VoicePulse page on DSLReports

Review by juiceisloose See Profile

• Location: Owosso,Shiawassee,MI
Good "Low price, pretty good quality"
Bad "Unreliable, tech support unresponsive, inconsistent"
Overall "Would not recommend at this point"

Longstanding customer (8 years) - not that this means anything to VoicePulse. Initially was great alternative to Vonage who was the primary VOIP player at the time. Reliability has faded over the years and tech support's responsiveness has been unbearable (issues take forever to resolve, sometimes they are not ever resolved, slow follow up or no follow up).

- Dropped calls
- Voicemail inaccessible
- Inconsistent call quality

Communicated my dissatisfaction multiple times to no avail. Finally looking elsewhere, but now there are dozens of providers so it may take some work. Either way my VoicePulse days are numbered and it is time to go.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Many good choices

I suspect that many people would agree with you that VoicePulse is not what it once was at least for the residential market.

In terms of looking around, some choices:

For full-service equivalent companies you could look at "Voipo" or PhonePower.

For BYOD companies, CallCentric (which I personally recommend), Voip.MS, Anveo.

Future-Nine offers BYOD as well as a device-supplying option.

Review by swintec See Profile

• Location: Alfred,York,ME
Good "Tech Support, Call Quality and Features"
Bad "Wish they had some new features..."
Overall "This Company is THE VoIP company"

March 2014- Service is still fantastic even after all of these years.

December 2011 Update- Voicepulse is still great! I do see a bit of a hit on quality since they moved their systems, but overall a great service still.

March 2010 Update- What can I say, everything still just works, and that's what you want in a VoIP company. I am coming up on my 5 year anniversary with them and I can count how many service issues I have had with them on one hand.

UPDATE- 5-02-08- Service continues to be top notch, I now have two lines with them. Only thing I wish is that they rolled out at least ONE new feature...but I guess if thats the worse I can come up with, it really is a non-issue.

UPDATE- 7-05-06- Still have Voicepulse and I am right at my 1 year mark for service with them. They are still what a VoIP company should be. Have not had any real outages this year. The feature set has remained the same however since I signed on with them, I wish they would roll out at least one or two new features at some point. One good thing, I now have 911 service. All emergency calls get forwarded to my local dispatch center. I believe most of Voicepulses coverage area has 911 service now. Tech support is top notch with any questions you may have, THEY actually call YOU to make sure all issues and questions are addressed. When was the last time a company did that? Bottom line, they are the Cadillac of VoIP service. Once we ditched Verizon, we never looked back.

I looked over many VoIP companies over the course of a year as they started to pop up and none could offer me Line porting for my Maine number. Then low and behold back in June, voicepulse showed they could do it. So i signed up for there service ASAP. Sign up went smoothly online through there site and the forms to start the LNP were emailed quickly once I called and asked for them. Adapter arrived in about 3 days. Plugged in and away I went. Porting my number took about 3 weeks, not bad at all. The original adapter went bad so i had to deal with tech support quite a bit while they troubleshooted it over the phone and finally agreed to send a new one. Credit for the original took quite awhile but eventually happened. Now with new adapter I am cooking right along on there local unlimited plan. Don't let the word "local" make it sound like nothing, there local calling areas tend to be entire area codes, and I also get 200 minutes for anywhere else in the country. Plenty for this house. 911 is non existent as of now but i assume in time it will be implemented because of the FCC. This company also offers one of the better feature sets out there. The telemarketer block is priceless. Overall, you can not go wrong.

member for 10.6 years, 5258 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by innoman See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Great quality, tons of features, quick tech support"
Bad "Given up on encryption...."
Overall "Excellent service."

11/13/2012 - I've had the service for years now, I think around 8, and it works perfectly. If you want great service for a reasonable price, go with VoicePulse.

8/10/2010 I just moved to Dallas, TX and had my previous virtual number (It was my number when I originally got VP but moved and had it set as the virtual number to have a local number in my new area) switched to a local Dallas number. There were no fees to do this. I can't really remember the last time I had an issue with my service. Things acted weird for a few days because they were doing some sort of upgrade. Everything still worked, I just had to reconfigure my simul-ring again.

you really can't beat the price or the features!

____________________
10/18/2009So, I have had the service for about 5+ years I guess, and it works flawlessly. I would comment on how quick tech support is to respond; however, I never need them. My mom and a few of my friends have the service now and also are quite pleased. It would be nice to see some updated features, etc.; however, I am happy with what I have.

If you are trying to decide what to go with... Get VoicePulse. If you want a free month of service, msg me and I will gladly refer you. I still have my SPA-2100 but I think they are going with newer devices now. I have no need for a landline because they are full E911 compliant. I also have my mobile (just in case the power goes out).

______________________
Previous posts:
-----------------------

I ordered my SPA2000 from voxilla and did second day. It shipped same day and it took voiceuplse about 18 hours to provision my account... Maybe less after signing up for it. You have to wait until you get your device to set your account on VP up. I am really happy with my decision to get service with VP, I only wish they had LNP. They told me it would be a couple months before they start, but they are going to offer it in the near future. And you can not beat the price!

UPDATE
LNP (Local Number Portability) is in progress for my old line. It is not officially being offered, but they are doing it for me. VoicePulse seems to be growing fairly rapidly. I rarely have any issues, and the ones I do are usually ISP related. (The cable signal is not the best at certain times of the day... They are supposed to be fixing that.) The price is so good that I hardly even notice paying for it every month. I would recommend this to anyone.

Another Update...
LNP took a little while but that was over a year ago... I am totally satisfied with the service. There is 911 coverage but not E911 in my area I guess; my cellphone offers E911 anyway and we have a wired line (my roomies company pays for that). I would recommend VP to anyone and actually have to several of my friends who are also satisfied. NO FAKE FEES/TAXES!!

Yet another... I never have any issues anymore, it is as reliable as VoIP can be. Which for me seems to be around 100%! It's cheap and has pretty much everything a person could think of.

member for 12.2 years, 3021 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by josephf See Profile

Good "When it works right, its good."
Bad "When it doesn't work right, its a problem."
Overall "Good when it works but problematic when not."

My number one priority in seeking a VoIP provider to port my POTS landline to was quality. Second was price. Based on quality reviews and price comparison VoicePulse was the winner. And it was a great choice.

I chose the Local + 200 package, as 95 % of my calls are within the Metropolitan New York area, and it is unlimited with the plan priced at $14.95/month. The 200 long distance minutes included with that plan generally more than cover my usage for such.

The order for service went smooth. Although I considered accepting a device from VoicePulse, I happened to use my own device (PAP2T-NA) so I wouldn't need to return it upon discontinuing service (whenever that may occur; there is no commitments/contracts with VoicePulse.) I placed the order over the weekend, and received the instructions for service when there office opened the following Monday. (Somehow I hadn't received it via e-mail.)

After having the service for a few days, and noting it functioning well for both voice quality and service, I ported my wireline number from a CLEC (in a Verizon ILEC region). The port was completed precisely 7 days after requesting it from VoicePulse. And service thus far has been near landline quality.

8/31/09, 11/17/09: All's well that runs well. Nothing but satisfaction with VP.

6/27/10: A++

1/30/11: A++

3/15/11: A++

11/19/11: A++

3/1/13: Service went downhill over past 1+ year, with all sorts of annoying issues cropping up. Tech support was always very helpful in attempting to resolve the issues. But at the end of the day the solutions did not fix the issue over the long (or short) term.

Service moved over to Google Voice via an Obi device.

member for 5.2 years, 2114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PCInTech See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Stable service, Excellent Voice, Full Suite of Features!"
Bad "None whatsoever!"
Overall "If you want the absolute BEST, this is the one."

I was with another service that started rapidly going downhill in the stability department and lagging behind providing features that were important to me. Mostly, I wanted, aside from basic reliability, 7 digit dialing, Caller ID with Name, voice mail that WORKED and a LOCAL telephone number, so that friends and family wouldn't have to call a city, long distance, 2 1/2 hrs. away. I bought a Sipura 2000 from Voxzilla, and it came with a coupon for a FREE trial from VoicePulse with all activation charges waived. I decided to try something different and give it a try. They activated me immediately, and gave me a LOCAL number in my town. Much to my amazement, I was TOTALLY blown away. It was as different as night and day from the other service! I not only had the features I wanted, but every conceivable telephone feature possible. Check out their feature list, and you'll see what I mean, as I couldn't possibly list them all here. They ALL work. Perfectly. We've totally forgotten that we're even on VoIP at all! It works that well. After a few months, I ordered another number with their Open Access Plan, in another area code where I have friends for only $5.00 a month. There's no "junk fees" added onto their rates, like my former service started adding. Everything works as advertised, customer support is STELLAR, and in New Jersey, USA with knowledgeable, efficient staffing. They've made a BIG FAN out of me, and I heartily recommend VoicePulse to ANYONE wanting VoIP service that's painless, and does everything it's supposed to do... just like the wired POTS service you're used to. It's companies like VoicePulse that will bring VoIP into the mainstream, and make 100 year old telco technology obsolete.

UPDATE 08/17/05: The service continues to be SPECTACULAR. I've since added an Open Access line on another Sipura. Their support people are highly helpful and extremely friendly, resolving problems with efficiency. There have been a couple of minor system outages for some subscribers, but only one affected me. Having been with other providers, I don't have a problem with this... as I know it could be MUCH worse. Call quality is perfect, features work INCREDIBLY well and the price is right. We really have totally forgotten that we're not on POTS, it's that reliable.

UPDATE 12/13/05: Recent upgrade to Voicemail system has certainly made the service flawless. I've recommended VP to several others over the last few months after they've tried other services, and they share my enthusiasm. Their customer service and tech support continues to be top notch, as well.

UPDATE 02/18/06: I suppose I'm just spoiled! I can't imagine VoIP service being any better than this. Outstanding reliability, support and call quality. You can't ask for anything more than those things, worth every penny!

UPDATE 05/11/06: Service continues to be solid as a rock. I can't possibly wish for anything more than what VoicePulse offers. It's not #1 in customer ratings for nothing! Perhaps my only wish is that there was some kind of customer referral incentive, as I've signed MANY people up to the service. :-( Maybe Ravi could spring for a nice high end two line multi handset phone?

UPDATE 12/12/06: VP is BORING! No outages, perfect quality, no drama, no problems, no glitches, nothing to tinker with. Just perfect phone service, period. I have forgotten what it was like to have problems with a telephone. It's just always there. Thank you for being the BEST, VoicePulse! I have recommended to MANY people and they are ALL as enthusiastic as I am.

UPDATE 02/16/07: For longevity and reliability, they have NO peer. This IS THE VoIP service for consumer telephone. I've recommended even more folks to them, and they are SO happy to have ditched their former service. You don't know how good the technology can be until you've lived with VoicePulse in your home. Switching to VP was the best decision I've ever made in my life... but don't tell my wife that... she thinks it's marrying HER.

UPDATE 07/18/07: No drama, no outages, no problems, ever. It just works! Everyone I've recommended to VP has been 100% satisfied, particularly the ones that were lured into "bargain basement" fly-by-night deals that gave away free phones, promised the World and never delivered. The English-speaking, US-based, knowledgeable techs are the best, bar none. In my house, it's just "the phone". VP would be a bargain at any price! I've even forgotten how long I've been with them, could be 3, 4 years. I forget. It's just perfect.

UPDATE 01/24/08: The lack of stimulating drama continues. (YAWN!) It's a full-featured phone. It just plain works. "If you've tried the rest... try the BEST, VoicePulse!" That's about all I can add to everything else I've said in previous reviews. Love it!

UPDATE 08/05/08: My 5th year with VoicePulse! Again, there is NOTHING at all that I can say that I haven't already. It's the BEST, PERIOD. I wouldn't switch to another service even if they GAVE it to me for FREE! (They'd have to PAY me, actually, on top of FREE service... )

UPDATE 02/12/09: VoicePulse continues to impress beyond belief. Their techs will bend over backwards to assist in even the most minor problems. Don't even think about toying around with the latest "VoIP du Jour". This is as good as phone service gets, period. I only wish there were ratings higher then 5 for this service.

UPDATE 01/18/10: VoicePulse continues to satisfy beyond my wildest expectations. The best customer service, and stellar voice quality. I don't know why everyone doesn't have VP. The best.

UPDATE 11/08/10: VP is the best. Features keep improving, and the addition of YouMail Pro as a Voicemail provider sweetens the deal. Customer service is still the envy of the industry.

UPDATE 08/08/2012: Still a happy camper. Economic situation has forced me to downgrade to Local Unlimited and drop my second number, but service is perfection.

member for 10.1 years, 4189 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good Voice quality, very reliable"
Bad "lock my adapter, lack of features, high international rates"
Overall "used to be great value; now declining"

·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO
UPDATE December 8, 2011

I finally pulled the plug on one of three lines that I had with VoicePulse. Switched to VOIPo. Also, I got PhonePower a few months ago when I was getting a new line. In both cases the final straw was the ability to have two independent simultaneous conversations (so called "cloned line"), SIP credentials (so I can plug it as a trunk on my PBX), and less than half the cost (in case of VOIPo).

UPDATE April 27, 2011

I've been with VoicPulse for 6 years... In fact, I have four lines on three accounts with them. And unfortunately, I am thinking of switching. I used to call them once a year, and was always impressed with their ability to troubleshoot problems that were at the intersection of VoicePulse and my ISP (and once it was misbehaving router). Now, I call them once a month - and the problems are VP's alone. ATA can't connect to the server; or the voice quality is terrible, or DMTF tones in the middle of conversation.

And I don't think they added any new features in these years (they *did* improve voicemail by partnering with YouMail).

UPDATE Feb 8, 2009

The website had a major facelift recently. It looks much nicer; however, one significant piece is still missing. I am using Local + 200; however, there is no way to search for long-distance calls.

Additionally, I would hope that by now they could open their lines for peering. Unfortunately, only Voicepulse connect allows peering; not the regular plans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

I switched from BroadVoice to VoicePulse and the main result after 6 weeks - I don't need to worry how is my phone service. VoIP stopped being the subject of jokes (at my expense) during dinner conversations.

I didn't have any startup costs (since I had my adapter from Voxilla), and I had a coupon for one month free - which is actually the second month that is free.

So, with great quality and low price - what's there more to ask for? First, VoicePulse locks your adapter; so in order to start service I had to call support, he did some magic, and 5 minutes later I had the service. That said, VoicePulse is good at not impacting line 2 of my SPA-2002 (domain and STUN settings are shared, so they have no choice). So, my first wish is for "Open Access" not to cost extra.

Second, the Voicemail management is pathetic. You can get WAV in email, but there is no way to delete it through the web. And there is no envelope information on the IVR. And you cannot get rid of MWI (studder tone) until you delete the messages. My first Octel 20 years ago was much better.

Call forwarding cost extra on my local plan, and some features (line naming, outgoing caller id selection, multi-ring) only make sense if you have multiple numbers with them. However, multiple line support adds clutter and clumsiness to user interface. And generally, web site needs a major face lift.

Some common features - call transfer, three-way calls - are missing. I would rate these features way above "do not disturb" - after all, you can always use "ultimate do not disturb" aka turn off.

I like one feature that I didn't see elsewhere - "Contacts". All incoming cell phone show "Cell phone" as CID name. By entering contacts I can make it work like "cell phone handset" - that is, if it matches the number in the address book, it shows the associated name that I entered; not nameless "Cell Phone".

Finally, international rates are quite high; but since I am using another provider on Line 2 for international calls - I don't care that much.

• Location: Novi,Oakland,MI
Good "Cost/Quality/Setup"
Bad "Minimum monthly usage required"
Overall "Overall, good service"

The setup and integration with VoicePulse was painless and easy. I
quickly had my Asterisk server setup to route outbound calls through
VoicePulse. I was happy with the service and quality of calls. The cost
per minute was very reasonable.

(review was emailed from domain mi.rr.com)

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA

what plan is it?

Residential plans start from $25/mo ($15 + $10 for SIP credentials); and business plans are not listed, but seem to be around $100/mo.

How did you get to $10/mo

Review by shealyse See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lexington,SC
Good "Good, Stable Service. It Just Works!!!"
Bad "Few service enhancements over the years."
Overall "Good, Stable Service, Good price even without having to prepay for a year."

·Windstream
I have been a VoicePulse user for over three years. The service has been excellent. Very few outages or issues. Whenever I had to open support tickets for issues, I always received an actual return phone call from tech support as a followup.

If you are looking for stable service and good features then VoicePulse is for you.

The price for service is average. They do offer local service plans that include unlimited local calling (for me that was statewide) plus 200 minutes of LD per month. This is the plan I selected. They do lock your adapter, so no tweaking for the techies.

VoicePulse is a rather "quiet" company. Their website rarely changes. Their features and prices have been the same since I signed up three years ago. They don't have their own forum on BBR. It just works!

1/2008- I signed up for Viatalk in 6/2007 to replace my VP line. I liked the 2 for one deal that VT offered. My intentions were to drop the VP service. However, I have found it hard to dump VP and they still "JUST WORK"!!! I took the VP ATA to work and use it as a personal line at work. I may one day break down and return VP, but I just can't let it go. I may wind up bringing up a Trixbox and tie it all together with my landline for a mega home VOIP system. It's been fun playing.

UPDATED 9/2008

I still have my VP line, but rarely use it. I keep it connected at work, primarily for play. My earlier reviews still stand. Their customer service is extremely prompt and their service is solid. I would definitely recommend VP for the plug and go user who may not be technical and wants reliable service. Even though I don't use it very often, I am having a hard time convincing myself to cancel the service. I have even loaned my adapter out to coworkers to take home and try which has resulted in a few more customers for VP.

Comments:

Review by trmyers See Profile

• Location: Winston,Douglas,GA
Good "Unlimited Local/Long Distance for $21; Great sound quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Rock solid service. Great service for the price."

9/6/2011 - They just dropped their monthly price $5. Service has been rock solid since I started with them 2 years ago. I highly recommend them.

4/12/2010 - So far service is still rock solid. Great service for the price.

9/12/2009 - Rock solid service since August 2009. I average 1000 minutes per month.

Comments:

Review by lesrid See Profile

• Location: Gadsden,Etowah,AL
Good "Excellent Sound Quality !! - I really can hear a Pin drop :)"
Bad "I procrastinated for 2 years before trying VOIP :("
Overall "My wife is worried the Bell-South Traitor Police will get us ;)"

I installed the Sipura (plastic device about the size of a wallet) Monday and disconnected BellSouth at the box, I thought I had messed up and left the phone line plugged into the wall instead of the Sipura

I picked up the phone and I heard a dial tone, and I tell you, for the first time I now know what a good connection sounds like. ( I kid you NOT !!)

I called to my wife to try the other phone , a minute later she asked me how I did that so fast and why there was no static or background noise as BellSouth had always told us we had bad internal phone wiring and needed to have it re-wired.

I have talked with several friends, family and asked every one I have talked with how the connection sounded. They every one say it was the clearest they ever heard, and I then would tell them it was VOIP, you know , like the T.V. ads for Vonage, except this is VoicePulse.

I have decided to put a little VOIP jingle when I set up voice mail as I am getting tired of hearing this technology doesn't work well, as I have not experienced any problems with dropped calls, or other abnomalties experienced by other users, and I attribute that to keeping my 5 year old computer system maintained, updated drivers, and a good security set-up , thanks mainly to knowledge gained from this excellent website.

I personally wish this site or the VOIP Industry would set up a forum (or if there is one , make it more pro-nounced and visible) for novices like myself on general system settings and maintaince for a quality VOIP experience.

I went with VoicePulse who doesn't have 911 yet, because I have it with my cellphone service, all the reviews I looked at on this site and my old number portability, larger local calling area for the cheaper plan and Frankly getting tired of paying extra $homeage$ to "Big Brother" Bellsouth and I highly recommend VOIP and VoicePulse if you want to save some money and receive more "Bang for the Buck"

My ISP is Comcast and I have had 2 "no service" conditions since installation .One was from a thunderstorm Monday night that knocked the ISP out for 2-3 hours, and the other was this afternoon, fault unknown, I un-plugged the Sipura for about 10 seconds and that fixed it.

My Equipment:
eMachines T1980 /AMD 1.67 MHz/ 512megs ram/ MS Windows xp sp2
Motorola 585120 Surfboard Cable Modem
Belkin DSL/Cable Router serving 3 computers and Sipura Spa 2002
ISP: Comcast Cable -speed 3500/350 avg.
Security: McAfee Security Center (free) w/Comcast /firewall/ virus scanner/security center/Privacy service// Spy-Bot Search and Destroy (free)//
Ad-Aware SE Personal (free)// Win_Patrol (free)// Mailwasher (free)// Belarc Advisor (free)// Everest home addition (free)