Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by chichu_9 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Service & Call Quality"
Bad "Hidden fees"
Overall "Good value for Money with Free International Calling"

Vonage router, order to install took 2 days.

Comments:

Review by wizzle See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Lots of features. Easy to set up."
Bad "aren't great in the customer service realm. pricing keeps creeping up"
Overall "They're still the 'big guys' of the business with a good price."

I've been using Vonage for a number years now. What a wonderful alternative to POTS. Much cheaper and way more features.

There are some features I wish they would make available though such as number blocking and set your own Caller ID info.

They may out price themselves in the near future and lose my business, but for now...it's still a great way to have a land line.

Comments:

Review by CMAdvocate See Profile

• Location: Fresh Meadows,Queens,NY
Good "Reduce cost & simple setup"
Bad "Drop calls frequent one way connections (either they can hear you or you can hear them) Poor problem resolution Poor call qualit"
Overall "Not ready for main street."

BUYER BEWARE!

My experience with Vonage has been less than stellar. In the three years which I have had the service I have had numerous outages. At each outage I have called and have been routed from uninitiated initial techs to techs that say, “yes I see your problem” but aside from the reboot/reset of the system can provide no additional support. Escalating to the next level tech begins a patch work process of going to third party sites and checking QOS, Ping test (speedtest.net), mycooltools.com. They have had me modify my setup on two occasions which led to temporary consistent service but back to dropped calls, not hearing call parties or them not hearing me.

Three months ago I was walked through the process of putting the device on a DMZ of my network. Three months after this change I have I experienced a half day outage. While Vonage in their Terms of Service do not provide a Qos criterion, the FAQ does say they provide service comparable to Mobile/home phone. In my experience the service they provide is in no way comparable to these services. At the end of the day, I just want a phone that works. Vonage does not provide this for my business.

Finally, being in a contract which I’m forced to remain on the network is even more of an impediment to moving to another service.

I would suggest to anyone who needs a phone for consistent on demand service choose a different solution.

Advocate

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

just some tips...

If you decide that you want landline, and want say a not so expensive long distance provider try checking locally. For my area (granite city, IL) there is unitel and pioneer telephone.

Again land line based services (I use unitel and like it). I also do most of my long distance calling with google voice click to call. That one is free no matter where you dial. I actually keep an old iphone 3g in the house for just that purpose. pick it up, dial my number, have it call my house and it rings the other end. The best digital line operator a family guy can have!
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Review by jimeez See Profile

• Location: Mount Holly Springs,Cumberland,PA
Good "$$ Savings, Easy Installation, good email cust. support"
Bad "Hard to get a human on the phone for customer support"
Overall "Good value for the money"

I have been waiting for years for the opportunity to tell Sprint to hit the road. They are the only POTS line provider in my area. They definitely have the monopoly and their rates are way too high. I was paying ~ $40.00/month for basic service (no long distance) with Caller ID and an unpublished number. Ouch! But I didn't have a choice....until now.

I saw the ads on TV for a couple weeks and basically ignored them thinking the quality couldn't be comparible to the POTS line. My wife finally convinced me to start doing some research. BBR was the first place I turned, of course! Most of the reviews here spoke favorably of the service so I decided to give it a try.

I had several questions before purchasing the service so I wanted to talk with a representative from Vonage. I waited on hold for roughly 40 minutes before someone picked up. That was NOT a good first impression, but I am glad I stuck with it and gave them a chance. It took 4 days for the adapter to arrive. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

I get excellent customer service via email. They respond promptly every time (so far). Getting someone on the phone is still difficult unfortunately.

1/25/05 UPDATE: Finally got my number ported today. The paper work was submitted on January 13th...12 days from application to full 100% Vonage VOIP service. Not too bad.

8/30/07 UPDATE: Looks like I have had Vonage for over 2 year snow. Their customer service is still the pits; unless you can get through to a tier 2 tech. I occasionally experience poor voice quality, but that is very sporadic and usually does not last long. With the right equipment and the proper settings, you can maintain near land-line quality. For the price I pay, it is still worth every penny.

6/18/07 UPDATE: I dropped Vonage about a year ago. Comcast had a better deal via their Tripple Play package. We'll see how long that lasts. I am sure their prices will increase very soon.

12/13/2010 UPDATE: Ended up dropping Vonage for Comcast's Triple Play.

member for 12.4 years, 2477 visits, last login: 188 days ago

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "I wasn't displeased, overall, with the service. I was not getting the value I had anticipated from the Vonage World Plan."
Bad "The ludicrous agonizing on the part of Customer Service over my desire to disconnect. The awful excuse of a gift card."
Overall "Customers don't need poor incentives, nor do they want hour-long disconnect protocols."

My most recent experience with Vonage World clinched my refusal ever to do
business with the company again. I had already had Vonage once, and had
chosen to disconnect it. I had no major complaints at the time, just had a
package offer that looked good. When I telephoned Customer Service to
disconnect I spoke with an agent, who was excruciatingly polite, but wanted
to talk my decision to death. I ultimately said something to the effect of,
"Just do it! Disconnect!" This, I repeated three or more times.

I cannot imagine what I could have been thinking, in retrospect, but signed
up for the Vonage World Plan several months ago -- the price seemed good,
and I knew I'd be telephoning out of the country. Besides Vonage also
offered a $100 restaurant gift card. Four Months passed, and I just wasn't
getting much value from the World Plan. Oh, and, I'd never heard a word
about the gift card.

The second disconnect protocol was even worse than the first. The agent
connected me with her manager, who pretty much badgered me, and who knew
nothing whatever about the gift card. Promises flowed from the woman --
she'd reduce my monthly commitment, or offer me a free month of service, if
I would please, please, stay a customer. Oh, and she'd ensure the gift card
fulfillment people expedited my card to me.

More months passed. There was a rather infuriating late charge and
double-billing. Coincidentally, again, I'd not heard a word about the gift
card. By this time, I'm certain most people would have just forgotten and
written off the card. Hot under the collar about the entire mess, I
telephoned, and said I wanted to disconnect. The agent wanted to, once
again, commiserate, understand, etc. This time my voice rose to opera
volume. "No. No more talk. I have no time. Disconnect, disconnect,
disconnect!"

Incidentally, Vonage credited me for the late fee and double-billing. A
month or so later, what should appear? Oh, yes, you guessed it -- the
restaurant gift card. The blasted gift card turned out to be not a gift
card at all. The issuer e-mails a code. The restaurants were 95% places of
which I'd never heard, lots of them, ethnic holes in the wall. Of course
I'd have had to spend $75, in order to get a $25 rebate with certain
additional restrictions. There was a merchandise offer for something over a
$100 or $125 purchase, with a $25 rebate, offset, of course, by a high
shipping fee -- it was for premium beef, a product I would use, but a
losing proposition with the shipping included.

Vonage -- run the other way. Never look back.
*Kathleen

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by DaveDude See Profile

• Location: Skillman,Somerset,NJ
Good "At least 30 dollars less then the phone company"
Bad "Customer service is completely useless"
Overall "Your unsupported, so if you want to risk it"

·ViaTalk
Okay i had there service for 4 days and decided to transfer my number after the fact. So vonage wants to charge me $10 dollars, for something that should be free. If you want service without support, then this is the one. The people who answer the phone have no customer service skills, and really dont want to help. I intend to demand a full refund.

++UPDATE

I cancelled after 5 days. Here are the reasons.

1. There websites states "NO ANNUAL CONTRACTS", yet there TOS says $39 fee if you cancelled within the first 12 months. You have to be a customer for 1yr and 1 month.

2. They dont tell you there is a charge of $10, if you decide to port your number after you sign up. Most others are free.

3. Customer service is more a gaunlet, then a helpful resources. When i called to cancel, my service level rose to an normal level.

4. There is a $10 charge to change plans. so if you go from 500 mins to unlimited, they will charge you..

Avoid Vonage..

++++ update 2

I decided to go with patmedia digital phone.

I can quit at any time, number transfer is free, and i have support 24/7 from my cableco.

++update 3

I still have yet to recieve my refund, yet ups and vonage, have sent email stating they recieved the equipement. Next week i will complain to Visa, and the BBB.

++update 4

Still no refund on my credit card, regarding there 30 day money back guarentee. So far i would never recommend you do any type of business with these people.

++ UPDATE 5.

I called to today to discuss my refund, I was bounced around about 3 more times till i got a rep to help me. Well its now an additional 7-10 days to get a refund. So i guess you have to call and remind them to honor there 30 day money back guarantee. April 3 was the day i was billed for there service and i still havent recieved a refund. Today is
april 12.

+update +
I finally got my refund, it took until April 29th.

member for 15.1 years, 4613 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "No Equipment Costs"
Bad "Issues With Dropped Calls, Dead Air"
Overall "Stay Away, Too Many Price Increases"

12/26/11 - Received my $10 check as part of the Vonage settlement for their billing $10 for the first month of service, even though it can be much shorter than a month. I filled out a form that was linked on the Vonage website, never thought I'd see anything, pleasant surprise, too bad I'm no longer a customer, and never will be again...

5/26/11 - Just received an email on 5/25/2011 my rate was increasing 20%. I called customer service, and they agreed to let me continue my current rate plan at the current pricing, with half the minutes. How nice of them! At this rate, they are increasing my bill by 40% yearly. This was not a promotional rate, and I have only been a Vonage customer for 6 months. I'm not hanging around to find out what's next. Porting my number to VOIPo. I'll let you know how it goes. Bye, Bye, Vonage, don't let the door hit 'cha...

12/7/10 - New to voip, just disconnected my landline for the first time ever (sniff, sniff), and I couldn't be happier. Low usage plan for $10 a month, no contract term, no up front costs, the number was ported right away. There were a few dropped calls at first, but a little tweaking of my firewall seems to have cleared that up. Tech support is worthless unless you're from India, as they do not understand American English. I'll update in a few months.

Comments:
Hackster3
Hackster3

join:2002-05-07
Richmond Hill, NY

Vonage, saves me $115 per month!

Wow, thats' too bad! I dropped my normal carrier which is Verizon. They were charging me $150.00 per month, and Vonage charged me $34.99 per month 4 yrs. ago and it hasn't changed!! That's including long distance, nights! I love 'em!

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Re: Vonage, saves me $115 per month!

I've been very happy with VOIPo. I get unlimited calling verses 300 minutes with Vonage, plus an hour of international calling at no charge, and it's less than half what Vonage wanted, taxes and all, about $6.50 per month. Can't beat it!
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Review by jpsmith See Profile

• Location: Newberg,Yamhill,OR
Good "Great price, quick install, decent customer service"
Bad "Rebate issue (still working on getting it) - 100% resolved. Nothing bad to report at this time."
Overall "Everythings been running great since the day I installed it"

*** Update 6/30/06 ***

Got my rebate a few days ago. I was expecting to have to wait another 3-4 months to get it, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the check in my mailbox. I can say I'm pleased with the way they handled this. Definitely handled better than some rebates I've had to deal with and some that I have read about.

*** Original ***

I bought and install my PAP2 on 1/6/06. This was during the New Year's Resolution $100 rebate. The store I bought from didn't give me a form to send in, just a flyer stating the rebate period. I signed up and the web site didn't say anything about sending in a form, just buy a device, sign up, and they send a check. I've finally gotten around to checking on the rebate and Vonage said go get a form from the store and send it to a resubmit address and they'll process it. I sent it today, so we'll see. May have to change some of the values if this doesn't go through. I used e-mail to contact them on this and they answered back within 30 minutes after I sent the messages. It took an extra message to get the address for resubmitting the forms.

Other than this "problem" (not a deciding factor, but nice), I've not had any problems with the phone not working. E911 is said to be working on my line after about a month without. Just sent a fax with no problems or changes to any setting on the phone or the fax machine. Quality is just as good as the previous land line.

Got the $14.99 package as we don't make many calls, plus a local number in Quebec for family that lives there to call. This alone saves me at least $20 a month for calls from them (was paying for the calling card they used), and now they call everyday instead of just a few times a month. The most we've used in a month is around 300 minutes, so the 500 minutes is plenty. We average maybe 100 outgoing minutes a month.

member for 15.1 years, 2789 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by King P See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Williamson,TN
Good "Great service for great price"
Bad "tech support takes too long"
Overall "This is a really solid service"

March 2011:

After 6 good years with Vonage, I finally cancelled the service. The price for my service was originally 24.99/month for their unlimited calling package. The service was great, but I just decided it wasn't necessary any longer, as my wife and I both have unlimited cell phone plans.

If Vonage is still around, we may sign back up in the future.

2005

I absolutely love my Vonage service. I'm so glad that I signed up for it. For the exact same price, I could only make Local calls, and have a caller ID from BellSouth. I enjoyed the BellSouth service, but it was time to spend my money elsewhere and get more bang for my buck. I signed up as a referral from a friend who has Vonage, so I got one month of service for free. I signed up for the Premium Unlimited plan and it is one of the best plans I have ever had.

The price to set up for the first month was 68 dollars (1st month of service, activation, shipping). That was kind of rough, but it was worth it.

I also have signed up for Speakeasy OneLink DSL to use with my Vonage service. Finally I'll be able to break free from BS!

February 2006:

I have been using Vonage for over 6 months now, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the service. I have had a few problems lately (we couldn't call some local numbers for about 7 days), but they have been resolved (it was a Telco switch issue, NOT Vonage.) I really love VoIP and I really like my Vonage service.

I recently added a fax line for 9.99 a month, and have been pleased with it as well. VoIP is a great technology and will be the death of the Telco (if they don't wise up).

I also traffic shape my network with my VoIP router getting top priority, so I never have choppy audio. The call quality is excellent and unbeatable.

November 2006:

It's been well over a year now since I've been using Vonage and I decided to call up and cancel my service today. I wanted to cancel due to the price increasing (mainly the Gov't fees that are tacked on) not due to unreliable service or anything, because my service has been great! To make a long story short I called up to cancel and they gave me two free months for both my Voice and Fax line and gave me the Unlimited Plan for 19.99/month. This made me very happy and I decided to stay.

Comments:

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "The cost, at least initially."
Bad "Customer service, lousy phone adapter, tech support weak."
Overall "Find something else."

Signed up April 2005. Many outages, necessary to reboot adapter often. Poor phone quality, echoes, choppy audio. Tech support usually outsourced, like everyone else they all want you to follow along with their script and test, test, test. They need to realize that folks don't habitually change jacks and locations like socks.

The price has been going up; I dropped Verizon because of that. It is still cheaper than a POTS line.

I got tired of rebooting the adapter 4 times a day, so they sent another RT31P2 "refurbished". It was OK for a couple of days. They don't want to send me the Motorola unit that my friend was able to get because mine is "out of warranty". I say so what, since it is needed for the service. I am very, very close to just dumping them, because I cannot trust or justify their "service". I have had to reboot the adapter at least 6 times over the last 3 days - no good.

BTW, my friend's modem is also out of warranty. Perhaps they don't want to send a new modem because I am month to month. Silly, because on Monday I am going with the cheaper Verizon Voice Wing.

VoiceWing is installed, LNP LOA is ready - bye, bye Vonage!

10/27/07 - Number transfer is complete, Vonage adapter removed. Funny, every time I pick the phone up now, there is a dial tone! I can make and receive calls! It is cheaper than Vonage. Why didn't I drop those incompetent boobs months ago?

11/15/07 - After several calls to cancel, I finally get through. I am not taking a day off work for that, and the hold times were very long. Of course, the "Account Manager" "Sheila" was very condescending, a liar and trying to say that I wouldn't have phone service if the disconnect was performed. What a joke. I haven't had the Vonage adapter connected for a month or more. How very interesting that she asked me why I cancelled the Motorola router I requested - especially since it said right on the screen that I had cancelled the third Linksys reconditioned router. Good riddance!

9/21/08 - After not having Vonage in almost a year, I don't miss it. Cell phone calls still have better quality, and now we have 1 bill and four phones (Verizon VoiceWing was a bust as well). Lower price, better mobility. What is not to like?

02/24/12 - We have VoIP at work, and it works much better than it ever did in my home - but I am not going to switch back to Vonage. FiOS and Comcast are better, with FiOS being the most reliable.

member for 11.6 years, 1693 visits, last login: a few hours ago