VoicePulse page on DSLReports

Review by shandiz See Profile

• Location: 20344
Good "fairly easy to install"
Bad "bad call quality, no 911, web site is terrible"
Overall "stay away from this provider"

My experience with Voicepulse has not been good.

Calls are chopped up, even though I have plenty of bandwidth up and download. I have had frequent outages, some are shown here. Other outages seem to only hit me. Tech support has been trying to be helpful, but they seem clueless. My issue was escalated to the engineering department, but they have not followed up and I have been having issues for almost 5 months now.

I was told by the sales people that E911 would have to be available by the end of November. I bought service because of that promise, but it did not pan out. Then I was told that Intrado would have it ready by January 31st, they even sent me an email about it. I feel lied to about this. I was sold service with false promises.

I am done with Voicepulse and have to say that I have to warn others about them, that I can't recommend them AT ALL. Maybe my own personal experience, but it has been a nightmare dealing with them.

Comments:

Review by dakota76usa See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Frederick,VA
Good "None"
Bad "Placed order and never received service,"
Overall "Too long to receive service, bypass Voicepulse"

I placed an order for the service because of it's high marks on DSL reports. A week went bye with no further notification that my order was being processed aside from the original email. I called and spoke with customer service; after being on hold for over 10 minutes they explained that they were having issues verifying addresses for their new E911 enhancement and it was delaying service. I waited a couple of more days and still got nothing, I called customer service again and waited again for at least 10 minutes for someone to pick-up. Cancelled service and asked for full refund. If you're not in any kind of hurry, they might be alright but if used to service in a timely manner, look elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by olsakov See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Easy setup, good inbound sound quality"
Bad "Choppy outbound voice, no 24/7 support"
Overall "Stay away"

It looks like I belong to a small number of users who have poor call quality with VP. I can hear the other party really well, but people have hard time understanding me because of choppy outbound voice.

I’ve been following up on this issue with VoicePulse techs for quite some time. After multiple tests and tweaks that I’ve done for them, they escalated this issue to the engineering department. I have not heard back from the engineering department since.

I have Comcast cable connection with the speed 3000K down / 256 up (real numbers from dsl reports are around 2100K down / 180K up). This should be enough for VOIP to work. In fact, I am using another VOIP provider (with soft phone) for calls to Europe, and the quality is much better.

I also used Lingo at some point, and their quality was also _much_ better. Then I wanted to have caller ID with name, which was not provided by Lingo, so I switched to VoicePulse. I guess I was one of their last customers before they stopped accepting new clients due to FCC regulation.

Customer support is OK, but lack of 24/7 support is irritating. Fortunately you can work with them trough website or e-mail, which is more convenient than sitting on the phone.

Well, other people are giving the rave reviews to VoicePulse, so please take my feedback with a grain of salt. This might be VP + ISP combination that creates the problem. However it is my expectation, that VP should be able at least to pinpoint the problem even if they cannot fix it.

I will follow up on the development of my support ticket.

Comments:

Review by Grenelntrn See Profile

• Location: Lincroft,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Price, Features"
Bad "Consistency, Customer service"
Overall "Wish I still had a pots line !!"

VoicePulse is still a mess. I don't know who the users are that are having such a good go of it, but I have had it with them. Customer Service now doesn't even respond to emails. Tones during calls, calls dropped, voice mail cuts off messages, echo's shall I go on. I hate to dump Voip, but I can't rely on them.

See Ya ...........

I did alot of reading about Voip, and came up with VoicePulse as one of the leaders in quality and service. I decided to try it and hope for the best.

I have been a VoicePule customer since January 2005. I have had many issues that still have not been resolved. Needless to say I am not happy and can't wait until my "contract" expires.

I am not a seasoned techie, but I do know a bit about how Voip should work. The setup was easy and the Sipura was up and running almost immediatly. I plugged it into my home master line and we were off and running on all phones.

The quality of calls has not changed since the first day, I have tried every suggestion made by VP to get the quality better to no avail. Echos, intermittant key tones heard by incoming callers, staggered drop outs, and constant issues with my router settings that cause outages. I have to unplug the router and reset it to get connected again.

I have a Netgear WGT624 V.2 and have upgraded to the highest firmware version available. I have no drop out issues with my 4 home PC's hooked up wired and wireless which tells me its not a Comcast issue, and the router is working fine.

Luckily, I have second line (pots) I kept just in case. When my service is out my calls are forwarded to that line. It must bounce three times a week.
I have been trying everything to get this working properly, the tech support people are friendly enough (when they are in, they close at 7pm eastern Mon-Fri) but they just don't seen to spend the time, or have the knowlege to help a somewhat novice.

I truly wish I could get this thing to work better. The price and features are great, but who cares about them when the service keeps going in and out.

Comments:

Review by stevie_g See Profile

• Location: Ontario,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Fast signup"
Bad "Can't cancel account"
Overall "Bad phone results and bad customer service results in cancelation"

Signing up, and getting the equipment was no problem with VoicePulse. However, if you were considering replacing your phone with this VOIP provider, it's time to move on. When I first tried to connect, I had choppy reception. After some router tweaking, the service improved but still with unacceptable breaks when calling long distance. Local calls seemed to work better, but still were choppy after about 3-5 minutes.

The kicker though is tring to cancel. They won't let you cancel without 'brining your account current', which for me meant a nice double billing despite their billing errors. Billing can't be contacted via phone, and sending email to correct a bill while they continue to charge the account is not an acceptable situation. It's the only option they give you though.

Bottom line, don't go with these people unless you're willing to put up with sub-standard VOIP -- choppy connections for local and worse for long distance. Then cancel as soon as possible otherwise you may fall victim to billing mistakes.

Comments:

Review by truconsumer7 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "pricing plan"
Bad "terrible quality of service, horrible support, the worst billing"
Overall "BEWARE. Horrible little company. Service is down frequently!"

Specifically-

I purchased an SPA-2000 from Voxilla and from the start, the service was difficult to setup. I chose the service because of its quality awards. I now know they don't mean a thing as far as this company.

It took a 45-minute second level support call to setup the service because it needed a firmware DOWNGRADE which the company does not enable you to do on your own. This was just the beginning of my troubles with this company.

Frequent outages and an echo sound made the voice quality pretty bad. I have one of the best phones from Panasonic and I upgraded to 3Mbps DSL service, so I know these to be a problem from Voicepulse. Frequently incoming calls would go straight to voicemail when I had not configured them to do so. So I called their tech support. Each call took 40-50 minutes and never solved the problem. After a few months of wasted time and poor quality, I decided to make the switch to Vonage.

Voicepulse has made porting my number next to impossible and now say they won't allow my number to be ported. I had to continue paying for a service I wasn't using while the porting process has been going on. Which brings me to billing...

They have no clue when it comes to billing. They don't and say they can't prorate billing, but that's a crock since they can issue credits...not rocket science but I guess these guys are just difficult. The last couple months I have simply fwd the incoming calls to my vonage phone so it is only a local fwd, but the stupid company charged me for all incoming calls. They admit this mistake and say they will correct my bill for the past couple months, but this gives you insight into how inadequate their billing policies and system are.

Save yourself the headache. STAY AWAY from this company.

Vonage offers better service, better support, and will be in business much longer than these guys. On top of that, Vonage offers the same pricing plans.

Comments:

Review by jlong1965 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Great Features,"
Bad "They have HUGE problems with their providers"
Overall "They have to have a better infrastructure if people are going to rely on them."

I will go two weeks at a time with 0 problems, then something happens to their voicemail, or one of their upstream line providers and my phone system becomes crap. They will never send an e-mail saying their is a problem you must wait to figure it out on your own or waste time logging on to their web site. I really like this company to bad they cannot add some things to their system to give the end user more uptime. BY THE WAY THEY HAVE A CURE FOR THAT. They have suggested that I keep a regular land line for backup of their system... Ouch! They sure know how to build confidence and loyalty.

After the last problem they had and where I did not get my voicemail for 5 days I told them I wanted to cancel, but they did not think that was a good enough reason to let me out of my contract. I have now used 2 VOIP services (Vonage being the other) both have pros and cons Vonage however has better up time, 911, and my fax works....

Comments:

Review by XPat See Profile

• Location: Fort Myers,Lee,FL
Good "My desired area code, 7 digit dial, many great features."
Bad "Flaky service, difficult install, lackadaisical support"
Overall "I hated it. Wouldn't recommend to anyone."

I went with a Sipura 2000 from Buy dot Com with 1 month Voicepulse service free. I went on line and the sign up procedure was simple. Got my number, followed the procedure outlined in the e-mail and waited for dial tone, but none was forthcoming. I don't know how many times I rebooted the SPA but I had no luck with VP. I did however have no trouble whatsoever with port #2 which I configured to my European Voip service.

I tried to use VP's "new" support system, but could not get anything but an Internal Server Error window. When support FInally was there (M-F 9 A.M. - 7 P.M. EST -- Ridiculous in my opinion) the first thing they want done is t connect the SPA directly to the Cable modem. This was not something I could easily do as the network I have and the one I was on at that time was always busy with other VoIP services, business related and several other computers running businesses. When the network was not busy, VP support was not there, at least officially.

After several frustrating days, I finally sent VP an e-mail with my public IP address and the next morning I got an email from VP that all should be in order and the phone should work. It did.....6 days later.

Later when we had finally moved to our final destination and I had my network set up and the phone that I wanted was on the SPA, there was a problem with Caller ID. None was showing up. I emailed support and opened a ticket. That did little to help as I usually just got an email back with a slew of questions that needed to be answered before they would even think of "helping." I complained that their support system did not work, and they did fix that.

I finally just started calling and spoke to a couple of different people. They were nice but not too interested in my problem. It took me more than 2 weeks of calls (and call backs as they NEVER ONCE called back with updates as they promised) They said the went out and bought the same model phone I had to see if they could replicate my problem. I still don't know if they could. It was NOT a probelm with the phone. I switched phones from my (wife's) Vonage which has no problem with CID and it would not get it on VP, but would on Vonage. I tried 3 different phones. They all got CID on Vonage, but not on VP.

I was getting used to not having Caller ID and just checking the web site for incoming calls, but that was not how VP was supposed to work.

My next BIG problem was when I had to move my equipment around in my office. I finally decided to cancel VP which led to another frustration.

When I set everything back up, the only piece of equipment that would not come back online was the SPA. The cable modem booted up without a problem, my router came up within seconds, the 2 WiFI computers popped on no problem, the networked printer/scanner/fax/Flash Card reader worked right away, my Print Server/Switch came up without a hitch, Vonage came up in 2 seconds, no messing around with it. Just my sad little Sipura SPA-2000 with VoicePulse (and Musimi VoIP) would not boot right. I mucked around and found that I could 60% of the time get it to work IF i shut everything down and brought it all back online in a very specific order - Modem, Router, Printserver/Switch, SPA and then Vonage. But that didn't work every time or I would have to do it several times before VP would work.

Around this time, VP was pushing out new firmware. I Think that exacerbated my problems. The damn staus lamp flashed constantly, but all the documentation stated that the LED would go off after sucessfully booting. It wasn't until many days later that VP put a notice on their web site that there was a glitch with the LED.

Mostly when I rebooted the SPA, it would flash the LED like it was provisioning itself, but then the lamp would go into a weird 'double blink - pause - double blink - pause' mode and the SPA would be dead. I could usually but not always get to the menu and every other time my IP address was right but there was no dial tone on either port.

I finally decided to drop VP and I ordered Packet8. When I went to my account on VP to cancel, there was a 'cancel account' button that would cancel it at once. The page also informed me that if I canceled before the 15th of the month (my invoice date) I would not have to pay the next months service. In the meantime, my Packet8 had arrived so I just put VP into forward mode so I had time to inform people of the number change.

On the 14th of the month in the late evening (it was a friday) I went back to my account to cancel VP, but now there is NO cancel button, and just a terse blurb that I had to call during regular business hours (remember Monday to Friday, 9 - 7) and speak to somebody to cancel.That would mean that I was going to be charged another month for VP.

I was Honked Off! No Way was I going to accept that, so I fired off an e-mail informing VoicePulse that I considered my account closed, paid in full, canceled and dead and that any charges to my credit card (there would be none as I didn't call outside my plan) would be disputed. I also expressed my disappointment in their service, support and spirit.

The next day, I got an email informing me that my account was closed (but any LD charges/out of plan minutes or whatever might still be pending - I had no problem with that as there were none) and that I could expect my SPA to be unlocked within the hour!

'Fine - an hour', I thought, but I didn't really believe it. I waited a day or two, went to the SPA's set up page and of course port 1 was totally locked. I tried a couple of things, but of course with no luck. Port 2 worked fine so I could use my Musimi.

I waited 2 full weeks before calling (I didn't really NEED port 1 right away). In the meantime, My Vonage, my P8 and my Musimi worked like charms. I had to boot the network a couple of times for other reasons and as long as I brought it back up in the correct order, my SPA came back up. I have NEVER had a problem with getting either Vonage (have had it for 2 years now) nor my new Packet8 to boot up within seconds. I don't need to do anything special to get either one to work. I can uplug them and plug them back in and they work. Not VoicePulse though.

When I called after two weeks, I got a hold of a guy I had never talked to before who gave me the password for my device. It did not unlock it as he apparently only had the password for the older firmware. He promised to call me back when the engineers came in (around 10 A.M.) and he could get the password for the new firmware. I didn't believe that he would call back, but he did within a half an hour!! He told me that the unlock script for my SPA was waiting to be DL'd, but that I would probably have to connect the SPA directly to the cable modem. I told him that I would early the next day(saturday) and if there was a problem I would call back on monday.

Well, it turns out that I had a chance to shut down the network later that day, so I did. I watched the SPA DL and then go silent...no more flashing light. I could however STILL not get into Port 1 and the IP was all messed up after I reconnected the network. I re-sat and rebooted and unplugged and sweared and spit for maybe 20 minutes and all of a sudden, Lo And Behold, my Sipura SPA-2000 was unlocked, ready and willing to accept FWD. Took me all of 30 seconds to set up FWD and 30 more to get updated settings for Musimi. Vonage just works.

P8 works, albeit with issues, but that is another story.....

member for 11.5 years, 1359 visits, last login: 221 days ago

Comments:

Review by wrsteve See Profile

• Location: League City,Galveston,TX
Good "Install was very easy"
Bad "Could not make an inbound call weekdays 10:00 am to 3:00 pm - tech support are morons"
Overall "This company is no where near ready to provide service"

I got this service up and running with no problems. The call quality was ok - not great but not bad. I don't call home much during the day as there is no one home in the mornings. The second week I made a call during the day and got an instant fast busy. Tried a few more times and no luck. Called home to a cell phone and they could call out with no problems. Tested more times over the week and about 70% of the day time call would not go through. The fast busy is a no circuits signal. Voicepulse does not have enough inbound circuit on their voice gateways. Their tech support has blamed every thing under the sun. First it was my firewall (there are no timed rules on the firewall - why would it block one minute and let the call in the next?). Then it was my bandwidth (I am in a fiber enabled neighborhood - 100mg single mode ethernet connection straight to the house). The last thing I heard from them was the problem was Level3's backbone between NYC and Houston. The tech was pinging all the routers in the path between their gateway and me. The router in Houston was not responding too 10% of the pings so that was the problem. If the tech knew anything about troubleshooting he would know not to ping a router directly - they give very low priority to responding to icmp packets - it does not mean they are dropping any packets that are being routed. The tech was a moron. I tried to give a bit of troubleshooting help (I have 20 years of networking and installed my first voip network 12 years ago) and the tech would not listen.

The bottom line is these guys do not have the infrastructure in place to make this work nor the tech support people to support it.

Don't waste your time with them....

Comments:

Review by arkatex See Profile

• Location: NYC 212
Good "???"
Bad "E-mail support only customer service is never there when you need them,"
Overall "Customer Service Nightmares.... Stay away!"

For a year old company they sure have surprised me with great service from day one. Signed up on a Monday, the welcome package arrived three days later and its been smooth sailing ever since. Installation was a one minute process from connection to dialtone. Their online web interface is easy to navigate and change settings.

There was an issue with my MWI tone staying on after my messages where cleared but one e-mail to customer service and the problem was fixed same day.

UPDATE 6/24 2004:

Voicepulse has a handy way of contact you after the damage is done. They contacted me by phone (not email) but that was almost three weeks after they canceled my account and gave my 212 number away without warning. This problem started because of a issue with my sipura adapter's serial # and another adapter ending with the same two digits...so they say. I got a call today about the issue but I had already explained that I didn't want to do business with them again and that I sent my sipura back. You would have thought they wanted to keep me as a customer and at least credited me a months service instead of demanding my ata back.