Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Ridiculously quick/easy set up, Cheaper then Cable VOIP, 7 Digit Dialing and more!"
Bad "Had a slight issue with payment during set up, hinky ports on the VDV23-VD ATA"
Overall "If you're looking to ditch expensive cable voice, give Vonage a try."

06/04/13

Well, here I am trying my hand at the VOIP ring again. Back in 2004, I got tired of AT&T after some major install woes and expense. The fact that we had just paid for install of jacks and all aside, my family started looking for an alternative for every day phone use.

Considering my new cable connection, I looked into Vonage, they didn't have the area code I wanted at the time. So that way out, otherwise I'd have Vonage now for almost a decade instead of just getting started. I found my actual VOIP service in AT&T CallVantage, the very company I was itching to leave: »/comment/46873

After a false start and some bad equipment, I got started and was with them from mid 2004 to June 2008 when I switched to Comcast Digital Voice service: »/comment/69517

I've had that service from 2008 to now, but recently the rising price and temporary deals have got me down. So I went looking at Vonage again after almost a decade. They seem to have everything I want.

I got my questions answered and went for it. Signed up without much problem until I got to the payment side of things. It wouldn't take my card. After a bit, I got to the final page and payment issues persisted, they told me to call them and give them a ref number. I did. Talked to a CSR named Mary after a moment on hold. She spoke english and I could understand her. She had a bit of an accent, though. Eh, I got everything she said . She took my card again and it went through after a few minutes and things got set up. My service is active with a temporary number, but since I don't have the box yet, I can't use the service.

She told me that I'll be receiving the hardware either this Friday or next monday. That's fast service if I do say so, especially with no activation, no shipping and free equipment.

It was also mentioned when I signed up that I'll be getting a 30 dollar Best Buy giftcard. I'll be using that to buy my new modem and cut the price down from 100 down to about 50 with the price matching and all. So yay!

When I get the Vonage box in, I'll also check the status of my number port as I requested to have my number transferred from Comcast to Vonage when I signed up.
If it doesn't work out though, I'll see about getting a number from Vonage themselves. I also looked into it when I was mock signing up, just in case. I found one pretty easy to memorize and it sticks in the head, so we'll see. I'm hoping I get my current number and everything goes ok.

More to come later, after I get service actually installed.

Update: 6/7/13

Well, on 6/6 I was told that my number transfer would happen on the 7th, the same day as I would get my Vonage Box in. It worked flawlessly. Number works perfectly too. Set up was mostly a snap. Had to reset my equipment to get everything to play nice, but after that, everything's cooking. Got 7 Digit dialing, so that's a plus. VOIP services have gone a long way since my 4 year encounter with AT&T CallVantage from 2004-2008.

The only 3 things that I've noticed that mar a perfect review across the board is the ATA box they sent for the service. They use a VDV23-VD unit according to the paperwork and the one I got seems to have a bad router port. The Cat 5 cable just slides right in, not even bothering to lock in like the modem port right next to it, so anyone can just come up and yank the cable right out with very little effort. Still, I can work around this and won't be bothered by this too much. If I am, I'll call up Vonage and have them send me a new box and see if that's it or if they're all like that?

And the second thing, the way it's currently hooked up to work is limiting my system to 100 Full Duplex vs 1000 without the Vonage box in the mix. Gonna get some answers to see what I can do to fix this. For an 80 dollar device, I think I expected more, but I'm not too bothered by this either. For every problem there is a solution.

The third thing is potentially dropped calls to some numbers. I called my girl, who was expecting the call beforehand and I tried 2 times and each time it rang, ending with a message about a VM inbox that hadn't been set up yet. When she finally picked up, she talked for 2 seconds and the call dropped. I think this was on her end since she said her signal was bouncing in and out. So we'll try again later and see. Every other call I made went through flawlessly and it may be just me, but I could swear everything's louder and clearer then it was with Comcast voice service.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service and look forward to putting Vonage through it's paces and saving 30 bucks a month at least on my bill.

More to come as I test this out and fix the issues I mentioned.

Update: 6/8/13

Well, I've got feelers out about the 30 dollar Best Buy and the hinky Vonage Box. I did manage to solve the hook up problem I was having. I was doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···7rxkKpt0

when I should've been doing this: »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···C09IwmMs

Seems I also didn't give everything enough time to shake hands. (Another product of my being tired at the time.)

Vonage has really made setting up their service dirt simple and much improved from my last VOIP experience.

Had a power outage in the afternoon today that killed everything, my UPS gave me enough time to shut everything off before power completely ran out, but I noticed I lost connection to my EMTA that my former Comcast Digital Voice service used to provide me their phone service. The battery didn't keep the connection up this time. It won't matter much longer as I'll be buying my own modem and using my existing UPS as my batteries for things like the Vonage Box, modem and router.

When the connection came back on, I noticed that the telephone related lights, including the battery one were off. Guess they really do only supply power from the battery to power only the phone service. Regardless, Vonage seems to have kept their word that after porting my number from Comcast Digital Voice to Vonage, they would have my Comcast voice service disconnected for me. I'm glad to see them keeping their word.

I love the service so far.

Update: 6/9/13

With the help of a fellow Vonage user and DSLR member, Netfixer I've solved my issue with the jacks on the back of the VDV23-VD that Vonage sent me to use with their service

"About the Ethernet cable not seating:

I seem to recall that with the VDV23 boxes (I no longer use that particular ATA for other reasons) the Ethernet ports require that you push hard (and also jostle the connector a bit) to override a threshold. Once that is done, the cable is very firmly seated (in fact removing it also requires a bit of jostling because it is very tight)."

That was exactly the issue and now I've solved it, I won't be unplugging that thing for anything. It's sad, since it should be just put it in, it clicks, done. And it's not.

Now all that I believe remains is to find out where is my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card? Once I find this out, I'll really be a happy camper...

Update: 8/7/13

Got my 30 dollar Best Buy gift card in the mail from Vonage today. Gonna use it to buy my own modem for my Comcast service. So far, I now have absolutely no complaints about the Vonage service. They did everything they've said they would.

Update: 9/5/13

Well, today, I noticed my 3 month Vonage intro at 17.44 a month has expired and I'm now paying full price at 35.01. Still, it's cheaper then Comcast's solution at 60 or more a month and with the gift card bought modem, I'm saving a total of 31.99 a month over my previous set up. I think I'll look into trying to get that 9.99 a month for life plan I've seen around. But if I don't, 35 bucks is not bad over what I had before.

Comments:

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
·Vonage

Vonage is terrific

In the nearly 4 years I've had Vonage, there has been only ONE rate increase ($1/month); the rest have been taxes and fees that are mandated by the government.

As far as dropped calls, you can tinker with the settings in your adapter such as the QOS. Depending on your internet use (e.g. multi-users), sometimes the QOS settings interfere with the Comcast upload speeds and voice quality. Vonage customer service is top notch; even email replies are to the point and not the canned junk !!

Review by sparky007 See Profile

• Location: Avondale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "It works"
Bad "No phone support. Just online support"
Overall "If you want basic phone for a damn good price.. This is the plan you need."

It's basic talk. It's a white box version of vonage you can purchase at Walmart or online. It uses vonage's servers.

www.basictalk.com

Basic phone with unlimited long distance with call waiting and caller id. Voice Mail options.

So far so good. It handles a fax machine without any issues.

member for 3.3 years, 163 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mannus See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Good call quality when I actually use it."
Bad "Sub-par support if you nee it."
Overall "Cheap and just right for my needs."

·Frontier FiOS
Feb 2006 Just signed up a week ago. Although my number port is not complete, I am able to make outgoing calls. Call quality is extremely good. Billing would not let me exchange adapters after I realized the one I ordered (Vtech 8100-2) was not what I needed after all. Had to go buy my own VT1005 and activate that on my account.

Aug '06: After a few months of service, I decided that I just wasn't going to use my phone that much as I primarily use my cell phone. Also, my bill went up to almost 18.00 when they added new fees. I switched to the 100 minute plan for 9.99 (11.9X after fees). I average 30 outgoing minutes at the most a month. Would be nice if I could speak to someone other than an Indian phone rep. Service has been

good up to date although I am considering porting my number out to T-Mobile

prepaid.

Dec 2007 - So far so good. I basically use my vonage line for junk calls and as my give out number to people I don't want to talk to. It is also hooked up to my DISH DVR.

Sept 2008 - Still working as it should. As I primarily rely on my cell phone to make calls, my vonage line is used only by my DVR. I called CS and had my account switched to the 4.99/month residential hold account plan. Free incoming minutes and 3.9 cents/minute outgoing. As little as I use it, my bill should be about 8.00/month after fees.

June. 2009 - The 4.99 residential hold plan cost me approximately 9.20/ month after fees are added..

May 2010 - Vonage seems to be pinching every penny out of me they can.

I am on the 4.99 residential hold plan and my bill after taxes and fess is almost 11.00/month. I will be canceling soon and porting my number out to trac-fone or some other pre-paid service.

July 2013 Finally cancelled my service. Paying more in fees than the actual service cost was just very sound. My monthly bill was ~12.00 after taxes and fees. Surprisingly, cancelling was painless and immediate. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Switched to the Obihai 100 and use my GV number for incoming/outgoing calls now.. I should make back my money spent on the voip adapter in 3 months.

Comments:

Review by Scilicet See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "Good to stay away from. Look elsewhere."
Bad "Terrible tech support"
Overall "Doesn't 'Sound Good.' There are better services available."

No longer a customer due to unresolved technical problems. Supported features have not kept up with the industry standards nor customer demand. Has become excessively expensive. I cannot recommend Vonage. If Vonage was as good as they claim to be, they wouldn't have to advertise on TV during almost every commercial slot; their service would sell by word of mouth. The supplied Digital Adapter (ATA) is so cheap that they don't want it back when you cancel. "Sounds good?" Not for me. Now using »www.itpvoip.com/ without problems and an increase in features. Vonage has become the GEICO of telephone service.

member for 9.6 years, 2029 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by massis See Profile

• Location: West Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheaper than regular landlines."
Bad "Mediocre service, and worst customer service."
Overall "There are many other providers that charge less for the same service."

Be careful with Vonage, they will any trick to prevent you from switching your service. I've been trying to port my phone number from Vonage to Ooma for over 2 months now. Vonage keeps rejecting the port request with for erroneous reasons. Meanwhile, I am forced to pay Vonage to keep my service active as they keep rejecting the port request.

I've called them several times to resolve the number porting rejections. Each time I get a totally different explanation. The last time I called, they told me that Ooma must be rejecting my port request. They also told me that they have no record me my previous service calls, and they have no means of tracking any port request rejections.

I have repeatedly asked service reps to have a manager call me. I haven't received a single callback yet.

Comments:

sefuski

@rr.com

Cancellation - Crazy Generous - You Wish - Stay Away!

Having been a Vonage customer for almost 8 straight years, I decided to cancel the service. Primarily because there are other VoIP services out there equally good, if not better, such as MagicJack. And whose customer service does not suck brilliantly, like Vonage's.

Vonage has a tag line - Crazy Generous. Their customer service is crazy for sure. And generous they are not, by any standards.

There is no option online to cancel your account. You are billed in advance. And you have to work with "customer no service", who tries to trick you into signing up for something you dont want.

My billing cycle ended y'day. And when I called in today to cancel, they had already billed me for the following month and were unwilling to refund anything whatsover. I was a loyal customer for 8 straight years, and I hardly used their service at all. The customer service representative had no communication skills whatsoever... talking to someone else while I was on the line every other minute.

It was downright pathetic that they were unable to cancel my billing the very first day of the billing cycle. And then to top it all their tag line "crazy generous" adds to the pun.

Recommendation: Stay away and go with MagicJack!
Expand your moderator at work

Penni620

@verizon.net

Re: Cancellation - Crazy Generous - You Wish - Stay Away!

That is exactly what happened to me!!

STAY AWAY!!! I tried to cancel and they talked me into another service that I didn't want. They quoted me $9.99 per month however, with taxes and surcharges, the monthly charge was actually $16.95. When I called back to cancel again I asked for a credit for the couple of months I had paid with no usage and they denied the request.

Their customer service is the worst. They don't want to help out the customer at all. They're only interested in getting your money. Customer "No" Service is right!!!

Review by Milkman See Profile

• Location: Brooksville,Hernando,FL
Good "Incredibly, unbelievable, reliable"
Bad "Fax very unreliable"
Overall "EXCELLENT voice service"

·Bright House Dig..
·Bright House
I have had my line installed for approximately 10 years now I think. There has been no downtime that I can think of ever. The call quality is as good as a standard land line. VERY VERY reliable. When I called tech support for my fax issue, their India based tech support was less than useless. Very scripted with no escalation path.

BTW - The price that I listed is for TWO lines.

Comments:

Sophie20051

@qwest.net

Bad connection would not give promised refund when cancelled

I have been a customer for 5 yrs. Connection would drop from time to time. My internet connection was ok. I work from home online and keep on dropping customers was extremely annoying. I had to use my cell phone which was very expensive.

Now that I am moving, when I called they tired to lure me into keeping the account by charging $9.95/mos when I paid $30/mo for 5 yrs. The teller told me, you'll get a prorated refund if you cancel b4 the term is over. Now that I figured I don't need vonage at my new place (it actually cost me less by bundling with a local company), they tell me I don't get a refund!

Over the yrs, I referred them to a lot of friends. I'm going to all call them back to let them know about this situation. Counting all the dropping issue I had, they shoulda offered to refund my last month. NOW, that woulda been great customer service. Of course, when you call them for technical issues, you end up in India where their accent is very hard to understand. To top it all, when the last teller (he was a manager) said, I'll transfer you to a supervisor, the line rang and rang with no one at the other end. Couln't even get a voicemail or anything. What a nasty but clever way to get red of a customer!!

All I'm saying is doing things LOCALLY IS THE WAY!!!

Sophie

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "The Website is so easy to navigate with plenty of help info. Automatic bill pay is convenient too.Incoming/outgoing call logs."
Bad "If there is a power outage(rarely) your phone don't work. Once in a while I get an echo"
Overall "As long as your Internet provider is steady, Vonage will be too."

·magicjack.com
Called on the phone and within a week the 4 port Ethernet Motorola voice gateway router arrived. Within another week I had my existing phone number transferred. I was given a "virtual number" on a temporary basis. You must disconnect the telephone line from utility pole going inside the telephone interface box, so the voltage coming from the Telephone Company does not interfere with the VOIP.

The first thing I noticed was when making a call it takes about 5 seconds for the call to connect and start to ring. I also noticed the call volume much louder.

I have E911 service. When making a call to 911 their operator sees my name and address immediately.

All the features from AT&T, (Caller ID, Call waiting, 3-way call, call forwarding etc.) are available and a few that are available only with Vonage. A nice feature, automatic call forwarding if the Internet is experiencing an outage. When logged into the web site or what they call *Dashboard* you can configure the audio quality of your phone line by adjusting how much upload bandwidth is utilized. Set at maximum quality uses about 90k of your upload. They have a convenient Download/Upload measurement page. Also, while logging in at work or anywhere there is internet access, the incoming and out-going calls are logged complete with caller ID. Good for those parents who have teenagers at home while you are at work. Your phone bill automatically increments when *non-free* calls are made.

*Local and long distance calls to all 50 states and Canada are free just like many cell-phone Companies. Calls to the UK, Spain and Dublin and other European countries are free too.

I have the Premium Unlimited Plan @ $24.99 per month plus about $17 in fee's. If all your calls are free your monthly bill would be under $50 for the unlimited calls.

I can go on and on about my experience with Vonage, but I've been typing for over 30 minutes.

5/12/2007

I've had Vonage for a while now and noticed the same good quality making calls to the U.S. But, making international calls to Asia has poor quality with breaking up. Sometimes I simply call the person back, or, actually have to power on reset. I know the problem is within Vonage because I've used a calling card and I get GREAT sound quality without break-ups..

The phone support from Mumbai India is a bit frustrating. They sound like friggin robots. Once you get to level 2 support from New Jersey it gets a little better.

During the Christmas holiday there was an earthquake in Taiwan. I don't know if it is related, but to place a call to Asia, it would take about 45 seconds of dead silence just for the call to go thru. Sometimes I would get a "Line is busy" message. When I finally got connected, the person I was trying to call said "I wasn't on the phone all day". Once apon receiving the busy line message it was over 1 minute. Vonage would proceed to charge me for a call over the 1 minute mark.

1/25/2008

Since my last update until about 2 weeks ago I had nothing but problems with my internet. Since the problems have been fixed I can now experience "beautiful crisp and clear" phone calls. Ever since I joined Vonage the call quality was noticeably "choppy" at times but not to the point of getting aggravated. I'm guessing the "Choppy" quality was due to my internet getting close to a overload with the amount of subscribers that my Download/Upload channel at the CMTS can handle. Since last May I'm guessing Comcast signed up one too many people and never made the accommodations via their network.
Vonage's rates for international calls are reasonable and you can use a prepaid calling card and simply dial the local access number which is unlimited.

9/20/2008

Still going smooth since my internet connection was fixed earlier this year. I'm still dialing a local number and using a prepaid telecom to place my international calls. I might stay with Vonage as long as they can stay alive.

7/10/2010

Almost 2 years later and I'm just happy they are still in business! The cost per month is hovering around $40 per month and no problems..

4/18/2013

Back in November of 2012 I cancelled Vonage. After 2 months I had enough with MJ's blocking calling card access numbers and went back to Vonage. They have a 30 day money back guarantee and I noticed I was finally able to get my number ported after the 30 day period passed.
I found out that they now have free calls to Globe Telecom subscribers in the Philippines. So now I'm enjoying unlimited international calls and monthly phone bill around $36.83.

Comments:

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Fair Service, support Pretty Good ???"
Bad "Over Priced"
Overall "Dropped Vontage, went to a GO Phone"

·Cox HSI
I had ATT. for about 6 years , got tired of them, always took to long to talk to a PERSON.. Time for a change . So I went with Vonage, Just have had the service about 60 days so far, & Very Happy I made the move so far,.. I like the cost, and the extras you get, a lot more for free, that you have to pay for with a land line , so far I really like the service, Tech support has been a lot better too. & there cheaper too.. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update...7/2/08... Vonage..Rocks.. Very Happy with the service.... Glad I made the move to Voip. 2/1/09.. And Vonage is still giving me pretty good service.. Think I'll stick with them.. 8-25-09... Dropped Vonage..Thay are getting to expensive . so I got me a Go Phone & run on it & Magic Jack this is workin pretty good for me,, I'm not on the phone that much.. so now my phone bill is running about 120 bucks a year...(; Happy-Happy

Comments:

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "BasicTalk price is very good."
Overall "Make sure you do some research to open correct firewall ports so you can receive best quality possible."

Due to AT&T CallVantage service being discontinued, I decided to try Vonage as a value replacement. The changeover was easy and the equipment came fairly fast, but the call quality and features are not the same as AT&T for the same amount of money being paid per month. I will definitely be changing over the AT&T U-Verse Voice when I order their tv and internet services. Vonage still has a long way to go to provide better services like outgoing caller id along with other features now found on other carriers like a phone book, etc and really need to do something about improving their call quality.

Update: After about 5 years after this review was written, I have returned back to Vonage using their BasicTalk Plan; they have definitely improved. The BasicTalk adapter although easy is not that great, but at least my old VPortal adapter still works and was able to be changed back to it with the correct ports opened in my router. The call quality is a lot better than years ago, and for the price it just works since I need to have some sort of home phone line at my home.

member for 10.6 years, 3700 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jerrywineo

@sbcglobal.net

uverse sucks

No comparison to Direct TV! U-VERSE is BAD technology!

Review by CheckFire See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "Low cost , no long distance charges"
Bad "network issues can degrade service"
Overall "good product , low price"

I have had the service for 6+ years now and it has never let me down.
Even with having a problem with my ISP not being able to provide
solid throughput I have only had minor quality problems with Vonage.

member for 10.9 years, 3533 visits, last login: a few hours ago