Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by .

jkjhkhjhkh

(review was emailed in)

Comments:
Hackster3
Hackster3

join:2002-05-07
Richmond Hill, NY

Vonage

I have had Vonage for 4 yrs. and I must say their isn't a month that goes by without some sort of problem! Either someone dials my home phone and I get the call on my cell. Or I pick up the home phone while it is ringing and no one is on the other end! $39 a month opposed to $135 for Verizon, I'll keep it! But it really does suck!!!!

Review by DJRank1 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburg,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Very afforable"
Bad "Callers on other end have trouble hearing me"
Overall "Good"

I have been on Vonage for a few months now and I would like to say that it's a very good service. I've never had any problems, it's very convienient with all of it's features that they provide. The sound quality sounds great but sometimes callers that i'm talking to complain that they have trouble hearing me. Other than that the service is great! I ditched my telco company so they are totally out of the picture! I have everything running through cable with Comcast for the TV and internet and Vonage utilizing the internet provided by Comcast. I would recommend Vonage to anyone willing to save some money and have a little more features than what AT&T provides. Good job Vonage! =)

2/1/13

UPDATE: This is an old review but wouldn't mind having Vonage again...

Comments:

Review by scokill5 See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Call quality great, no outages"
Bad "No forward thinking features"
Overall "Great service, not as big of savings as it used to be with more competitive pricing"

I've had vonage pretty much since the service started years ago. I did switch to Verizon's Voip service briefly before they discontinued and they were completely horrible, so I switched back to vonage.

I have Verizon FIOS service and have never had one issue with Vonage whatsoever. Call quality is great, website is average but I don't use it that much, have never had to call customer service, but I'm sure they would be average at best as are most telcos.

When I first subscribed if you were on a $25/month deal, you were charged $25/month, and then along the way they started adding taxes and fees like all the other telcos. So now $25 is more like $35. Can't blame them for it, but now they are more in line with everyone else. You could probably get a bundle of internet/TV/phone with the phone portion cheaper than vonage. I have FIOS but don't like FIOS TV, so I have internet and a business line for my wife bundled. I pay a little more for the business line in the Verizon bundle than our home line with Vonage by the time you add features, unlimited long distance, etc., I guess if you just want a home phone to backup you cell phones, you could go to a minute based plan and save some money though.

I do have to make international calls for work sometimes and it is nice to have dirt cheap to free rates for these calls.

My biggest complaint is that selective call screening has been a feature that has been requested by throngs of users over the years and they still won't offer. My work around is a google voice account which I use simul ring to send to both my home phone and google voice. I setup call block to intercept sales calls and use the spam control on google voice. When someone on the blocked or spam list calls me, google voice sends to disconnected recording and my home phone gets 1/2 a ring and the call goes away. Over time, this has cut my unwanted calls almost down to zero. Before I did this I was getting 5 calls per day and now maybe 2/month get through and I just mark them as spam and they never get through.

All in all Vonage is a great choice if you want to save some depending on your situation, but you have to do some research and analyze the alternatives. I wouldn't consider unless you have rock solid broadband internet.

Comments:

Review by jduffy See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Works very well, good value, a true replacement for old Ma Bell"
Bad "Delay when someone answers. Sometimes you cannot hear their hello. Indian Support"
Overall "Easy Set-up, Line Quality just as good as the Bell line it replaced"

In general, Vonage works very well. Their website is laid out very well and everything is easy to find. Call quality is excellent. Features are rich, though not as deep as some other vendors.

The Indian support is total crap. If you need to, call the executive response team at their corporate headquarters. They can get things done.

I only had one issue. The delay. Some people said it occurs when SimulRing is on. I don't have it on, yet when I call someone if they answer "hello" very quickly, I miss it. Sometimes when they call me there is a delay, I have gotten use to waiting two seconds before I say hello to insure they hear me answer. Supposedly Vonage is working on a solution and implementing it soon. There have been some minor short-term issues like voice breaking up, but they got it fixed quickly. All in all, I am happy so far.

The number porting went well as soon as I got the executive response team involved. It's an issue with matching up addresses perfectly.

I have now got my daughter on Vonage and the executive response team help get her number ported. She is also very happy. Being on a tight budget (recent college grad) she could only afford basic phone service from Bell. Now, for about the same money each month, she has all the features, plus long distance calling.

I highly recommend Vonage. God forbid you ever have to use the Indian call center for support. They are useless. Vonage is working on bringing some of the support back to New Jersey. I look forward to that, but frankly, once the numbers were ported, we have not needed any support.

Update 02/28/09 - My daughter moved off Vonage when they started to have issues with lawsuits from Verizon. I moved my primary numbers off of Vonage for the same reason. Was afraid we would end up without service and our numbers lost. I did keep their $9.99 service ($14 with taxes and their fees) but we recently dropped it as we were using other VOIP services under PAYG. Vonage worked well but it does bother me they can never make money. How long can the company stay in business if they cannot make a profit on a consistent basis?

December 2012 - I actually forgot to update this review. I have moved off of Vonage completely. Good news is that they seem to be profitable now. The quality was always good. The thing that destroys their value is the high fees and taxes they add onto your bill. For some people it is worth it because of their included international calling features. But I do not do international calling so while Vonage is good, I am trying to cut expenses because of the horrible economy so I have taken a different direction and now with Ooma, CallCentric, with occassional use of VOIP.ms and Anveo.

Comments:

Review by not quite right See Profile

• Location: Puyallup,Pierce,WA
Good "Reliable, lot's of features."
Bad "Fee's & Taxes"
Overall "Still a good, reliable value."

I've had Vonage for at least 6 years now with 0 issues the whole time. When I started with them I paid a flat fee of $19 dollars for unlimited service. That price has risen to about $32 with various fee's & taxes. That's about a 40% increase. I'm still under what I was paying for a pots line, but with everyone in my family using cellular the reasons for maintaing even a cheaper voip line are becoming less and less.

Other than increasing prices the service has been trouble free with great sound quality, lots of features, and I even got my fax machine to work reliably with it.

Comments:

Review by rsriram22 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "best call quality.zero downtime in last 6+ yrs"
Bad "escalating per month costs over a period of time"
Overall "easy to install (plug-n-play). not so much woth for money IMO"

been a happy customer of vonage for the last 6+ years. great service; zero downtime. no complaints. have been using the same VOIP adapter since i subscribed to them long ago. (linksys RT32P1)..

only reason for me to take my service elsewhere (read:Callcentric) is due to the per-month cost. I figured out that for my usage, Callcentric+obi will do the job.

vonage otherwise is just awesome!

member for 8.1 years, 269 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DanTou See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Easy installation; low cost; lots of included options"
Bad "Sound quality"
Overall "Recommended for anybody with no technical knowledge"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Very easy to install. Unplug your router or computer from the MODEM; plug Vonage box into MODEM, plug computer or router in Vonage box. Unplug your actual phone supplier (Bell or other) from your phone lines. Plug Vonage box into a phone outlet. That's it; all your home phones at home are on Vonage.

There are two plans (500 minutes or Unlimited). All incoming calls are free but in the 500 minutes plan, all outgoing calls are counted, even the local calls. Same costs no matter where you are calling: local, Canada, USA, and Puerto Rico. Unlimited plan includes free calls to 60 countries.

It is very reliable but, unlike Bell, if your Internet is down or there is a power failure, you won't have a phone. Think of 911...

Never used tech support, so I cannot say if it is above or blow average; thus the "3" rating.

Voice quality: incomig calls: excellent, always. Outgoing calls: about once a week, had to call back. When two persons talking at the same time (interrupting the other; I know, it's not polite), sounds are dropped. Thus, the "Below average rating". It definitely has better sound quality than a cell phone. Most of the time, you are able to tell if the other person is on a line or cordless phone.

I have been with them for 5 years and have been very satisfied of the product. Just switched to VoIP.ms which has more options, better sound quality and costs less but is more difficult to install. So if you don't want to spend time understanding; Vonage is a great option; much better than Bell. If you need Bell reliability, it would be a much lower cost to get Vonage and a prepaid cell phone (with no SIM) for emergencies.

member for 8 years, 2387 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lolcake See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Good sound quality, extremely reliable."
Bad "Bad equipment, features don't work at all times."
Overall "Excellent value for international calls, good alternative over traditional phone service."

Reliability
--------------------
The sound quality of my Vonage line is quite similar to a landline phone line. People don't notice a sound deterioration of any kind, except when my Internet connection becomes saturated. Vonage works quite well behind my Cisco firewall, despite the severity of my ZBF rules. Vonage shipped me a bloated VDV22, which is essentially a router with phone functions enabled. I had to buy a D-Link VTA-CV on ebay because it's just what I was expecting for at the beginning : a phone adapter device without any kind of routing functions.

Features
--------------------
I like how people can call me via the V-Access services without paying a dime. Even better, I like how easy you can get a virtual phone access. I have a virtual phone number in Santiago, CL so my relatives won't need to pay long distance fees. The price is fine, but I've seen cheaper. It seems that if you're a Canadian customer, you won't get all the functions that Americans customers do. Some features don't seem to work as it should, like the Call Waiting.

Tech support
--------------------
I never had to the tech support but they answer e-mails quite fast. I'm skilled enough to fix problems by myself.

Billing
--------------------
I've got the Canada World plan. They charged me 26.98 (14.99 + a virtual phone number) CAD for the first three months. I'm waiting for the next bill. Too bad if they only accept credit cards....

Bottom line
--------------------
I'm happy with this service. I'm subscribed to them for 3 months and I didn't have big issues so far.

Update: Oct 12 2012
--------------------
* I realized that people using Google Voice are unable to reach me. My Vonage phone doesn't even ring and they hear a ringback tone.
* Some coworkers who are using the Koodo mobility service can't hear the ringback tone when they call me. Telus mobility doesn't have this problem.
* I can't make some international calls so I opened a support ticket yesterday. This morning, a lady from Vonage called me saying that my issue is going to be escalated to the network engineers.

Update: Oct 16 2012
--------------------
* Now. I got an e-mail from the 'ARAdmin' saying that techs are working on my issue and everything should be fine within 48 hours. I don't have such problems when I use calling cards. I'm crossing my fingers as I'm beginning to doubt about Vonage's reliability since the issues with Koodo and Google Voice.

Comments:

Review by frogli6 See Profile

• Location: Yaphank,Suffolk,NY
Good "GREAT SERVICE CALLS VERY CLEAR"
Bad "NONE"

Price went up to much. Got the triple play from cablevision. Bye bye vonage.

LETS JUST SAY IT IS GREAT... ORDER IT NOW DOWN WITH THE BELLS

6/30/04 it has been the best. tech support is great. I have e-mailed them and called them and both times they have reponded in minutes..... I LOVE THIS SERVICE. Never going back to Verizon Or Optimumvoice(cablevision)

11/30/04

Well I had to call 911 the other day for my son. He had trouble breathing. I called and they ask the address and with in 3 seconds I had the local fire department on the line asking me questions. It worked perfect. You just have to give your address to them. I had a Suffolk county cop at my door in less then 3 minutes from when I called 911. Very happy with the service after over a year. tech support has gone down but still better then Verizon.

p.s. My son is fine

5/12/05

After over a year with Vonage I have now ordered SUNROCKET. I was happy with Vonage till my wife told me we were getting dropped calls and i tried to call tech support. Well the process so far to order is easy lets see how many days it takes for the gizmo. STILL NOT GOING BACK TO VERIZON

Comments:

Review by trailblazer See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Quality & Price"
Bad "hard to configure with some ISPs"

WOW HIGHLT RECOMEND