VoicePulse for Business & Wholesale page on DSLReports

Review by acrowl See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Campbell,KY
Good "CID W/ Name for incoming calls"
Bad "Took a while to ship"
Overall "Great value with ALL telco features and More"

The only reason I took the time to review this carrier is because how happy I am to date with them. I was fortunate enough to have local access numbers in my community. I decided to not port my old home number so I could have a fresh start with the telemarketers.

The box arrived almost three weeks after the order was placed. They did hit my credit card the day that the order was placed rather than wait till the order shipped. The delay was due to them running out of interface boxes (after 3 calls received the truth). Set up was very simple. I have it running through my house via old telecom wiring. Have a small issue with one o my current Nortel phones. But it seems to be with the phone not the interface box.

I will update my review after I have used the service for a few months.

Comments:

Review by geek_wanna_b See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe,Santa Fe,NM
Good "Cheap long distance, flexible device options, no monthly fee"
Bad "Email support only, no device support, no phone features"
Overall "OK cheap VOIP, but other good options are available"

I recenly spent $10 to sign up with this service. Keep in mind your initial $10 all goes towards long distance calls. Less than 3 cents per minute, even billed in patial minutes (2 cents for first part of minute, then another penny). Codec used is G711u, call quality is as good as anyone else, perhaps better than some. I haven't used it long enough to truly know reliability, but my impression (and from others) is that it's good. Nicest part is no monthly fees, no minimum, no expiration date....you only pay for what you use. And you can use any device...asterisk, sip modem, voip software.....you name it. Tech support is limited to email, and they don't officially support setting up your device, so you'll want to be techie enough to figure such things out (tutorials/samples can be found both on voxilla, and on their support site). But the one time I have emailed their support, they did get back to me very quickly, and they were helpful. I'm getting ready to go more fully into voip with another provider, but I will still keep this account to use 'on the road' or as a backup (you can get free voip clients for windows - laptop, for example, using free wireless point, and you can even get inexpensive voip software for pocketpc - with wireless card...nice 'on the move' solution for outgoing calls). Anyway, I think this is a perfect 'stop gap' solution for people who are looking for something between full voip service, and traditional pots service. Do keep in mind, all outgoing calls are metered, so if you call lots and lots, it might be worth paying for a plan (even if you don't need the phone number).

Update 3/15/05: I've had increasingly frequent problems over the last few months, mainly that calls won't connect during busy times, or my account will seem to freeze up.....and will cure itself in a couple of hours, but frustrating when I need to make a call (and end up having to use another line). Also I do notice some echoing and other voice quality issues, which I used to blame on my isp, but now that I've switched ISP's, the same problems are still ocurring. As soon as I use up my current credits, I will be trying out sipphone.com for awhile...their web site, features, and call logs are more informative and well designed, and they currently only charge 2 cents a minute.

member for 13.6 years, 143 visits, last login: 9.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by L0GiX See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Price more of what I want, Allows BYOEquipment"
Bad "Webpage not user friendly"
Overall "Good for those that are technicaly compitant."

I am using this service because they have tons more features then Vonage. I've changed over and havn't looked back. I like that I can use this with any equipment I want and not have to use thier equipment.

I hope they will revamp thier webpages soon. Its not the more user friendly but better then other VOIP companies I was researching.

member for 14.6 years, 2511 visits, last login: 344 days ago

Comments:

Review by csudsu11 See Profile

• Location: Hackensack,Bergen,NJ
Good "Very fast to setup, great documentation and samples"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "This is the best Asterisk-friendly service out there"

VoicePulse Connect! was very easy to sign up for and configure. It is a very simple service yet does exactly what it is supposed to. It's one of the only ones with automatic billing and the sample configuration files get you up and running in minutes, just like the other review says.

member for 10.7 years, 240 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by masti217 See Profile

• Location: Peculiar,Cass,MO
Good "See below"
Bad "See below"
Overall "If you use Asterisk and IAX, VoicePulse is the provider to use, hand's down."

8 minutes, 37 seconds

That's how long it took from my order confirmation email until I had a dialtone. Unbelievable!

I know there has been a lot of talk lately about how un-helpful the hardcore Asterisk (open source PBX software) community is... unfortunately it's true. It seems like everyone with any amount of experience with Asterisk has some "million dollar idea" and doesn't want to help anyone else for fear of competition.

I have to say, out of any other company out there allowing Asterisk use, VoicePulse is probably the most Asterisk-friendly. I've heard that they had problems in the past, but my experience was nothing short of spectacular.

1) I signed up for their service. My credit card got charged $10 for the prepaid credit. There is a $10 minimum, but it's not a fee, just minimum prepay.

2) I got my activation email with a URL for the knowledge base where I can find various sample configurations. I chose to use the Asterisk configuration since I have a freshly installed Asterisk instance.

3) I downloaded the two pre-made files they have (iax.conf, extensions.conf) and dropped them into my asterisk configuration directory.

4) I changed the default username/password in the files to match my own.

5) I picked up the phone and dialed -- and it worked! The first time! Without changing anything! Frickin' unbelievable compared to the hoops I had to jump through trying to get help in the #asterisk IRC channel.

Asterisk and IAX won't get popular without mainstream users and out of all the IAX providers I have seen (Nufone, Gafachi, VoipJet, etc) no one even comes close to helping make Asterisk a mainstream product as VoicePulse just did.

Comments:

Review by brycen See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Supports Asterisk, very fast setup, very easy selection of DID's"
Bad "Initial problems with DTMF. Terms of service unclear."
Overall "Highly recommended for IVR or other automated solution needs."

This is a review for Voicepulse Connect!, not consumer Voicepulse. Setup could not be easier, and the tool for selecting DID's was great. The calls worked right away,and I can have up to 4 simultanous incoming calls. No other provider offers a service geared to IVR or call center use that is so easy to set up (initial problems with DTMF have since been resolved).

However, the terms of service are unclear. How many simultaneous inbound phone calls will the terms of service permit (rumor is 4)? What are the limits on inbound volume? What are the terms of service? I have no idea, and worse yet no written contract.

For competitors see the great list over at »voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+ ··· ders+B2B

Comments:

Review by Granamear See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
Good "Works with asterisk - Only pay for what you use."
Bad "No DID number in my area."
Overall "Easy to setup, Great audio quality."

Installation was a snap. I simply setup asterisk per their example and I was making calls. Total time of installation was no more than 10 minutes. VoIP service has been available whenever I have needed it.

Because I only pay for what I use (0.029 cents per minute) there is no monthly fee however I have seen other IAX termination points as low at 0.019 cents per minute.

This is a prepay service with a $10.00 minimum.

I have not contacted tech support so I can't comment on that.

I do wish they had 513 / 859 area codes as this would finalize my system.

All in all, voicepulse connect does exactly what they claim, and they do it well.

member for 10.7 years, 722 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by gbroiles See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Sets up fast, voice quality good"
Bad "Haven't found any"
Overall "Great option for Asterisk or other IAX connections"

I got Asterisk working and wanted to get outbound calling working. I signed up with a $10 charge against my credit card and got the configuration instructions immediately. I followed the examples and it worked, first time. Call quality has been very good (better than I get with Vonage over the same DSL line) with no dropouts or problems at all. They give me call detail in a CSV file and toll-free calls seem to be free.

I'm very happy with their service. I haven't had any reason to contact tech support so I don't have an opinion about it.

Comments:

Review by rob1979 See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Shipping was fast"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "If you have a problem with something dont hold your breath"

VOICE PLUSE IS THE WORST

This is the worse company I have ever had to deal with. Since day 1 I have had nothing but problems with them. The first machine they sent me didn’t work. It took a week to figure that out. Only because they email you back 2 to 3 days later. They have no customer service phone number that you can call. You would think a phone service "provider" would have a customer serivce number (especailly for new customers). If you get a response from them it is like hitting the lottery. When they sent the replacement they activated a NJ number and charged me for it!!! I tried to email them on that. NO REPONSE. -- no surprise . Since then I have CANCLED the service and had to resort to American Express to get my money back. So if you ask me if I would recommend this service? Use your imagination.

Comments:

Review by jds17j See Profile

• Location: Providence,Providence,RI
Good "Quick Activation, Seamless with Asterisk, Good Quality"
Bad "Some service issues, not bad though, some Rates are high..."
Overall "Great for use for testing out Asterisk or for Incoming Number"

I signed up a while ago with Voicepulse Connect and haven't really had a problem with them. I was just getting into * and wanted an IAX service I could use with it. The configuration was quite simple, both incoming and outgoing, and I use it for my voicemail system. I have extensions which are off network registered to * with softphones and i have a main menu when calling my Connect inbound number. I have a menu system set up so that the caller can reach each extension, a general voicemail box, or reach the voicemail system to check voicemail. Each extension also has a mailbox and the option to call out to the person's cell phone if they are not available. If they are not available by cell phone, the call is transfered back to the * system and a voicemail can be left there. This actually works great because the inbound number I have with Voicepulse Connect offers free incoming calls, for about $8 a month. Overall I have been pleased with the service they offer and I i like paying prepaid... Plus I have a number in a different city for Incoming. I run all of this off of a Comcast Cable connection. If you are wanting to work with *, give Voicepulse Connect a try

member for 10.9 years, 1160 visits, last login: 1 year ago