Optimum Voice page on DSLReports

Review by sandman9r See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "With Triple Play, You Only Pay $20"
Bad "Without Triple Play, You'll Pay More"
Overall "The Perfect Complement to Optimum Online"

·Optimum Online
APRIL 2014

It always amazes me when I use my OV line and think that my conversation is happening in 1's & 0's. Digital calling is the future and is here to stay. Cablevision was smart enough to realize this and started offering this service a decade ago.

Although I've had this service for years, I never really felt a need to tell others about it. It's almost too good to be true that I want to keep it a secret. In my paranoid little world, the less people that are using a product, the better that product will work. Call me jealous. There's nothing like hearing a conversation over the phone where both parties are using landlines. The calls become crystal clear. That's not to say that the same won't occur with mobile users. However, when both calls are from landlines, there's a noticeable uptick in the quality of the sound.

I believe all cellular phones emit radiation. Because of this incontrovertible fact, I prefer to use landlines.

There's a little known secret to Optimum Voice that Cablevision doesn't advertise. Unless the customer specifies otherwise, once you're assigned a number, you'll stay with that number. For example, recently, I disconnected my OV line to accommodate my shrinking budget. When I called CV to reactivate the number a few billing cycles later, it was there waiting for me. You probably won't find this perk with other company VOIP products.

The optimum.net webpage is your portal to all things Optimum Voice. Without this crucial link, you simply aren't taking full advantage of all the features that the service offers. Find Me is an invaluable tool that will ring up to three lines at once. Once you have it, you can't go back.

Being that there are no minutes to worry about, no long distance charges, no calling cards, or no 'cents per minute' charges, Optimum Voice really is the cherry on top of Cablevision's excellent triple pay package.

My Current Modem: Arris TM822G (Blazingly Fast & Very Stable)
# Of Phone Lines I Use: 2 (718 & 347 Area Codes)

SEPTEMBER 2010
After seven years of Optimum Voice, I'm as happy as they come. Cablevision finally added the ability to block individual numbers. I still get miffed by the occasional error dialing out ("We're sorry, your call did not go through. Please check the number and try your call again.")

Also, there is dropout more frequently than I care to remember. I'd like to blame this on cell phone users but this even occurs on calls for people who I know have POTS. For this, Cablevision gets a one point demerit.

Unlimited calling to Puerto Rico rules.

Still a very happy camper.

SEPTEMBER 2008
Good service although lately, I've noticed that I'm experiencing more dropped connections. Sometimes, when dialing out, I receive error messages.

Despite these small nuisances, the service remains a must-have for Optimum customers for its unbeatable price to performance ratio.

DECEMBER 2006
Optimum Voice is an impeccable service. It is no wonder why cable providers are becoming the leaders in the VoIP market.

UPDATE: JUNE 2006
Nothing new to report. The service is still perfectly reliable and virtually indistinguishable from traditional phone service. The Find Me feature is one of my favorites. I never miss a call to my landline.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2005
Optimum Voice is undoubtedly the best VoIP service in the Northeast if not the United States. Cablevision recently added Caller ID with Call Waiting in addition to other nifty features. They also claim that approximately 1000 customers a day are joining. I'm a bit worried that inevitably the service will deteriorate due to its growing popularity but I understand that there are others who want this cool service.

Unlike those overrated, useless, static-filled cell phones, you never have to even think of the dreaded word "minutes" or dropped phone calls with OV. Your calls are sent through Cablevision's network to ensure reliability. Talk all you want whenever. Receiving your voicemails through emails is ingenious. I don't know if other phone services offer this feature.

Just as with Optimum Online though, I wish that the price wasn't as steep. Even with its current price, the service is indeed worth it.

SEPTEMBER 2004
Enhanced voicemail is Cablevision's best idea ever. When you receive a voicemail, you can be notified via email. Once you get used to this, you will be spoiled. I was never a heavy phone user because of the threat of a high phone bill. Ever since I received Optimum Voice, I've been calling my friends across the country and never worry about a steep bill. Calls are digital with no lag whatsoever.

The only "negative" is the fact that the service operates on power. Honestly, this doesn't worry me one bit because the only power failure that I've ever experienced was the east coast blackout of 2003. The chances of a power failure in my area are very slim.

Before OV, I had Verizon with absolutely no features whatsoever. My phone bill was high even though I didn't make many phone calls. I discovered that surcharges easily added $10-$15 to my bill. I love Optimum Voice's flat rate.

Overall, I've had nothing but a smooth ride with Cablevision thus far. Great broadband with Optimum Online, great satellite service with Voom and now, exceptional phone service with Optimum Voice.

member for 11 years, 2631 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by frogli6 See Profile

• Location: Kings Park,Suffolk,NY
Good "unlimited calling"
Bad "It doesn't work sometimes"
Overall "TRY VONAGE"

10/2012 it is so much better. It just works.

I have now had OptimumVoice for about 4 months. It really started off strong, not a problem at all the first 2 months. Then I started getting all circuits are busy and so did people calling me. Then the outages started. I have had 4 major outages this month including Friday night for 4.5 hours and tonight it has has one way calling all night for about 4 hours so far. My brother has Vonage I should have listened to him.

UPDATE****************

My phone was out for about 17 hours and I just called Cv Cunstomer service and they would only give me a 5% discount. that is $1.75. VONAGE HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 11.1 years, 166 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by NYC Girl See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Excellent, reliable call quality at a fairly resonable price."
Bad "Not as many calling features and less cost effective than pure VoIP companies."
Overall "Excellent Call Quality, never had any issues whatsoever, more expensive than pure VoIP; however, you get what you pay for."

UDATED 10/19/11: OK, you win Optimum, I am back!!! Can't beat your call quality and reliability. Also, doesn't hurt to receive a new triple-play deal!!! But watch your back, I might break up with you again!!

------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 9/26/11:

I have since switched to VoiPo as they are more cost effective and provide great service. Love the personal attention I receive with email and phone inquiries. Optimum was good except you could not make ANY international calls unless you subscribed to their Optimum Voice World for an additional 19.99 per month for a whopping 250 minutes!!!!! I wanted to call a friend visiting Italy with an international calling card; Optimum wouldn't even allow THAT so I had to use my cell phone with the calling card which was very cumbersome. Oh well, so long Optimum Voice!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________

I moved from Harlem (upper Manhattan) to the South Bronx so I had no choice but to subscribe to Optimum Voice since Time Warner Cable's Digital Voice is not available here. I prefer not to experiment with any of the indy VoIP services that are current out there. If I have a problem with OV I can have someone come to my home to fix it. I wasn't going to have anything to do with Verizon other than my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry. Verizon land line service is too expensive with their line subscriber charges and the like; I can't bear to go back to their phone service, I cringe just viewing their bundled packages online.

I am currently subscribed to their first time customer triple play package at 29.99 for phone, internet, and television in addition to subscribing to BOOST (30megs up, 5megs down). I almost didn't get the triple play promotion pricing due to the fact that 12 and 18 years ago (might as well be 100 years ago) when I lived in CT I had Cablevision. The customer service representative told me that I was not eligible for the promotion because of this as I was not a new customer and their is no statute of limitation as to how long ago I was a customer of Cablevision (jeeze). Optimum Voice and Optimum Online was not around then - definitely not Optimum Voice!! I just called customer service and got another representative and he was kind enough to ask his supervisor (without me asking for him) about this and the pricing was adjusted, thank goodness!!

The installation went very well; the technician was quick and knew what he was doing. The Motorolla Surfboard Digital Voice modem for Optimum Online and Optimum Voice was installed on my computer.

I have excellent, reliable call quality, better than Digital Voice and less expensive with many free calling features included in the price. I love getting an email / text when I have a new voice message from my home phone. It would be great if they included the voicemail call-in number on the email / text so I can dial the number directly from my BB. With Optimum Rewards the monthly price can be as low as 19.99 per month.

Comments:

Review by RustyTheDog See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Price and Features and Reliability"
Bad "Power failures"
Overall "Can't be beat for the price."

Placed my order for OV and the same day called Verizon to release the PIC on my POTS line so my phone number could be ported. The day before my original OV installation date, they called to say that Verizon still would not release the number. Had to wait an additional week, but this is not OV's fault.

Installation took about 10 minutes. Because I had already had Vonage at one point, I had already installed a dedicated wall jack to back-feed the whole house.

I had dial tone and my number ported correctly! I was a happy camper.

The only problem I had so far was an afternoon of dropped/missed calls because of a service disruption of some type. Not sure what it was, but it resolved itself.

I should note that I am really paying $34.95/month but as part of the deal I have with Cablevision, I get a $20 monthly credit for LIFE if I keep all of the services the same. So my net is really paying $14.95/month. Much better than the $55 I was paying with Verizon after all of those ridiculous fees and taxes.

Update: After several years, I think that above was the only time I lost service that wasn't due to a power failure. I'd say they ROCK! Oh, I just did

Comments:

Review by StreetSpirit See Profile

• Location: Roslyn,Nassau,NY
Good "Stability, Caller ID on TV, Two way calling, Voicemail, Good Voice Quality (Far better than Vonage)"
Bad "It's getting expensive; you must subscribe to Cablevision OOL which is a review in it's own right."
Overall "If your modem connection is stable and doesn't reset often, you'll enjoy the service. I do!"

·Optimum Online
We've had OV since 2006. Here are some highlights of the service:

Caller ID on TV
Configuration via TV (IO Channel 630) or website.
Call Waiting w/ Caller ID
Busy Redial (I love this for getting through to offices and such)
Call Return (*69)
3 Way Calling
Anonymous Call Blocking
Call Forwarding with "Find Me" feature (another one I often use)
Voicemail is also pretty cool. You can get your voicemail via email or via the web, or the old fashioned way.
411 is free, quick and very accurate.
911 service is via E911.

You can port in your telephone number from Verizon but Cablevision charge a $40 dollar porting fee (show me any service today without spurious fees!)

The cost unfortunately has been increasing due to Cablevision reducing the amount of discount applied to a user's bill. Obviously I've exhausted every triple play deal, and rely on Cablevision discounts to knock a few dollars off my bill. Recently, I count OV as having gone up $5 dollars to $25 due to a lowering of a discount.

If you have OOL and never had it before, you can get it for $19.99 a month for a year.

I use it in Long Island with OOL Boost and iO.

Installation was fairly easy, but still took three visits. The first tech (obviously a contractor) replaced my Motorola 5100 modem that worked flawlessly with a Scientific Atlanta modem that did have an RJ11 output, but didn't work and had what I later diagnosed to be a Ringer Equivalency (REN) problem. It would ring once and generate a second "anemic" ring. Besides this it reset on the internet side every 20 minutes!

The first technician also rewired my jacks, and messed up the job by connecting the wrong set of wires even though I asked him to use the second pair.

I called Cablevision and had a tech the next day who brought the wrong modem. By then I fixed the wiring (took 2 minutes to pop the box and rewire it). The second fellow came late and brought the wrong modem to boot.

By this time I had lost a full day of work, so I decided to have the next guy come on Saturday. Third guy was the charm and installed a Motorola SBv5020 modem. At the time I ordered, there was no self install option available for OV, or I would've gladly done it myself.

However, it's now worked without fault for 4 years or so! My family has been very happy with the service and since my modem goes down maybe once a year, it's no different than a POTS line in terms of reliability. The rising price is a detriment however.

----
Update

1/16/2011 We still have Optimum Voice and have not had any problems. As my modem at home resets maybe once every year (very rare).

My wife loves the caller-id on screen and being able to get her voicemails from a smartphone on the road. Combined, I pay about 160 p/month , apx 90 for the TV side and 70 for Boost/OV.

I still HIGHLY recommend OV if your modem is stable and does not loose sync (reset). If it does, your phone line will go out every time your modem does. This doesn't include slowdowns, but only disconnections. Slowdowns aren't really serious as OV dedicates ~128kilobit with high priority QOS for telephony packets.

Hope this review helps!

member for 12.2 years, 5468 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by sharksfan3 See Profile

• Location: Poughkeepsie,Dutchess,NY
Good "Great quality, Fantastic customer service, Good price (when bundled)"
Bad "More expensive than Vonage"
Overall "Good quality service for the monday."

After years of Vonage and 12 months of TWC Voip, Optimum Voice is a breath of fresh air. Voice quality is suburb and customer service is unmatched. Faxes have a 100% completion rate.

A battery backup for the modem is provided FREE OF CHARGE for business customers. Backup time is around 6 hours.

My services were installed less than 24 hours after the order was placed.

member for 10.7 years, 3266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lyokian159 See Profile

• Location: Garden City,Nassau,NY
Good "Great Quality and Pricing. 13 Calling Features"
Bad "None that I can find"
Overall "Great Service"

When it was installed the Cablevision tech replaced my Scientific Atlanta DPC2203C due to not being able to get a phone connection. He replaced it with a Motorola SBV 5222. When he left I discovered that this modem was suffering huge packet loss and terrible speeds on Optimum Online. After a call to Cablevision tech support another free service appointment was placed to replace the modem. I received a Scientific Atlanta DPX2203 which is on par with my previous SciAtlanta modem. Overall I have been very pleased with the Quality of both the service and the technical support.

Comments:

Review by njsurfer See Profile

• Location: Wood Ridge,Bergen,NJ
Good "Voice Quality is very good, Nice"
Bad "Caller id sketchy"
Overall "Very happy and much lower monthly than Verizon POTS Service"

I have been very happy with the service. Like the ability to forward the phone from a web page. I would be nice if they had a less graphically accessible web page to allow me to change phone options from my mobile phone.

Continue to have no issues....voice quality is good.

update - 12/22/08 - Had some call quality issues and they replaced the cable from my house to the local pole. Since then all has been good. Continue to like all the features and functions.

Comments:

Review by piggygirl See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Very clear"
Bad "expensive without triple-play"
Overall "only got it for the triple-play package"

·VOIPO
More features would be nice..like filters.

Best part--very clear

Comments:

Review by cowboyro See Profile

• Location: Bridgeport,Fairfield,CT
Good "Crystal-clear sound, free long distance, all features"
Bad "They re-adjusted the international calling package"
Overall "I love it"

I've had OV for over 1 year now, absolutely no issue. I've had international calling when the package was 500min@$20/month, dumped it when they reduced to 250 min. Otherwise it's all good. E911 worked the one time I needed it. I'll stick with them as long as they don't raise the price.

Update 08/2008: With regret I had to leave OV as I moved to a place not covered by Cablevision. Comcast wants $40 for unlimited voice, no thank you... I'd rather increase my cellphone plan a bit if needed, I don't talk on the phone so much.

member for 14.1 years, 2823 visits, last login: a few hours ago