BroadVoice page on DSLReports

Review by heschong See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Fantastic quality, great support, no problems."
Bad "Website doesn't work on MacOSX, relatively high startup costs"
Overall "No-brainer replacement for landline"

When I was shopping around for voip service, I first called Packet8 to find out what codec they used. After waiting on hold for almost 30 minutes, a representative finally came on to answer my question... except that he refused to tell me, insisting that it was proprietary information. Later I found the answer to the question on their website (g.723).

When I called BroadVoice with the same question (BroadVoice uses g.711 currently), I got an unusually helpful response from someone who picked up the phone on the first ring. Shocked, I immediately went to the website to order service. That was on Wednesday, and on Friday had my Sipura SPA-2000 delivered to my house. I hooked it up, turned it on, and had dialtone right off the bat. A configuration setting on my Netgear router kept me from making calls, but a few e-mails to the support team pointed me in the right direction. After turning off the SPI firewalling features in the Netgear, calls to and from my number were fantastic.

Sound quality is amazing, and nobody I've talked to has any idea I'm going through the Internet to get to them. The only problems I've had were a brief inability to call toll-free numbers, for which I e-mailed support. The next day, I got a call from a BroadVoice technician asking if everything was working OK, and when I checked it was!

Starup fees are a little higher than some other services, but given the voice quality and service I'm very satisfied. Also, parts of their user web interface don't appear to work in MacOSX's Safari browser, but that's sort of a nitpick. I am pretty impressed by the quality of a service that is (as I write this) less than one and a half months old.

Comments: