BroadVoice page on DSLReports

Review by matthias8 See Profile

• Location: San Bruno,San Mateo,CA
Good "it (mostly) just works"
Bad "occasionally. rarely, it doesn't"
Overall "A reasonably competent provider"

·VOIPO
We have had Broadvoice for a little over a year, now. And while there are some rough spots, I would rate them quite a bit higher than their current ranking would let on.

But first, the negatives. the most trying time with Broadvoice, was the initial installation. I had tested their service for a month or so, using the phone number they provided. The call quality during that time seemed reasonable, even though, rarely, people on the other end did notice slight delays, or voice distortions. So after that trial period, we transferred our PacBell/SBC/AT&T phone number over to Broadvoice. Immediately, we were in trouble. Due to some misconfiguration at their end all our incoming calls got lost for a whole week. Anyone calling us heard a message that "this number has been disconnected, or is no longer in service". Obviously we were unhappy. The Broadvoice service reps claimed that this was a problem with local phone service provider, that a service ticket had been filed, and that I would need to be patient. But it's hard to be patient, if you know that you are losing important calls every day, and your friends and business associates get the impression that your phone must have been disconnected. Broadvoice did not seem bothered by any of this. After one week, I told them that I would keep calling them daily, raising all sorts of hell, until my problems were fixed, and that surely the $10-30 per month they were receiving from me did not cover the expense of fielding my calls. They relented, and escalated and fixed the problem. At that time, had I been confident that I could have kept my phone number, I would have left Broadvoice. But I wasn't, and so I didn't.

After the initial set-up, I still suffered frequent loss of voice connectivity, setting off another round of calls to customer support. The solution was to change the set-up of my home connectivity, in essence placing the Broadvoice adapter (a Sipura SPA-2100) upstream from my router, and using Broadvoice supplied DNS servers. This was painful, because it significantly degrades my internet connection speed, compared to my initial set-up. But despite best efforts, I just could not get my router to stop interfering with the traffic between Broadvoice and the phone adapter.

This was a year ago. Since then, it works. There are a few small niggles: A few months ago, the phone would ring, but upon picking up, we could not hear the caller. Or we would make a call, but the person we called couldn't hear us. At that time, it took only one call to customer support to get the issue permanently resolved (supposedly a firmware issue). A few weeks ago, I had to try several times to get an outbound connection to Germany; every time I tried, I would get a message in Spanish (why?) telling me that the lines are all busy. Occasionally, our cordless phone's built-in phone book won't work, or it doesn't pick up a ringtone, when it's turned on. We are not sure, if this is due to our aging phone, or some incompatibilities. In any case, the problem is always remedied by hanging up, and trying again. No big deal, there.

As far as the call quality is concerned, I think it is very good, now.As good or better than landlines, even on overseas calls. Also, since my last call to customer service, the reliability has been excellent excellent. As far as features are concerned, I think they are at least on par with everyone else, and their web site provides full functionality, though it is not particularly flashy.

After some really rough times with Broadvoice, their service has really improved for me. I don't know, if this was simply a matter of working out all the flaws in my initial configuration, or if they have improved materially. But now, unlike in the early days, I don't worry about missing calls, or not being able to make calls, when I need to. At the price I pay, I am not complaining

Comments:

Review by bgs7b6 See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "price, lots of features"
Bad "corporate unreliability"

I've been a Business user for 3 months. I originally wanted AT&T Callvantage (after reading almost wholly positive reviews), but I could not establish a new number in my area nor port an existing number (they claimed E911 incompatibility). I've only had 2 problems. Once, my voicemail was wiped out. VERY bad for a small business. I got wise and had Call Notifications and Voicemail Messages (.wav) emailed to me so that I always have a local copy. The only other problem that I have experienced is my own fault for having a shared internet connection that does not recognize and give priority to voice packets, so I'm relegated to making calls before 10am and after 6pm when the 'net quiets down. Wait times for calls to tech support are predictable (5 minutes to 30 minutes); emails are answered within 24 hours. Otherwise, features are great (especially the ease of porting numbers in, acquiring a toll-free number, and BYOD), quality is great, and would recommend for residences and businesses looking to cut communication costs.

Comments:

Review by osoamazin See Profile

• Location: Powder Springs,Cobb,GA
Good "Really fast activation and shipping. Equipment worked, out of the box."
Bad "Activation charges are a little higher than I would prefer but not major."
Overall "After the fiasco of viatalk, these guys are the best thing since sunrocket!"

So after getting spoiled but the good service and support of Sunrocket, I looked at several other vendors. I made the BIG MISTAKE of trying Viatalk. Avoid them like the plague! Over a month to get my equipment and they are sending me cancellation notices for non payment of the monthly junk fee of $2.50?!?! WTF?!?! Told them to take the service and shove it!

Thankfully, I gave Broadvoice a try. Ordered online and had my activation email the same day. Equipment arrived two days later, just as scheduled and worked as soon as I connected it to my network. I sent in my number porting request and got a response one day later with a porting date within a week. That is the kind of response I expect from a company! The wife is loving the convenience of having a phone with unlimited local/long distance again. Thanks a lot Broadvoice!!

Comments:

Review by Cyberian75 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY"
Bad "SLOW CUSTOMER SUPPORT"
Overall "LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!"

·Frontier FiOS
September 2007:

Canceled the service because of high taxes which adds up to be $5.47. Also, their calling rates are as twice as high compared to some others.

I'm now with CallWithUs.com.

August 29, 2006:

Now that my DSL has been fixed very recently, and I'll be getting FiOS pretty soon, I signed up with BroadVoice again as a BYOD customer. I'm using SPA-3000 this time as I've a lifeline.

It's been 3 days since I signed up, and it's been great so far. I had to e-mail customer service twice on different matters, and they replied to both. Average response time is about 16 hours. I haven't tried calling them... I hope I won't need to.

I wish their Unlimited World plans included at least 1 hour/$5 of cellular calls to Asia.

By the way, if you want to save $10 after 3 months, PM me before signing up!

OLD REVIEW:
I've tried Verizon VoiceWing before, but I found it a lot expensive compared to BroadVoice, and its call quality was a bit too loud, not to mention that it was unreliable even during one week I tried it for. I then signed up with BroadVoice, because its BYOD and Unlimited World Plus plans were very appealing -- especially since my mother makes international calls to S. Korea which averages around $15 a month using 1010987. Now she can talk to her family with no worries, thanks to BroadVoice!

Web-site: It'd be improved, but everything on there is functional. I've no complaints whatsoever.

Ease of Installation: I chose the BYOD Plan with Sipura 2000 from Voxilla. It took me less than 30 minutes from sign-up to configuring the device. As easy as ABC!

Call Quality: So far, quality has been as good as, if not better than, the POTS line, for both domestic and international calls.

Reliability: No downtime so far.

Tech Support: It's impossible to reach them on weekdays; however, when they are available and not overwhelmed, they do reply within an hour. Like many other have said, I believe BroadVoice is going through a "growing pain" phase.

Value for money: 100% ABSOLUTELY!!!

UPDATE (02/12):

I had a problem with voicemail, so I e-mailed their tech support. They replied within 10 minutes via phone! You can't possibly expect more than this! And the service has been excellent so far.

UPDATE (03/02):

I had to phone in for support, and it was answered by a very friendly tech in less than 5 minutes! I must be very lucky... heh.

UPDATE (03/06):

Some of their low-level support techs are clueless at what certain things do.

FYI: They're charging in one-month advance.

UPDATE (05/08):

There's a major outage right now, and the service has been very unreliable for the last 2 to 3 days. This is getting very annoying. However, I don't plan on cancelling anytime soon as their Unlimited World Plus plan is too sweet to give up.

UPDATE (05/18):

The servce is about 99% restored, but their tech support via e-mail is non-existent as I've been e-mailing them about a billing issue for a week with no replies at all! Also, according to some here, BV won't be giving out any credits for a ten-day complete outage, so I'm open for an alternative at this point.

UPDATE (06/02):

The service has improved quite a bit since their last major outage, and I've received a $10 credit for it after 2 weeks of constant e-mailing to their billing department. So I'm pretty satisfied with it.

UPDATE (06/22):

I cancelled the service mainly because of a disconnection issue with my DSL. Once I get FiOS, I'll definitely come back!

member for 10.6 years, 2867 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ignavi See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "How they can make international calling so cheap? Flat rate to some countries, and internationall rates very hard to beat."
Bad "Some outages during first months. Not anymore."
Overall "They have nice thing that you can do from their website, Reliable->I use my VOIP as my primary phone, I used Cable internet."

I'm been using broad-voice during 2 years now.

Useful features, like; busy call transferring, voice-mail messages to my EMAIL! great, plus other stuff.

They Have 911 service,

For some reason, I'm unable to change my assigned password to access the website, the password is almost impossible to memorize. (not that important)

I recommend Broadvoice although I never had used another VOIP provider, but let me tell you that is two HUNDRED times better than have a regular phone with bellsouth,

Comments:

Review by kieranmullen See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "US Based Tech Support... For Now"
Bad "Transfer out policy"
Overall "Greta deal for international calls"

Who knows how long before they move their support to another country. I have had them awhile just for an extra number and for call forwarding. I have called tech support off and on as their support is 24x7 and I have always found them to be quite responsive.

I have BYOD and I am using Xlite which I configured myself is a free softphone from counterpath.net If I have a support question I call 611 from the phone and it goes right to them.

They say according to their TOS thatif you get a number from them that it cant be transferred away which I think is not fair. However I believe I have transferred by number away from them just fine and transferred a number from vonage.com to broadvoice.com to replace it and it went through fine. (sunrocket.com was unable to transfer it for some BS reason)

UPDATE: I was able to transfer the number to sunrocket 2 months ago. Sunrocket tanked. Should have stayed with Broadvoice

KieranMullen

Comments:

Review by mAlfunkti0n See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Clermont,OH
Good "Cheap! Voice quality is very good, the DTA is small!"
Bad "Very long hold times for support."
Overall "Great service so far!"

I decided to give VoIP a try since im tired of dealing with my local bell and paying a crazy price for just phone service. It took me a few days to get the device, it was on backorder first, then finally shipped. I only wish they had some other options besides 2 day air from FedEx, I would have rather paid less and shipped via USPS, but oh well.

The device shipped to me was the Sipura SPA-1001. Its TINY and I love that its small. Installation was quick and painless, was up and running in about 10 seconds and was able to make calls. Voice quality is just fine, right on par if not better than my POTS service. Overall I really like this service so far, Ive had no complaints from callers. The only thing they REALLY need to do something about are the hold times when you call in, they are insane sometimes!

Ive had it running for a little less than a week now and have not had any problems with it yet.

member for 10.9 years, 327 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by OnnoBulk See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "All"
Overall "Real value for money!!!!"

Had the service since May of 2004. Moved from Miami to Holland (plan to be here for a couple of years) and took the service with me. I can say that I am extremely happy. Rarely or never a dropped call. Use it even for calls here inside Holland since it is much cheaper then local POTS! I can truly vouch for the quality of BroadVoice. This technology keeps amazing me!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

It's now January 2005 and I am still with BroadVoice. I am extremely satisfied. I have upgraded to the Unlimited World Plan for $19.95, and I am laughing all the way to the bank.

August 2005: Due to circumstances I am back in the US and I am still a BroadVoice subscriber . I have gone through the BV meltdown, which was annoying but not really their fault. They gave me a month free anyway, and that is excellent customer service in my book. Furthermore, considering the price and what you get for it, I will put up with minor inconveniances. Since last month the service has been excellent again. I call mainly within the US and to Europe. My brother in Europe has a BV Unlimited World Plan subscription now too, and he is very satisfied (it saved him a bundle already!!).

February 2007: I am still with BroadVoice and I am still very happy with their service.

_______________________________________________________________

May 2007: I am still a happy camper!!

Comments:

Review by BLL9 See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Flawless voice quality, xlnt features, ultra flexible BYOD options"
Bad "Mercenary attitude towards those who use service to excess."
Overall "A great match to my needs and preferences at a great price."

At the peak of my frustration with Voicepulse (constant outages and choppy sound) I signed up for a BYOD Broadvoice account on Thanksgiving Day, 2004. Amazingly, I was emailed my SIP credentials and account details within an hour, even on a holiday. I plugged the credentials into my Sipura and was off and running.

Audio quality is indistinguishable from POTS. A couple of times I've heard an unusual "underwater" tone on calls, which was remedied by a reboot of my router. The service has been extremely reliable, with only one outage of any real consequence. (The infamous Global Crossing divorce meltdown...) Even that was a partial outage, that lasted part of two days. Voice quality suffered for a few weeks, but soon returned to it's previous high level of quality.

I seldom make out of state calls, but call all over California, so the in-state plan is a perfect match to my needs. (I generally use Teliax, TelePacket or Voxee for my modest out of state and international needs.)

I've had little reason to contact BV support, but the handful of emails I've sent them were always answered, some within minutes, others within days. Still, many others have loudly complained of poor response from tech support, so I've dinged them a bit in that category.

One thing I find very appealing about BV is their amazing flexibility regarding equipment for BYOD accounts. They don't care WHAT you hook up to the service: Sipuras, softphones, asterisk, etc... It's great for someone like me who loves to experiment, but probably not important for the average family who just wants a phone.

After one full year with Broadvoice, I couldn't be happier. Well...if I could get it work with the analog modem in my Panasonic ReplayTV/Showstopper, I'd be happier. Otherwise, no complaints and it's a fantastic value for the money. I cautiously kept my POTS line until a few months ago, but now I've gone VoIP only and feel great to be liberated from the monopolistic clutches of SBC.

UPDATE: 5/16/06 - For a couple of days, I was getting occasional calls where the other party could hear me, but I couldn't hear them. A few others had reported the same issue in the forum, so I placed my FIRST EVER service call to Broadvoice. Due to some of the CS horror stories going around, I was expecting a long hold time, so I put the phone on speaker. Therefore, it was a bit of a surprise when a live-human answered immediately, before even a single ring completed. I had to quickly snatch the phone off the cradle. Chip, the human in question, asked a few simple questions about my device, acknowledged that the proxy server I was using was having some problems, and advised me to try the CHI or LAX proxy. So far, so good.

As I am a self-provisioned, BYOD customer, I completely expected Chip to pressure me into letting them configure my device. Nope, he didn't even suggest it. I like that about BV, they understand that some customers are more technically up to speed and don't want or need to be auto-provisioned.

UPDATE: 2/03/07

As of this morning, I was unable to place outgoing calls. All attempts were met with a female voice saying "You are unable to place this call. Please contact your system administrator." Incoming calls were working fine. Hmmnn. I called the support line, hit "1" on their answering system, and immediately found myself talking to a support rep named Kay. After acknowledging that my device was self-provisioned and that she couldn't directly adjust it, Kay gave some typical, generic advice....reboot everything, shutdown the device for a few minutes, try another proxy server. I was skeptical (having already done all of the above) but went ahead and did as she asked. No luck, so I called support again. Once more, I was talking to a person (Sean) within seconds. I'm really starting to wonder about these people who complain about sitting on hold for hours...it's just not the case, in my experience. I told Sean what I had tried...he clicked a few keys on his end and said "Try it now." Immediately, I was able to place calls.

On both calls, the support reps were polite and friendly, and clearly were not reading from support scripts. Again, they answered immediately (on a Saturday afternoon, FWIW) with absolutely no time waiting on hold.

After 26 consecutive months of service, I have to say that BV is certainly reliable enough for me. I'm nothing but impressed by their support reps.

Comments:

Review by dkla See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good voice-quality, good features, low in-state and int'l plans"
Bad "$1.50 RRF. 3% excise tax"
Overall "Great rates... the company to beat!"

·DSLExtreme Hosting
UPDATE 20 September 06

It has been a while since my last review and I just wanted to update my findings (especially after reading some other reviews about Broadvoice). Yes, service and support was a bit spotty before, but now I'm happy to report that I have been using Broadvoice for 18 months with almost 100% uptime and good (online and on-phone) customer service. They cleaned up their features and website and offer easy LNP number transfers now.

VOIP has grown up a bit, and so has Broadvoice. I would recommend them to anybody seeking a voip line. If you're doing in-state calls only, their $9.95 plans is hard to beat. Great for the casual home line.

----------------------------

UPDATE 15 March 05

Still no number portability, and they have been promising it for over six months now. I asked to suspend my account until they offer LNP but they said they won't honor my request.

My advice would be if you need to keep your number then do NOT go with Broadvoice.

--------------------------
Original Review:

I had already gone through Broadvox Direct and Packet 8 (see my separate reviews) but was still gung-ho on VoIP so I thought I'd give Broadvoice a shot. So far, my first few weeks with BVoice have been quite enjoyable-- they have a very good feature set and voice quality is quite good, and you just can't beat $10 a month for a full-featured phone line!

Ordering and shipping was easy-- I literally had my Sipura the next day!!! And I was using the softphone even before that!

I was a bit wary of BVoice because of the other reviewers ripping apart their Customer Support, but the few times I have called (even at odd hours) they have been quite helpful. Maybe because they were fellow techno-geeks like me and not minimun-wage dummies-- unfortunately as the company grows they will inevitably be forced in that direction...

The web portal is good despite its sparse UI, which is okay I guess when you think of how Yahoo and Google use minimalist UI's as well. At least everything is labelled correctly and under the proper categories. Not all features are implemented yet, but what I have seen so far is already more than the other carriers. Unfortunately the portal does not work great with Mozilla Firefox, so I have to switch to IE to get the CommPort portal working.

We'll see how my LNP process goes, but so far I am quite impressed-- a great $10 phone line (for in-state calls), definitely the best bang for the buck around.

My main concern is how they will handle their "growing pains" but only time will tell on that one.