VoicePulse for Business & Wholesale page on DSLReports

• Location: Pleasanton,Alameda,CA
Good "easy, up quick, good quality"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Recommend them"

I am a new customer with VoicePulse.

Have international dialing, SIP services, and we're going to get 800# =
service.
Our setup is the TrixBox version of Asterisk.
So far everything is rock solid. We use it all day long with
softphones/headsets (mostly) and a few stray Polycom SIP handsets.

Customers love the call quality.

Can't say I know if this is the best priced or not, but
a telephony expert (Urizel Communications) recommended VoicePulse
over all others, so I followed their suggestion.
I'm happy with the decision.

(review was emailed from domain pacengr.com)

Comments:

Review by baysoor See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "great service, actual and phone support"
Bad "min $25 recharge Lasts me for long time but service is cheap too"
Overall "no longer a customer"

I am on BYOD PAYG plan so no monthly cost. I have it connected to Asterisk, use it for business, I do not like to lock in $25 pre-paid as they last for long time. Good part is that it is because the rates are cheap. Sound quality is great, I use g.711.

Now they are my backup provider because they have increased their price by 40%.

I moved to voip.ms

Comments:

Review by vmike See Profile

Good "Strong reliability, good customer service"
Overall "Recommend using them"

Have been using Voicepulse for about 6 months. Never had an outage or issue making or receiving calls. Pricing seems to be on-par with others. The upset is good customer service from sales to tech support. They actually seem to care unlike some of the SIP trunk providers (I'll refrain from mentioning names here). The web site is pretty easy to navigate as well.

Comments:

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Asterisk/BYOD, 4 channels, quality, reliability, free 800 outbound, fax works"
Bad "Don't give notice of changes. Inbound, additional DID & channel cost is too high."
Overall "No longer cost effective."

-------update-6-22-2009---------------------

VoicePulse dramatically raised the price on all continental US outgoing calls without notice. This makes their FlexRate program obsolete because no calls will route to VP. No comment to date. I read about the change here on the BBR forum. When I checked my billed calls, I noticed several frequently called numbers jumped from $.009/min to $.019/min after 03/21/2009. These calls could only go VP if their FlexRate pricing still showed these calls as $.009/min or lower. I reached a very smooth talking VP rep that delivered way too many words to tell me some of their rates may have increased and FlexRate changed when pricing changed. In other words, believe what he said and not my lying eyes. I canceled service. Refund was promised within 10 days on that call, in 5 to 6 weeks in the confirmation email, but, I actually received a check within the week.

All in all, a good communications company that handles its own communication poorly.

»[VoicePulse] Flexrate for Connect discontinued?

-------update-4-05-2009---------------------

VP discontinued IAX2 but gave good notice and their SIP works well. No need to contact them this year because everything works.

-------update-4-08-2008---------------------

VP Connect is working well. No problems since signup. VP should be on everyone's short list of VoIP providers.

----------August-2007 ------------------------

I've been testing Voicepulse Connect for outbound calls a little over 2 months now and am favorably impressed. Signup was easy and I immediately received 2 emails. I recall the site says something like they will call within 48 hours to confirm the account but you can call them for a rush. When they didn't call for 5 days, I read the email which asked me to call to confirm. Support answered quickly and my account activated while on the phone. My Trixbox version of Asterisk included a VP setup program. It didn't work. I downloaded the new version from the VP site and it did a complete setup including outbound routes, backup route to 2nd VP server and a security certificate on my server. I think this is a great feature and the only other provider I remember using a certificate is FWD. Everything is working well. I can access the VP web site from within Trixbox. Call quality is great, all functions respond quickly and billing is as expected. Outbound toll free calls are really free, without restrictions and the same quality as other calls. Fax has worked 100% so far.

I should have started using VoicePulse years ago.

*MOnOwall is a major reason for my success with VoIP. If you don't love your router, try it. »m0n0.ch/wall/

Comments:

Review by dgoner See Profile

• Location: Knox,Starke,IN
Good "Strong Asterisk PBX community support"
Bad "rate increases with little notice, fees added with little notice, no 911, no 24 hr tech support"
Overall "Shop around. There are better value's in the pay as you go voip market"

I've been with Voicepulse Wholesale & Business service for a little over a year now. The easy setup with an Asterisk PBX and low per minute pricing with no volume commitment brought me to them. There have been some change in the leadership at Voicepulse and ever since that change rates have risen and now regulatory fees ($ 2.95 per month) were added. USA termination effectively doubled at 1.9 cents per minute. They now require a $ 10 minimum monthly commitment. They seem to be alienating the community they catered to just a short time ago. Since the rate increase I've been pushing my outbound traffic to flowroute.com for .0098 cents per minute.... Yes that's less than a penny a minute.

Comments:

Review by liquidman See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "PBX friendly, low calling fees, good call quality"
Bad "Tech support not 24/7, often long hold times"
Overall "Service is reliable and PBX friendly, service is very economical"

As relatively new business, lowering operating costs is essential to stay in business. I cancelled two POTs lines through bell south and replaced them with 1, four channel line through Voicepulse Connect and connect it to a free Windows based PBX called 3CX. this really helps lower our monthly phone costs, and the VOIP PBX gives greater flexibility to transfer our calls to our a cell phones or to other extensions which we previously could not do because a standard PBX was out of our price range. I will continue to use Voicepulse in the future for all my PBX needs as well as use it for my clients when deploying VOIP PBX's in their offices.

------

8/25/09

Still use Voicepulse for our incoming calls. We now use Voip.ms for outgoing since VP's rates went up. Their quality is still very good and their service seems to have improved.

Comments:

Review by dipswich See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Good reliability, great customer service"
Bad "Not plug&play VoIP, no E911"
Overall "Create your own telephone company"

VoicePulse Connect provides termination and origination for "do it yourself" VoIP. It is compatible with SIP and IAX2 devices, and as such lets you create your own calling features and scale you telephone services with your needs and schedule without paying telco prices. VP Connect is geared toward someone who's willing to "own" their telephone service, and it does require some upfront configuration to get it going. Configuring an adapter isn't too great a task, but I'd say it isn't for the plug&play user who wants to plug in a telephone cord and never think about their service again.

I've been with VoicePulse Connect (»connect.voicepulse.com) for 3 years now. Overall, I've been very happy with this service. In three years, I've only noted a few instances of downtime. And, overall, I've experienced good quality service. The caveat is that I'm a light user, so I'm not stress-testing them.

The one element of the service that I don't like is having to fax back a new agreement every time for account changes, such as credit card updates. It's obnoxious, but I guess necessary for their business security. I'd like to see a history develop between the customer and the company to get this step removed from established accounts.

Getting straight to the ratings--

The web site is very good about providing setup instructions, rates, and FAQs. A top rating.

Understanding up front that there is setup involved, detailed instructions on the website, direct support in popular packages (read Trixbox/Asterisk@Home), and both SIP and IAX2 support, VoicePulse Connect is easy to setup. A top rating.

I took a notch off for call quality, as there is the occasional echo or packet loss dropout. I can't squarely put it on VoicePulse, but it's part of telephony over the Internet. Nonetheless, since it doesn't matter where the problem lies, the quality falls below a T1 circuit.

Similarly, I took a notch off for reliability as well. I don't think any real-time application dependant on the Internet could get a true "5." (Update 10/22/07: I'd give a 4.5 (if offered). For quite some time, I've not experienced any outages. If it keeps up like this, I will likely round up to 5 for the official rating.) (Update 12/29/2007: I'm sticking with a 4. I've been noticing some periods where registration fails every once in a while, sometimes causing incoming calls to not arrive. Dangerously close to swinging the pendulum the other way!)

Tech support goes above and beyond. They follow up tickets with a phone call. If there was a "6" on the scale, I'd give it to them.

As for value, I give 4 of 5 for a couple of reasons. First, the incoming number price at $11/mo. is more than some other other providers. Also, the minimum payment is more than some competitors. The USA outbound price is very competitive although it varies by destination.

Update 12/29/2007: International rates went from crap to beautiful. I'm not international-heavy so it doesn't affect me, but this is a very positive development.

Update 8/4/2008: Still very satisfied. I was able to move to their updated SIP platform without any real problems. I did have an issue setting my outgoing caller ID, and tech support knew the workaround (with my old-but-stable version of Asterisk) within seconds.

Update 7/31/2009: Just works. I haven't had a VoicePulse problem in a while, and they still allow setting the caller-ID value. Everything "5" except value due to the uncompetitive DID rate and absurd rates for failover call routing. Fortunately, the failover service is optional.

Comments:

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Grosse Pointe,Wayne,MI
Good "Prepaid service with asterisk specific software"
Bad "Call quality now so-so; massive rate increase"
Overall "Plays well with asterisk and no junk fees - now over priced"

·callwithus
I learned about VoicePulse Connect from the PBX in a flash provider forums. In mid December they had a special trial available with $2 of free service to try them out. This is the SIP Trunking (Prepaid) service they list under Small & Medium Business on their web site.

Calls to 800 numbers are no charge. There is no 911 service. I still keep a cheap POTS line for various reasons and thus don't want to pay again for 911 service with VOIP providers.

A DID would be $11 month, but I don't need that either since I have my Grand Central DID coming in to a Gizmo5 trunk in addition to my $14 ($20+ after taxes and fees) POTS line and an eVoice Athens Greece DID terminating into my asterisk server.

I had to fill out a form with credit card info, sign it, and fax it in. Unfortunately, there was no fax number on the form or on their website. I sent an email to support and received at least 2 calls to my recorder and an then an email reply. After faxing in the form, I had to call in to be verified. They seem to be very afraid of fraud, but it wasn't really a hassle.

VoicePulse Connect has software to add to asterisk servers that makes installation a no-brainer. Not all their tools work for me, but I was able to turn off the problem module. I sent an email about the problem and got calls the next morning because nonemergency support is only available 9-5 Eastern time. (I would've been happy with an email response.)

They have pairs of primary and backup server entries for the east and west coasts. If the first server is unavailable, the asterisk configuration automatically uses the backup server.

Update 6/20/2009 (6/28 re-edited update & ratings)

Rates increased without notice. Domestic calls went from .007 to .019 and calls to Greece from .017 to .025. Prices are now barely reasonable, but no longer great. Changing without notice is not reasonable. Even worse my wife informs me that calls to Greece have unacceptable quality for last month or so. Have switched international calls to another carrier and will use up existing balance with domestic calls. No more renewals.

Comments:

Review by bodosom See Profile

• Location: Middleport,Niagara,NY
Good "Good prices, LCR support, low latency"
Bad "billing is ambiguous"
Overall "My preferred provider"

VPc ran a half-price promo so I signed up. They require a faxed agreement plus a phone call so startup isn't instantaneous but if you sign up during support hours it's fairly fast. Certain changes also require a new agreement. VPc doesn't have a flat rate so you might want to use Asterisk which can use their call pricing system for least-cost-routing if you have an alternate provider. Their international rates are poor which motivates having at least one other provider. Although they bill in six second increments they round all calls up to the nearest penny. I really like the latency and call quality. My experience with their support has been limited but excellent.

They stopped providing IAX2 in early 2009.

I don't use their DID service. I continue to use Broadvoice.

If you stop using their service it's not clear that you get your unused balance back.

Comments:

Review by kenn10 See Profile

• Location: Kennesaw,Cobb,GA
Good "Pay as you go. Now with inbound caller-ID. Reliable service. Excellent customer support."
Bad "No E911. Newly added failover service is expensive."
Overall "Good, solid provider with a stable, reliable network."

I've ported my most important numbers to Voicepulse Connect because I know they are rock stable and reliable. I use them as my primary carrier but am forced to have another carrier to handle my potential 911 calls.

I've noted that Voicepulse Connect is experimenting with inbound calling name ID and I hope they roll it out in a fully baked form soon. They really need to work on an E911 solution as well.

I've had very few outages and only occasional routing issues. Their customer support is still the best in the business. You get a person on the phone when you call (but limited hours of operation) and you get a reasonably fast response to tickets you submit electronically.

I recommend them as a top tier provider for IP PBX systems.