Wave Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jedensuscg See Profile

• Location: Rocklin,Placer,CA
Good "Had fast install. Allows use of own equipment"
Bad "Cheats speedtest.net, true speeds 1/6 of what paid for."
Overall "Like all ISP's they shape traffic for speedtest.net. Actual speeds are 1/6 advertised even during off-hours."

I pay for the 55 mbps package. When using speedtest.net it shows 45-50 mbps ALWAYS. Even during peak hours. However, I only use speedtest.net to test physical connections, as most ISP's will shape their traffic to give priority to speedtest.net, as it is the most common site and everyone uses it (they will also tell you to go there if you call and complain about speeds). However, using half a dozen other speed test websites, as well as day to day internet use (browsing, downloading and gaming), my actual speeds are as low as 8 mbps. I will run a speedtest.net test, get 45 mbps, do a testmy.net or speakeasy.net test a minute later and get 8-20 mbps!

Please take any positive review here saying they get advertised speeds with a grain of salt. The VAST MAJORITY of those people are using speedtest.net and are not savvy enough to know that ISP's are cheating on these tests.

Getting max speed on speedtest.net verifies my physical connection and hardware has the ability to provide the speeds I pay for, they are just refusing to give them to me. Hopefully more people will force speedtest to monitor this activity and notify users. It is the number one requested feature on speedtest.net. Sadly most people do not realize they are being lied to, and are ignorant to the fact most people are not getting what they paid for, because they are trust a website that is showing them false results compared to actual internet use.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
updated a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

That's the dirty secret with ISP's..

Basically ISP's will sell you a speed and "Yes" you are connected at the speed, BUT.. If you read the fine print. They basically say that they can't guarantee that speed on the internet every time.

Your connection from your house to the ISP will run as advertise.. The connection to the rest of the world might not be a full speed.

WHY??? The ISP's want to save $$$$ so when they connect to the internet and the rest of the world, they won't spent the $$$ like they should and they will skimp on a slower / less connections..

This is why late at night and or early morning some people will find that there internet speed is much faster. Less people online trying to suck thru a small internet straw.

If your ever up at 2 AM on a Monday morning.. Run a speed check...

.....

I still get 50-55Mbps download speeds when downloading from a lot of different download servers (including my own speedtest server - »speedtest.bmccoy.cf ), and a bunch of other download sites. Wave doesn't prioritize or shape traffic to certain websites as far as I know, and torrents download at >55Mbps for me. Testmy.net gives me a 35.7Mbps download speed, but that may just be a result of a congested peering point, or a lot of other possible causes.

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Anveo
·Astound Broadband

There is a lot of misleading information posted here - confirm if you can

There is a very good reason that they don't guarantee your throughput, and it's not because they are not providing the capability; it is because most servers you connect to don't send data to you at full speed. This is why knowledgeable users who want fast downloads use download managers that make multiple connections - each connection gets its limited speed, but overall you get your full download capability.

I agree that speedtests are not an absolute indication of your download capability, but not because of "shaping" by the ISP. I find that it is more often lower than actual, because of overuse of the servers.

I know how to monitor my actual download speed for large files from various servers I use. In fact, I can easily display a line graph showing the speed over time, with any dropouts along the way. I get a pretty consistent 55 mbps from Astound, the Wave provider here. When I had Comcast, I got a very consistent 28.8 mbps from them, and when I had AT&T uverse and DSL, I had consistent speeds there, too. If I didn't, I looked for the cause, and it was usually my own equipment or wiring. Once, it was the Comcast modem.

The posters here didn't say anything about how they determined their "facts". Without that, there is absolutely no way to judge the validity of their claims, and they should be treated as mere rumors.

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
Good "Fast, reliable, no contract."
Bad "Slow install, no native IPv6, capped at 300GB/month."
Overall "Fast & reliable internet, TV and phone services are average."

»www.speedtest.net/result/3644186026.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/100867534.png

I have had Wave Broadband triple-play in Port Orchard for a while now, after switching from CenturyLink (due to slow speeds, high prices, and no upgrades planned). The only time it goes out is during some local power outages.

The installers took multiple times to come out, which took a long time, since they had to run a temporary drop from the pole to my house, because my property needed completely new wiring. They then installed a new, permanent trench to put the cable in, a few weeks later.

The speed of the internet is great, I am paying for 55/5 (I was originally on High Speed 15), and usually get speeds around 55.5/6. The internet is capped at 300GB/month.

The phone is good, not much to say here. Quality is equal to/better than CenturyLink and a lot more reliable.

The TV is okay, good picture quality (although it is quite heavily compressed), but the Motorola DCX3200-M P2 box they gave me is buggy and slow, and On Demand fast forward/rewind controls are very laggy. The I-Guide on that model doesn't support 16:9, so my TV guide is letterboxed.

Better online TV integration (such as the way Comcast implemented their cable box remote app), and live online tech support would be a great feature.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

Internet: Still fine, no drop outs, rarely goes below 15.5/2.5 Mbps

TV: Cable box went out last weekend for some odd reason, so I went to the store and they replaced it with a new DCX3200-M P3. The newer box is less buggy than the old one, too. (Another update: that newer box died, and they gave me another P2 box.)

Phone: Same, if not better quality as my old Centurylink POTS. I had a wiring issue with my house's phone wiring that I fixed myself.

Overall, still good service for the price. I'm not sure what I'll do after the 12 month promotion period, I will either cancel TV, or go to the next promotion, if they let me.

I am still worried about the node getting overloaded at peak times of usage, because almost everyone in my area (South Port Orchard) has Wave Broadband. I haven't seen any major speed drops on Friday/Saturday nights yet. I will probably update the review again sooner or later.

UPDATE 10/24/13:

Internet: Very reliable, no outages or speed drops ever since we ordered it. Speeds are still constantly at or above 15Mbps download / 2-3 upload during peak usage times.

Phone: No outages, still good quality. Not much to say.

TV: Once in a while a channel may black out for a minute or two, but it might be the network's fault. They wanted to charge to install TV to another building that's 15 feet from the utility pole, so I went to the hardware store to pick up some flexible conduit and installed it myself after getting their permission from the tech that came out. I would like it if they could get JOE-TV in HD.

One thing I dislike:

They definitely need a better TVGOS system/inserter for TV's with analog/digital QAM tuners in them. Only a couple analog channels show channel information. None of the digital channels show any information on any TV's without a rented cable box.

UPDATE 1/30/2014:

Today my internet got upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 upstream and 8 channel DOCSIS 3.0 downstream, and my pings are even lower (12ms) now. With these upgrades, it seems they might be launching an even faster tier sometime soon. The only outages I've had are during power outages, and I think that's fixed now. Very good customer service, whenever I (rarely) need to call them.
JOE-TV isn't in HD, still.
They'll be automatically upgrading my plan to 55/5 on or before February 28th, for free. They now have a 110/10 plan with a 1TB cap.
Higher upload speeds would definitely be nice.

UPDATE 3/31/2014:

After deciding to contact CondoInternet (Wave subsidiary) via Twitter (»twitter.com/CondoInternet), they finally got my account upgraded to High Speed 55. I'm getting around 55.6/6Mbps consistently, and I'm paying 5.00 less than before. They also renewed my 12-month promotional price.

UPDATE 6/30/2014:

After having some problems with my internet dropping out, I checked my connections and found that the cable going across the street to the easement on my property was filled with water. The first tech who was sent out didn't fix anything, and never showed up the next day to finish his job. The next tech was very good, he replaced the cable with water in it, installed two NIDs to keep water out, and was very friendly. He scheduled an installer to come and re-wire my outlets 2 days later.

The two installers who came out were very unfriendly and didn't do what they were told (they were supposed to "home-run 3 outlets", but they only installed one (and did a very poor job, pushing the cable up through the floor, around 12" from the baseboard).

member for 1.3 years, 350 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Skip Piper

@wavecable.com

Wave functionality.

It is difficult to determine whether it's my computer or what but by comparison with Comcast which I had subscribed to for many years I Never experienced the problems that I have with Wave such as slow internet speeds and having to ride the audio on my tv..

Re: Wave functionality.

Slow internet speeds are usually caused by a bad modem, poor signal levels, or both. Make sure your wireless access point is wireless N.

Re: Wave functionality.

Another note: If you're having problems with your service, please post a new topic in the forums. Commenting on other users' reviews won't get you any help.

frustrated12

@24.56.241.x

Wave Broadband Internet and Cable

VERY UNRELIABLE, Constantly getting less than paying for. Service cuts out, and they seem unable to admit they have a network problem after MANY visits to come and "FIX" the issue. People are nice but the product is VERY BAD.

Re: Wave Broadband Internet and Cable

If you're having problems, please make a post in the »Wave Broadband forum, so others can help you out. Making comments on reviews usually won't get your issue resolved, unfortunately.

Review by KawiNinja81 See Profile

• Location: Rocklin,Placer,CA
Good "Very Fast Speeds, Reliable"
Bad "Bandwidth Caps, Overage Fees"
Overall "Decent ISP but caps and overage fees degrading internet"

I was with Starstream before they were purchased by Wave Broadband.
Service stayed the same for a long time, good bandwidth, almost no downtime, unlimited usage.

Recently however Wave Broadband has decided to join the data usage cap train with other larger ISPs.
I feel this is wrong and degrades the internet so I will be researching alternative service providers.

Comments:

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Thev'ye been reliable for uptime. Pings are usually low."
Bad "Power Outage uptime sucks"

·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
Update 02-14 On the 55/10 commercial internet. Speed seems to hold most of the time but I think some growing pains right now. Since our tv is under our personal name and the internet under our company name we don't get the "extras" that bundling would get such as Movieplex... Would love to see a work around for that.

There is a forum up and running here on dslreports at »Wave Broadband If your a Wave customer please check it so we can be moved to US Cable Support finally...

update 11-12
Tech support can be clueless most of the time. Needs better offerings. Hoping the new owners take ownership and try out customer retention for a change. Had a customer that had a line cut by construction which we could see. Wave made them prove it wasn't the customer owned modem before they would proceed any further troubleshooting. Rookies!

update- 9-09
Connection still stable with a bit of slowdowns on peak hours lately.. Not bad though. Getting tech support to make a change for me (commercial connection) has gone on for weeks now for a simple dns change.

update- 6-09
I now run my business server here so opted for commercial service. Now at 6mbps 1.5mbps.

moved to 6/1service.

Ive had my install since the Charter days since it became available on my street. Since Wave took over the offerings are a welcome change. I ordered the 768/128 plan from Charter and have since been moved up to the present speed of 6 mbps 385 kbps.

Comments:
MadApples

join:2012-12-27

NO NO NO

my foster dad owns a business where they have wave broadband, one i hosted a web/game server with there data center, apparently i got ddoss hacked by one of my disgruntled players, and the data center came to me and said, they didn't want my server there any longer. of course if a simple doss attack caused them so much trouble they are basically noobs in my eyes for not being able to deal with the problem properly.

a few years later, i am told i was going to move up there. problem is im currently developing morpg and it requires tcp/ip data streams from server to client side that i programed.

After seeing all these horrid and scary reviews, i certainly not looking toward to the move up there. Ill do what ever i can to stay with Comcast and not move to this area with this crappy, overran, noobish, stuck, snobbish up prick of a wave broadband company.

My idea is to host all my servers in Seattle and not give a penny to these noobs they call wave broadband.

-MadApples

Review by m4a2000 See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
Good "No trouble 90% of the time"
Bad "Modem resets twice a day"

Recently I upgraded from 6-1 to 15-2. I'm paying $59.95 plus another $7 for a wireless router. The original install happened years ago and it was quick and easy. I still have the modem from that install: Motorola SURFBoard SB5101.

Most of the time I have no problems, but recent my modem will reset itself almost twice a day (just did a reset as I was typing this). I really can't switch to another ISP and even if I could I need the cable TV package, not included in this review, for work seeing I operate a PEG channel that is on Wave.

Comments:

bmccoy

·Wave Broadband

Post your modem log and SNR/Power values

Post your modem log and SNR/Power values before writing a negative review. I know a lot about cable technology (No, I don't work for Wave Broadband, I'm just a customer), and it sounds like the wiring in your home is causing problems with your cable modem. Please post the modem log and SNR/Power values to the thread you already opened here - »Modem rebooting twice a day so I can help you get this problem resolved as soon as possible. It is very likely you are having a T4 Timeout, as chpalmer stated, which is caused by faulty wiring in your home.
m4a2000

join:2010-06-24

Re: Post your modem log and SNR/Power values

I'll be doing that this week. Had to many things at work to fix.

Review by mongocrush See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "Fastest connection where I'm located"
Bad "They have had 5 outages in the last month, and those are the ones I know about."
Overall "If I had a better option I would switch in a millisecond. Hopefully I can convince the local ISP to be more reliable."

I signed up for Wave Broadband about 2 months ago and within those two months I have lost Internet service 5 times, that I noticed. I was thinking of expanding to a VOIP service as well, but I first need a reliable ISP (Internet Service Provider). Wave Broadband is not a reliable ISP.

I would love to change this post to something more favorable, but first Wave Broadband needs to provide a more reliable internet service.

Comments:

bmccoy

What caused the outages?

Was it something on Wave Broadband's side, or in your home's wiring?

Go to 192.168.100.1 (or your cable modem's IP address), and look at the following values:

- Downstream SNR - Should be above 32 dB
- Downstream Power Level - Should be between -10 - +10 dBmV
- Upstream Power Level - Should be between +35 - +50 dBmV

Those values determine the reliability and speed of your connection. If they are out of DOCSIS specifications, your connection WILL become slow and unreliable.
groingo

join:2013-01-24

Jumpng telephone poles in Port Orchard

Our last few outages in Port Orchard were from jumping telephone poles and cars, we get a lot of that round here!

Review by JeffInWA See Profile

• Location: Chelan,Chelan,WA
Good "Speed was ok"
Bad "Stopped working, would not fix, still will not cancel after 6 months"
Overall "If everything works you might be ok, just hope you never have to cancel"

I was their customer from the time they took over Broadstripe (was with Broadstrip for years before). Feb 2013 the connection quit working. Everyone on my block was out. They came and replaced a box on the pole in the alley, but it didn't fix the problem. Many calls to tech support resulted in many visits by the local guy, but he didn't know anything about internet connections, just cableTV (which still worked fine). I switched to local fiber and tried to cancel with Wave. After an even dozen phone calls, two written letters and emails to every tech and customer support email address I can find I'm still getting bills. Most phone calls to them result in being on hold forever. I waited 4 hours one day and never reached anyone.

My internet was long gone, but on one of the numerous bills they sent after I canceled they stated they were going to have limits on usage - something Broadstripe never did. I believe the monthly limit was going to be 20gb for a normal account.

If you have any other option for internet other than Wave, use it.

member for 1.1 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by markymark52 See Profile

• Location: Rocklin,Placer,CA
Good "Timely Install. Mostly Reliable Service."
Bad "Price, Bandiwth Capping, and Pricing Structure"
Overall "Average Internet With Above Average Price Tag"

I've had Wave Broadband for a few years and have had a sub-par experience with them. While their service has been mostly reliable, the overall value you receive does not measure up with the larger companies such as Comcast. Currently, Wave offers pricing structures for speeds from 3 Mbps all the way up to 50Mbps.

While I do credit Wave for offering tiered options for customers, they are ultimately overpriced once your subscription goes beyond the 3-12 month promotional period. Additionally, they implement caps starting at 100 GB (I had 100 GB cap with my 15Mbps plan) and charge you $5.00 for each additional 25 GB used. While this may be fine for the average user, streaming HD media regularly can exceed this cap easily.

With Basic enhanced basic cable TV bundling, I was paying over $120.00 a month. While it's not anything that's going to throw me into bankruptcy, I'm able get a lot faster speeds and comparable cable elsewhere for less money.

Comments:

Review by .

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Wave has nothing good to offer, use another service if possible."
Bad "Constant disconnects, slow connection most of the time, tech support scheduled a 4 hour window, and was still late."
Overall "I wouldn't use Wave if there was another option, I would not have this crap service."

We pay for a high tier service, that we never get. Wave is SLOW. There are constant disconnections. The last time we called for tech support to try to get this fixed, the support guy was late after scheduling a 4 hour window, so we ended up wasting half the day waiting around for him to show. I don't doubt that he's overbooked, and can't possibly make all the appointments on time. At lease he knew what he was doing, and found a problem with the cable, and the box outside our building. He said someone would come back to fix it since he didn't have the parts, but I doubt that ever happened as service hasn't gotten any better.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by machine156 See Profile

• Location: Garberville,Humboldt,CA
Good "Faster than dial-up"
Bad "Expensive & Slow"

In this area, we have one choice for internet, Wave Broadband, $60 for 1.5mbit/sec down and 768kbit/sec up; bandwidth test get 0.6 to 1.2mbit down, downloads go about 40-80kbyte/sec, Hulu, Netflix and other streaming video constantly buffer. The local office has told us they are not allowed to complain to corporate office about speeds or they will loose their jobs. We have also been told that the Internet wasn’t intended for streaming video and to many people are doing so. We get mailed and e-mailed offers for the services they provide all other Wave service locations, but when we call to get them, they say they are not available to us. When we call and complain about the slow service, they say ‘we can upgrade your service’ then they say ‘oh those services are not available in your area’