QuantumVoice page on DSLReports

Review by dslreporter0 See Profile

Good "Cheap, pretty stable voice service"
Bad "Online voicemail system broken for over 4 years. Poor customer service follow-through."
Overall "You get what you pay for. Expect no future improvements."

We have been with QuantumVoice for nearly 4.5 years, and were really excited and happy to be able to support a local company.

The basic voice service is reasonably stable with few outages. However, do not expect a quick resolution when you get an outage. The customer service is mediocre; lacking sincere follow-through. Time frames given for fixes are forgotten, so do not rely on expectations raised for timely resolution of issues.

The online billing system is very basic. Simple tasks like changing a payment method is not obvious or easily found.

Faxing is purportedly supported, but has never once worked either incoming or outgoing.

The online voicemail system has been broken since we became customers. You either receive a DateTime.pm error when trying to view your list of voicemails, or you get array out of bounds errors when trying to delete voicemails. These voicemail issues have been reported repeatedly since day 1, and have never been fixed.

It is sadly ironic that the words "fanatical customer support and reliability" are blazoned across the QuantumVoice home page.

At the end of the day, if you want an inexpensive backup phone at home and are not worried about voicemail; then QuantumVoice is an adequate service.

Comments:

Review by davelissa See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Fraudulant"
Overall "pricey, and not worth it."

January 2011 - gone to the dogs.

or should I say, the dogs have got into Quantumvoice?

From about 4 years of good performance and regular monthly cost, I suddenly got a bill for calling a toll-free number and fees and taxes creeping in, even though their website says that fees and taxes are included.

Note, I use the phone service less than 100 minutes per month - it's just a backup my wife and I have.

I called Quantumvoice 4 times so far to complain about my bill, which now have fees and Michigan taxes (even though I don't live in Michigan). I spoke to representatives - usually after about 15-30 minutes - who promised a call back within one day.

I got ONE call after about a month, with someone called "Tom" from the billing department who apparently hadn't read my e-mail explaining the situation. He left a voice mail saying that they have never charged for calling toll-free numbers (even though it's on the bill as charges for calling 411!).

Stay away - stay far away! Go with VoicePulse or some other company!

---------------

Jan '08 - just an update.

Quantumvoice has given me more and more reason to stay with them; solid, reliable performance. Nary a dropped call for at least 6 months!

If I had more than two thumbs, they'd all be up...

-------------------------
Update 02/07/06

Voice Mail fixed. Also, you can now choose a Michigan number to appear on the caller ID instead of your toll-free number. Two thumbs up.

-----------------------
Update 01/30/06

Had a small issue with Voice Mail (sound quality), and called them three times today - they picked up the phone twice within a few seconds. The third time, I waited a short time, then decided to e-mail, and got a reply within 2 hours.

I therefore revised their CS to 5 (Best).

They're looking into the Voice Mail issue.

------------------------------------
Jan '05:

I have my own Sipura 2100 and decided, based on online reviews and bad experiences with other VoIP companies, to go with QuantumVoice.

I had delays setting up because 1) I was trying to get a 1-800 number, not a 1-866, and 2) I wanted a type of number ending with "PAUL" and 3) this was the period between Christmas and New Year.

I fired off e-mails, and got replies sporadically. The CS personnel were always courteous, and apologized for the delays. They were apparently short-staffed for the holidays, and I can well understand that.

I gave an 80% review on Customer Service due to the delays in contacting them (often a day or two), but if I have occasion to call them in the future and and they provide quicker response, I'll adjust it. For those who are consider getting a new connection thought QV, I don't think this would be a major issue, since the time I was calling them was a busy time. Anyhow, trust me, you won't have to call them very often, and - unlike other companies I could mention - they do answer e-mails.

Once I got the connection, it has been rock-solid throughout. No blackouts, no bad connections, no problems at all.

I have a toll-free number, and my only grouse is that my name on the caller ID always appears as "1-800 Service" and I'm NOT a telemarketer providing 1-800 service!

Other than that, and the lack of being able to choose your own number, I'm quite happy. The call quality is great, I rarely contact customer service, my telephone bill is low...life is great!

Oh, I forgot....the website needs a major update. It's akin to a house without furniture - it does the job, but it's colorless and tasteless!

Dave

Comments:

Review by pungster See Profile

• Location: Jenison,Ottawa,MI
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Calls have been dropping every 3 minutes!!"
Overall "I would avoid this service. My wife hates it"

The service started out okay. I was originally under the $19.99/ month plan then they did away with that plan and I was forced to use the $29.99 plan. The service has been horrible. I've contacted tech support by phone and by email and I haven't gotten any response. I would avoid this company.

7-14-09 Update

After several years of service the company has met and exceeded my expectations. The company was going through a major re-organization when I first signed up. I can no longer tell the difference between lan line and VOIP.

Comments:

Review by collegea See Profile

• Location: Whitestone,Queens,NY
Good "Call quality was Fine"
Bad "Was not able to send faxes; Call Forwarding"
Overall "Terrible Tech Support"

I tested QuantumVoice for a day. Set up and installation were simple. Sound Quality was fine. However, I was not able to send faxes and QuantumVoice's call forwarding sometimes placed a Michigan area code on the number I was forwarding calls to. That was unacceptable. Jeremy, in tech support, was clueless and played the blame game real well.

QuantumVoice was not for me.

Comments:

Review by ga2522 See Profile

• Location: Ravena,Albany,NY
Good "Call quality"
Bad "Website Portal, high prices, deceptive business practices"
Overall "Competition offers so much more!"

--10/10/06--

I thought that I was done "reviewing" this provider but after a billing error on their part. I feel it's prudent to advise people to stay away from this company. It seems they have switched hands and over the last year they went from being the best to being one of the worst options for VOIP. I can't see why people would pay so much money for these problems.. why even leave POTS?

--8/26/06--

I've canceled my service with QuantumVoice as I felt that ultimately they were not listening to their customers about lacking features, poor website, and their higher prices. I emailed them with some constructive criticism and I truly hope they take it to heart and make some serious changes. I felt bad that I left but if they were to make a major turnaround I might consider them again in the future.

--original review-- 9/1/05

I previously used Vonage and was very unhappy with their service. I switched to QV and have been completely satisfied! They were even able to port my Vonage number (which was not from a landline, it was a Vonage number) within 30 days! This answers the question, "Can a Vonage number be ported successfully", yes it can if you have a great company like QV standing behind you! I have emailed QV with several questions via email and also spoken with their staff over the phone, I really feel like they care and always go the extra mile to make sure the customer is satisfied. This was not the case with Vonage. Switching from Vonage to QV is like night and day. I would not hesitate to recommend QV for VOIP.

There are only two features I'd like to see and I know QV is working on them.. Caller ID with name and redesigned website portal.

-------------Update 2/3/06---------------

Just wanted to say that I've had this service now for several months and everything has been working beautifully! I've had no down time and the calls are very clear. The only features I'd like to see still is the name with the caller id and an updated web portal. Some of the features on the website are "Coming Soon" but I wish there was a date of expected rollout on these features. When I email customer service about the features I get a reply very quickly but still no word on exactly when the updates will be added. I'm going to stick with QV because the quality is very important to me and the service is excellent. I just wish they would make some updates to the website and features soon.

-------------Update 4/3/06---------------

Starting to get a little frustrated that caller id (with name) is no further along then it was a year ago. This is a basic feature that all other VOIP providers offer. The discussion forum is no longer available on their website. The ability to place calls via the web portal has never worked for me and now has been disabled. The ability to have busy signal calls returned when available appears to no longer be provided. The website no longer displays the star code to activate this and I've not been able to get it to work. When I called tech support the guy who took the call did not seem to know about it. Several other features that have been labeled "coming soon" for the past year have not been launched. I'm wondering what the hold up is. I feel that value is declining because of these issues. Quality is still great but features are lacking and website still needs major overhaul.

-------------Update 6/23/06---------------

I had an issue where some incoming callers would hear a message saying my "phone number was disconnected" or "you have reached a non-working number I S U P" to which I emailed QV support about. Shawn emailed me back with a solution very quickly and he explained that because I had my filters in the phone portal set to send certain area codes to go to voicemail and QV had a problem with their voicemail system it wasn't allowing certain calls to go through. I followed his advice and the problem is now solved.

Comments:

Review by sderring See Profile

• Location: Reynoldsburg,Franklin,OH
Good "Fantastic tech/customer support."
Bad "No CID with name"
Overall "Can't beat good ol' American tech support."

After 5 months of service from Quantumvoice I can recommend them to anyone. It works right out of the box and thanks to my excellent ISP (Wide Open West), I have had rock steady phone service. Absolutely no outages.

I had one routine billing issue and a tech issue. The billing issue (expired debt card) was resolved over the phone in minutes and answered by an actual person on the second ring. The tech issue involved call filtering and was handled mainly via email. On one occasion tech support actually called me! It took them 5 months to resolve the issue but the communication from Quantumvoice was excellent so I wasn’t loosing sleep over it and in the end they fixed it.

My only criticisms are Quantum’s really sad web site and no name with caller ID. The web site is functional but slow and sparse. I knew Quantumvoice didn’t offer CID with name going in so I can’t really complain but it is such a basic feature there is no excuse for not offering it. They have so many other great features, it’s surprising this isn’t one of them.

After a year of deplorable service and support from Vonage and another year of WOW phone with it’s even worse web portal and weak feature set, Quantumvoice is a breath of fresh air.

================================================================

QuantumVoice has doubled their fees in the short time I have been with them. I just got a bill for $39.74 and there is no way I am paying that for VOIP. Needless to say I just signed on with another provider for $14.99/mo. QV provided great service but their fees are approaching POTS so I had to pull the plug.

member for 12.5 years, 1559 visits, last login: 315 days ago

Comments:

Review by nirolO See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "High quality, good price, BYOD allowed, complimentary e-fax #, responsive CS"
Bad "Horrible accounting, no caller ID with name"
Overall "Was a good experience until they started sending erroneous bills"

ORIGINAL:

QuantumVoice is my first VoIP provider. They were the only ones who were able to tell me quickly whether they could port my existing number. Fortunately they also were a highly rated provider, which I can now concur with.

Getting my number ported from Alltel caused the order to be delayed for a month. This is Alltel's fault, I am pretty sure - it seems like they were waiting for the end of my billing cycle. Finally I got an email saying the port was going to happen - the very next day at noon! QV overnighted my equipment (a Sipura SPA-2000) and it got there the morning of the port. Provisioning called me around 2 PM and asked if everything was okay, because they hadn't seen a connection yet... I just hadn't been home from work to have an opportunity to set it up.

I got a dial tone and could call out as soon as I turned the ATA on, which surprised me because I was expecting to do a little more configuration. I did want to assign a private static IP instead of DHCP, and the QV support page provides info on how to do that. During one of my first calls to my work voicemail, I lost the ability to enter menu options, so I emailed QV support about it. They responded quickly with a configuration change to the ATA and all was well.

I have two DirecTivos and QV's FAQ says they don't support satellite receivers that need to call out. However, after some research I was able to get the RCA series 2 to call out by using ",*99" as the dial prefix. Still having trouble with the series 1 (oddly it sounds like other people have less trouble with the older Tivos).

I'm hoping they'll get enhanced caller ID rolled out soon. On their forum they've been promising it since about March 2005. My guess is they've committed to implementing it as time permits. After call quality/reliability, caller ID is the most visible and frequently used feature. Although if they're prioritizing E911 over enhanced caller ID, that's fine with me.

UPDATE (2006-07-06):

Something major has changed with these guys. Stay away. They've suddenly engaged in creative and imaginative accounting practices to backbill those of us on the deprecated Regional plan. They're now saying that the 250 minutes of LD really meant 250 minutes of any type of call, even local. When the original web page cache is thrown in their face, they say it was incorrect. Regardless, they are ignoring the 250 minute thing altogether and charging for each and every call made.

Going to have to start looking for a new provider, unfortunately. I suspect the reason they closed up the forums so suddenly was they didn't want a slew of people getting on there and complaining about their new underhanded practices.

And they never did get that caller ID with name going they promised was coming soon, back in March of last year.

UPDATE (2006-07-10):

Just got an email from QV stating that their billing software was in error due to the plan changes and that I would be credited for usage. While this is better than having to argue it any further, I don't understand why they didn't suspect the billing system in the first place, knowing that they'd just changed it. From the start they could have stated "we agree this is unusual, please wait while we examine your account". Lots of places have billing errors from time to time and it would have been understandable. Unfortunately, the way they tried to pass it off initially was somewhat sleazy.

member for 14.2 years, 3508 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ggulik See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Sound quality excellent, support usually very responsive."
Bad "Website atrocious, no caller-id w/name, voicemail problems, lacks many features."
Overall "Very basic and good sound but lacks many features. WAY better providers out there."

I switched to this company because of good reviews on dslreports. I was tired with Vonage and the terrible sound quality and tech support so I picked this company. I wish tech support was more consistent. When it was an easy problem, they quickly answered. When I asked a harder question I never got a response.

For the most part the sound quality was excellent, WAY better than Vonage.

Now, the bad parts:

In the two weeks I had the service (May 2006) the voicemail stopped working twice. Tech support fixed it quickly both times but both times it also took me a day to realize voicemail hasn't been picking up.

The website is horrible, as others have reported. It's very basic and lacks MANY features.

The voicemail attachments were a problem for me. They were in WAV format but had some strange GSM encoding that I had a hard time finding an application to play.

At first I thought caller-id with name wasn't a big deal. After two weeks I realized I had gotten used to it.

For the record, I switched to VoicePulse after canceling QuantumVoice and although it's early I'm MUCH happier with the service.

Anyway, VOIP has been a rough ride for me, first with Vonage and then QuantumVoice but I like the idea and I'm determined to find the perfect provider.

member for 12.4 years, 150 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by isvirtual See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Easy to install, good voice quality"
Bad "service interruptions, poor user website, diminishing functionality"
Overall "RUN"

Transferred to QV from SprintSense 12/26/2005. The service was easy to setup and use. After 2 days, my system dropped offline. I have to reboot my cable modem, hub, and ATA to restore service. This happened at least twice per week for 2 months. Customer service gave me some things to try and nothing worked. This was a real problem when I was traveling and the phone is dead at home.

Transferred to Vonage. Their dial tone quality has been outstanding. I have had none of these drop out problems.

I submitted an LNP on March 11. On March 28 or so I called QV customer service to find out why my LNP had not transferred. I was told their carrier had to release it but they would not give me the carrier name or number.

It is now April 29 and my LNP has not yet been released. This has been over 45 days. I'm paying for service I cannot use just to keep a number I've had for over 10 years. Their service is not responsive. I feel like I'm being held for ransom.

Their website featured a forum that is no longer active. There is no answer on their customer service phone number.

Comments:

Review by isvirtual See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Good reviews, Nice sales website, voice quality is decent, tech support is responsive"
Bad "Poor service, Poor user website, advertised features not working"
Overall "RUN!"