Optimum Voice page on DSLReports

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "Very reliable, good call quality, really no complains."
Bad "Although the voip price is good, I'm stuck with a very expensive bundle."
Overall "No reason not to get voip if you're in bed with them anyhow."

Above says it all.

member for 12.5 years, 1908 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

Review by PX Eliezer See Profile

• Location: Outland
Good "Reliable add-on to Cablevision's Optimum Internet Service"
Bad "Fewer features and more expensive than 3rd party VoIP services"
Overall "Good cable company phone service, with the pros and cons thereof "

·callwithus
·Callcentric
Optimum Voice is the phone component of Cablevision's Optimum internet service.

For business usage, price after the introductory period is $35.00 per month.

Service is reliable and of good quality. I've used them for a few years as an ancillary provider.

Features are more limited than those of 3rd party VoIP providers, and it can only be used at the installed location.

A new IVR which they call Virtual Receptionist is now available, but it is an extra 14.95 per month.

For a business which has Optimum internet service, Optimum Voice can be a reasonable add-on, but it is nothing special. Command and control functions on the website are somewhat better than they used to be, but still limited.

member for 1.6 years, 994 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sandman9r See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "With Triple Play, You Only Pay $20"
Bad "Without Triple Play, You'll Pay More"
Overall "The Perfect Complement to Optimum Online"

APRIL 2014

It always amazes me when I use my OV line and think that my conversation is happening in 1's & 0's. Digital calling is the future and is here to stay. Cablevision was smart enough to realize this and started offering this service a decade ago.

Although I've had this service for years, I never really felt a need to tell others about it. It's almost too good to be true that I want to keep it a secret. In my paranoid little world, the less people that are using a product, the better that product will work. Call me jealous. There's nothing like hearing a conversation over the phone where both parties are using landlines. The calls become crystal clear. That's not to say that the same won't occur with mobile users. However, when both calls are from landlines, there's a noticeable uptick in the quality of the sound.

I believe all cellular phones emit radiation. Because of this incontrovertible fact, I prefer to use landlines.

There's a little known secret to Optimum Voice that Cablevision doesn't advertise. Unless the customer specifies otherwise, once you're assigned a number, you'll stay with that number. For example, recently, I disconnected my OV line to accommodate my shrinking budget. When I called CV to reactivate the number a few billing cycles later, it was there waiting for me. You probably won't find this perk with other company VOIP products.

The optimum.net webpage is your portal to all things Optimum Voice. Without this crucial link, you simply aren't taking full advantage of all the features that the service offers. Find Me is an invaluable tool that will ring up to three lines at once. Once you have it, you can't go back.

Being that there are no minutes to worry about, no long distance charges, no calling cards, or no 'cents per minute' charges, Optimum Voice really is the cherry on top of Cablevision's excellent triple pay package.

My Current Modem: Arris TM822G (Blazingly Fast & Very Stable)
# Of Phone Lines I Use: 2 (718 & 347 Area Codes)

SEPTEMBER 2010
After seven years of Optimum Voice, I'm as happy as they come. Cablevision finally added the ability to block individual numbers. I still get miffed by the occasional error dialing out ("We're sorry, your call did not go through. Please check the number and try your call again.")

Also, there is dropout more frequently than I care to remember. I'd like to blame this on cell phone users but this even occurs on calls for people who I know have POTS. For this, Cablevision gets a one point demerit.

Unlimited calling to Puerto Rico rules.

Still a very happy camper.

SEPTEMBER 2008
Good service although lately, I've noticed that I'm experiencing more dropped connections. Sometimes, when dialing out, I receive error messages.

Despite these small nuisances, the service remains a must-have for Optimum customers for its unbeatable price to performance ratio.

DECEMBER 2006
Optimum Voice is an impeccable service. It is no wonder why cable providers are becoming the leaders in the VoIP market.

UPDATE: JUNE 2006
Nothing new to report. The service is still perfectly reliable and virtually indistinguishable from traditional phone service. The Find Me feature is one of my favorites. I never miss a call to my landline.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2005
Optimum Voice is undoubtedly the best VoIP service in the Northeast if not the United States. Cablevision recently added Caller ID with Call Waiting in addition to other nifty features. They also claim that approximately 1000 customers a day are joining. I'm a bit worried that inevitably the service will deteriorate due to its growing popularity but I understand that there are others who want this cool service.

Unlike those overrated, useless, static-filled cell phones, you never have to even think of the dreaded word "minutes" or dropped phone calls with OV. Your calls are sent through Cablevision's network to ensure reliability. Talk all you want whenever. Receiving your voicemails through emails is ingenious. I don't know if other phone services offer this feature.

Just as with Optimum Online though, I wish that the price wasn't as steep. Even with its current price, the service is indeed worth it.

SEPTEMBER 2004
Enhanced voicemail is Cablevision's best idea ever. When you receive a voicemail, you can be notified via email. Once you get used to this, you will be spoiled. I was never a heavy phone user because of the threat of a high phone bill. Ever since I received Optimum Voice, I've been calling my friends across the country and never worry about a steep bill. Calls are digital with no lag whatsoever.

The only "negative" is the fact that the service operates on power. Honestly, this doesn't worry me one bit because the only power failure that I've ever experienced was the east coast blackout of 2003. The chances of a power failure in my area are very slim.

Before OV, I had Verizon with absolutely no features whatsoever. My phone bill was high even though I didn't make many phone calls. I discovered that surcharges easily added $10-$15 to my bill. I love Optimum Voice's flat rate.

Overall, I've had nothing but a smooth ride with Cablevision thus far. Great broadband with Optimum Online, great satellite service with Voom and now, exceptional phone service with Optimum Voice.

Comments:

Review by Duckbacker See Profile

• Location: Nesconset,Suffolk,NY
Good "Quick setup"
Bad "It's Cablevision"
Overall "Used to be a great deal. That's not true any more."

Update 12/07/13

DSL Reports wants an update so here it is. I just re-upped for another two year hitch with Verizon. It works and the price is reasonable. It's been almost 4 years and I haven't had a single problem with Verizon despite hurricanes, blizzards, an earthquake and even a tornado. There's no reason to go back to CV. I don't miss Cablevision in the slightest.

Update 01/21/10

This will be my last OV update. The phone still works but the rest of Cablevision's services have gone down the tubes. I finally got fed up and decided to give FIOS a shot. After making a few calls on FIOS, I can tell you that OV, while adequate, is definitely inferior. They will claim that they haven't raised their rates in years. What they have done is decrease discounts for subscribing to multiple services. While I guess this technically is not a price increase, my bill has gone steadily up. These people can't be trusted.

Update 10/09/09

Still working without a glitch. The price has gone up to $20 a month but that's just one of the joys of dealing with Cablevision. Even with that it's still a bargain.

Update 11/01/05

Still working flawlessly. I haven't had a single hiccup or problem. I can't believe my luck. I'm getting $60 a month POTS quality service for $15! What a deal!

Update 9/01/05

The service has been and continues to be flawless. I have absolutely no complaints. They have a new feature set and unlike Sunrocket, they actually work. Dropping Sunrocket and going to CV is one of the smartest things I've ever done. (as far as phone service is concerned) Going to Sunrocket first was one of the dumbest. If you already have Cablevision for TV and Internet, Optimum Voice is a no brainer.

Original Review

The price listed is for customers who already have CV for TV and OOL. I've only had it for a week so I know it's a little early to give such high ratings. They will be adjusted as neccessary as time goes by.

I've had Verizon phone service for most of my life. I've grown accustomed to being able to pick up the phone and make a call without giving it a second thought as to whether or not it was working. I recently tried one of the major VOIP providers and found how disconcerting it can be to not have that peace of mind. Although for the first few months the VOIP was flawless, the wheels came off and the reliability went down the toilet. I made the mistake of porting my number over to them and I wanted it back so I attempted to go back to Verizon so I could retain my number. After a month of trying they were unable to accomodate me so I called CV to see if they could get it done any faster. I was desperate to have decent phone service. When I did call CV and was told that I could have Optimum Voice for $14.95, it suddenly wasn't that important to get my old phone number back. (CV wouldn't port from my VOIP provider). I signed up immediately. I already have one of the new modems with the phone port on the back. All I had to do was call sales,set it up, talk to a Tech and plug in my phone. The whole process took less than ten minutes. It worked for incoming and outgoing calls immediately. The sound quality so far has been equal to POTS, far better than any VOIP, with no echos and no background noise.

I'm not a big fan of CV and the Dolan family but it sure is nice to have a phone that works again.

Comments:

Review by frogli6 See Profile

• Location: Kings Park,Suffolk,NY
Good "unlimited calling"
Bad "It doesn't work sometimes"
Overall "TRY VONAGE"

10/2012 it is so much better. It just works.

I have now had OptimumVoice for about 4 months. It really started off strong, not a problem at all the first 2 months. Then I started getting all circuits are busy and so did people calling me. Then the outages started. I have had 4 major outages this month including Friday night for 4.5 hours and tonight it has has one way calling all night for about 4 hours so far. My brother has Vonage I should have listened to him.

UPDATE****************

My phone was out for about 17 hours and I just called Cv Cunstomer service and they would only give me a 5% discount. that is $1.75. VONAGE HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by PX Eliezer7 See Profile

• Location: Hutt River
Good "Good voice quality and reliability. No extra junk fees. Fax works."
Bad "Cheaper than POTS but still costlier than pure VoIP; limited features"
Overall "Reliable service but more costly than independent VoIP."

·callwithus
Optimum Voice (OV) is the phone service associated with Cablevision's Optimum Online (OOL) internet service. This review is written with regard to business use, not residential.

OV has excellent quality and reliability.

My number was ported from Verizon in about a week, with no problems.

The monthly fee for business line is $ 35 after first year including unlimited US calling, and this includes many features. If you have 4+ lines there are discounts. This cost is much less than a Verizon business landline with comparable service. However, a pure VoIP player could be cheaper still, with more flexibility.

There are no extra junk telco fees. Of course, OV requires the OOL internet service, which is about $ 50 per month.

Porting a business number is free. However, OV charges $ 40 to port a residential number, which I believe is very shortsighted. Still, OV now has over 2 million phone lines in its metro NYC and northern NJ communities.

Because this is cable company VoIP, it does lack the flexibility and features that many independent VoIP providers offer. However, it is generally reliable, and faxing (inbound and outbound) works well. For businesses that still need fax, that can be a plus.

member for 6.2 years, 2568 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by NYC Girl See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Excellent, reliable call quality at a fairly resonable price."
Bad "Not as many calling features and less cost effective than pure VoIP companies."
Overall "Excellent Call Quality, never had any issues whatsoever, more expensive than pure VoIP; however, you get what you pay for."

UDATED 10/19/11: OK, you win Optimum, I am back!!! Can't beat your call quality and reliability. Also, doesn't hurt to receive a new triple-play deal!!! But watch your back, I might break up with you again!!

------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 9/26/11:

I have since switched to VoiPo as they are more cost effective and provide great service. Love the personal attention I receive with email and phone inquiries. Optimum was good except you could not make ANY international calls unless you subscribed to their Optimum Voice World for an additional 19.99 per month for a whopping 250 minutes!!!!! I wanted to call a friend visiting Italy with an international calling card; Optimum wouldn't even allow THAT so I had to use my cell phone with the calling card which was very cumbersome. Oh well, so long Optimum Voice!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________

I moved from Harlem (upper Manhattan) to the South Bronx so I had no choice but to subscribe to Optimum Voice since Time Warner Cable's Digital Voice is not available here. I prefer not to experiment with any of the indy VoIP services that are current out there. If I have a problem with OV I can have someone come to my home to fix it. I wasn't going to have anything to do with Verizon other than my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry. Verizon land line service is too expensive with their line subscriber charges and the like; I can't bear to go back to their phone service, I cringe just viewing their bundled packages online.

I am currently subscribed to their first time customer triple play package at 29.99 for phone, internet, and television in addition to subscribing to BOOST (30megs up, 5megs down). I almost didn't get the triple play promotion pricing due to the fact that 12 and 18 years ago (might as well be 100 years ago) when I lived in CT I had Cablevision. The customer service representative told me that I was not eligible for the promotion because of this as I was not a new customer and their is no statute of limitation as to how long ago I was a customer of Cablevision (jeeze). Optimum Voice and Optimum Online was not around then - definitely not Optimum Voice!! I just called customer service and got another representative and he was kind enough to ask his supervisor (without me asking for him) about this and the pricing was adjusted, thank goodness!!

The installation went very well; the technician was quick and knew what he was doing. The Motorolla Surfboard Digital Voice modem for Optimum Online and Optimum Voice was installed on my computer.

I have excellent, reliable call quality, better than Digital Voice and less expensive with many free calling features included in the price. I love getting an email / text when I have a new voice message from my home phone. It would be great if they included the voicemail call-in number on the email / text so I can dial the number directly from my BB. With Optimum Rewards the monthly price can be as low as 19.99 per month.

Comments:

Review by markatty

• Location: Stamford,Fairfield,CT
Good "Optimum Voice calls work well"
Bad "Optimum Voice mail web administration is dog slow"
Overall "Optimum Voice is not a system you want to use if you get a lot of voicemails"

Cablevision's Optimum Online Voice web based voice mail administration is horrendous. To do something simple like listen to a 12 second message and delete it took:

35 seconds for the list of email messages to display,

then another 46 seconds for the Flash audio player to load and start playing

Once you select delete the pop-up window to delete the message came up quickly, but you should have the option to skip confirmation entirely. If you click delete it should just delete. Now you would think that once everything is loaded that things would go faster, but unbelievably when you delete the first message the entire Flash window with the list of messages is reloaded, so you wait another 30 - 45 seconds just to get back to where you were and of course when you select the next message, the Flash audio player has to reload. All in all you are looking at about 1.5 minutes to delete each message.

Cablevision's Optimum Voice mail makes it worse, because the first time you find out that there is any problem is when your mail box is full and won't take any more messages, no warning messages, no updates. So I had over 200 messages that needed to be deleted when I got the mailbox is full message. To use the Optimum Voice voicemail website to delete messages will take nearly 5 hours and 55 minutes.

I called up and the representative said that he used the system and delays did not bother him. He also said that there is no way to get an alert and try to administer the Optimum Voice voice mail over the phone.

I get a lot of voice mails every day and I never had this problem with Vonage, think I will switch back.

(review was emailed from domain ix.netcom.com)

Comments:

Review by RustyTheDog See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Price and Features and Reliability"
Bad "Power failures"
Overall "Can't be beat for the price."

Placed my order for OV and the same day called Verizon to release the PIC on my POTS line so my phone number could be ported. The day before my original OV installation date, they called to say that Verizon still would not release the number. Had to wait an additional week, but this is not OV's fault.

Installation took about 10 minutes. Because I had already had Vonage at one point, I had already installed a dedicated wall jack to back-feed the whole house.

I had dial tone and my number ported correctly! I was a happy camper.

The only problem I had so far was an afternoon of dropped/missed calls because of a service disruption of some type. Not sure what it was, but it resolved itself.

I should note that I am really paying $34.95/month but as part of the deal I have with Cablevision, I get a $20 monthly credit for LIFE if I keep all of the services the same. So my net is really paying $14.95/month. Much better than the $55 I was paying with Verizon after all of those ridiculous fees and taxes.

Update: After several years, I think that above was the only time I lost service that wasn't due to a power failure. I'd say they ROCK! Oh, I just did

Comments:

Review by StreetSpirit See Profile

• Location: Roslyn,Nassau,NY
Good "Stability, Caller ID on TV, Two way calling, Voicemail, Good Voice Quality (Far better than Vonage)"
Bad "It's getting expensive; you must subscribe to Cablevision OOL which is a review in it's own right."
Overall "If your modem connection is stable and doesn't reset often, you'll enjoy the service. I do!"

We've had OV since 2006. Here are some highlights of the service:

Caller ID on TV
Configuration via TV (IO Channel 630) or website.
Call Waiting w/ Caller ID
Busy Redial (I love this for getting through to offices and such)
Call Return (*69)
3 Way Calling
Anonymous Call Blocking
Call Forwarding with "Find Me" feature (another one I often use)
Voicemail is also pretty cool. You can get your voicemail via email or via the web, or the old fashioned way.
411 is free, quick and very accurate.
911 service is via E911.

You can port in your telephone number from Verizon but Cablevision charge a $40 dollar porting fee (show me any service today without spurious fees!)

The cost unfortunately has been increasing due to Cablevision reducing the amount of discount applied to a user's bill. Obviously I've exhausted every triple play deal, and rely on Cablevision discounts to knock a few dollars off my bill. Recently, I count OV as having gone up $5 dollars to $25 due to a lowering of a discount.

If you have OOL and never had it before, you can get it for $19.99 a month for a year.

I use it in Long Island with OOL Boost and iO.

Installation was fairly easy, but still took three visits. The first tech (obviously a contractor) replaced my Motorola 5100 modem that worked flawlessly with a Scientific Atlanta modem that did have an RJ11 output, but didn't work and had what I later diagnosed to be a Ringer Equivalency (REN) problem. It would ring once and generate a second "anemic" ring. Besides this it reset on the internet side every 20 minutes!

The first technician also rewired my jacks, and messed up the job by connecting the wrong set of wires even though I asked him to use the second pair.

I called Cablevision and had a tech the next day who brought the wrong modem. By then I fixed the wiring (took 2 minutes to pop the box and rewire it). The second fellow came late and brought the wrong modem to boot.

By this time I had lost a full day of work, so I decided to have the next guy come on Saturday. Third guy was the charm and installed a Motorola SBv5020 modem. At the time I ordered, there was no self install option available for OV, or I would've gladly done it myself.

However, it's now worked without fault for 4 years or so! My family has been very happy with the service and since my modem goes down maybe once a year, it's no different than a POTS line in terms of reliability. The rising price is a detriment however.

----
Update

1/16/2011 We still have Optimum Voice and have not had any problems. As my modem at home resets maybe once every year (very rare).

My wife loves the caller-id on screen and being able to get her voicemails from a smartphone on the road. Combined, I pay about 160 p/month , apx 90 for the TV side and 70 for Boost/OV.

I still HIGHLY recommend OV if your modem is stable and does not loose sync (reset). If it does, your phone line will go out every time your modem does. This doesn't include slowdowns, but only disconnections. Slowdowns aren't really serious as OV dedicates ~128kilobit with high priority QOS for telephony packets.

Hope this review helps!