VoicePulse page on DSLReports

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Cheap with a lot of features"
Bad "If you don't care that the phone might not work they are for you"
Overall "Intermittant service. Down 1-3 times a month for 1-3 days at a time"

I have had voice pulse for over a year.
At least once a month for over a day each time I am unable to call out
due to a fast busy.
I open so called "tickets" but they take their time getting back to you.
Right now today I have been without a phone for 2 days and counting...
You open a ticket and get no ticket number or email acknowledging they
have opened a ticket.
Their own support site admits the following:
"
*Not seeing your old incidents?*
VoicePulse is in the process of migrating to a new customer relationship
management system. During this migration, you may not see some of your
older tickets via the account center.
"
I would have SEVERAL "old incidents"...
If you don't mind intermittent service then this is the company for you!
I about ready to ditch them.

(review was emailed from domain bryanalbers.com)

Comments:

VexorgTR

I've heard similar......

You're not alone. I've heard other similar stories. Nobody is perfect I guess, but I guess VP is having a rough go lately.

Review by mm See Profile

• Location: Summerville,Dorchester,SC
Good "Great filters using caller id name"
Bad "Unreliable chronic issues"
Overall "Totally unreliable, I have to use my cell for most calls"

I have been with voice pulse for about 3 years and these last 8 months it's been frustrating. Constant Voice Mail issues and calls not getting connected to me. They have great customer service but with these chronic issues the service has become too unreliable since that 2010 summer meltdown last year.

I also have many complaints from the other end of the conversation that the voice quality is poor, on my end it sounds fine. I use FIOS as my provider which is great for low latency numbers so I doubt that is the problem. The complaints started after the meltdown.

My last conversation with customer service left me feeling they really don't care. I was disappointed that they just want to pass the buck and blame YouMail. They picked YouMail and it's their partner and they need a better communication between the companies and stop pointing fingers and just fix the issues.

2/2012 update

Things have calmed down with the voice mail issues. I still have some voice quality issues. I tend to use my iPad with TalkaTone to make outgoing calls and most of my friends tell me it sounds better than Voice Pulse.

9/2012 update

Voice mail indicators are getting worse, it's basically useless. Last night my phone would ring and nobody was there. I called my own number, it would go to voice mail after one ring and my VP phone was still ringing. Pickup and nobody was there. Calling support these days is a waste of time. No after hours support either. They were down a few weeks ago around 9pm at night and they don't even know it or resolve the problem until the next day. This service feels like it's run out of someone's garage.

11/2012

Pulled the plug. Message waiting indicators still not working. The usual routing issues came back and most calls inbound were dead space. My friends kept calling me on my cell. It just was not worth opening another ticket with these guys, yes they would fix it, but wait a week and the problems come back. They don't know how to permanently resolve the problems.

I switched to VOIP.ms. Easy config. So far no issues.

member for 13 years, 4933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

Eek

Sounds like it might be time to make a change. East Coast provider CallCentric comes to mind as a good option.

mm
I Did It My Way
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
·VoicePulse

Re: Eek

One feature I want that seems to be an issue is call blocking by callerid. With VP I can setup a rule to block calls with words in the callerid. For example I have a rule with the word 'research' and that sends all those calls to the dark hole. I really don't want to give up this feature, it saves me a lot of headache not getting all those BS calls everyday.

But I do want to drop Voice Pulse. I was looking at VOIPo but they don't offer the blocking I want.

jimk
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC

Re: Eek

VOIPo allows for call blocking by caller ID. Many BYOD providers including (but not limited to) VoIP.ms and Callcentric also allow you to block or re-route calls based on Caller ID.

mm
I Did It My Way
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
·VoicePulse

said by jimk:

VOIPo blocks by CallerID number which they all do. Very few block by CallerID name.

Sheffield Lake, OH
What draws you to VOIPo? I only consider them mediocre in a pool of many excellent carriers.
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Re: Eek

VOIPo provides good quality service at very good prices, especially for the customers who don't want BYOD.

Review by shadow700 See Profile

• Location: Collegeville,Montgomery,PA
Good "Feature set. Low Price."
Bad "Declining quality since major outage last year."
Overall "If you are looking for a VOIP provider, keep looking."

*2/27/2011 Update:*

Ever since the major outage some time ago, VoicePulse service has been getting steadily worse. It is to the point where I am probably going to switch providers soon. I have been with them since 2004 and, up until the major outage, I had nothing but praise for them. I had been extremely patient giving them the benefit of the doubt after recovering from the outage and switching to a new system, but it's been over six months and the problems not only continue, they are getting worse.

Here are a list of the continuing issues:

(a) Generally poor call quality. Nowhere near as good as it used to be. I get lots of complaints of either echoing or sounding too quiet. I've tried a few other VOIP providers recently from home (CallCentric, Ooma) and their call quality is what I used to get from VP.
(b) Features that used to be available no longer are. Scheduled DND, for example. Custom incoming Caller ID supposedly no longer supports characters other than A-Z, 0-9. This change coincided with recovery from their extended outage. I had used '&', parens, and '-' in my IDs to include whether the identified caller was calling from home, cell, work (ie - "Dad (W)", or "Dave & Jill (Home)". Funny thing is that contacts that I haven't updated in a while still show the "bad" characters.
(c) Random DMTF tones during conversations. It seems to be worse when the caller is on a cell phone, but I often get inadvertent DMTF tones which drown out the conversation (as if I pressed the keypad, but I am not). VP has claimed this is a firmware issue and they can't fix it. Again, it started happening right after the outage.
(d) Voicemail issues. I have not received a voicemail message of over 10 seconds in length that did not have multiple 3-4 second drop-outs in at least two months.
(e) Callers unable to hear me after I answer, or even more strangely, when the call is connected the caller hears audio from a different call!

I might head back to VZ for a year since their current FiOS triple-play bundle (with phone and more TV services than we have now) is the same price as we are paying in our double play bundle + VP cost. That, or I will end up at another VOIP provider.

Regardless, if you are looking for service, try someone other than VP.

*8/2004 Original Review:*
I've given VOIP a chance several times over the last two years. Each time, I felt it just wasn't ready.

Well, this summer, we bought a new house and would be losing our home number, so, I figured it was a good time to try VOIP out again.

First, I tried Vonage. Their quality and features were "OK", but I was having a lot of issues with Customer Service. There were a number of small issues, including all calls were handled by people with heavy Indian accents that I had a hard time understanding. After getting nowhere on a couple of issues, I canceled the account.

So, I searched around and found VoicePulse.

What a great service! Beyond the fact that the calls are as good as or better than Vonage, they have an amazing feature set that no one else can touch. I love the ability to be able to set the incoming Caller ID info to what I want ("Moms Cell" instead of "PENNSYLVANIA"). "Do Not Disturb", "Anonymous Call Rejection" and "Hunt Groups" have really come in handy.

For my area (SE PA), their local calling area is WAY larger than any other service - unlike other VOIP carriers, central PA and SW NJ are local for me.

Now, it did take a little time to get things running smoothly with VoicePulse, though. I was having issues like echoes during certain calls and some cell callers would get "All circuits are busy" during the afternoon. After a few emails and telephone calls (all tech support people I talked to were easy to understand and had NO accent), the issues were resolved.

Like I tell everyone about this service, if you are ok without 911 (we decided that our cell phones with E911 on them were "good enough") and are a little patient, then VoicePulse will be for you. VOIP is the bleeding edge, so you have to expect a few "cuts" along the way. But, VoicePulse has been incredibly responsive and is now saving me upwards of $500 / year.

Comments:

Review by n4mwd See Profile

• Location: Loxahatchee,Palm Beach,FL
Good "They are handy on a hot day because they are so shady"
Bad "They are crooks"
Overall "Run for your life"

I have had Voice pulse connect for several years now. When I got my service, the terms were simple, no monthly fees, pay in advance, the money stays in your account until you use it. A few years ago they decided to change those terms and required everyone to sign a new CONTRACT in order to refill minutes. The gist of the contract was that they would now allow prepaid accounts to run negative, charge you a penalty on your credit card if it did, and automatically charge your card for more minutes. In addition, they had a clause that said that if anyone hacked the account and used it without authorization, you would still have to pay for all the unauthorized use. I refused to sign that contract and my account stayed dormant for all those years with $5 in it. I was OK with just leaving it there just in case I needed the account for testing or something.

Now, just the other day, they have decided that they are going to charge a minimum monthly usage fee of $10 a month. So I get this email that said that they have charged my account that only had $5 in it $10 - that followed by another saying that they are going to charge an illegal regulatory fee (taxes on internet services are illegal) - then followed by a third that said I went negative and they tried to hit my credit card without my permission for $54.04 and it was refused because the number had changed.

Now when I went to complain about this by email, they get my complaint and then promptly block my email address so I can't attempt to get any resolution. I know this because they sent a response to my initial complaint wanting me to call them long distance from another account (they disabled the VP account). After that email, every email I sent them was blocked and bounced back to me. I forwarded that back to their main customer service email, but that email has been ignored.

I have long since switched to another VOIP company. They don't play games. If the account hits zero, it just stops working just like it is supposed to do on a prepaid account.

The bottom line is that I would NEVER recommend voice pulse to anyone.

Comments:

Review by bellorusha See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "NONE"
Bad "False Advertisers, Scam with prepaid money"
Overall "DO NOT USE THEM"

First of all they False Advertise, they said unlimited incoming call with DID, but I got the call yesterday and they said two of my accounts using too much minutes ( more then 2000) and that I have to go somewhere else. Can you believe that?

Also for outgoing calls they pulling a big scam, if you put $20 prepaid for the outgoing calls, when the balance will drop below $0, they will charge you $20 fee for that. I mean this is a prepaid, the whole idea is to put some money for that time I have money.

P.S. I'v been using VoicePulse for 2 years now, and first they lost me as a client because of outgoing prepaid issue, but I still left them all my clients with outgoing calls, and now I have to take all my clients elsewhere.

Stay away. They False Advertisers and scammers.

Comments:

Review by rfmurphy See Profile

• Location: Sanibel,Lee,FL
Good "Started out good a few years ago, but down hill from there"
Bad "Constant complaints from callers about non connection and voice quality. Proprietary ATA"
Overall "Failing quality. Bailing out and porting to Future 9"

I have had this service for a few years. The main reason is they were able to offer me a phone number in my little Long Island town. The quality was good at first and then over the last year callers were frustrated that they could not get through and the poor voice quality. VoicePulse also arbitrarily took away one my phone number and assigned me a different numbers without asking me. That was a pain in the rear and was the deciding factor for me to go elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by tlsmith2 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
Good "call quality"
Bad "misrepresent their ability to port numbers"
Overall "wasted our time and lost our legacy number in the process"

VoicePulse was unwilling to attempt any accommodation for securing our business under misleading pretenses. I guess they assumed we could not tolerate the switching cost since we had been up and running for 2 weeks when they told us that they could not port our number.

Comments:

Review by fourbear6 See Profile

• Location: Okeechobee,Okeechobee,FL
Good "Price, Features"
Bad "Tech Support, Reliability"
Overall "Value is not good with poor Reliability and support"

VoicePulse

How can this company stay in business?

After one year of service I started having problems and my phone would not work. Voicepulse said there was a problem with my router and wanted me to contact Linksys. So I called Linksys and they said my router was working fine. Then voicepulse wanted me to contact Sipura about the adapter, so I did and Sipura said they thought the adapter was bad and for me to contact voicepulse. Now voicepulse still says it my router so I buy a new router and still the phone does not work. Now voicepulse says maybe it is the adapter and wants me to pay for a new one. This is two weeks later with no service and I was not willing to spend any more time and money on voicepulse so I requested them to cancel my service. They still charged me for the month of October while I had no service.
Today I get a call from voicepulse saying I owe them over 100 dollars because my service is still active and also I have to pay for the broken adapter. Well you can guess what I told them!

Oh and I have signed up with a new VOIP and you know what both old and new routers work fine.

Don’t Use VoicePulse!

Comments:

Review by gpslouis See Profile

• Location: Olney,Montgomery,MD
Good "Simple to set up if you read the simple instructions. Worked first time. Amazing list of features."
Bad "Help desk closes at 7 PM EST/EDT. Problems can take days to resolve, if they are ever resolved."
Overall "Great until recently, then went rapidly downhill. Stay away."

SEE UPDATES AT BOTTOM OF REVIEW. STAY AWAY FROM VOICEPULSE.

_______________________________________________________________

I got VoicePulse about two weeks ago, and so far it's been a very easy ride.

I ordered the service on a Thursday afternoon via their web site, and the equipment (VOIP unit) arrived the following Monday.

I plugged the VIOP adapter into my router (WRT54G), waited about two minutes per the instructions, and I was making and receiving calls.

Right now my VOIP is flowing over my Cavtel / Phonom DSL link (512 KB down, about 256 KB up), but I'll be switching to FIOS in a few days. Sound quality is MUCH better than the Phonom VIOP, even though it's over the Phonom DSL connection.

For incoming calls, caller ID with name works correctly, but if you don't like the name that is displayed, you can set your own value for the name through the VoicePulse web site.

For outgoing calls, caller ID with name shows "out of area" on the recipients caller ID unit because Voicepulse does not register the name of the line owner with Telcos. Depending upon your point of view, this is either a good or bad thing.

The supplied Sipura VOIP box rings my 9 phones with no problem. (The total ringer equivalence is about 5 in my house.) However, it has trouble driving voice on more than one phone at a time. In other words, If two phones in my house are off-hook, the volume for all call participants drops to a very low level.

The customer support web site is very easy to use. There are endless features that can be quickly activated and configured via their web site. It's also very cool to be able to see the log of all outgoing and incoming calls. Just be careful about using any feature that does call forwarding if you bought the $15 / month plan, as there is apparently a per-minute charge for using call forwarding under that plan except when forwarding to a voicepulse number.

VoicePulse does not support 911 service yet, which happens to be contrary to FCC regulations. Based on the letter (see link below) from the CEO of Voicepulse to the FCC, it looks like they are pursuing activation of 911 service, but are significantly behind the January 2006 commitment that they made in the letter to the FCC.

»gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retr···18183606

I'll update again after a few weeks.

___________________________________________________________________

Update of March 19, 2006

My FIOS (5 MB / 2MB) circuit was installed last Friday so I moved my VoicePulse Sipura box over to the FIOS router (DI-624 supplied by Verizon). I didn't have to make any changes to the Sipura configuration, and the Voice Pulse service continued to work perfectly. The slight jitter that I experienced when using the Sipura on the Cavtel/Phonom circuit is gone on the FIOS circuit. Voice quality is absolutely perfect, as good as or better that POTS.

I'm not going to bother with a detailed FIOS review, as there are so many reviews already that I don't think that I have anything to add. I will mention, though, that the FIOS iInstallation was performed on the requested date by a very courteous installer who did a top notch, very neat installation job. I should add, though, that he had a relatively easy installation job, though, since all he had to do was mount the FIOS equipment on my networking equipment board and run the FIOS cables from the board to the outside interface.

____________________________________________________________________
Update of December 1, 2006:

Until the last few days, my VoicePulse service had been perfect. Then, two days ago, I could no longer receive calls. (Outbound calling still work fine.) I've called support 5 times over the past 24 hours, and although it's easy to reach a live person, all they'll tell me is that the problem is being caused by a provider downstream from them. They have no fix ETA and they won't give me any additional information. They won't even promise a fix within a week. I'm no longer very happy with VoicePulse.

___________________________________________________________________

Update of December 4, 2006:

Still no incoming calls and no indication of when the problem will be fixed. I spoke to Customer Service Manager Ryan Gibbs today (who reports directly to the owner of VoicePulse). His "I don't care" attitude and lack of ability to provide any information about the cause of the problem or an estimated fix date are causing me to recommend that this failing provider not be used. I have also submitted a written, online complaint about VoicePulse to the FCC.

__________________________________________________________________
Update of December 5, 2006

Still no incoming calls. No word from VP on when the problem will be fixed.

downloadretrieve.zip 82,438 bytes
(retrieve.pdf)

Comments:

Review by jchin See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Fast working service"
Bad "Charge for forwarded calls to local and VoicePulse-to-VoicePulse numbers!"
Overall "Deceptive Billing - charges for forwarded calls"

We have 2 VoicePulse lines on 1 TA; both using the "Unlimited Local + 200 Long Distance plan". And have been on the plan for 18 months.

We were just hit with a $55 overage charge last month. When asked why, we were told that our "call hunt" (a free feature from VoicePulse) charges 4-cents per minute on calls forwarded (even to our other VoicePulse number).

Later we found out that our "absolute call forwards" to our local cell phone number was also charged 4-cents per minute.

NOTE: they advertise the plan that we are on as "unlimited local + 200 long distance" ... in reality it is NOT! It only applies if you make the calls, not if the calls are automated from their features (such as forwarding or call hunt).

BEWARE !!!

We've repeated called VoicePulse support and they all tell us this is the case and that they have been "charging this since the beginning". I don't think so, cause my bills for the past 17-months have not been charged an extra $55.10.

They automatically charge your credit card and send no invoices. So be sure to read your bills in your account portal online!