Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Sequim,Clallam,WA
Good "worked as well as Qwest did for audio quality."
Bad "Downtime was pretty bad. Cost was quite high compared to other providers."
Overall "To many other competitive services with equal or better quality to deal with the higher cost."

·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband
We at one time had 4 numbers with these guys 10+ years ago. We had server outages at first that lasted pretty much all day. Circa 2009 I started slowly moving lines away from them. Our last line (Primary + fax line) cost 64.xx after taxes monthly. I now pay 1/4 of that for the same number and have better up time.

Vonage business now calls me pretty regularly to gain back my business.

Comments:

jupacual

@76.29.140.x

Do not do vonage

This guys are thieves. Customer service pretty bad and equipment provided is less than garbage.

Review by Raptor7615 See Profile

• Location: Cedar Rapids,Linn,IA
Good "Easy to Install, Decent call quality"
Bad "Unethical, False Advertising, Horrible Customer Service"
Overall "Stay away from this unethical and crooked company"

I order Unlimited Philippines service. Vonage is easy to install and sound quality is good. After two months of use our service was stopped. I called to find out why and they said we were using the service to much. I asked what part of unlimited was too much. Customer service in this department started out out rude and got much worse. The unlimited they advertise is false and they say unlimited to draw you in but its only a ploy as they do have serious limits. My wife and her mom most likely called a lot at the beginning due to there excitement to call back home but it was not excessive. I told the rep that we would lower our useage from now on but she was not listening. One and done. I received no notice and had no warning just disconnected. My advice is to stay away from this unethical and crooked company. There business practices are borderline criminal.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Unfortunate but not unexpected....

This has often been discussed in the VoIP forum here.

So-called "unlimited" plans are essentially flat-rate plans, and:

1) If the company makes a profit on you, then all is good.

2) If the company loses money on you, then you may be kicked out without ceremony.

You don't mention numbers of minutes, I would be curious to hear what the actual usage was. Probably quite high....

cb14

·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com

Re: Unfortunate but not unexpected....

said by PX Eliezer:

Probably. he mentioned it himself. You have a family who suddenly can call for "free' to their home country so in the beginning the consumption is high, when you chat with all the friends and relatives, and he mentioned mother and sister and we all know how it is when women start to chat.
So it was probably 2-3 K minutes , possibly more, but personal use.
It is sad that some companies advertise "unlimited;" without clearly saying what that means.
And off course, there is the issue of due diligence here. There is no reason whatsoever to sigh up for Vonage, in spite of the hundreds of shill generated positive reviews.

california

@charter.com

voyage should be sued for misleading customers

i experienced the same and they were very rude to me to the extent of sending me emails. they should be reported to consumer protection department for viciously misleading clients.

Review by JamesFrost See Profile

• Location: Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "Not much"
Bad "Very dishonest company"
Overall "Would stay as far away from them as possible"

I signed up for their Vonage World – which supposedly came with unlimited calling to USA, Canada and 60 countries.

Then I found out that there are so many lies that they told me – perhaps those lies were buried in the fine print – but one would have to be a lawyer to figure that out. To wit,

a) The plan I signed up for was touted as $26.99 per month, but the actual bill is $39.68 each month. I can understand if the difference is all taxes. But hell no! A lot of it is “fees” that Vonage charges – “intellectual property fee” for example. That is money that goes directly into Vonage’s coffers.

b) It turns out that the so called “unlimited plan” is not unlimited after all. In January, I used 2,781 minutes – a good portion of it international calling. Then they contacted me and told me that my usage was “irregular” and that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs twice as much. When I asked them what part of “unlimited calling plan” did I violate, they refused to identify the specific pattern of calling that triggered it or what I would have to change to be in compliance with their rules. They simply said that my usage does not conform to the “average usage levels and patterns of Vonage World customers”. To this date, I have no idea what that is, and they have refused to tell me. I am at a loss to understand how *I* am supposed to figure out what the average calling pattern of *THEIR USERS* is!!

So basically, I am signed up for an “unlimited calling plan” that really is not unlimited, and they refuse to tell me what the limits are. If they told me that I can use only 3000 minutes – fine, I can understand that. But they wouldn’t say that. They say going over 3000 minutes is not the only thing. And in this case, I had not even gone over 3000 minutes.

I can cite other issues I had with them as well – but I will summarize by saying that Vonage is one of the worst and most dishonest companies – VOIP or otherwise – that I have ever dealt with. I would recommend staying as far away from them as possible.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark

Unlimited plans

This is one criticism of some companies that advertise "unlimited".

But there are better VoIP options available to you than Vonage.
JoeBtfsplk

join:2013-06-09
Los Angeles, CA

Try Voipo

If you are not at all technically inclined, try Voipo (link removed). They supply you with a pre-configured ATA and have a good set of features.

Unwarranted criticism

The "intellectual" fee and the others are NOT peculiar to Vonage; those taxes and fees are mandated by the local, state and Federal government.

If you had read the details about VonageWorld, you would have seen the notation about excessive use (or "unusual use"). Admittedly, they don't provide a specific number of minutes but it IS there. When I contacted them about that last year (I use about 2,000 minutes overseas monthly) they explained it is to prevent businesses from trying to use a personal calling plan.

Vonage is great; I have been a VonageWorld subscriber for 5+ years and am a very happy customer.

Why not just explain your situation about the minutes and perhaps they'll work something out?
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

We all have different perspectives and opinions, so I respect the fact that you are happy with Vonage. I am replying to your post to point out just two things:

1. Your statement that the "intellectual fees" is mandated by government is incorrect. If you search for the topic "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee" on Vonage site, they say, and I am quoting "The RCIP fee is not a government-mandated fee. It is a Vonage fee used to specifically cover some of the costs associated with...". RCIP being "Regulatory, Compliance, and Intellectual Property Fee".

2. Regarding your suggestion about contacting Vonage for getting clarity on what I can do and what I cannot - that is exactly what I did, but they wouldn't tell me the details. If they told me that I can use no more than 2,000 minutes even though it is called unlimited, I wouldn't have any problem with that. It is the fact that they are not willing to tell me what the thresholds are that I am at a loss to comprehend. Instead they want me to be like their "average user" - but I am not privy to what the average user should do. Strange!

Re: Unwarranted criticism

My bad on the Intellectual Property fee. I swore I saw it with another phone provider or two .... which proves swearing isn't good. Apologies !!
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Unwarranted criticism

Here you go: »www.vonage.com/reasonable-use-policy?

It doesn't give a hard number there any longer but the number has and always will be 3,000.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

2 recommendations

Vonage has in their TOS that 3000 is the limit. Even Vonage Business has the same limit.
JamesFrost

join:2014-03-12
Greenwich, CT

Re: Unwarranted criticism

To quote President Obama (*), "I wish things were that ruthlessly efficient"!

In January 2014, I used less than 3,000 minutes - 2,781, to be exact. Vonage contacted me immediately thereafter and indicated that they would have to bump me up to a plan that costs $49.99 per month (plus taxes and fees). I am guessing that in Vonage-speak that means about $80 to $90 per month.

I am quoting verbatim some of the sentences from their e-mail, none of them taken out of context.

1. "Please know that there are no limitations on minutes"

2. "We would need to see your calling patterns stay within the normal residential guidelines".

I would have posted the entire letter but for its length. Yep, they use a lot of words, but never clearly stated what the restrictions on the "unlimited minutes" usage are. The tone is quite rude too.

So I respectfully submit that 3,000 is NOT the limit - based on my experience.

(*) President Obama when commenting about the Netflix show "House of Cards"

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
It's been like this for a while I had the service once. when they went to capped usage I fled and went to cell phone and google voice. Been using it ever since.

Review by realmike4him See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (5 month contract)
Bad "The Worst Customer Service."
Overall "Epic Fail (almost 5 months to achieve total failure-read on)"

I sent this email to vonage after months of trying to simply transfer 3 phone lines,after dealing with over a dozen different techs(who only seemed to know 1 thing-Pass the ball !!!) Fed up, I sent this email which got a response from the Executive Response Team , apparently only nasty responses get attention ! Here's the email I sent -" you (VONAGE) really totally suck, I mean how many months to try to do a number transfer, and fail (EPIC) over & over, and different people every time supposedly trying to help, I'm surprised you haven't run out of people who don't mind at all to leave every thing to your high tech system that should be re named GLITCH !!! Not a single person willing to go against the system & simply take the ball & run with it, something they used to do in a bye-gone era called customer service, something apparently your company doesn't know the meaning of."

The executives also passed me down the line, bottom line- almost 5 months over 80 emails ,over 12 different reps,they couldn't set up & transfer 3 lines. I would not recommend anyone use this company because if you have a problem you're on your own. Yes there is a reason why they are so cheap!

Comments:

FureverFurry
·Vonage

Vonage is great - don't despair

I've been with Vonage for well over 4 years and am 100% IMPRESSED with their technical and customer service. Really shocked you were treated like that.

I presume you mean you were/are trying to transfer 3 lines TO Vonage ? If so, it's up to the originating telephone provider to release those numbers; a couple (not mentioning names) go above and beyond to NOT allow the transfer.

Try again or post on their FB page. I've always received 100% spot on replies to emails (none of the canned hooha). Some agents are outsourced but they DO understand their product.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sorry to hear...

...about your troubles. I, too, have been with Vonage for a long time, coming up 7 years! The few times that I've called them for support has been very good. I even got their new Vonage Box for free when my older Vonage adapter (made by Linksys) was not working.

--->Robert
8-)
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

Review by Scilicet See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "Good to stay away from. Look elsewhere."
Bad "Terrible tech support"
Overall "Doesn't 'Sound Good.' There are better services available."

No longer a customer due to unresolved technical problems. Supported features have not kept up with the industry standards nor customer demand. Has become excessively expensive. I cannot recommend Vonage. If Vonage was as good as they claim to be, they wouldn't have to advertise on TV during almost every commercial slot; their service would sell by word of mouth. The supplied Digital Adapter (ATA) is so cheap that they don't want it back when you cancel. "Sounds good?" Not for me. Now using »www.itpvoip.com/ without problems and an increase in features. Vonage has become the GEICO of telephone service.

member for 9.6 years, 1992 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by massis See Profile

• Location: West Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheaper than regular landlines."
Bad "Mediocre service, and worst customer service."
Overall "There are many other providers that charge less for the same service."

Be careful with Vonage, they will any trick to prevent you from switching your service. I've been trying to port my phone number from Vonage to Ooma for over 2 months now. Vonage keeps rejecting the port request with for erroneous reasons. Meanwhile, I am forced to pay Vonage to keep my service active as they keep rejecting the port request.

I've called them several times to resolve the number porting rejections. Each time I get a totally different explanation. The last time I called, they told me that Ooma must be rejecting my port request. They also told me that they have no record me my previous service calls, and they have no means of tracking any port request rejections.

I have repeatedly asked service reps to have a manager call me. I haven't received a single callback yet.

Comments:

sefuski

@rr.com

Cancellation - Crazy Generous - You Wish - Stay Away!

Having been a Vonage customer for almost 8 straight years, I decided to cancel the service. Primarily because there are other VoIP services out there equally good, if not better, such as MagicJack. And whose customer service does not suck brilliantly, like Vonage's.

Vonage has a tag line - Crazy Generous. Their customer service is crazy for sure. And generous they are not, by any standards.

There is no option online to cancel your account. You are billed in advance. And you have to work with "customer no service", who tries to trick you into signing up for something you dont want.

My billing cycle ended y'day. And when I called in today to cancel, they had already billed me for the following month and were unwilling to refund anything whatsover. I was a loyal customer for 8 straight years, and I hardly used their service at all. The customer service representative had no communication skills whatsoever... talking to someone else while I was on the line every other minute.

It was downright pathetic that they were unable to cancel my billing the very first day of the billing cycle. And then to top it all their tag line "crazy generous" adds to the pun.

Recommendation: Stay away and go with MagicJack!
Expand your moderator at work

Penni620

@verizon.net

Re: Cancellation - Crazy Generous - You Wish - Stay Away!

That is exactly what happened to me!!

STAY AWAY!!! I tried to cancel and they talked me into another service that I didn't want. They quoted me $9.99 per month however, with taxes and surcharges, the monthly charge was actually $16.95. When I called back to cancel again I asked for a credit for the couple of months I had paid with no usage and they denied the request.

Their customer service is the worst. They don't want to help out the customer at all. They're only interested in getting your money. Customer "No" Service is right!!!

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Fair Service, support Pretty Good ???"
Bad "Over Priced"
Overall "Dropped Vontage, went to a GO Phone"

·Cox HSI
I had ATT. for about 6 years , got tired of them, always took to long to talk to a PERSON.. Time for a change . So I went with Vonage, Just have had the service about 60 days so far, & Very Happy I made the move so far,.. I like the cost, and the extras you get, a lot more for free, that you have to pay for with a land line , so far I really like the service, Tech support has been a lot better too. & there cheaper too.. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update...7/2/08... Vonage..Rocks.. Very Happy with the service.... Glad I made the move to Voip. 2/1/09.. And Vonage is still giving me pretty good service.. Think I'll stick with them.. 8-25-09... Dropped Vonage..Thay are getting to expensive . so I got me a Go Phone & run on it & Magic Jack this is workin pretty good for me,, I'm not on the phone that much.. so now my phone bill is running about 120 bucks a year...(; Happy-Happy

Comments:

Review by rsriram22 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "best call quality.zero downtime in last 6+ yrs"
Bad "escalating per month costs over a period of time"
Overall "easy to install (plug-n-play). not so much woth for money IMO"

been a happy customer of vonage for the last 6+ years. great service; zero downtime. no complaints. have been using the same VOIP adapter since i subscribed to them long ago. (linksys RT32P1)..

only reason for me to take my service elsewhere (read:Callcentric) is due to the per-month cost. I figured out that for my usage, Callcentric+obi will do the job.

vonage otherwise is just awesome!

member for 8.2 years, 299 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by frogli6 See Profile

• Location: Yaphank,Suffolk,NY
Good "GREAT SERVICE CALLS VERY CLEAR"
Bad "NONE"

Price went up to much. Got the triple play from cablevision. Bye bye vonage.

LETS JUST SAY IT IS GREAT... ORDER IT NOW DOWN WITH THE BELLS

6/30/04 it has been the best. tech support is great. I have e-mailed them and called them and both times they have reponded in minutes..... I LOVE THIS SERVICE. Never going back to Verizon Or Optimumvoice(cablevision)

11/30/04

Well I had to call 911 the other day for my son. He had trouble breathing. I called and they ask the address and with in 3 seconds I had the local fire department on the line asking me questions. It worked perfect. You just have to give your address to them. I had a Suffolk county cop at my door in less then 3 minutes from when I called 911. Very happy with the service after over a year. tech support has gone down but still better then Verizon.

p.s. My son is fine

5/12/05

After over a year with Vonage I have now ordered SUNROCKET. I was happy with Vonage till my wife told me we were getting dropped calls and i tried to call tech support. Well the process so far to order is easy lets see how many days it takes for the gizmo. STILL NOT GOING BACK TO VERIZON

member for 11.1 years, 166 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by CMAdvocate See Profile

• Location: Fresh Meadows,Queens,NY
Good "Reduce cost & simple setup"
Bad "Drop calls frequent one way connections (either they can hear you or you can hear them) Poor problem resolution Poor call qualit"
Overall "Not ready for main street."

BUYER BEWARE!

My experience with Vonage has been less than stellar. In the three years which I have had the service I have had numerous outages. At each outage I have called and have been routed from uninitiated initial techs to techs that say, “yes I see your problem” but aside from the reboot/reset of the system can provide no additional support. Escalating to the next level tech begins a patch work process of going to third party sites and checking QOS, Ping test (speedtest.net), mycooltools.com. They have had me modify my setup on two occasions which led to temporary consistent service but back to dropped calls, not hearing call parties or them not hearing me.

Three months ago I was walked through the process of putting the device on a DMZ of my network. Three months after this change I have I experienced a half day outage. While Vonage in their Terms of Service do not provide a Qos criterion, the FAQ does say they provide service comparable to Mobile/home phone. In my experience the service they provide is in no way comparable to these services. At the end of the day, I just want a phone that works. Vonage does not provide this for my business.

Finally, being in a contract which I’m forced to remain on the network is even more of an impediment to moving to another service.

I would suggest to anyone who needs a phone for consistent on demand service choose a different solution.

Advocate

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

just some tips...

If you decide that you want landline, and want say a not so expensive long distance provider try checking locally. For my area (granite city, IL) there is unitel and pioneer telephone.

Again land line based services (I use unitel and like it). I also do most of my long distance calling with google voice click to call. That one is free no matter where you dial. I actually keep an old iphone 3g in the house for just that purpose. pick it up, dial my number, have it call my house and it rings the other end. The best digital line operator a family guy can have!
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!