Cool Access page on DSLReports

Review by gwpswarren See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Hunt,TX
Good "They provide access to the internet without a contract."
Bad "Unreliable connectivity, constant buffering on streaming video"
Overall "A mediocre ISP for basic browsing. Can't handle much more than music streaming."

This ISP is owned by TierOne Converged Networks. (Edited: TierOne Converged Networks does not appear to be owned by Cogent Communications.) The service at my house seems pretty abysmal. Granted, I put it to the test regularly. Any given evening, there will be video and music streaming, online gaming, or general browsing. There are up to 8 devices in my house that access the internet. That said, watching streaming video is aggravating beyond believe. A 45 min episode will take 60-90 mins to actually watch. My ping is nearly always 300ms or higher. Even general browsing is painful.

TierOne actually has larger bandwidth packages, but because my house is serviced by a Cool Access tower, I don't have access to them. I have the "best" they can offer me, which is 1.5Mbps down/512Kbps up. The up time of the connection is completely unpredictable. I understand that a WISP is far more prone to disconnects from a number of factors, but I've consistently had no service on perfect weather days. Now, I can generally get the internet connection going again by power cycling (read: unplug/plug) the AC adapter for the antenna, but I shouldn't have to do that regularly. That's like saying an ISP is good, as long as I power cycle the modem hourly/daily.

Overall, if you just want to browse the internet, this isn't a bad ISP. The upside is having no contract, or modem inside. Downside is it's limiting factors and unreliable connection.

Update: 09/18/2014 - About 3 weeks ago a tech came to the house, because after 5 days within a month of no service at all, I took the chance of paying $35. That's the fee if a tech comes out and doesn't find an issue with TierOne/CoolAccess's equipment. Turns out there were two things wrong. 1) The antenna was misaligned and the ethernet cable was damaged in 3 places. Mind you, the area I live in had a tornado pass through it in March and nearly hit my house and directly after that I noticed a performance issue. I called TierOne on that issue several times and their answer was to reset the equipment (as mentioned above). The tech ran new cabling and aligned the antenna. Granted, it's still baseline DSL service, but the connectivity is noticeably better. As compensation, TierOne did lower my bill to $50 a month... which isn't really that exciting, considering what that would get me with GEUS or TWC.

member for 1 year, 4 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

No Trolling

No trolling intended. You needed to clarify your statements as I'm sure you've realized.

I've reviewed their website and I'm intrigued. Can you post a picture of the equipment they are using? I'm wondering about their claims that they are a "Tier 1" provider and that they use "FCC Licensed" spectrum. Their speed packages seem to indicate Motorola Canopy 900mhz equipment.

gwpswarren

join:2013-11-14
·Cool Access

@wirelessdog

I'll attempt to get you a picture of the dish/antenna and power brick tonight.

I don't see your previous comment anymore, so I'll remove my edit aimed at you. I will say the reliability of the service has improved within the last 3 months, but is still subpar for much more than simple internet browsing. I hope to be moving out of Greenville soon and leaving this company behind.

Review by Barryac See Profile

·Argon Technologi..
When I first went with this company they were great, but something happened. The service just got worse and worse and then they put a 100 Gig cap on Data which would have been OK other then they can not seem to properly meter it. They tell me I use over 150 Gig a month for email and face book and a few 2-5 clips on you tube? 150 Gig would be a movie or two every day! So I had to just Unplug my antenna after over 4 hours on hold with them just for them to tell me it was my problem. So I solved it and shut off my antenna. Am using My Iphone until I can find another home ISP, this company is bad news!!

Comments:

Review by w5nl See Profile

• Location: Cumby,Hopkins,TX
Good "Nothing AT ALL!!!"
Bad "Service, Customer service, rude uncaring tech support."
Overall "STAY AWAY. RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!"

·Millenicom
I have been a cool access subscriber since my friend and fellow ham radio operator started the company. He has since sold to Tier One Converged Networks. Start a business, sell for a profit. That's american business. See the second ever review for cool access 7 years ago, that's me.

I subscribe to the $59.95 2.5mbps package. I hardly ever see those speeds. Most of the time it's less than 1mbps. At the time of this review my download speed is .5 mbps with a ping time of over 600ms. I'm getting 1.5mpbs from the cell phone, but that's not constant. The last time I called they told me "It's the same problem that it was the last time(s) you called" Every time I ask "When will it be fixed?" and I get the same reply "30 to 60 days" That time frame has been the same since JANUARY!!! I am fed up with the rude attitudes I get when I call. Their problem has to be babysat by tech support to keep their business subscribers from jumping ship. Service is descent during business hours, and until they go home at 8pm mon-sat. After that and usually within 5 minutes, it goes in the toilet for the night. All day Sunday it's bad. Funny their credit card processing never has a problem. I was credited ONE month service, ONE! This has been going on since November 2010 and all but one month I've paid $59.95 every month. Do the math and I alone should have paid them enough to replace a few AP's.

Thanks for the credit with that money saved I will be switching to another WISP that's not available in Cumby but I can get it because I have a 80' tower in my backyard. I get above the trees and I can see all of Commerce. There they have an WISP which will give me a 6mbps connection for $20 a month cheaper and single hop service to the fiber. Gonna be nice!

The next call I make to TO tech support will be to come get this radio. You can only rip off your subscribers for so long. The rudeness I get from their tech support is unacceptable.

The reason for the"best" on the install process is because I installed it myself. No one climbs my towers but me.(Liability)

member for 3 years, 320 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by ITGeekMonkey See Profile

• Location: Lavon,Collin,TX
Good "A connections, sometimes."
Bad "Disconnect between Office and Outside Techs"
Overall "Poor service, poor customer relations."

##### This review mirrors my review for TierOne Networks due to the fact that Cool Access was acquired by TierOne in 2008 and is technically maintained by the same technicians.

#####

On 07/17/09 I ordered the Platinum Plan 5.0/1.5 Mbps for $49.95 a month which was exactly what I received from Verizon FIOS at my previous home. Install took hours, even though I already had a mast for the radio left behind from the previous owner. Once up and running I did receive the promised speeds but began to have intermittent drops offs in speed down to a dial up level. The inside techs said they needed to do some tweaking on their end but the problem persisted. Tech support then checked & tweaked their broadcast radio but still, the problem persisted. After about one week of this it was determined that other signals in my area were interfering with my radio. I asked what they were going to do about it and I was basically told that they've done all they can and that I could either live with it or they would allow me to back out of the contract. I didn't take that very well and I "kindly" suggested they do some additional brain storming. A day later they called back and suggested that they might have a solution that was suggested by one of their installers/outside techs. The solution was an older style radio with a dish to help isolate the signal from other possible interference.

It worked and I was happy, until...

On 9/9/09 the same tech came back (unannounced) and stated that they were looking into whether to move me over to Cool Access, one of Tier Ones recent acquisitions. The tech claimed their would be no difference in speeds and that it was a pencil pushing procedural move. The tech even called the home office and I heard his end of the conversation where he asked them if my speeds would change. They said nope.

Well, on Friday, 5/14/10 I noticed a huge drop off in my speeds, 1.5/0.5 Mbps. It was late, so I left a message on their voice mail and continued to check the speeds. Monday arrived with no change and I called them because they had failed to return my call.

According to the tech, on 9/9/09 I signed a new contract to be on Cool Access with those speeds AND at the same price I was paying to be on the Tier One Network!. They sent me a hard copy of what I signed and NO WHERE on the new contract were the speeds advertised, implied, suggested or I would not have signed.

What's really strange is the fact that they waited months before throttling me back. I was also told by the inside techs that there was nothing they could or would do to try to get me back to the speeds that I originally had.

I brought this to the attention of the President and CEO of Tier One, Kevin Weaver in an email and a follow up phone call. Mr. Weaver contacted his techs and one day later a solution amazingly appeared.

The solution appeared in the form of another radio, just like the very first, and was pointed at a rarely used Cool Access radio that would allow me 3.0/1.5 Mbps for $39.95. Fortunately, the outside tech was honest, knew his stuff and had initially tried to shoot a signal from a Tier One radio over a mile away but I would have needed a 25 foot tower in order to raise it above a tree line 1/4 of a mile away.

Since that day I've had great pings 25ms to the radio and fairly stable ups and downs. Unfortunately I find myself waiting for the next shoe to drop where I have to do battle with this company in order to hold them to their contract or word.

Honestly, I was so ticked off that I considered Hughes Net or even dial-up just to stop giving this undeserved company my money.

The real frustrating thought is that that I'm just 1/8 of a mile away from Verizon FIOS but the city of Lavon has yet to contract with Verizon for FIOS service delivery.

####UPDATE: 7/23/10

Well, the other shoe has dropped and I'm fighting poor service again! Currently receiving 1.5/0.80 Mbps on a plan that is "UP TO" 3.0/1.5 Mbps. The "UP TO" is the out Tier One has begun to use for the low speeds. Was told by a tech that they are waiting on the FCC to approve a multiple broadcast set-up for the radio I'm receiving their signal from.

For three weeks I've been dealing with this S*** and NEVER was this mentioned during any of the phone conversations. I was only told it was an equipment issue on their end and that they were working on it. That tells me that they are actually WORKING, NOT sitting back waiting on the FCC to approve a new signal distribution plan!!! IF THAT'S EVEN TRUE!! For two weeks I've been sending TO line quality and speed test results, which they said would be appreciated and may help them determine what the issue is with regards to the slow speeds and the poor quality of my VOIP. Meanwhile I'm sitting back hoping that I'm helping them help me, but no one was reading the emails.

I swear I would SELL or RENT this home to get away from this BS with TO if it were not for my Mother, whom has stage 4 cancer and will go under the knife for a third time to repair a hip.

Tier One is a nightmare!

####UPDATE 9/30/10

Around 9/10/10 I began noticing intermittent drops in my service, no WAN IP for a minute or two then I was back up. I called TO and reported the issue after several of these outages, they started to run a line monitor and asked that I call back when any future outages occurred. As I began to call in with my outage reports, and they began to compare them with the traffic on the access point, it was clear to every person I spoke with that they had a hardware problem on their end. At that time I was told they would be replacing the AP but couldn't give me a specific time as to when. I was asked to continue to call in with my outage reports, which I did.

As I'm calling back in these reports, the techs are telling me they have done some tweaking of the AP, including changing the distance settings, rebooting and uploading new firmware. From these conversations I gathered that they were trying to provide me with a stable connection until they could replace the AP but it appears I was wrong.

A little note about one long time technician. I called in with my reports and asked this tech about a time period for replacing the AP. He didn't know that I was told a replacement AP was to be put up as he told me he had no idea what I was talking about. I explained everything again and he said, "Well, you know, there are times when we just might not be able to provide service to certain customers." I'm assuming he meant technically provide service. I thought to myself, you sorry so and so, if that were the case, you shouldn't have contracted to provide the service in the first place. Your company knew the parameters required to provide service to this area. I'm only 1-1/2 miles away from the AP on the Lavon water tower and I'm surrounded by hundreds of acres of open farm land.

I asked this tech to transfer me to someone else that had been working on my issue. This individual told me that the AP would be replaced as soon as they took care of another AP that was totally dead. I told him I understood and would continue to make do. Days later I was told that my problem AP would be replaced on Saturday, 9/25/10. Unfortunately, it rained most of the day and I understood why they couldn't do anything, but again I was told they would get around to it during the upcoming week.

It's now 9/30/10 and no one at TO has any idea as to when this issue is going to be fixed, if they were ever going to fix it at all in the manner I was told they would. It appears to me that they were hoping the button clicking on their end would keep them from actually spending the money to replace the AP. During this past week the outages have come in clusters of 10-15 per hour, some of them lasting for more than 2 minutes. This has caused me to unplug my voip line and only use my cell phone. It has also caused me to lose revenue from my ecommerce sites because I cannot administrate them properly and I'm now having my wife handle any banking activities from her work place. Now I'm being told nothing definitive about when this problem AP will be replaced.

As this problem began to manifest itself, I sincerely got the sense that the representatives at TO had somehow changed their attitude, relative to the past experiences I've had with them. They were much more polite, seemed to care about my issue and actually seemed to have a game plan in place to fix the problem.

In the final analysis however, it seems that my chain has been pulled again, only in a kinder and gentler method this time.

I'll replace the word lie with deception because I feel as though I have been deceived into believing that TO was going to fix this issue in the manner I was told they were going to. Never in my life have I dealt with such a frustrating service issue. The problem with my service this time has been well documented, on my end and theirs, and the solution is as clear as day, replace a piece of failing Tier One hardware but, for any number of reasons they have simply refused to do so.

The overall feeling I have today is that I'm not a good enough customer, that I bother them with these service issues and that they wish I would just deal with it and never call again.

###### UPDATE 10/1/2010

Received a call from TO aka Cool Access to inform me that they had replaced the AP atop the Lavon water tower. I have had been up for over 7 hours and will continue to monitor the connection and update this review as needed.

Comments:

Review by hawkeye_p See Profile

• Location: Lavon,Collin,TX
Good "Free installation"
Bad "Common to see 5-15% packet loss, unknowledgable & unreliable tech support"
Overall "Stay away from this provider unless it is your only option"

This is no longer an independent company, but is owned by tierone networks (www.tierone-networks.com)

The only other option in my area is satellite & a cell phone card. Since I've heard bad things about both, I decided to give the local WISP a try. I'm paying for the most expensive package (60/month) which is advertised as better than DSL or cable at 2.5up/2.5down. It is very unreliable, speeds about half the time in the 500k range, and packet loss higher than it should be. Installation was free and fairly painless, Their access point equipment brand name I was told is confidential information. Tech support seems unsure of how to troubleshoot beyond the basic issues. Engineering support has been pretty much non-existent. So what am I supposed to do with a 500k connection @ $60/month for a 1 year contract... Frustrating, and I would not recommend Tierone or any of their subsidiaries to anyone I know.

Comments:

Review by phoenixtx See Profile

• Location: Aubrey,Denton,TX
Good "faster than dial-up"
Bad "outages, slow server, intermittent latency"
Overall "go for it if it's your only option"

I don't have any input on the order/install process as I did not select Cool Access as my provider. I was a residential RedMoon customer that was switched when RM sold off their residential service.

Initially there were no problems with CA but then they started migrating customers off of RM's network and over to CA's. That's when problems started happening... latency issues made my connection unusable for gaming most of the time. More importantly the latency was causing my VPN connection to work to die constantly. I spent more time re-connecting than actually using it.

Outages were quite frequent, but not due to physical connection problems (I could always ping the gateway, but couldn't get off their network) so I'm not sure if they have routing issues or what.

There were numerous DNS problems also, including an email that was sent out that stated that RM's DNS servers were going to be taken offline so make sure you switched to CA's DNS servers ... and then a blurb about calling support if you needed those servers. WHAT??? Why not just list the damn servers in the email? Even once switched to CA's DNS servers, I routinely could not resolve sites and surf the web so I began using SBC's Dallas and Houston DNS servers.

I had CA service for a grand total of about 5 months and got tired of hearing "we are going to be upping the speeds and offering new packages next month". My 768k/768k package was getting actual speeds of 500/300 according to the Dallas Speakeasy speed test.

I'm now on SBC DSL ... with no problems.

member for 12.6 years, 150 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by jca2050 See Profile

• Location: Caddo Mills,Hunt,TX
Good "Decent speed at times"
Bad "Periodic outages, lag spikes, slow downs"
Overall "Better then modem I guess? In Caddo Mills I suppose you take what you can get."

Installation and everything went ok, I suppose my main complaint is that recently the connection quality has taken a turn for the worst. I'm an avid computer gamer so latency is pretty important to me. Unforunately with Cool Access, playing FPS games on the internet is pretty much impossible. Here's an example of what my latency looks like most of the time:

Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=247
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=264ms TTL=247
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=743ms TTL=247
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=366ms TTL=247
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=247

There's also periodic outages, I'll run a continuous ping on a server and every 5-30 mins or so the connection will completely die, resulting in about 8-9 timeouts, then it comes back. Sometimes really late at night (3am) it's somewhat stable, for lately even at those times it's very laggy. There are moments when the connection is stable and very good, but it seems like those moments are getting more and more rare. Cool Access has the potential to be a great ISP, but they have some work ahead of them. We recently signed a petition to have Verizon DSL installed here and I am counting the days until its available. I suppose my only positive comment about Cool Access is that it's better then modem.... but not by much.

Comments:

Review by dpendergraph See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "All"
Bad "Zero"
Overall "No Problems!"

COOL ACCESS IS AWESOME! Extremely dependable & FAST on-line wireless service! ...only in extremely severe weather will the service be termporarily interrupted. I've been with this company's services for at least 6 months now, and I think I've had a short weather related interuption ONE TIME.

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WAY BEYOND THE NORMAL! Company owner OFFERED ON HIS OWN to work on my virus infected computer!!! We programmed our computers for him to take control of my computer & he worked on it for an entire day from his own office. FREE OF CHARGE!!! I am a home-based business owner, so I depend a great deal on my internet & email service. Cool Access had my internet available to me that same day! They just simply care that their customers are happy!

THANK YOU COOL ACCESS!

D. Pendergraph
www.blossomragdolls.com
www.dallascarriages.com

Comments:

Review by Rick S1 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Overall "Highly Recommend"

I have dealt with several ISPs over the past 5 years and can say that hands down Cool Access is one of the best I have ever dealt with. Their customer service is first class. Everytime I have had to call them regarding any service issues, they have called me back, usually within the hour to give an update. They even returned my call on a Sunday once. My upload/download speeds with their 2.4mhz antenna has been exceptional compared with other DSL providers I have used. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for an ISP that delivers on their promise.

Rick

Comments:

Review by tjudge See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "Better that d/u"
Bad "Very irradic connections, 5x8 & overloaded customer serivce"
Overall "The company does not appear to be deep enough to support it's product"

I switched from satelite (DirectWav) to CoolAccess. Unfortunately, while CA is technically faster, when you compare how much work can be done over a measured timeframe, the turtle is still faster than the hare because DW actually is always connected. I am using the same home network configuration now that I used with DirectWav. I had high hopes for CoolAccess but not a day has gone by since I switched to CoolAccess that I do not suffer either complete loss of service or surfing becomes nearly impossible due to irradic connectins. This will last anywhere from minutes to hours. I have had an independent network service company come out to inspect my home network and they claim there are no problems in my equipment. Repeated calls to CoolAccess cusotmer service, when answered, are met with claims that communication with my radio is not only excellent, but above average. I have patiently awaited for two months for CoolAccess to increase their bandwidth, replace equipment, and kill the smurf attacts with only limited and sporatic successes. I am on the verge of moving to their competition (NetPort) or back to DirectWav.