BabyTel page on DSLReports

Review by xrxca See Profile

• Location: Okotoks,AB
Good "Price, Support Techs, Line Quality"
Bad "Support Response Time"
Overall "Easy switchover, reduced costs and improved options"

We've used babytel for our Fax line / second outgoing line for 7 years and it's been close to flawless, so we recently switched our Telus business landlines over to Babytels hosted business service, with Aastra 6731i phones in both home and office locations.

The switch over was easy (and as quick as could be expected coming from Telus).

We now have direct lines plus the added ability to integrate the phones into our CRM system. Both clients and users have commented on the improvements.

Once we got a hold of a tech person they were quick to answer the questions we had regarding administering the phones, but they could improve their response time (One early question took over two days to be answered and it was prior the switchover so you'd think they would want to respond quick to get a customer, we weren't phased by it as we'd had the fax line with them for ages and had seen that response time before, but it may put off potential customers that would be well served by babytel.)

Comments:

Review by MEeastern_ca See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Bad "Lost VOIP phone service to my number"

I lost calls to my number using Babytel.ca (People would call and the phone number just rang without going to voicemail or ringing). Babytels response is that my number was ported out. When I asked who ported my number they responded they did not know. This is not possible for a VOIP provider to not know where your number is ported out as you the owner must consent to having your number ported. The manager gave me 1 month free service for this error but Babytel never provided an answer for the lost of my phone service for a few days.

also trying to enter questions on there web site would not register with errors preventing me from entering on line text questions or problems.

Comments:

Review by mal315c See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Amazing quality, great prices, all the features you can think of."
Bad "There's absolutely nothing bad about Babytel."
Overall "If you're looking for any VOIP provider, choose Babytel."

I've been with Babytel since February 2009. I've also registered my mom with Babytel and it's worked flawlessly for both of us.

The prices are extremely competitive, the quality is great. It was easy enough to set up and their technical support is far superior to any other. Any questions you might have they'll answer and quickly too.

All I have to say is that if you're searching for a VOIP provider you should choose Babytel. Don't go with Vonage, Rogers, Videotron or any other. Give Babytel a try and you will not be disappointed.

They give you all the features you could possibly think of without charging you an extra penny. They don't try to match or compete with Bell's phone plans (like Rogers or Videotron) they simply beat them out right.

Out of all the companies I've dealt with I've had no greater pleasure then dealing with Babytel and I could not stress that enough.

I'm extremely satisfied and you will be too.

Another note is that you can manage everything online through their web portal, call history, payment history, change payment method, change the number of rings, set the email for your voicemail, set a forward number incase the internet goes out, set your 911 location, it's awesome.

Comments:

Review by maximeqc See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Cheap, good quality, good service"
Bad "Some time choppy but not their fault"
Overall "I highly recommend them"

Been with Babytel for 5 months now. Was with Bell hardline before but was paying about $45 a month. Babytel is really cheaper and offers few options I didn't had before like getting my voice mail sent to my email.
Works well with my alarm system.

Comments:

Review by danielleter See Profile

• Location: Almonte,ON
Good "Cheap, Great Customer Service, Great Long Distance Rates, and I love being able to stay independent and stick it to the man!"
Bad "Occassional VOIP related call quality issues, not BabyTEL's fault."
Overall "If you're going VOIP, go BabyTEL!"

I have been a BabyTEL VOIP customer for almost a year now. I used this site to choose BabyTEL, and my most important factors were:

- Cheap

- Good Customer Service

- Ability to keep my old number and phone

- Lots of features

I decided to switch because I had been with Rogers for a year and a half, and every month my bill got higher and higher until it was around $150 for phone, long distance and internet, which to my mind is completely outrageous. I looked for alternatives and came to this site to read reviews.

I just wanted to pay it forward, and say that BabyTEL has been great. Any minor problems I had were quickly corrected by email (my preferred method of dealing with technical issues) and my bill has consistently been under $25 / month CAD, including 911 service fees. My package is "Canadian Village Unlimited", which makes it so calling major Canadian cities (where most of my family and friends are) is just like calling within my own area code, ie. free! Other long distance, IE. to the UK, the US and my tiny home town are laughably cheap compared to the big companies, usually under 5 cents a minute. Low enough that I don't usually notice a change in my bill when I call outside of the "Canadian Village."

Another great perk of VOIP was not having to pay a moving fee when we moved in November - I just unplugged the BabyBOX, logged into their website to update my location for 911 purposes and we were all set. Many of my friends and family didn't even know I had moved, they just called me as usual.

One of my favourite BabyTEL services is forwarding the calls to your cell when the internet goes down, so you never miss an important call.

My call quality has been generally good, with some garbling in the evenings when the load on the internet is particularly high. The tech people say that there is not much they could do to improve the signal, so I've just had to bear with the minor inconveniences. For a while, I thought my outgoing call quality was terrible, but then I learned that my phone was just broken. Ha. A new phone corrected the problem immediately.

To sum up, If you can afford to lose your phone in a power outage or when the internet crashes, then you should be cool with VOIP. If you want a great Canadian VOIP company, then I totally recommend BabyTEL. A great value for a great service, with excellent support. And you keep your money in Canada!

Comments:

Review by ethical See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "price, packages"
Bad "call quality, tech support, communication in general, website help section"
Overall "going to cancel if it does not improve"

I signed up with babytel due to the reviews on this site but i have been nothing but displeased with the service. this is the one month review (approx)

let me first start by saying initial communication from babytel was abysmal. I do have my own appliance (the same one they send you as their own babybox so quality should be the same, the linksys spa2102) I did not receive any information on how to actually configure the thing and spent hours searching on the internet trying to find the configuration options. I finally got a response back saying they had to charge me an extra $5 to do it the way i wanted. I was just asking about the setup because i had no idea how it worked so the logical thing in the router config was to set a username, proxy and password. Finally got that resolved that i had to add a line of code to lock the box to their service, which i had no problem with, but they never sent this info to me nor is it in their help pages??

Now the service, I don't use the phone much but when i have most of the time there is some sort of issue. The first long call we had (about an hour) had a faint echo on the receivers end. The next one the user could barely hear us because it was breaking up (we could hear them fine).

Then we tried called the UK and it said to call customer support, it would not let the call through. Their response was that there is a limit of $10 for long distance. OMG what? at first i thought this was per month then found out it was per day (more reasonable). Problem is, we had not even used the phone that day!! had not used a single minute! Still no response from support as to the solution of calling our UK friend and that was a week ago.

I just finished a call in which I heard myself echoing. Really frustrating. I've only actually had 2 good calls, clear on both ends but those were short 5-10 minute ones.

I know the connection can have something to do with call quality but am using SHAW high speed internet which I would think would be sufficient enough. Also asked them to set 711 protocol as no compression should result in better call quality.

lastly, the support section on their website is tremendously lacking.

support reps never really seem to understand the question or the problems which is also frustrating.

overall I am getting ready to switch to unlimitel as am not pleased with the service. if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. Am using the Linksys SPA2102

UPDATE July 3rd: well i cancelled due to more troubles, voice mails were not being received (at least 6 that i know of) and sometimes the phone would not ring and the other user would just get a weird tone. I am done with trying to be loyal to a canadian voip provider, i have switched to callcentric just know and only took 5 minutes to get it all working! sure best the 2 days it took babytel.

Comments:

Review by tmcquaid See Profile

• Location: Pickering,ON
Good "Call Quality, Tech Support, Telephony Features, Dual Locations 1 Number"
Bad "Limited area code availability; Hotline ME product is cool but pooly supported"
Overall "Great service; Reasonable Rates, Beats Bell POTS hands down"

I did quite a bit of research on VOIP services before choosing Babytel about 2 years ago. The main reason I chose Babytel originally was because they support a single telephone number in more than one location (up to three devices on one line). I didn't see this service offered by anyone else at the time. We have a cottage that we are at frequently and wanted to be able to have just one number to contact us no matter where we were. The voice mail to email,, unlimited local/long distance, call display, call waiting and call forwarding are very cool features at a single all inclusive rate.

We recently installed high speed internet and purchased another "Babybox" for our cottage - the cost is $5 extra per month for the additional "Babybox". It behaves pretty much like a 2nd line, but at a fraction of the cost - you can even call your own number and it will ring in the other location! (Perfect for us as my family is at the cottage all summer while I am at home working - we can call each other for free). The phone rings in both locations when we receive a call and whoever picks it up first gets the call. You can call out at each location simultaneously. It is even better than I thought it would be with the ability to call your own number.

I would highly recommend BabyTel to anyone looking for a VOIP provider. They support their product well and although I had a couple of minor problems when I first set it up, I've been working well for two years with no complaints.

Comments:

Review by sgiles See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Excellent tech support - very responsive. Good call quality"
Bad "None I can think of."
Overall "Good company - good product, good service"

I've been with BabyTel now for about 2 months, and am very pleased with their service.

Order process was relatively painless, though I did have to pay for the ATA, which is locked to their service, so their was a bit of up-front cost involved.

I did have one problem with my outgoing voice breaking up, but their tech support, over the phone, actually isolated it to the fact that my Panasonic wireless digital gigarange 5.8 Mhz phone basestation was just above the ATA (Linksys RT31P2) and there was actually RF interference with the ATA from the phone basestation. Once I moved the phone basestation away from the ATA, the problem went away. In other words, not a Babytel problem, but they solved it and kept a customer. Pretty impressive.

I've been very pleased with the quality of the voice connection, certainly locally, but even to places like China. Their rates overseas are quite decent - not rock-bottom low, but then they are also providing a quality connection.

I particularly like their voice mail - mailed to me as a .WAV file, as well as recoverable from the handset. Nice when I'm on the road.

I use the $10.95 pay-as-you-go plan. It works well for me - good value for a second line in the house.

Well recommended!

Comments:

Review by ahamel See Profile

• Location: Grand-Mere,QC
Good "Très bonne qualité sonore, excellent soutien (en français)"
Bad "Le site web n'est pas convivial"
Overall "Excellent rapport qualité / prix"

Après deux années pénibles avec Vonage, je suis enchanté depuis 6 mois du service de Babytel. Aucune panne jusqu'à présent. Et une qualité de son qui n'a rien de comparable avec Vonage. Babytel offre moins de "gadgets" que Vonage, mais ceux qu'il offre fonctionnent à merveille.

• Location: k2p2p
Good "Good Price, service as stated, no lock-in required, no cancellation fees"
Bad "Some info missing in paperwork re VM dial in numbers, but otherwise very good"
Overall "More impressed than I imagined with ease of use, price, set-up ..what a difference from Bell."

Hello,

Recently I ordered Vonage in Canada. I promptly cancelled, due to
issues with incorrect information from start to finish. The time trying
to resolve the issue(s) was too lengthy.

I went looking on-line for an alternative, and found it with Babytel.
Since sign-up to babyTel, I have had exactly what I expected for
slightly better pricing than Vonage, and no customer cancellation fees.
The option of renting the phone box was good for me, in case I didn't like the service. Set-up was so easy, especially for a non-technical person.

I don't plan on cancelling, and highly recommend babytel. As a note, I cancelled Bell Canada, due to extended service related and billing errors and the expense, that eventually had my writing to the President of Bell Canada. The response from the Bell head office was - too bad. The Vonage sign-up, was turning into one of those and I simply cancelled.

(review was emailed from domain kpmg.ca)