Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by arshad14 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Best bang for the buck"
Bad "Fax service is very unreliable even after adjusting some settings by Vonage Tech"
Overall "Gotta love a what you get for the price"

·Start Communicat..
Feb 14, 2012

I have been with Vonage US for the last 9 years and absolutely love it! I have the Unlimited Canada & US service for $19.99 along with a Virtual Canadian Number for $4.99. In Canada, not even Vonage Canada can offer a service at such a price. I would highly recommend this service to anyone. It includes all the features you can think of. The only thing that doesn't work too well, which is the same with any VoIP provider is Fax. Tech tried to make it work but was not successful.

Comments:
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

vonage voip

was vonage cust for years dumped them and their high prices for voip.ms 1/10 price of vonage

Review by Carbon Unit See Profile

• Location: Saint Charles,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Extremly cheap"
Bad "none"
Overall "save yourself alot of cash over Ma Bell"

I have had Vonage for about 3 months now, all call come in loud and clear, I dont use my home line much, mostly me cell phone wich is great, i would have had to pay $50-80 for similar service with SWB

update, 5 years later, it still works great and I have probably saved thousands of dollars over using the old phone company

update; now using ooma, much better service and it actually works with my phone, voice quality is pretty good, blacklisting is a nice feature

Comments:

Review by dellsweig See Profile

• Location: Campbell Hall,Orange,NY
Good "Features, Price, Service, Price, VoIp Experience"
Overall "Great"

Price - cheaper than the cable VoiP offerings with more features. Not as cheap as a couple of the bargin outfits there but the features and reliability outwiegh the price on these.

reliable - I have been a Vonage customer (2 lines) for over 9 years now - over that time I can only think of one outage. VERY few issues over the years with Vonage specifically - I can say the majority of issues are ISP related or home router (QoS) related.

Features - unlimited calling to US, Canada, PR and 60 coutries for 24$ HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT.

iPhone - I can call to my ENTIRE vonage world from my iPhone WITHOUT using any carrier minutes using the free Vonage iPhone app - all included in my 24$ Vonage plan. I have an app for my iPhone that lets me setup simulring from my home number to my iPhone at the touch of a button. My vonage number is in my ATT calling circle so there is no charge on my cell for these calls.

Service: I have never had a problem with service. When my old Cisco ATA's (origional Vonage adapter) seemed to be getting old - I was upgraded at no charge, seamlessly to newer technology. The few times I have had to call support I had positive experience with support

Note: for those who continually complain about the taxes and fees charged by vonage - look at your cell bill or cable bill or electric bill

One more note: My entire cost for Vonage for a year is only a little more than ONE months cell bill - think about that!!!

Vonage is worth EVERY penny

Comments:

Review by shawn744 See Profile

• Location: Saddle River,Bergen,NJ
Good "GREAT CALL QUALITY, GREAT FEATURES, PORTABLE"
Bad "7 years later, getting to be expensive...."
Overall "Can do better with a triple play or MUCH better with a magic jack..."

UPDATE: Okayyy, 7 years after my inital reviews, lots have changed. The once $14/mo plan that I was on with 500 minutes a month has changed to a mandatory unlimited $30/mo plan. Now being the same cost (if not more) than your cable company's triple play bundle. Ended up canceling two weeks ago for said triple play. Call quality and service was always superb. It was a good run. If I ever need voice service again, Vonage is where i'll go. **HINT** Too late for me now since I've signed a triple play agreement with my cable company but, if you're unhappy with your vonage costs, call and tell them you're canceling, and they'll offer you a $9.95/mo unlimited plan for LIFE! They really don't want to lose customers. Too bad I had already ported out my phone number. :-/ Cheers.

UPDATE: 8/3/05: My VONAGE service is still excellent! Only problem i have is that after i repositioned my Motorola MTA box after the router, i would get service interuptions which required a reboot of the box due to the box position.....this is an obvious flaw of the motorola box. I had to re-position the box to be before my router for smoother service. I'd still recommend VONAGE over any of the other VOIP providers.

UPDATE 12/26/04:

I just positioned my Motorola MTA box after the router. Now I have 100% of my bandwidth from my cable provider. And have amazing call quality while my broadband connection is maxed out.

I subscribed to VONAGE 3 months ago and I have to say that it's really amazing. First I was nervous because people were saying it's still in the developmental phase....but when I got it, I realized that it was better than my regular Verizon phone service.

Shipped to me in ONE day!

Never had ANY outages, call quality stay crisp and clear....no one ever says that I sound far away, or weird like I'm on speakerphone.

Only thing is, if you have the Motorola ATA box, and if you wire it in BEFORE any computers, DOWNLOAD speed gets cut in half....I'm on the way to changing the location of the Vonage box on the network to regain my lost bandwidth....I'D DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS SERVICE TO ANYONE!

Comments:

Review by AbleinTruth See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "NOT anything... ZILCH!"
Bad "EVERYTHING... where do I begin??? It has been a HORROR SHOW. Oh my GOD!"
Overall "NIGHTMARE from HELL!"

Events and TIMELINE

2003 became their VoIP customer; entered into Vonage's beta program; was DISASTROUS! Jumped out after three mos. and went with AT&T CallVantage. The BEST VoIP service... ever!

Left AT&T CallVantage service because they didn't allow their boxes to be used internationally; wept when I had to leave that premiere quality service (technically) company; they were AWESOME! YES, they were!

12/2006 - Went to VYL Media... very poor technology and a HORRIFIC owner name Denis Smith. Signed up with them in December of 2006 and left them in March/April 2009. Too many technical inefficiencies and the owner Denis made it WORSE because he got tired of all my technical issues so he canceled my account! So much for Customer Service.

2009 back to VONAGE because of all the promotions, FREE this,,, FREE that and thinking they must have improved; they did NOT ... they have gotten WORSE!

1.) Call-Waiting does not work; it has NEVER worked for me!!!

2.) They route calls to the wrong phone numbers or dead-end the calls with a recording that says number is disconnected or non-working; can you imagine? NIGHTMARE!!!

3.) They removed benefits... i.e., countries from your plan and you only realize that they have done so when you see the bill and countries that were suppose to be included in the monthly are not any longer; yet they keep expecting you to pay until you catch them! DECEPTIVE!

4.) Their device box for connecting to the Internet is plagued with problems; oh God what what else can one suffer from one company and have to stay in the name of a contract? PEOPLE, do NOT sign contracts...do NOT!!!

5.) They refuse to give refunds or lower the rate for their technically treacherous service. ZERO INTEGRITY!

6.) They charge anywhere from $18 -$25.00 in taxes and surcharges. For what??? ...STEALING!

7.) They, by their own incompetency impede ones ability to leave their company because they FORCE you to sign their crummy contract and then disconnect prematurely before you have a chance to secure your phone numbers with another provider! GROSSLY corrupted!

NO, for God sake do NOT use this company! It is the company from HELL! Oh man it has been the HORROR SHOW!

Comments:

Review by connor79 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Nothing, steer far away!"
Bad "Awful customer service that lies"
Overall "Far better providers out there, never go with Vonage"

This is an older review but my friend just told me they had issues with Vonage and it reminded me of my situation a couple years ago so I thought I'd post a review. I'm in Toronto and a few years ago I had Vonage for over a year, no problems but cancelled then I moved. We moved into a new house which Bell hadn't installed phone lines to yet so when we called to order a line (as this was in the Winter) they said they couldn't until the spring. I then decided to get Vonage in the mean time. So I call their toll free and explained I was thinking of coming back. The person I spoke with would not stop going on about how they're so happy to have me back and have great deals for me etc. She told me I'd get my first 30 days free and that I could cancel any time I wanted within 30 days if I was unhappy. Every other sentence from her was "we are so happy to have you back we are going to do this for you and that for you." At the end of the call she made me answer a series of yes or no questions which I pretty much had to say yes to, such as I understand 911 works differently etc. She also told me the service "activates" when I connect the voip gateway to the Internet.

Anyway a couple weeks go by and I have no phone. FINALLY Canada Post delivers the Vonage modem to me as it turns out she entered my postal code wrong even though we verified it a few times. The problem was, a day before it arrived Bell showed up and installed my new line and hung the lines over the posts down the street and said its temporary and they would bury it in the spring. So great I thought I don't need Vonage. At this time I was going on vacation for a week so I left.

A week later I get back, this is now 3 weeks after I signed up for Vonage and had not even opened the box they sent me. I call in to cancel because I no longer need it. This is where all the fun begins. First the person I speak with says I might as well keep the service because the fees they are going to charge me to cancel are more expensive than a years worth of service! He tried to tell me I'm on a 1 year contract which I also never agreed to or was told about. I was blown away, I told them they said I could cancel within 30 days and they said no that that is not their policy! I told them the box isn't even open and the other girl told me it activates only when I connect it and he also said that was wrong. He said no one would ever tell me that!

I was furious as he then said it was something like $150 for the modem, plus $25 for the shipping plus a $200 cancellation fee. I can't remember the exact amounts but it was close to $400. I demanded to speak to a manager at this point. Actually "demanded" sounds harsh as at this point in time I was a customer service manager at IBM so I know to stay calm and how to deal with people.

After being on hold a good 15 minutes, someone comes on saying how can I help you? I ask him if the previous rep explained my situation to him and I'm not even kidding, his words were "Yes, they explained that you want to cancel and that you expect to not pay any termination fees which you certainly will be!" I couldn't believe it! I went through the same scenario with him explaining they said 30 days to cancel etc etc. He said that isn't their policy and that it's all on their website. I said the rep never told me to go to their site to check anything and he said they don't have to, it's my responsibility as a customer to go to a company's website and find these things out on my own!!! I then asked for his full name, address and the name of the President for Vonage which he refused to give me. He told me they will not be waiving the cancel charges because their system can't do that! He said it's impossible so I might as well just pay. I couldn't even believe it, it was like talking to a 16 year old child. I've had bad customer service experiences but this is still at the top of my list. The worst part was I had all my calls recorded, so I had proof that the rep never explained any of this, and that she told me it was free for 30 days and could cancel, but of course I didn't have her permission to record it so it was useless. I recorded the call just for myself, in case I miss a user name or something important, not for any other reason. So I knew 100% I wasn't crazy that they never told me any of this.

Anyway they send me a bill for the $400 that I owe. I then tried to file a complaint with the BBB and couldn't as they advised me they no longer accept complaints from Vonage as they have such a negative rating! I then opened a dispute with the CCTS and had my lawyer send them a letter. That was 2 years ago and I've never heard from them since. I can't tell you enough times to stay far away from Vonage. IF anyone remembers the old days of AOL and trying to cancel that, they've got nothing on Vonage!

• Location: Sebring,Highlands,FL
Good "good plan to put customer at ease while expanding rip-off"
Bad "inaccurate and expensive misinformation provided"
Overall "will not ever use and wil not ever recommend. WILL relate my experience."

To Whom It May Concern,

I don't expect this review to see the light of day, but it will be therapeutic for me to write it anyway.  I just got off the phone with Vonage Customer Service, specifically a representative named Mike ID #52625, and am feeling ripped off and deceived.  I called Vonage on

Oct. 22 to have my service cancelled.  I was told that cancellations can only be done within a few days of the billing date, and to call back on

or before that date to have my service disconnected.  I was further told that the rep would try and get my charges for the month of October refunded to me as well.  I was advised at that time that my billing date was the 9th of the month, and that if I called the 6th, 7th or 8th, this cou

ld all be handled expeditiously.  I called today, the 9th, and was told that the charge had been billed on the 8th and could not be reversed or refunded until I wrote a letter to the Vonage Billing Dept. in Holmdel, NJ, requesting the reversal of charges.  I have written the letter, will send it off registered mail today, and fully expect to hear that I acted too late and no refund will be given, even though the refund remark is also contained in the record Vonage has on file.  In my opinion, I have been played for a fool by this company, given inaccurate information, and will not receive so much as a thanks for your contribution from Vonage.

All this and I haven't even taken the equipment out of the box, never initiated service at any level, and will be out over $100 by the time this all

winds up.  I have read many reviews of Vonage service, and they all contain an anecdote about a problem the customer has had with Vonage, although in most cases, these issues eventually get resolved at some point.

I would warn anyone dealing with this company that they stretch the letter of the law to an absurd length and comply only when they are in danger of

legal consequences.  Caveat emptor-Vonage will make you jump through their hoops, so prepare yourself for the exercise.

(review was emailed from domain dataset-inc.com)

Comments:

Review by RCush See Profile

• Location: Huntersville,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Easy to order on-line and arrives within a few days ready to use."
Bad "Appears it is taking down my Cable Modem multiple times a day"
Overall "Works as good as my AT&T POTS service for less than 1/4 the price."

We had Bellsouth/AT&T for the last 17 years and just changed to Time Warner with Vonage to reduce our monthly fees. The Vonage on-line ordering was weak and didn't support termination of dual services DSL/Telephone. The existing number was moved/ported on schedule to Vonage (Thanks AT&T). Prior to the porting of the number, we just call forwarded the number with the phone company to the temp Vonage number. A few days later, AT&T sent a postcard asking about the disconnect and to call them. We called to confirm both DSL and Telephone service was to be disconnected and they confirmed the disconnect would reflect the date Vonage took the number. We also had to upgrade our home security to wireless b/c ADT doesn't support using Vonage. Just signed another contract and the wireless upgrade was free. Beware that with the basic Vonage contract, your outbound calls are limited. Five hours adds up quick, so I suggest you use the web portal to monitor your usage.

• Location: Ogdensburg,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Cheap, Easy Install"
Bad "Customer Support in which english is second language, Poor Quality"
Overall "Easy to switch, not so easy to switch back"

I have had Vonage for about 5 months. Initial sales call was from someone
with the US. The service was great for about a month and the price was even
better. This is when the problems started. We had 4 lines with Vonage.
Calls started to not work and began forwarding to the backup constantly.
Our internet is solid and have never had any problems with it (I run
monitoring tools). The problem was clearly with them and the support calls
all placed to Dave (Hard to understand language barrier), Daniel (Hard to
understand language barrier) and Stephanie (Hard to understand language
barrier) were unsuccessful. Don't ever let your business depend on them.
Unless you get mad on the phone (which I hardly do) they say they will
resolve the issue in 24 HOURS! They will never call and eventually in about
2 days the issue will be fixed after many other follow up calls. I was
skeptical about all the negative reviews since they where from 2005-2007.
Unfortunately the service is still unusable. 1 Star

(review was emailed from domain fraryfuneralhome.com)

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: West Hollywood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Works Well....Great price over AT&T....Easy To Install....Good Tech Support"
Bad "Sales Dept Misleads You....Hard To Connect To More Than One Phone.....They Disconnect Your Old Line Before You Receive Harwdware"
Overall "Good Service For the Price......Don't Trust Sales Dept"

·CableOne
I ordered Vonage on May 27th of 2008 and gave them permission to disconnect my old service. However, they disconnected my old service on June 2nd and I did not receive their hardware to connect Vonage until June 4th, so I had 2 days without home phone service. When I called the Sales Dept to order Vonage, I told them that I had 3 phones in 3 different rooms and asked them if it would work with all 3 phones. They said that if it didn't, they would send out a technician free of charge to correct any problem so that all 3 phones would work. I received the hardware late in the day on June 4th and immediately hooked it up using their easy to follow setup guide. My Internet stopped working and the phone that I hard-wired to the Vonage hardware did not work either.

I called Tech support and told a Rep my problem. I have a Linksys WRT54GL Router, and the Rep told me that they have a problem hooking up Vonage with this type router, for it was not a usual router (that's strange, for this is a pretty common router). The Rep told me that I had to hook it up different from the instructions, and when I did, it worked. My Internet worked, however, only one of the phones worked, the one that was hard-wired to the router. When I complained about this to the Rep, he told me how to hook it up by bypassing that phone, and that would make the other 2 phones work. I did that, and my other 2 phones did work. However, the phone that was hard-wired to the Vonage hardware did not work, for I had to by-pass it. The Rep told me that I would have to have another wall jack to plug that phone in to for it to work. I then told him what the Sales Dept told me, that if all 3 phones did not work, they would send out a Technician free of charge to correct the problem. He said that the problem could not be corrected. When I pressed him, he talked to his Supervisor and came back and told me that it would work if I had a phone line splitter to hook it up to. I told him that I did not have one, and told him what the Sales Dept had promised me. He told me that I was misinformed (I believe that it was a deceptive sales technique to get you to sign up), and that there was not a technician who would come out and either install another phone jack or bring a splitter. We went back-and-forth with this issue for a while and I decided to make things easier by just going out and purchasing a splitter and 2 more phone lines so that the phone would work. That was yesterday, and I have not been able to purchase one yet. The concept is correct, so it should work when I get one.

I would just warn everyone that when talking with their sales department, you should press them very hard as to your existing phone equipment and how many phone jacks you have. If you feel it necessary, try to get something in writing from them to make sure that you do not have to go through what I did. If you have just one phone, or have more than one and have many phone jacks, you should be fine. The 2 phones that are working currently seem to work fine. I'll update this review once I purchase the splitter and additional phone lines.

One more thing....Vonage had my previous phone provider turn off my service 2 1/2 days before I received the Vonage hardware, so I had 2 1/2 days of no phone service. I just got off the phone with billing and complained of this. The first Rep hung up on me (nice of her), but I called again and the 2nd Rep was nice and reimbursed me my $9.95 for the shipping charge for the hardware. I am not racist at all, and love all people, but I feel that US companies should have all of their customer support located in the US. We have a different culture here, and it makes things a lot easier.

UPDATE--7/11/08 Vonage has been working so well that I got rid of AT&Trash altogether and put Vonage on my second line. This only took one phone call and a matter of minutes. It works great!

UPDATE--10/01/08 My Vonage device went bad, and Vonage Tech Support tried their best to blame my problems I was having with my voicemail not working on either my phone or my line. He also complained to me that he was working overtime troubleshooting my problem and he wanted to go home (like I cared....he chose to work there, so why is complaining about his job to me?). Finally, he succumbed, and reluctantly agreed to send me a new Vonage device. He did say that I would have to pay for shipping back my old device. I didn't think that I should have to pay for this, since it was still under warranty, so I called back Customer Service and the person I spoke with was very nice and he told me he would mail me out a prepaid label to send the bad device back with. However, I never received it. So I finally called back and spoke with a rep who hung up on me when I told her the problem since it seemed that she was not too bright and didn't know what to do. I called back again and spoke with a Supervisor and told him what happened. He told me he would email me a prepaid label. I never got that one either. Finally, I called back and spoke with another Supervisor and she was very helpful and told me not to bother sending back the bad device and that when I was charged for it she would credit my account for the charge. With all that I have been going through to get a prepaid label, I have little confidence that she will follow through and give me a credit. I hope she does, otherwise I have to call back again and and explain the whole thing over again. My analysis of Vonage Customer Service and Support is that you can get lucky and get someone who will help you or be unlucky and get someone who will not.

UPDATE--11/19/08 My Vonage voicemail has been working fine since I put in the new Vonage device. I am very happy with Vonage at this time. I hope they stay in business.

UPDATE--05/29/10 Vonage has been working pretty well. I have the occasional call that breaks up or drops, but that's the price you pay to have the less expensive VOIP. Vonage Customer Service and Tech Support, in my opinion, is excellent. They have helped me many times.

UPDATE--9/30/11 I have not had Vonage since 8/10, for I disconnected my service and moved out-of-state. I might have gotten it again, however, they charged me a cancellation fee on a non-existing contract. I finally did get my money back. They keep contacting me and saying that they want me back, however, I doubt it after what they did.

member for 10.1 years, 3262 visits, last login: a few hours ago