ACI - Aurora Cable Internet page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Digency See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Insane blazing speeds! Waiting is a thing of the past. Super low pings to game servers"
Bad "Sometime the modem needs resettting. ISP might be throttling p2p clients (not 100% sure, but feels like it)"
Overall "9 meg down 1 meg up, unlimited bandwidth, you can't go wrong."

If you are lucky enough to live in Aurora or Oak ridges, Richmond Hill, Ontario, then its a no brainer to go with ACI internet. I've tried the other two BELL and Rogers theres no doubt this ISP is way better than the two. Very nice speeds, waiting is a thing of the past, I can now click and watch steaming videos instantly, compared to waiting before.

Pings to game servers are lower than other ISPs in the same area. (I checked).

Sometimes the internet just stops working, for no reason, I have a feeling its something to do with my computer and not the ISPs fault. However resetting the modem and cold reboot usually fixes that problem, In 1 month I've only had to do this two or three times.

I've not sure if they are throttling p2p clients now, but I've heard from other members that they are doing it just recently. I asked them in an email and they didn't reply to my answer properly (they just said we dont support that software blah blah, they wont give me a straight answer yes or no if they are throttling or not)

Monthly fee is around 40 dollars plus 5 dollars for modem rental. Speed tests show I'm getting the full bandwidth of 9 meg down and 1 meg up. Installation was quick and professional.

Comments:

Review by chrisjmccann See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Wow.... Zoom..."
Bad "None really."
Overall "Fastest ISP I've Ever Been With"

---UPDATE 24-FEB-07---

Guess it's time I update this after quite a while...

I'm still really happy with the speed I get from this service. It's consistantly fast and when the service is up... It's awsome.

My problem is with the number of times we need to reset the modem, and with how often the internet seems to disappear for no reason at all. Service goes down from time to time for upwards of hakf an hour.

I don't mind needing to reboot hardware... I use Windows... It's an accepted fact of life...

I do mind needing to reboot all the damn time...

I do mind losing my phone service. I use Vonage, and so when my internet goes down... so does my phone. And the whole reason I was willing to sign up for VOIP in the first place was how reliable I thought my internet service was.

To be honest tho... For how fast I'm able to download... I'm still more then happy with my service. Could be worse... I could still be with Bell....

----ORIGINAL REVIEW-----
Although they advertise 9Mbps I've never seen it. Not to say that the service isn't fast, but I've never hit 9Meg. I've been with Sympatico DSL for years and they don't hold a candle to the connection reliability I've seen from ACI. With bell I had to reboot modem and router on a daily or worse basis. Since being on ACI for over 6 months I've only rebooted twice. And those truely were router issues. So Bell... Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. It really wasn't a router issue as you insisted.

I'm ranting. Really steer clear of bell. If you're in Aurora or Oak Ridges and want a fast, reliable connection, go ACI. A static IP option for residential users would be cool. But I guess you can't get it all. And so you know, $50 is including tax and modem rental, for a non cable tv subscriber. It's cheaper for those who want the TV as well (They have good digital services and now a PVR option) but I'm not giving up my Starchoice just yet.

The only real complaint I have and it's not really one, is that the installer freaked that I wouldn't allow him access to a computer to test the connection (I had just moved and hadn't unpacked my computers or router yet, plus I run Linux on most of my machines anyways) even though the sales lady said it wouldn't be a problem. And I would have rated Tech Support better but I've never used their phone or email support, and their Support webpage sucks...

Comments:

Review by shp20884 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "great speed when you connected"
Bad "3-5 minutes outages 2-3 times a day, 3-4 days a week"
Overall "good efforts with some deviations"

After being 4 years Cablevision Cable customer this one looks amateursly. Very annoying numerous-short-time outages during the day. May be if you out of home the whole day you won't notice that. But if your living somehow depend on it, you have to have backup connection.

Comments:

Review by infiniti2 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "zoom,ping, dl speed"
Bad "Some Packet Loss"
Overall "LOVE it"

I love their service and the ping is awesome, it is really really fast. Everything jsut zooooom, .

member for 11.7 years, 242 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by denden2002 See Profile

Good "Very Very Fast, Lowest Ping Times, Very Reliable!"
Bad "If you dont have their cable tv its $10 more expensive.."
Overall "Worth getting. so far faster then any Canadian Cable/DSL isp, and im pretty sure faster then any ISP in North America"

I was with ACI for some time now, 2 years, and within 2 years ive probably had to restart my modem about 5 times. Very stable speeds throught the week, but super fast during the day and night. I was with them when they were offering 3Mbps internet and then too it was a good ISP. The upgrade to 9Mbps was very smooth. They exchanged my old modem for the new one, no hassles and very professional. Their tech is incredible, they will even assist you with other programs if a specific tech knows the program, and best of all they are P2P and gaming friendly ISP.

member for 11.9 years, 191 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by factrzero See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Super-fast"
Bad "Slow Email"
Overall "Fastest ISP for the money"

Installation went well. Connection is really fast. Tech support is decent. No complaints really.

If you live in Aurora or Oak Ridges and need a really fast connection, there really isn't another option. Their email system is kinda slow though, so I just use my Hotmail account or Yahoo or whatever.