BroadVoice page on DSLReports

Review by ozvena See Profile

• Location: Valley Park,Saint Louis,MO
Good "not sure"
Bad "Quality, reliability, tech support"
Overall "Cannot recommend"

- Email tech support does not exist despite the fact they do send you some emails but do not replay to yours!!!!

- Quality is often bad.

- Not reliable, do not get ring back, do not get connected 75% of time, but do get charged fot this

Comments:

Review by gunji01man See Profile

• Location: Kissimmee,Polk,FL
Good "broadvoice offers one of the cheapest services"
Bad "not available everywhere, no caller id, no 911, no online call logs"
Overall "cheapest in-state service, but you get what you pay for"

-- update --

service was down for WEEKS! CEO issued press release full of inaccuracies and excuses. this company is the next BroadVox --> aka. out of the consumer business.

-- original review --
WEBSITE:
broadvoices dashboard is not integrated with the website, it's impossible to find or search call logs, many features or buttons mentioned on other parts of the site can't be found in the dashboard

INSTALLATION:
the SPA worked right out of the box, but i had to reconfigure my router because calls kept disconnecting. i don't know how someone inexperienced would know what to do, because there are no instructions on how to set it up.

CALL QUALITY:
the call quality is good when it works, almost perfect. but then the call drops! i've had at least one call drop every day or two and no one seems to be able to figure out why...

RELIABILITY:
see above

TECH SUPPORT:
i've called tech support a few times and they usually pick up fairly quickly. the only problem is that they rarely follow-up or close the tickets! it's good that they get on the phone, but i would like the issue resolved too!

VALUE:
their business plan is in the same ballpark as the other providers, but they are missing key features and many things are not working. isn't callerid the most basic feature on all phone service? why isn't it working outgoing or incoming yet?

member for 10.4 years, 166 visits, last login: 8.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by catomaior See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Price (advertised)"
Bad "Reliability non existing - "Customer support" worse than non-existing"
Overall "Avoid like the plague unless you want to pay for nothing"

Boadvoice, or when the only great things are the promises.

In the beginning, two months ago, they were just great. 20 bucks a month to have unlimited call to Europe were too good to be true. The line had some minor glitches, but they were a great value for the money

Then the problems started: the quality of the line was taking random nosedives more and more often. And the comedy with the drones in their customer support started: no matter what you send them, all you get is a follow up email that asks you again all the information you sent them three days before. I am wondering if there is really a human there, or just an automailer.

The line went worse and worse: bad quality once a week, bad quality once every other day, bad quality every day, no line once a week, no line once every other day, no line at all.

The final touch was losing the dialtone last Sunday.
After six (6) messages to their "customer support" in the last four days and ninety (90) minutes of hold music on their phone line I am still waiting for an answer.
Note that their phone "support" is a long distance call to Massachussets: I guess it is too expensive for a phone company to set up a 1-800 number.
They claim 24/7 service, and are so efficient that even at 3 AM (I tried) you are placed on hold.

The only good thing they had was their price and their services website. The problem is that a flat fee of 20 bucks for a phone that works once a month is no longer a bargain.

Bottom line: stay away from these clowns: they will soon be out of business and this is what they deserve.
The pathetic letter that their president ("They cut our lines because they say that we did not pay the bill, but they are bad people, boo hoo!"), sent three days after the outages started and customer were left out in the cold without any information
is the best example of how they (don't) work.

I will wait until Monday to see if a miracle happens, then I will pull the plug and cut my losses.

Comments:

Review by nacheeze See Profile

• Location: Elizabeth,Union,NJ
Good "Excellent Price"
Bad "Reliability DOES NOT EXIST"
Overall "Good! but can NOT be primary phone."

Hi

I signed up for Broadvoice after looking at their great plans. The startup cost was $76 which included the first month. It worked well for the first month (there were outages but none lasted more than a day)... for the month of May service has been SH*T. The phone has worked for a total of 1 days in the past 14 days. And they are refusing to give any credit as the terms of service state that its a AS-IS service. My question is... if you don't have service for the past 14 days can they quote "Terms of service"???

My suggestion!! if you want VOIP!! consider Broadvoice if all the other service providers have gone out of business!!! Better yet! hook up two cups with a thread and use that. It will be more reliable than this crap. I am cancelling tonight. And i will be dropping them an email to cancel... since i was on phone holding for 44 minutes and could not speak to a rep.

Thanks.

Comments:

Review by tlauret See Profile

• Location: 00000
Good "Cheap, but ONLY IF YOUR DESPARATE."
Bad "This is as bad as it gets. Really just DONT DO IT. Read my review."
Overall "The most awful service I ever had."

Alright I have had broadvoice for about 9 months, and Im well pissed.
First of all, ANYONE LOOKING TO GET VOIP STAY AWAY FROM BROADVOICE !

Unless you really cant afford 20 dollars more for packet8. Dont be cheap is my advise, that 20 dollars will save you 300 dollars worth of hassle if you rely on your line and chose broadvoice.

Since the beginning of the year I have had ( I kid you not NOT EXAGERATED ) 50+ service interruptions. The dial tone just dissapears, sometimes incoming calls do not work, sometimes outgoing, most often both. These are not 5 minute outages either. Most often 2-3 hours but on the last one (which made me quit) it was going past 10 days straight without service. I know for a fact these had nothing to do with my setup.

I lost money, I was frequently pissed off when I picked up the handset to ANOTHER dead tone, my Mom was worried something had happened because she couldnt contact me, and I had to leave my apartment on several occations to make calls.

And lets not leave out the support.

The help desk NEVER PICKS UP THE PHONE. EVER.
I have made 30+ calls and ONCE I got through. Every other time I waited on the answering machine for 40 minutes, and then it cut me off. I kid you not. How is it that a phone company has no phone support ? Maybe they use their own service.

The email staff are totally uncoordinated. I must have made 30 complaints and in the last days of my service when I talked (finially) to the helpdesk, they said they had no record of any contact with me. I made a complaint for every outage when I had the time. They responded on most occations with something along the lines of network upgrade (sorry) or its another companies fault but we are coming to your rescue (sorry). Typically they also replied with the hilarious why dont you give us a call ? From a phone with no dial tone, to a dead answering machine.

Sorry does not cut it.

If you pay a company for a service, and it is intermittant like that, then the company has no right to sell it to you. They cannot maintain the service, they shouldnt take your money for it. That simple.

But it gets worse. When I cancel, after all this hassle - they bill me 49.95. When you first sign up you pay 49.95 for the box you use, which sells retail for 59 dollars. But on canceling, they have billed me that again, and demand return of the box, or else they will keep my money. They claim that is in the smallprint, but even if it is that is a deceptive tactic to milk money. Why not say the unit costs 100 dollars ? and bill that at the start ? And if I return the box and get 50 of the 100 dollars returned, does that mean I paid them 49 dollars, to rent a 59 dollar box, to provide a service which they failed to provide consistantly but billed me for anyway ?

This company stinks. The whole management should be fired.

Yes it was cheap, but useless as a phone line. Perhaps a alternative to phone cards.

BEWARE.

With heinsite I would have paid good money to not have had their service. Genuinely more trouble than its worth.

Comments:

Review by stimey See Profile

• Location: Missouri City,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Cheap for state calling."
Bad "Call quality not good, Zero tech support, Goes up and down all the time."
Overall "Pick another company."

I started with BV 4 months ago and for the first 30 days all was gravy, no issues.
I really thought I found a good deal.

Then it started. Busy signals, wierd tones on the phone, I could hear other peoples calls, people couldnt call me, I couldnt call out sometimes.

Emails to tech support unanswered 95 percent of the time. Once my ticket was supposedly escalated, I never heard back from anyone.

My service has been down now for 4 days or more. I used to have a good impression, but after wrestling with this service for 3 months on and off and now this total lack of phone service, its just not worth it anymore. Time to cancel. Sad part is the start up cost of around 50 $ is down the drain.

Customer service is everything and once you lose it, you lose customers.

Comments:

Review by climbto400 See Profile

• Location: West Columbia,Lexington,SC
Good "nice website, clear rate descriptions"
Bad "horrible reliability, zero technical support"
Overall "STAY AWAY!"

Service is intermittent daily (dreaded 408 Timeout replies from their proxy). Quality is OK when it goes through. I have been contacting support with a log all my service down time but never get a response. The support phone line is always busy (surprise) and they do not respond (in general) to email. The one time they did respond, it was a form letter that didn't say anything. I am almost sure what is happening is that they can't pay their providers and keep getting shut down. If you want reliability or support, stay away.

Comments:

Review by llast08 See Profile

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "It was fairly easy to setup, but..."
Bad "... after that it all went downhill!"
Overall "Stay away from this company"

Service has been down for more than 8 days because BroadVoice cannot pay their bills and have been disconnected by their providers!!!!!!

Beware of this company!

Comments:

Review by crazycub See Profile

• Location: Rancho Palos Verdes,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Price. Easy Installation"
Bad "Reliability, Outages, Customer Support (none, that is), terrible sound quality (none, that is)"
Overall "Started well (About a year ago), but now terrible!"

Started well about a year ago with good sound quality and decent support. However, this company went down-hill fast...Really fast! Calls to Support are not answered and after being on hold for 45 minutes, line gets disconnected. Never a respond to an email. Never! The worst is the outages ,though. As of today, calls are not forwarded as they should. Sound clarity is terrible and many times there is no dial tone at all. Mind you that one would expect issues like these to be resolved within minutes or at most hours... this outage is almost 10 days long with no explanation or update, as if the company was sucked into a black hole and disappeared. BroadVoice was my forth VOIP, and I experienced major troubles with all 4 of them. I am trying one last time with a major provider. I hope it will be better. Word of advice - don't get BroadVoice

Comments:

Review by ClecDude See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "None"
Bad "Pure Service and equal bad support"
Overall "Not worth the Money and Time"

I wonder what they are doing. Since friday the service has been completly unusable. In the beginning you still could make outbound calls but got a fast bussy on inbound. Then it stoped working completly. The only information you get is we are working on it but we have no idea how long it will take. Now if you call support from no matter where after 10 minutes hold time you will get dropped no matter where you call from. Outbound calls in the USA go to nowhere and international calls you get a ringback but after connect you dont have a audio path so you cant hear the far end. That all said i have to say the service sucks from A - Z i have it now for less then 2 weeks and had problems left and right and the customer service is as useless as they come.

I honestly hope the FCC and the Local PUC's will take the needit step to hold providers of voip accountable for this pure service. I work for traditional CLEC and we are required by LAW to report any issue which impacts x % user for more then X minutes on why etc and what we will do to prevent. Since voice is unregulated the VOIP provider can do what he want' as long as he doesnt mind loosing his customers.

So Voip is a great technology but one thing is for sure Braodvoice is the wrong partner, specialy when you can buy unlimited USA LD for less then $ 30 from your ILEC and you at least know it works..