Packet8 page on DSLReports

Review by Automate See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "?"
Bad "?"
Overall "Do not use any more"

I am no longer using Packet8

Comments:

Review by barmstrong9 See Profile

• Location: Claremore,Rogers,OK
Good "Getting to fire Bell.. saved big $$$"
Bad "No Modem capabilities (rules out Fax, Alarm Monitoring, DTV, Tivo)"
Overall "Can't afford not to have it!"

The packet8.net experience so far has been great. Every once in a while I can hear myself echo but other than that.. the quality seems great. The only major outstanding issues with this service that need to be worked out are the ability to make a modem connection over the line even if it is a low speed connection and the ability to dial 911. As of now, you can't make a data connection from any device that uses a modem including Fax, Alarm systems, DirectTV, Tivo, etc. I would also like to see 7 digit dialing at some point, doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to enable. Overall it has been great and saved me money!

Comments:

Review by pmckay See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "It works. Call forwarding to the cell phone is great!"
Bad "occasional outages in the past. MUCH Better now!"
Overall "Great Value - Service gets noticeably better and better every month"

Installation is a piece of cake - plug the DTE into your router at home and then plug the phone into the DTE. No need to open up ports. Works fine with dynamic addresses. DTE is very small, allowing you to take your local phone number to anyplace in the world - not tied to the cable modem like CableVision is.

They had some phone quality problems in the past... but it works fine now.

You can see your bill immediately on the web site, and update anything you want, which is great - no need to call customer support.

Why anyone would stick with a phone company, or even pay double to get someone elses service is beyond me.

Comments:

Review by Ikarasu See Profile

• Location: Port Coquitlam,BC
Good "Cheap, great long distance rates, excelent reliability, good sound quality."
Bad "No virtual #'s."

I ordered the item around X-mas time... I was told it'd be here faster... costed me around $90 USD shipping to canada (Not the cheapest,, but in the long run, I will be saving! I hope ). Shipping took about a week... had to pay custom duties, since they put a Price on the value of the DTA...not saying it was a subscription. Shipping/getting it here... wasn't so great, but it gets better.

I opened the box.. got the DTA's Mac addy... Entered it into my Internets acceptance, Plugged an ethernet wire into the cable, Plugged in the phone.. clicked on(Didn't even have to wait!) And I made a phone call. Sound was excelent... And still is.

I hear many people complaining about packet8's Reliability... About it being echoing, ect. I have never had a problem... If I am downloading at max speed, then of course it cuts out once in awhile. I limit my speed to 250 KB/s on all 3 comps, and use the other 20 K for packet 8, when I pick up the phone... no static , no cutouts.... perfect sound. The other users... have not had a problem hearing me, or understanding me so far.

I am a heavy phone user... I've used the service for: 109 calls, or 500 minutes. (probably 50-60 of the calls, were to pagers to leave my #... have them call me back.. works great, I've talked on it for hours at a time.. easy, and it didn't cut out once). Two of the calls.. .are still in use. One time...when packet8 went down, another... when I unplugged my DTA. If you want a high phone bill... call vietnam, And unplug your DTA, it'll go on for days (Might be a way to talk for hours... unplug DTA, call them and say you aint calling overseas... you did for 5 mins, but it's still on calling after 4-5 hours... but exploting them is bad they just need to fix this.)

Overall.. I am VERY happy with the service. It has everything I want.. except for virtual phone #'s... which I wouldn't even need...just a nice option to have. I love the service, and I recommend it to everyone.

member for 10.6 years, 2350 visits, last login: 258 days ago

Comments:

Review by dreamer101 See Profile

• Location: Malaysia
Good "Best VoIP service to be used from Asia"
Bad "Minimal features"
Overall "Best if you travel frequently to Asia or somewhere with low BW"

I frequently travel between USA and Asia. And, when in Asia, I need to call to USA a lot (thousands of minutes). So, I was looking for a basic VoIP service that allow people in USA to call me as a local call and I can call out from Asia to USA for free. I tested Vonage by pinging their gateway from Malaysia and it is 300ms and make it unlikely to work. I ping Packet 8 and it is 250ms. Packet 8 DTA is small and the AC to DC power adapter is design to handle all range of AC. The power cord can be pull out and replace with local power cord. It is easy to carry and travel with. Packet 8 use G.723.1 and it only needs 11Kbps. It shipped to over-sea too...

In general, Packet 8 is the best choice if you need to use it in over-sea where bandwidth is constraint and latency is quite high. Pakcet8 seem to have better gateway to Asia than Vonage. If you using VoIP in Europe, than it may not matter whether it is Vonage or Packet8.

The only problem with Packet 8 is lack of feature. I wish they would support something like Fax to E-mail with the Packet 8 and support Fax.

Dreamer

Comments:

Review by youngmoore See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "CHEAP, Call forwarding in the way it works"
Bad "Wonder sometimes if you will get a dialtone"
Overall "if your looking for cheap this is the one"

I bit into the P8 line of VOIP somewhere last summer when I wanted to reduce my cost at home. At the time I had Vonage at work and home. I couldn't really justify 40 at home so
I changed over to P8. Now coming from Vonage where my line almost ALWAYS works to P8 where "most" of the time it works was as they say you get what you pay for. But as of late is been pretty good. The one REALLY great thing about P8 is their call forwarding.
The way it works is say you call me on my P8 line which is also forwarded to my cell.
Both will ring at the same time. For me this is what I wanted. There are times when I don't want to pick up the VOIP line but want to go to cell. Maybe I'm walking out the door or even not home or in the car. The really great part about this is that the caller doesn't get a million rings before someone picks up.

ym

No longer with P8. Only VON now.

member for 13.4 years, 3353 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by ealvar See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,King,WA
Good "Cheap!"
Bad "Call forwarding weirdness"
Overall "Love it"

I recently moved and needed phone service. I can't stand the local telco's and decided to avoid them if possible. Was considering going with Comcast until I read some reviews about VOIP services. I looked a few companies like Vonage, VoicePulse, VoiceGlo and Packet8. I decided on Packet8 since the first month w/ hardware was only $39 after using an online coupon.

Ordered on Sunday, November 23rd at 5:28pm. I received my phone number within minutes of placing my order online. I received my DTA on the on the Wednesday the 26th! Wow! I wasn't expecting it for a week. Very quick shipping and was a nice surprise after a long day at work.

I plugged it and went through the phone activation process. Then I started making calls. Everything worked as advertised.

I've had about 2 calls drop and maybe 10 calls with degraded voice quality. No outages, however.

Using autodial on my phone is iffy; works sometimes, other times I have to try again. I think it dials too fast for the Packet8 system to recognize the digits. Not a big deal.

Call forwarding has been a bit strange for me, however. I've noticed that sometimes it won't forward calls. I have it set up to ring both my cell phone and my home phone. I'd say it works about 85% of the time.

For a while I had a problem with voicemail: I couldn't retrieve it if my phone was being forwarded. Very strange.

I like that call forwarding will display the originating number and not my Packet8 number when forwarding to my cell phone. Very nice feature.

Bottom line: great service so far, with a few quirks, but an awesome value nonetheless. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'd like to see better voicemail features, like automatic forwarding of voice mail to a specified email account, or web access to voice mail, but I can't complain. $20 is a steal.

Comments:

Review by Cho Baka See Profile

• Location: there
Good "bye bye bell"
Bad "huge delay on overseas calls"
Overall "Still thinking about that...."

·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
I ordered the unlimited North America package, as I live in Canada.

I received a prompt email prior to shipping to confirm/ok the higher shipping price to Canada. Replied ok, and received a prompt ship notice.

There is a definite delay or lag on overseas calls. Overseas calls are a significant part of the reason I have for subscribing. I cannot necessarily fault packet 8 for this, pings or latencies in the internet may be the cause.

I dropped P8, now using Primus (in Canada)
Much better quality!

member for 13.7 years, 6539 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ken See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "Cheap , lots of features"
Bad "Doesn't always work"
Overall "Still worth the money for 19.95"

Got the DTA in the mail 5 days after ordering. Setup was easy, no problems there. Had call quality issues with incoming calls were the caller could hear me, but I couldn't hear them. Finally figured out the problem was my Netgear RT314 router causing the problem. Replaced with a D-Link DI-624 and haven't had those problems since. I seem to have call quality problems after every other firmware update, but they go away with the next update. Call quality is acceptable most of the time, but I do have echo on occasion. I have had Packet 8 for almost 6 months, and for the amount of money it saves me I think it is worth every penny. I can't rate their tech support, as I have never called them.

Update: The quality of the service seems to have gone down hill and rebooting the DTA on a weekly basis is the norm. Finally decieded to drop Packet 8.

member for 11.2 years, 5243 visits, last login: a few hours ago