Antietam Cable page on DSLReports

Review by memnoch8 See Profile

Good "Speed, reliability"
Bad "Customer service, provisioning of cable modems"

Right now, only my server machine can get on the internet. Yesterday I took the VOIP converter back and put the regular cable modem on. Asked them to provision it the same way. Evening tech support told me I had to do it myself by logging into the cable modem. Idiots didn't even know that logging in locally won't provision for multiple machines and IP addresses. Plus the supervisor told me today she would fix the problem, and it is not fixed 8 hours later. Since my server's IP is in the root servers, I have to have it up. So I can't access the internet with my other machines. Their tech support sucks.

Comments:

Review by NotHappy1234 See Profile

• Location: Clear Spring,Washington,MD
Overall "Horrible company! Don't use them!!"

If I could I would rate them at a 0. This is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. I would never recommend this company to anyone. They do not put the customer first. They won't listen to you and when speaking with their supervisors and directors is the worst experience of it all. They interrupt you while you are talking and don't help you. This company should be put out of business until they figure out how to treat people. Don't waste your time with Antietam Cable because it will only we a hassle and in their eyes they will always be right and they will never help you. They scam you out of money by not telling you the small important details!

Comments:

Review by barbedwireD See Profile

• Location: Hancock,Washington,MD
Good "Not much"
Bad "Massive packet loss"
Overall "I made a big mistake dropping Verizon dsl"

My dsl went out completely, dreading calling India for multiple days I decided to go with Antietam cable, effectively tripling my speed for $2 more a month. Speed tests show this to be almost true but after having problems streaming movies and videos I dug in with the tools on this site and some basic pinging to find that I mostly show 25 percent or higher packet loss. My modem signals are well within the acceptable ranges. I've ran a dedicated line to the modem with no changes. My 3Mb dsl streamed content much better, but alas I dropped my dry loop line and there is no going back now, I'm sad

member for 10.9 years, 542 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

PDK

@myactv.net

Packet loss

Yes, they have been having expecially bad issues this month. Not so much an issue with them, as it is the upstream providers they choose to use, continue to have issues, and they refuse to route around the issue. They should just drop these bad providers they claim won't fix their networks, and use someone reliable.

It's their fault though, they made the choice to use crappy upstream providers, and push those issues down to their customers, and claim they have 0 control over the issue.

Review by NotHappy1234 See Profile

·Antietam Cable
This is the most unpleasant company to work with. They don't communicate with the people who are paying them money! I originally set up for wireless Internet service. They said everything was ready to go. When they came out to do the install there were no cables run to actually set it up. We had to wait about a month for them to get all of that done. When the appointment was set back up we set the appointment to have the service installed finally. The guy comes to install regulars Internet instead of wireless. We had to wait for him to go get the correct equipment. I called to request free install since there has been so much inconvenience and poor customer service. A supervisor was oddly never available to speak with me. I am in customer service and I have never been so poorly treated by a company. I highly recommend not to use Antietam! They are awful and just give their clients the run around!

Danielle

Comments:

Review by crashman2600 See Profile

• Location: Frederick,Frederick,MD
Good "High Speed access in Wash Co."
Bad "$39/mo for 1.8down and 256k up"
Overall "Wish I had comcast still."

I recently moved to Washington County. I tired to get DSL but my LL is 18338ft. Just out of reach of DSL. So I went with the only other option. Antietam Cable. The sales person was friendly enough. I requested a 4pm or later appointment on my move in day. They said they would try but not promise anything. They called the day before and gave me a 2-6 window. I said, dont come until after 4pm or I wont be there. When did the installer come? 2 and 3pm and they wouldnt come back. I had to reschedule for 5 days later. The installer arrive on time and proceeded to do the install. He did fine but was a little put off by my wireless router. I said dont worry, get me a sync light and I will do the rest. Speeds are slow compared to the comcast service I used to have. World of Warcraft and Guildwars works ok. Its better then dial up..

Comments:

Review by tehasdf5 See Profile

• Location: Boonsboro,Washington,MD
Good "It works from time to time?"
Bad "All"
Overall "Only if you have to"

The only GOOD things about Antietam:

Cheap IP's
Open port 80
Free static IP for business

And that's where it ends.

Yes, it does go down from time to time. Yes, it is slow a (decent) amount of the time. Ping's vary, fluctuate, for on real apparent reason. Sometimes for days on end. Tech support is never aware of any issues.

Working for an internet based company, I opted for their Business Level 1 Service (ooooh), so I could achieve 256Kb up, as opposed to the 128Kb up (as I'm commonly VPN'ed / RDP'ed into the office or vice versa), and the typical 1.8mb down. For this, I pay 59.99 per month. But don't get me started on that yet.

Installation: techs were, well, alright. At least they got it to work. Though they were somewhat confused. Typical "they showed up when I wasn't home even though I gave them a time and they left anyway" installation scenario, but, that happens everywhere.

Onto the biggest problem (as aforementioned), the price. The value. Or, lackthereof. For $59.99 at another cable company. Say, Comcast, I could get what, 8 down and 1 up? Even their business level service isn't THAT much more expensive than Antietam, with over quadruple the speeds. Not a day goes by where my co-workers (who have comcast) aren't surprised that I pay $59.99 for 1.8mb down and 256k up. And I don't blame them. I use Antietam ONLY because I have no choice. If I had one, I'd be elsewhere.

I can only hope one day Comcast comes to my area, and I can kiss Antietam goodbye.

Comments:

Review by olepi See Profile

• Location: Hagerstown,Washington,MD
Good "Reliable connection, faster than advertised"
Bad "None that stand out."
Overall "A good cable internet provider - abeit the only one serving Washington County, MD."

It only took four days from the time I ordered to get hooked up. They even hooked be up on a Saturday. There is no contract, although one is able to get a better price if you have television services with them. If you don't have cable tv, it costs $10 more.

Installation went great. The tech showed up on time and had me up and running in under half an hour. He must've had a busy day however, because when he left, he forgot to take his 32' latter with him. It was up against the pole for quite a while before he came and retreived it.

I've been with Antietam Cable for over two years and haven't had any problems. I originally got 1500 down and 128 up. Recently, they increased it to 256 up without any price increases. Being a small company, I doubt we'll be seeing the 3-4 mbit download speed our Comcast neighbors have to the South. Although I hazard a guess Antietam's customer service is better than Comcast's.

When we first got cable internet, Antietam Cable was the only broadband provider to serve the Hagerstown area. However, since then, Verizon has started offering DSL. We don't have a landline connected to our house. We use our mobile phones as main telephones. DSL may be cheaper by itself, but cable still ends up being the better deal after all. Especially when you're already paying for cell phones.

All and all, Antietam Cable has provided me with a solid connection for two years. If you're in the Washington County area, give them a try.

My equipment is a self-bought Motorola SB5100 connected to a Linksys Wrt54g router. The ip address dynamic, though mine has only changed once in two years.

Comments:

Review by stillrunnin See Profile

• Location: Hagerstown,Washington,MD
Good "always get a tech. never been on hold for more than a couple minutes. knowledgeable."
Bad " have not found any."
Overall "all around good company to deal with."

antietam cable is by far the best that I have used. always get a tech. also, most times you get the same tech and he or she remembers you. hows that for personal intrest. they rock.

myactv.net

member for 10.8 years, 1601 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Saxie2 See Profile

• Location: Hagerstown,Washington,MD
Good "Techs are quick to pick up, Service is very reliable."
Bad "Techs could be more knowledgeable."
Overall "They are the best in this area."

The Service was much better than before. Now our speeds are 1500 down to 256 up. All for the same price 39.99 a month, with no contract required. You have a dynamic ip, which doesn't really change that often. A pop e-mail server with a healthy 7 accounts possible. Installation was within 5 days of me paying for the service. Service is very reliable. With little to no down time at all, which is a huge plus. And the Techs are there, and with no 'hold time' at all when you call. Speeds do fluctuate, and when they do it is usually quite a bit, and goes on for a couple of days. Lowest I have seen is 300 down 96 up, but this was very brief after alerting Tech Support that the speeds were this slow. The tech support in this sense, is VERY quick to react.

Several times I have called tech support and several times they have wanted to fill out a work order for someone to come to my house. When all I needed was the connection reset, since I was hooking up a different computer. But other than that, I really never have a problem with the service, so I never have to call often.

In summary, there is no one that is providing broadband better than Antietam Cable, in the Washington County, Maryland area. And with the connection almost have no down time, I cannot complain.

Comments:

Review by gunner1 See Profile

• Location: Hagerstown,Washington,MD
Good "Great service, Never down, A Tech to talk to, Fast speed"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "A Great Small Company"

This is a very small company in Washington County Maryland. Very fast install and no down time. When I updated my desktop I needed help setting up the network. I called and was never on hold. Yes, that is right the Tech answered the phone. I know there is someone there 24/7. I have called a few times with tech questions and there has always been someone there to answer. I feel like I have my own personal technician. They are very knowledgeable technicians and I do not have to go through anyone else to get to them. Speed is always above the advertised rate. One of the best companies I have ever dealt with. I have been very happy with them.

They also have differant plans for more speed which is very nice.

member for 13.4 years, 1591 visits, last login: 300 days ago