mycybernet.net page on DSLReports

Review by markuswarren See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Excellent support and service"
Overall "Used them since 2006 and am very happy with them"
Setup experience:

In 2006 we needed a reliable ISP to enable the ability to work from home, requirements including Static IP. We found mycybernet and the pricing and features matched exactly what was needed.

In 2010 I switched the connection from business to residential, and never noticed any change, which is a very good thing.

Service has been fantastic, the only issues ever encountered were an ADSL modem needing replacement, and a few issues with move requests, none of which were mycybernet's fault, the latter being Bell doing things incorrectly.

Comments:

Review by zong See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Great for people who don't need handholding"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service and Network Management"
Overall "Stay Away"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Switchworks
UPDATE: March 24th, 2013

I am officially giving these guys an F for service now.

They used to have people manning the offices on the weekend. As of Friday afternoon their gateway router - my default gateway had been flapping up and down. As of last night it is down down. What kind of ISP doesn't monitor their own routers? What kind of ISP doesn't have a network admin at least on call? I left a voice message but I suspect it won't be heard until monday. I run a network at a medium sized law firm and I monitor all that stuff. If my users needed me to reboot something, I would even on a weekend! This is ridiculous and completely unprofessional.

I can forgive them for having to deal with the regulatory hell that Bell is. I can forgive them for not being able to offer me anything more than Legacy GAS DSL (a whole 3mpbs for me, connected to the central office), but I cannot forgive them for their craptastic network management and lack of monitoring the phone lines.

The first call I make on Monday is to cancel and switch to another provider.

======================================================================

I have used these guys since 2005 or so. Been with me through 3 moves, one single IP address and account all along.

They seem to share in the same "blame bell" game that all other ISP's do, which is warranted (I deal with many aspects of Bell on a daily basis - and I have trouble getting our T1's serviced - I can only imagine what they have with thousands of customers). Overall, good service and good price. Bills are PDF'd to my account, and withdrawn. Not on a contract.

I do like being able to add / deactivate but not delete email addresses.

They do not do MLPPP but I have no need for that (there is only ONE ISP in Ontario that services that).

member for 9.1 years, 3171 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by geod2 See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "reasonably reliable connection (Bell reseller)"
Bad "unresponsive, highhanded and incompetent customer relations"
Overall "Avoid, unless you enjoy dealing with the arrogantly incompetent"

I joined mycybernet.net (now switchworks.net) in late 2006 and have been with them since that time using the standard GAS "high speed" connection (they are reselling Bell).

I was reasonably happy with them until this year when I understand they were taken over by another Toronto company called "Switchworks".

In the first half of this year, I requested an additional service (MLPPP), which the company was not interested in providing. They were unwilling to release me from my contract, even when I offered to pay the full monthly rate for all months used rather than the contracted discounted rate. I didn't like it, but realized I was stuck and had no option but to wait out my contract before going to another ISP (especially after having been referred to the company's contract terms which, in my view, are incredibly one-sided - it reads more like a list of my obligations to them rather than their obligations to me as a customer).

Given that the company required written notice to terminate service, I wanted to make certain that I would not be unwillingly automatically "renewed" at the end of my contract. So, on August 11 2009, I emailed the ISP accounts department and explained that I would not be renewing my contract at the end of its term and requested to know the exact expiration date of my contract so that I could arrange for a seamless overlap in service with my new ISP.

I received a response from the accounts department on August 12, 2009 which stated "You have paid for ADSL service until 1/1/2010. I will make note in your account not to renew the service when it is due."

Note that date - I'm paid up in full until January 1, 2010, when my contract expires.

So far, so good. I have made arrangements for another ISP to take over on December 31, 2009.

I was surprised therefore to receive an invoice dated December 4, 2009 demanding additional payment for the month of January 2010. I contacted the accounts department and was told to disregard the invoice and the January 1, 2010 expiration date was reconfirmed.

Then, this past Friday evening (December 18, 2009), I worked my scheduled night shift. While I was away at work, an unknown male called my home from mycybernet/switchworks and spoke to my wife (who knows very little about computers and nothing at all about the arrangements I have made with ISPs).

The caller falsely told her that I had not paid for internet service and that he was therefore cutting us off. He also told her that I could call *him* (!) on Monday (December 21) if I wanted to talk about it. My wife repeatedly asked him to speak to me before doing this, but he ignored her request.

The caller did exactly what he said and as of this past Friday evening, I have no home internet service. Any email sent to my mycybernet email account is being bounced as an unknown user (i.e. my ISP email account no longer exists).

My daughter is in high school and has a major project due which she now cannot research on the net, nor retrieve images to use as illustrations. My wife is unable to remotely contact her work email account or otherwise use the net.

And I am absolutely furious.

I emailed the ISP and left voice mail on Friday when I found out what happened. It is now late Sunday afternoon and I have had no response to either my emails or to my phone call.

I have no idea when, or if, my internet service will be restored before my new ISP takes over on December 31 (and I will finally, thank God, be free of this horrible ISP).

Fortunately, a kind neighbor has internet service with another ISP and has allowed me to use his connection so that I can make this post.

Comments:

Review by RockinRose See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Sales expalined all costs. No hidden fees. Helped with difficult problems."
Bad "Not the cheapest guys out there BUT they are very personable."
Overall "All ISPs use Bell. Bell is forcing BAD policies. These guys help get the best value possible."
Setup experience:

Used Bell until they started sending me rediculous bills for usage. Rogers just more of the same. I have used the full speed service at numerous ISPs. The fastest service is not always the fastest at the end of the day. MYCYBERNET provides a good service that met all my needs.

When I moved, I had difficulty qualifying service because I was in a difficult area. They worked through the problems and got me connected when others could not.

Using my laptop, with wireless in my house, actual test speed at 2AM was 2.4Mbps by 400kbps consistantly across multiple test sites. Given I am using wireless on my laptop and consistancy, the speed limitations appear to be related to Bell and my local connection. Service from myCybernet.ca was very consistant and reliable.

Comments:

Review by klam See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Tech support quite good, provided you get the right person"
Bad "Over priced."
Overall "Reasonable ISP, but a bit pricey"
Setup experience:

Not very flexible ISP. I wanted multiple "fixed" IPs for on my residential DSL account, they only allow a single static IP, at a cost $10/month. This ISP would only provide multiple IP on a business account, which is about 2x the residential price and each IP costs $10/month and an annual contract.

For a simple residential DSL user, a reasonable ISP, but if you are anything else you assumed to be a business and are charged as such.

Comments:

Review by HumblePie See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "customer service and sales staff both good, don't have to wait in endless phone queue to talk to a real live person"
Bad "Very occasional outages, but to date those are due to Bell Nexxia, not Cybernet."
Overall "Good ISP. Great price if you get the annual package. Prices just went up but I got in under the wire for 29.99/month"
Setup experience:

Very impressed with MyCybernet.net - good price if you go for the annual package. No caps. Good service and sales stafff. Had some problems switching to Dry DSL, but those turned out to be because of Bell Nexxia, not due to MyCybernet.

member for 10.7 years, 290 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by chy See Profile

• Location: L0L 2P0
Good "excellent support, response and reliability"
Bad "none so far!"
Overall "Excellent ISP!"
Setup experience:

Smooth install and performance. Ordered static IP after the fact, came online within 24 hours, have had very outages as compared to Bell or Rogers. Consistent data rate. No complaints!

member for 12.9 years, 718 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Brano See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Easy to subscribe to, nice web account management."
Bad "Actual speeds sometimes drop during peak hours."
Overall "Good ISP for this money."

·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
»www.mycybernet.net

It's pretty reliable ISP so far, speeds are little lower than advertised. Very nice account management through web interfaces.
5 business days from order to setup. $34.99 CDN per month.
Advertised speeds 3Mb / 640kb. See actual speed tests here »/archive/speede.com