VoicePulse page on DSLReports

Review by juiceisloose See Profile

• Location: Owosso,Shiawassee,MI
Good "Low price, pretty good quality"
Bad "Unreliable, tech support unresponsive, inconsistent"
Overall "Would not recommend at this point"

Longstanding customer (8 years) - not that this means anything to VoicePulse. Initially was great alternative to Vonage who was the primary VOIP player at the time. Reliability has faded over the years and tech support's responsiveness has been unbearable (issues take forever to resolve, sometimes they are not ever resolved, slow follow up or no follow up).

- Dropped calls
- Voicemail inaccessible
- Inconsistent call quality

Communicated my dissatisfaction multiple times to no avail. Finally looking elsewhere, but now there are dozens of providers so it may take some work. Either way my VoicePulse days are numbered and it is time to go.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Many good choices

I suspect that many people would agree with you that VoicePulse is not what it once was at least for the residential market.

In terms of looking around, some choices:

For full-service equivalent companies you could look at "Voipo" or PhonePower.

For BYOD companies, CallCentric (which I personally recommend), Voip.MS, Anveo.

Future-Nine offers BYOD as well as a device-supplying option.

Review by swintec See Profile

• Location: Alfred,York,ME
Good "Tech Support, Call Quality and Features"
Bad "Wish they had some new features..."
Overall "This Company is THE VoIP company"

March 2014- Service is still fantastic even after all of these years.

December 2011 Update- Voicepulse is still great! I do see a bit of a hit on quality since they moved their systems, but overall a great service still.

March 2010 Update- What can I say, everything still just works, and that's what you want in a VoIP company. I am coming up on my 5 year anniversary with them and I can count how many service issues I have had with them on one hand.

UPDATE- 5-02-08- Service continues to be top notch, I now have two lines with them. Only thing I wish is that they rolled out at least ONE new feature...but I guess if thats the worse I can come up with, it really is a non-issue.

UPDATE- 7-05-06- Still have Voicepulse and I am right at my 1 year mark for service with them. They are still what a VoIP company should be. Have not had any real outages this year. The feature set has remained the same however since I signed on with them, I wish they would roll out at least one or two new features at some point. One good thing, I now have 911 service. All emergency calls get forwarded to my local dispatch center. I believe most of Voicepulses coverage area has 911 service now. Tech support is top notch with any questions you may have, THEY actually call YOU to make sure all issues and questions are addressed. When was the last time a company did that? Bottom line, they are the Cadillac of VoIP service. Once we ditched Verizon, we never looked back.

I looked over many VoIP companies over the course of a year as they started to pop up and none could offer me Line porting for my Maine number. Then low and behold back in June, voicepulse showed they could do it. So i signed up for there service ASAP. Sign up went smoothly online through there site and the forms to start the LNP were emailed quickly once I called and asked for them. Adapter arrived in about 3 days. Plugged in and away I went. Porting my number took about 3 weeks, not bad at all. The original adapter went bad so i had to deal with tech support quite a bit while they troubleshooted it over the phone and finally agreed to send a new one. Credit for the original took quite awhile but eventually happened. Now with new adapter I am cooking right along on there local unlimited plan. Don't let the word "local" make it sound like nothing, there local calling areas tend to be entire area codes, and I also get 200 minutes for anywhere else in the country. Plenty for this house. 911 is non existent as of now but i assume in time it will be implemented because of the FCC. This company also offers one of the better feature sets out there. The telemarketer block is priceless. Overall, you can not go wrong.

member for 10.8 years, 5394 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by innoman See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Great quality, tons of features, quick tech support"
Bad "Given up on encryption...."
Overall "Excellent service."

11/13/2012 - I've had the service for years now, I think around 8, and it works perfectly. If you want great service for a reasonable price, go with VoicePulse.

8/10/2010 I just moved to Dallas, TX and had my previous virtual number (It was my number when I originally got VP but moved and had it set as the virtual number to have a local number in my new area) switched to a local Dallas number. There were no fees to do this. I can't really remember the last time I had an issue with my service. Things acted weird for a few days because they were doing some sort of upgrade. Everything still worked, I just had to reconfigure my simul-ring again.

you really can't beat the price or the features!

____________________
10/18/2009So, I have had the service for about 5+ years I guess, and it works flawlessly. I would comment on how quick tech support is to respond; however, I never need them. My mom and a few of my friends have the service now and also are quite pleased. It would be nice to see some updated features, etc.; however, I am happy with what I have.

If you are trying to decide what to go with... Get VoicePulse. If you want a free month of service, msg me and I will gladly refer you. I still have my SPA-2100 but I think they are going with newer devices now. I have no need for a landline because they are full E911 compliant. I also have my mobile (just in case the power goes out).

______________________
Previous posts:
-----------------------

I ordered my SPA2000 from voxilla and did second day. It shipped same day and it took voiceuplse about 18 hours to provision my account... Maybe less after signing up for it. You have to wait until you get your device to set your account on VP up. I am really happy with my decision to get service with VP, I only wish they had LNP. They told me it would be a couple months before they start, but they are going to offer it in the near future. And you can not beat the price!

UPDATE
LNP (Local Number Portability) is in progress for my old line. It is not officially being offered, but they are doing it for me. VoicePulse seems to be growing fairly rapidly. I rarely have any issues, and the ones I do are usually ISP related. (The cable signal is not the best at certain times of the day... They are supposed to be fixing that.) The price is so good that I hardly even notice paying for it every month. I would recommend this to anyone.

Another Update...
LNP took a little while but that was over a year ago... I am totally satisfied with the service. There is 911 coverage but not E911 in my area I guess; my cellphone offers E911 anyway and we have a wired line (my roomies company pays for that). I would recommend VP to anyone and actually have to several of my friends who are also satisfied. NO FAKE FEES/TAXES!!

Yet another... I never have any issues anymore, it is as reliable as VoIP can be. Which for me seems to be around 100%! It's cheap and has pretty much everything a person could think of.

member for 12.4 years, 3061 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by josephf See Profile

Good "When it works right, its good."
Bad "When it doesn't work right, its a problem."
Overall "Good when it works but problematic when not."

My number one priority in seeking a VoIP provider to port my POTS landline to was quality. Second was price. Based on quality reviews and price comparison VoicePulse was the winner. And it was a great choice.

I chose the Local + 200 package, as 95 % of my calls are within the Metropolitan New York area, and it is unlimited with the plan priced at $14.95/month. The 200 long distance minutes included with that plan generally more than cover my usage for such.

The order for service went smooth. Although I considered accepting a device from VoicePulse, I happened to use my own device (PAP2T-NA) so I wouldn't need to return it upon discontinuing service (whenever that may occur; there is no commitments/contracts with VoicePulse.) I placed the order over the weekend, and received the instructions for service when there office opened the following Monday. (Somehow I hadn't received it via e-mail.)

After having the service for a few days, and noting it functioning well for both voice quality and service, I ported my wireline number from a CLEC (in a Verizon ILEC region). The port was completed precisely 7 days after requesting it from VoicePulse. And service thus far has been near landline quality.

8/31/09, 11/17/09: All's well that runs well. Nothing but satisfaction with VP.

6/27/10: A++

1/30/11: A++

3/15/11: A++

11/19/11: A++

3/1/13: Service went downhill over past 1+ year, with all sorts of annoying issues cropping up. Tech support was always very helpful in attempting to resolve the issues. But at the end of the day the solutions did not fix the issue over the long (or short) term.

Service moved over to Google Voice via an Obi device.

member for 5.4 years, 2239 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Cheap with a lot of features"
Bad "If you don't care that the phone might not work they are for you"
Overall "Intermittant service. Down 1-3 times a month for 1-3 days at a time"

I have had voice pulse for over a year.
At least once a month for over a day each time I am unable to call out
due to a fast busy.
I open so called "tickets" but they take their time getting back to you.
Right now today I have been without a phone for 2 days and counting...
You open a ticket and get no ticket number or email acknowledging they
have opened a ticket.
Their own support site admits the following:
"
*Not seeing your old incidents?*
VoicePulse is in the process of migrating to a new customer relationship
management system. During this migration, you may not see some of your
older tickets via the account center.
"
I would have SEVERAL "old incidents"...
If you don't mind intermittent service then this is the company for you!
I about ready to ditch them.

(review was emailed from domain bryanalbers.com)

Comments:

VexorgTR

I've heard similar......

You're not alone. I've heard other similar stories. Nobody is perfect I guess, but I guess VP is having a rough go lately.

Review by mm See Profile

• Location: Summerville,Dorchester,SC
Good "Great filters using caller id name"
Bad "Unreliable chronic issues"
Overall "Totally unreliable, I have to use my cell for most calls"

I have been with voice pulse for about 3 years and these last 8 months it's been frustrating. Constant Voice Mail issues and calls not getting connected to me. They have great customer service but with these chronic issues the service has become too unreliable since that 2010 summer meltdown last year.

I also have many complaints from the other end of the conversation that the voice quality is poor, on my end it sounds fine. I use FIOS as my provider which is great for low latency numbers so I doubt that is the problem. The complaints started after the meltdown.

My last conversation with customer service left me feeling they really don't care. I was disappointed that they just want to pass the buck and blame YouMail. They picked YouMail and it's their partner and they need a better communication between the companies and stop pointing fingers and just fix the issues.

2/2012 update

Things have calmed down with the voice mail issues. I still have some voice quality issues. I tend to use my iPad with TalkaTone to make outgoing calls and most of my friends tell me it sounds better than Voice Pulse.

9/2012 update

Voice mail indicators are getting worse, it's basically useless. Last night my phone would ring and nobody was there. I called my own number, it would go to voice mail after one ring and my VP phone was still ringing. Pickup and nobody was there. Calling support these days is a waste of time. No after hours support either. They were down a few weeks ago around 9pm at night and they don't even know it or resolve the problem until the next day. This service feels like it's run out of someone's garage.

11/2012

Pulled the plug. Message waiting indicators still not working. The usual routing issues came back and most calls inbound were dead space. My friends kept calling me on my cell. It just was not worth opening another ticket with these guys, yes they would fix it, but wait a week and the problems come back. They don't know how to permanently resolve the problems.

I switched to VOIP.ms. Easy config. So far no issues.

member for 13.5 years, 5003 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

Eek

Sounds like it might be time to make a change. East Coast provider CallCentric comes to mind as a good option.

mm
I Did It My Way
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
·VoicePulse

Re: Eek

One feature I want that seems to be an issue is call blocking by callerid. With VP I can setup a rule to block calls with words in the callerid. For example I have a rule with the word 'research' and that sends all those calls to the dark hole. I really don't want to give up this feature, it saves me a lot of headache not getting all those BS calls everyday.

But I do want to drop Voice Pulse. I was looking at VOIPo but they don't offer the blocking I want.

jimk
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC

Re: Eek

VOIPo allows for call blocking by caller ID. Many BYOD providers including (but not limited to) VoIP.ms and Callcentric also allow you to block or re-route calls based on Caller ID.

mm
I Did It My Way
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
·VoicePulse

said by jimk:

VOIPo blocks by CallerID number which they all do. Very few block by CallerID name.

Sheffield Lake, OH
What draws you to VOIPo? I only consider them mediocre in a pool of many excellent carriers.
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Re: Eek

VOIPo provides good quality service at very good prices, especially for the customers who don't want BYOD.

Review by bigpapae35 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Easy Install, Price, Web Interface"
Bad "multiple service issues, long time to initiate calls, flaky unrealible service"
Overall "Works right out of the box"

·Callcentric
Updated 9/20/2012

I am having multiple issues with voicepulse service, and techsupport fixes those issues, but the next day issues come back.

1) calls take a long time to initiate compared to other voip providers- 3-4 seconds longer on average

2) sometimes calls take over 45 seconds to report busy signals

3) service has been unreliable in the last year, calls do not go through with fast busy signal when service is down

I love their web interface, but my boss has been killing me about the unreliability.

Updated 5/13/2005

Now that I have had the service for a little longer, I feel comfortable reccomending Voicepulse to all my friends and family. For $15/month you cannot go wrong. My service has gotten better recently since I switched to Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic), much more relaible than Optimum Online cable internet, lower ping times, and no packet loss. I would reccomed anyone who wants to use VOIP service to first to try to obtain FIOS, if thats not available I would go for cable broadband service, and then the last choice would be DSL (unless you can get DSL with fast ping times)

Most people dont realize the problem they have with their voip are sometimes attributed to their broadband providers service. I only kept one of my lines with them cause for some strange reason the number my alarm system would dial would not go through with voicepulse. I called voicepulse many times but they were not able to do anything. But no big deal, I am very happy with the one line that I have with them now.

8/9/2004

I have had service for only one day so far but I am very pleased, I reduced my monthly phone bill from $100 for two lines down to $15 per line plus taxes. Sound quality and customer service are great. I put in a number portability change and they told me it will take 2 weeks to process (not their fault, thats just how long the process takes). The Sipura device is great, it handles two voice lines, and the options and features that Voicepulse offer are enormous, but laid out in a very easy to understand and put into laymans terms. I set up two lines and they work perfectly fine, sound quality does not degrade when I upload or download large files. I would reccomend buying a router that supports QOS so you can set the bandwith for this device which is about 80kb per line, so I set mine up for 160kb.

Comments:

Review by PCInTech See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Stable service, Excellent Voice, Full Suite of Features!"
Bad "None whatsoever!"
Overall "If you want the absolute BEST, this is the one."

·VOIPO
I was with another service that started rapidly going downhill in the stability department and lagging behind providing features that were important to me. Mostly, I wanted, aside from basic reliability, 7 digit dialing, Caller ID with Name, voice mail that WORKED and a LOCAL telephone number, so that friends and family wouldn't have to call a city, long distance, 2 1/2 hrs. away. I bought a Sipura 2000 from Voxzilla, and it came with a coupon for a FREE trial from VoicePulse with all activation charges waived. I decided to try something different and give it a try. They activated me immediately, and gave me a LOCAL number in my town. Much to my amazement, I was TOTALLY blown away. It was as different as night and day from the other service! I not only had the features I wanted, but every conceivable telephone feature possible. Check out their feature list, and you'll see what I mean, as I couldn't possibly list them all here. They ALL work. Perfectly. We've totally forgotten that we're even on VoIP at all! It works that well. After a few months, I ordered another number with their Open Access Plan, in another area code where I have friends for only $5.00 a month. There's no "junk fees" added onto their rates, like my former service started adding. Everything works as advertised, customer support is STELLAR, and in New Jersey, USA with knowledgeable, efficient staffing. They've made a BIG FAN out of me, and I heartily recommend VoicePulse to ANYONE wanting VoIP service that's painless, and does everything it's supposed to do... just like the wired POTS service you're used to. It's companies like VoicePulse that will bring VoIP into the mainstream, and make 100 year old telco technology obsolete.

UPDATE 08/17/05: The service continues to be SPECTACULAR. I've since added an Open Access line on another Sipura. Their support people are highly helpful and extremely friendly, resolving problems with efficiency. There have been a couple of minor system outages for some subscribers, but only one affected me. Having been with other providers, I don't have a problem with this... as I know it could be MUCH worse. Call quality is perfect, features work INCREDIBLY well and the price is right. We really have totally forgotten that we're not on POTS, it's that reliable.

UPDATE 12/13/05: Recent upgrade to Voicemail system has certainly made the service flawless. I've recommended VP to several others over the last few months after they've tried other services, and they share my enthusiasm. Their customer service and tech support continues to be top notch, as well.

UPDATE 02/18/06: I suppose I'm just spoiled! I can't imagine VoIP service being any better than this. Outstanding reliability, support and call quality. You can't ask for anything more than those things, worth every penny!

UPDATE 05/11/06: Service continues to be solid as a rock. I can't possibly wish for anything more than what VoicePulse offers. It's not #1 in customer ratings for nothing! Perhaps my only wish is that there was some kind of customer referral incentive, as I've signed MANY people up to the service. :-( Maybe Ravi could spring for a nice high end two line multi handset phone?

UPDATE 12/12/06: VP is BORING! No outages, perfect quality, no drama, no problems, no glitches, nothing to tinker with. Just perfect phone service, period. I have forgotten what it was like to have problems with a telephone. It's just always there. Thank you for being the BEST, VoicePulse! I have recommended to MANY people and they are ALL as enthusiastic as I am.

UPDATE 02/16/07: For longevity and reliability, they have NO peer. This IS THE VoIP service for consumer telephone. I've recommended even more folks to them, and they are SO happy to have ditched their former service. You don't know how good the technology can be until you've lived with VoicePulse in your home. Switching to VP was the best decision I've ever made in my life... but don't tell my wife that... she thinks it's marrying HER.

UPDATE 07/18/07: No drama, no outages, no problems, ever. It just works! Everyone I've recommended to VP has been 100% satisfied, particularly the ones that were lured into "bargain basement" fly-by-night deals that gave away free phones, promised the World and never delivered. The English-speaking, US-based, knowledgeable techs are the best, bar none. In my house, it's just "the phone". VP would be a bargain at any price! I've even forgotten how long I've been with them, could be 3, 4 years. I forget. It's just perfect.

UPDATE 01/24/08: The lack of stimulating drama continues. (YAWN!) It's a full-featured phone. It just plain works. "If you've tried the rest... try the BEST, VoicePulse!" That's about all I can add to everything else I've said in previous reviews. Love it!

UPDATE 08/05/08: My 5th year with VoicePulse! Again, there is NOTHING at all that I can say that I haven't already. It's the BEST, PERIOD. I wouldn't switch to another service even if they GAVE it to me for FREE! (They'd have to PAY me, actually, on top of FREE service... )

UPDATE 02/12/09: VoicePulse continues to impress beyond belief. Their techs will bend over backwards to assist in even the most minor problems. Don't even think about toying around with the latest "VoIP du Jour". This is as good as phone service gets, period. I only wish there were ratings higher then 5 for this service.

UPDATE 01/18/10: VoicePulse continues to satisfy beyond my wildest expectations. The best customer service, and stellar voice quality. I don't know why everyone doesn't have VP. The best.

UPDATE 11/08/10: VP is the best. Features keep improving, and the addition of YouMail Pro as a Voicemail provider sweetens the deal. Customer service is still the envy of the industry.

UPDATE 08/08/2012: Still a happy camper. Economic situation has forced me to downgrade to Local Unlimited and drop my second number, but service is perfection.

member for 10.3 years, 4273 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by HD_Ride See Profile

• Location: Jerseyastan
Good ".."
Bad ".."
Overall ".."

....

member for 14 years, 4918 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by isuelt See Profile

• Location: Dearborn,Wayne,MI
Good "Cheap, many feature available"
Bad "UNREIABLE SERVICE, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Overall "more than once had issues getting problems resolved, Finally took my business elsewhere"

Had the service for 6 years 10 months. Most of the time it was okay, not great. For the price and features it was a good value. BUT, when I had problems they we're slow to respond, difficult to get them to fix issues and a times just rude.

I had 3 lines with them first on a residual cable modem then on a dual service business connection. QOS properly configured through a central router. Many time people complained about the call quality. Then I had an ATA adapter go bad that they didn't believe me about. They shipped a replacement new (USED) adapter WITHOUT A POWER ADAPTER. Then delayed in fixing that problem. Started getting DMTF tones on calls and their FIX made it worse. I waited as they told me they were working on the issue, but after 2.5 months of lame or NO response I cancelled my account.

Even if I have to pay more, that's fine. The call quality and reliability need to be there!