fine even though it ended up disrupting DSL. That's not Vonage's fault but rather an order processing and process timing failure with CenturyLink.

member for 13.2 years, 2418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by realmike4him See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (5 month contract)
Bad "The Worst Customer Service."
Overall "Epic Fail (almost 5 months to achieve total failure-read on)"

I sent this email to vonage after months of trying to simply transfer 3 phone lines,after dealing with over a dozen different techs(who only seemed to know 1 thing-Pass the ball !!!) Fed up, I sent this email which got a response from the Executive Response Team , apparently only nasty responses get attention ! Here's the email I sent -" you (VONAGE) really totally suck, I mean how many months to try to do a number transfer, and fail (EPIC) over & over, and different people every time supposedly trying to help, I'm surprised you haven't run out of people who don't mind at all to leave every thing to your high tech system that should be re named GLITCH !!! Not a single person willing to go against the system & simply take the ball & run with it, something they used to do in a bye-gone era called customer service, something apparently your company doesn't know the meaning of."

The executives also passed me down the line, bottom line- almost 5 months over 80 emails ,over 12 different reps,they couldn't set up & transfer 3 lines. I would not recommend anyone use this company because if you have a problem you're on your own. Yes there is a reason why they are so cheap!

Comments:

FureverFurry
·Vonage

Vonage is great - don't despair

I've been with Vonage for well over 4 years and am 100% IMPRESSED with their technical and customer service. Really shocked you were treated like that.

I presume you mean you were/are trying to transfer 3 lines TO Vonage ? If so, it's up to the originating telephone provider to release those numbers; a couple (not mentioning names) go above and beyond to NOT allow the transfer.

Try again or post on their FB page. I've always received 100% spot on replies to emails (none of the canned hooha). Some agents are outsourced but they DO understand their product.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sorry to hear...

...about your troubles. I, too, have been with Vonage for a long time, coming up 7 years! The few times that I've called them for support has been very good. I even got their new Vonage Box for free when my older Vonage adapter (made by Linksys) was not working.

--->Robert
8-)
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Ridiculously quick/easy set up, Cheaper then Cable VOIP, 7 Digit Dialing and more!"
Bad "Had a slight issue with payment during set up, hinky ports on the VDV23-VD ATA"
Overall "If you're looking to ditch expensive cable voice, give Vonage a try."

06/04/13

Well, here I am trying my hand at the VOIP ring again. Back in 2004, I got tired of AT&T after some major install woes and expense. The fact that we had just paid for install of jacks and all aside, my family started looking for an alternative for every day phone use.

Considering my new cable connection, I looked into Vonage, they didn't have the area code I wanted at the time. So that way out, otherwise I'd have Vonage now for almost a decade instead of just getting started. I found my actual VOIP service in AT&T CallVantage, the very company I was itching to leave: »/comment/46873

After a false start and some bad equipment, I got started and was with them from mid 2004 to June 2008 when I switched to Comcast Digital Voice service: »/comment/69517

I've had that service from 2008 to now, but recently the rising price and temporary deals have got me down. So I went looking at Vonage again after almost a decade. They seem to have everything I want.

I got my questions answered and went for it. Signed up without much problem until I got to the payment side of things. It wouldn't take my card. After a bit, I got to the final page and payment issues persisted, they told me to call them and give them a ref number. I did. Talked to a CSR named Mary after a moment on hold. She spoke english and I could understand her. She had a bit of an accent, though. Eh, I got everything she said . She took my card again and it went through after a few minutes and things got set up. My service is active with a temporary number, but since I don't have the box yet, I can't use the service.

She told me that I'll be receiving the hardware either this Friday or next monday. That's fast service if I do say so, especially with no activation, no shipping and free equipment.

It was also mentioned when I signed up that I'll be getting a 30 dollar Best Buy giftcard. I'll be using that to buy my new modem and cut the price down from 100 down to about 50 with the price matching and all. So yay!

When I get the Vonage box in, I'll also check the status of my number port as I requested to have my number transferred from Comcast to Vonage when I signed up.
If it doesn't work out though, I'll see about getting a number from Vonage themselves. I also looked into it when I was mock signing up, just in case. I found one pretty easy to memorize and it sticks in the head, so we'll see. I'm hoping I get my current number and everything goes ok.

More to come later, after I get service actually installed.

Update: 6/7/13

Well, on 6/6 I was told that my number transfer would happen on the 7th, the same day as I would get my Vonage Box in. It worked flawlessly. Number works perfectly too. Set up was mostly a snap. Had to reset my equipment to get everything to play nice, but after that, everything's cooking. Got 7 Digit dialing, so that's a plus. VOIP services have gone a long way since my 4 year encounter with AT&T CallVantage from 2004-2008.

The only 3 things that I've noticed that mar a perfect review across the board is the ATA box they sent for the service. They use a VDV23-VD unit according to the paperwork and the one I got seems to have a bad router port. The Cat 5 cable just slides right in, not even bothering to lock in like the modem port right next to it, so anyone can just come up and yank the cable right out with very little effort. Still, I can work around this and won't be bothered by this too much. If I am, I'll call up Vonage and have them send me a new box and see if that's it or if they're all like that?

And the second thing, the way it's currently hooked up to work is limiting my system to 100 Full Duplex vs 1000 without the Vonage box in the mix. Gonna get some answers to see what I can do to fix this. For an 80 dollar device, I think I expected more, but I'm not too bothered by this either. For every problem there is a solution.

The third thing is potentially dropped calls to some numbers. I called my girl, who was expecting the call beforehand and I tried 2 times and each time it rang, ending with a message about a VM inbox that hadn't been set up yet. When she finally picked up, she talked for 2 seconds and the call dropped. I think this was on her end since she said her signal was bouncing in and out. So we'll try again later and see. Every other call I made went through flawlessly and it may be just me, but I could swear everything's louder and clearer then it was with Comcast voice service.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service and look forward to putting Vonage through it's paces and saving 30 bucks a month at least on my bill.

More to come as I test this out and fix the issues I mentioned.

Update: 6/8/13

Well, I've got feelers out about the 30 dollar Best Buy and the hinky Vonage Box. I did manage to solve the hook up problem I was having. I was doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···7rxkKpt0

when I should've been doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···C09IwmMs

Seems I also didn't give everything enough time to shake hands. (Another product of my being tired at the time.)

Vonage has really made setting up their service dirt simple and much improved from my last VOIP experience.

Had a power outage in the afternoon today that killed everything, my UPS gave me enough time to shut everything off before power completely ran out, but I noticed I lost connection to my EMTA that my former Comcast Digital Voice service used to provide me their phone service. The battery didn't keep the connection up this time. It won't matter much longer as I'll be buying my own modem and using my existing UPS as my batteries for things like the Vonage Box, modem and router.

When the connection came back on, I noticed that the telephone related lights, including the battery one were off. Guess they really do only supply power from the battery to power only the phone service. Regardless, Vonage seems to have kept their word that after porting my number from Comcast Digital Voice to Vonage, they would have my Comcast voice service disconnected for me. I'm glad to see them keeping their word.

I love the service so far.

Update: 6/9/13

With the help of a fellow Vonage user and DSLR member, Netfixer I've solved my issue with the jacks on the back of the VDV23-VD that Vonage sent me to use with their service

"About the Ethernet cable not seating:

I seem to recall that with the VDV23 boxes (I no longer use that particular ATA for other reasons) the Ethernet ports require that you push hard (and also jostle the connector a bit) to override a threshold. Once that is done, the cable is very firmly seated (in fact removing it also requires a bit of jostling because it is very tight)."

That was exactly the issue and now I've solved it, I won't be unplugging that thing for anything. It's sad, since it should be just put it in, it clicks, done. And it's not.

Now all that I believe remains is to find out where is my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card? Once I find this out, I'll really be a happy camper...

Update: 8/7/13

Got my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card in the mail from Vonage today. Gonna use it to buy my own modem for my Comcast service. So far, I now have absolutely no complaints about the Vonage service. They did everything they've said they would.

Update: 9/5/13

Well, today, I noticed my 3 month Vonage intro at 17.44 a month has expired and I'm now paying full price at 35.01. Still, it's cheaper then Comcast's solution at 60 or more a month and with the gift card bought modem, I'm saving a total of 31.99 a month over my previous set up. I think I'll look into trying to get that 9.99 a month for life plan I've seen around. But if I don't, 35 bucks is not bad over what I had before.

member for 10.3 years, 6077 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FureverFurry

Vonage is terrific

In the nearly 4 years I've had Vonage, there has been only ONE rate increase ($1/month); the rest have been taxes and fees that are mandated by the government.

As far as dropped calls, you can tinker with the settings in your adapter such as the QOS. Depending on your internet use (e.g. multi-users), sometimes the QOS settings interfere with the Comcast upload speeds and voice quality. Vonage customer service is top notch; even email replies are to the point and not the canned junk !!