GCI.net page on DSLReports

Review by jtel See Profile

• Location: Sitka,Sitka,AK
Good "The Competition Only Offers 4mb Downloads"
Bad "Too Expensive"

·Full Channel TV ..
I just moved to Alaska from Cox/Fios territory where I was spoiled apparently.

I started out with the ultimate package which is 22mb down for $160/month. It delivered but I just couldn't see paying that much after getting 30mb down for less than $50 so I dropped to the 15mb ($70/month) and also dropped the cable for Directv.

With nothing else coming into the house from GCI they penalize you another $30 a month so it's apparently $100 a month for that. Unlike the 22 the 15 doesn't deliver 15 instead I get 10. It's $20 extra for not having cable and $10 extra for not having any other GCI service. Those 2 fees are not spelled out when buying either.

GCI caps the 15mb service at 100 gb a month which goes fairly fast using ondemand through Directv. When ACS supports 10mb here (no cap) I'm moving to that. I'll run a new inside wire for that so any performance issues will be ACS's problem.

ACS needs to run fiber either that or Alaska needs to support communities that want to run their own.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

No basis

You have absolutely no basis for leaving a poor review.
jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI

Re: No basis

I've got the 15mb plan and only get 10mb speeds. The caps are ridiculously low on all their plans and the prices are astronomically high with hidden fees.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: No basis

1. Post an image of your speed test.

2. Specify about the "hidden fees"

3. Did you know about the caps prior to signing up?

Review by zaby1337 See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "usually good performance, reliability, uptime"
Bad "pricing scheme/scam, SMALL download caps, usage meter lags by 3 days"
Overall "Alaska's only game in town for the most part, monopolists, but great performance"

Have used this company for over a decade off and on, mostly on. Have had all sorts of internet plans with them, slow and fast. GCI is Alaska's only game in town basically; their competition is sort of null except for ACS dsl 10mb service which has unlimited DL caps, but ya, it's dsl, and it also performs horribly in my specific area of the city...

Performance is top notch, you get what you expect, even more when it comes to the nice burst speeds, tests well most of the time during gaming sessions and things like speedtest dot com. There will be times during mid day where the speed will drop to roughly 60-50% of rated speed, this is inherent to cable modem networks since the busier it is the slower it will be. The various tools on this site have tested this ISP to be very good, as well as other site's tests.

The most annoying thing about GCI is there pricing scheme/download caps. An example of this is their tiers of service which with their lowest of 10mb up and 1mb down, not bad. The bad #$)#ing part is a DL cap of 10GB, yes I typed it correctly. That tier is $40 stand alone pricing, add in their 'modem access fee' of $9 and other charges, comes out to over $50, really stings when you are constantly reminded of the ridiculous 10GB DL cap.

You can check all this on their site 'gci dot net' and select anchorage as the region.

Thier best tier is the 22mb up/2mb down/200GB DL cap for $120 stand alone price. Again, slap on access fee and whatnot, you're over $130. If you stream a lot or really do anything media related a lot, you'll reach that limit no problem.

This pricing scheme GCI has going is much like choosing between too little and 'too much' as well as paying between a 'little' and a truck load, the end result is GCI is annoying, please someone save us from them, even Comcast would be a great savior at this point. I am being serious.

My current package is at 18/1.5 mbps with a 150GB download cap. This is their second to top package, the rest have ridiculously small download caps which is the only reason why I don't have their lowest package, take note GCI, slimeball 1d10ts. They provide a RCA brand digital broadband modem for $9/month lease for the stand alone packages only.

They take away the access fee if you buy into their whole packages of phone/cable tv/internet, but ya, have fun throwing your money at them like you're in a strip club and you've had a few jack and cokes.

(All this information is updated as of Sept 2012)

I must also mention some important information, the usage meter they have online consistently lags behind about 2-3 days. Compared to Comcast's (lived in lower 48 for short time) usage meter which lags about max 3 hours (Comcast is pretty much instant), GCI's meter is pretty pathetic at best so good luck keeping up with how much you download, actually this is one of the most frustrating aspects of their service.

As I have recently seen some mentions of the GCI usage meter, even though it is ridiculously laggy, it is does keep accurate records. I have confirmed this through my own netgear router's software usage tracking, it has always been accurate every month for a while now ever since I've been monitoring it on my side, this is within 500MB or so at the end of the billing cycle, reasonable, so at least GCI has accuracy right..

Comments:
zaby1337

join:2011-12-12
Anchorage, AK

reply to access fee comment

replying to previous comment, yes they charge an access for stand alone packages only.

also, in reply to the 'it is good' comment, if you're strictly referring to their performance only, it is good .

[EDIT]
it appears after checking the account of the 'good, it is good' comment, i have found the account was deleted because of violation of terms of use, haha, probably a paid GCI PR rep, honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Review by b0rnpagan See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (99 month contract)
Good "Download is livable"
Bad "Usage Cap, Service sucks, Price, Bundles, Lying Pigs, Reduction of Service and Higher Bills"
Overall "If only there was another way,,, sucks being a nerd."

GCI was great, but I question thier usage monitor and argue the point that the head cheese says that Alaskans are not derserving of unlimited internet because they abuse it. .... wow.... on that note stop abusing my wallet. GCI and ACS have been the major isp's in this town and as time goes on the bills get higher while the service and fleecing gets to the point of being rude. They know they have us and that is that. Go to heck GCI!

Comments:

Review by AngryCustmer See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "Fast"
Bad "Sandvine Equipment throttling specific internet protocols and services"
Overall "Terrible Customer Service"

Comments:

Review by kalanic00 See Profile

• Location: Eagle River,Anchorage,AK
Good "Easy Self-install, instant provisioning, in-store face-to-face ordering"
Bad "Long hold times for tech/cust support, monthly caps with no bundle, over-priced in relation to comparable markets elsewhere."
Overall "Better value over local telco."

·Verizon Broadban..
Being a telecom guy, I'm biased about using cable. But the value, compared to the other services available in the area, is better. The face-to-face ordering in the GCI store is wonderful and something companies down in the "lower-48" can learn from. There were no upfront costs, and equipment was given without a deposit.

Once I got home, I was up and running in minutes.

There seems to be times where I have to click the re-fresh button, or re-submit a form to kick the internet back on...almost like it freezes for a moment.

Over-all, a wonderful and seamless set-up, but not quite used to 2m/548k for $29.99 (soon to be $49.99) - seems like price gouging, being that there is no competition up here at all.

***Update

I forgot to mention ISPs in Alaska have monthly allowance caps on usage! How far behind the rest of the U.S. is this state?

I turned in my modem, and cancelled the service because I was charged for overage - I surpassed my 10Gig monthly cap. I was charged $0.005 per Meg.

I tested the meter they provide on GCI.net by physically unplugging the modem from power from 7pm 9/13 to 7pm 9/15. However, once they ever so slow meter caught up about a week later, it indicated 500+ Meg of usage for 9/14. How can this be?

I called customer support once I got my bill to dispute the accuracy of the method they use to track usage, and I got the same thing from everyone, "Your wireless router opens your connection, and if it isn't secure, someone else could be using it." Or, "Even though you unplugged the modem, your router is still on, and that explains the additional usage." Did they not hear what I was saying to them? Again, the modulator/demodulator (modem) was unplugged from power!! I was so surprised by the lack of comprehension from everyone I spoke to, I just closed the account.

After over an hour on hold, I was given a "courtesy" credit, but they insisted the additional usage was valid. What idiots!

Bottom line, if you don't get a bundle, be very very weary on extra usage charges. Chances are the usage is inaccurate.

Comments:

Review by ColdSmoke See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "No traffic shaping-Consistent speed"
Bad "Pricey but you can get better deals with a package"
Overall "If you use P2P applications get GCI"

3mbs/256kbbs here. I've had service with GCI for over 6 years. I have IP, telco and cable TV in one package. I am a heavy BT P2P user and GCI does not throttle or shape BT traffic. I am able to get 700K+ download speeds on GCI while being able to surf the web and run other applications at normal speeds. The Ultimate package permits unlimited download cap. I've had a couple bad experiences with the other IP provider here in Anchorage. The company I was with at Ft. Richardson was using ACS DSL. For about 2 months their service became shaky with a lot of outages. ACS never addressed the problem (even after 2 months) and provided us with a spotty IP connection. I suggested we change our IP provider to GCI and they came out and installed us in 2 days. Man, what a difference. Also, we needed an additional phone line installed from ACS. ACS assigns an account representative to business. You can't get an upgrade unless you talk to your account representative. The problem was we couldn't get in touch with him for over 6 WEEKS. He was either sick, on vacation or they moved in another guy and he would not get in touch with us. ACS is the only telco provider on Ft. Rich.

GCI QOS is getting better. A year ago they had maybe a 98% uptime. They had a lot of outages but I cut them some slack as they were upgrading their network. In 2007 I had ONE outage that lasted 4 hours. Tech support is great even the low level tech's know what they are doing and offer great support. Also like other cable companies that package internet with cable TV be sure to check for new deals and promotions as you can save a few bucks. I can't comment on ACS DSL as it was never an option for me but a friend has it and uses it for surfing and email. He is not a heavy internet user but he likes it OK.

Comments:

Review by kakarot_11 See Profile

• Location: Palmer,Matanuska Susitna,AK
Bad "Very Lousy ISP"

They consider 64/32k to be way faster. 64k is faster than dial-up, but not much better. 32k, what kind of cable connection rate is that? Fact: dial-up can go up to about 45-50k. Unless you're on a 28k at the most, 64k is not way, way faster than dial-up. They finally put the download rate up to 128k. They say "free lite speed" is the greatest internet deal in history, I would be surprised if it wasn't within the top 5 worst. Plus, their connections seem to often drop. If you want high speed access, I would strongly recommend a different provider if they are available in your area. Unless you barely ever download anything, and mostly just use your connection for e-mail, and you already have their qualifying products and are actually satisfied, I would not recommend their "free lite speed." MTA or ACS seem like decent providers. For businesses, DSL with GCI is without a doubt, a rip off. When you first order installation, they often say it can't be done for a few days. A good friend of mine said the person from GCI should up at his place at least a week late. When it comes to giving you service, it seems they want to make you wait. When you go to cancel your service, they cancel everything practically as soon as you confirm you want to cancel. They charged at least 3 times the price on our first bill and they were acting like they were completely innocent when we know for a fact that had a fair size fault. The only good part about their service was the technician for installation, actually showed up hours befor expected, in our case a really good thing.