3 Web page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by cadm18 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC

Comments:

Review by snowdog_ix See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Value, price ($42/month for dsl&phone, $0.04/min LD), honesty"
Bad "Mediocre service, reliability"
Overall "You get what you pay for, but good value when compared to others"

Calgary - Had been a Telus customer for several years and finally cancelled due to the service outages, unanounced (and unagreed to) big rate hikes charged to my credit card, cheap rates only being offered to customers who jump ship all the time, misleading people, etc. Shaw has a reputation for better service, but still plays all sorts of dishonest pricing games with loyal customers like Telus does and is also very expensive. So a year ago, thought I would give Cybersurf/3web a try for my high speed internet and digital phone. They had recently been bought out by a company down east.(Distributel?) They were ridiculously cheap for my phone/internet package and long distance calls. You know, they aren't great, but have been very good value for the money. Technical service calls usually mean leaving a message and having someone phone you a couple of days later. There are occasional service outages, but not worse than Telus was. But I love looking at my credit card statement every month and feel there is much more value and honesty than I ever got out of those turkeys at Telus.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

• Location: l5g3y
Good "5meg DSL+VOIP for $45 - Good tech support - Great Value"
Bad "Connecton issues between carrier and reseller - eventually resolved, but took time"
Overall "You need to be a little tech savvy, be prepared to troubleshoot, but worth it in the end."

I have been with 3Web using their DSL + Phone service for about 6 months and have had excellent service, excellent tech support and no issues with their connection after the initial issues were resolved.

One thing I would like to point out is that if you are making the switch from a standard analog phone to VOIP, it isn’t necessarily plug and play.

You also need to be a little tech savvy in order to:

1. Disconnect your analog phone system and connect it to the VOIP terminal / DSL modem combo yourself.

2. Understand that 3Web is a reseller and does not have its own copper/cable system, it uses Bell for its DSL and Rogers for cable.

3. Realize that there may be a few bumps on the way.

4. Verify your connection and speed, after your installation, be proactive.

That being said, my connection to the VOIP system from analog occurred seamlessly on the specified day, however I was having some phone connection problems.

The new phone/internet system worked, but after performing a speed test I discovered that I was only connected at 2MPS instead of the advertised 5MPS.

It turns out that (according to 3 Web) if your bandwidth drops below 2MPS on your internet, you may have issues with your VOIP, which we were having (dropped calls, no far end ring etc).

A call into 3 Web tech support provided me with a service ticket and the tech and I verified that I was only getting 2MPS at the Demarc box, so the house wiring was fine.
3 Web then sent in a ticket to Bell Canada and I received 2 call backs from 3 Web on subsequent days to check whether the Bell tech had arrived.
The Bell tech verified 5MPS at the Demarc, so now I had to prove to Bell that I was only receiving 2MPS.
Again 3 Web sent Bell out again and they found a bad line driver on the trunk from the Bell switch to the house. After its replacement, I was still only getting 2MPS.
A third call to Bell from 3 Web resulted in the Bell tech tracing my line from the house to the Bell main switch, where it was discovered that I was plugged into the wrong port. Once settled I am now receiving a consistent 4.35 – 4.8MPS on my DSL line. The 3 Web techs checked in twice more to verify my bandwidth over the next two weeks before closing the trouble ticket. So as it turned out, my problems were with the carrier and not the reseller. Although the entire ‘repair’ took two weeks, it was a lot of waiting and setting up times when I could be at home. 3 Web also credited me for the two weeks that my service was not up and running correctly (tech support told me to contact accounting, without me asking).

I work in the electronics service sector and can only say that the 3 Web service and tech support crew are excellent.

Phone + 5MPS DSL service $45

DSL Modem $60 (purchased)

VOIP Terminal $60 (purchased)

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: T3H5E
Good "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"
Bad "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"
Overall "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"

hi,

i would like this review to be on your site

this is about internet provider called 3web.. just want people to know
not to use it.. it has outrageously bad service. they schedule appts to
which they don't come.. it takes many many calls to technical support to
resolve anything.. one can go for a very long time without internet.
their technician don't come to appts when people are staying at home
just for them. They clain that they don't reimburse for the time they
don't provide internet.

just want to warn people not to use the service

they are operating out of ontario and are called 3web

their web site

»help.3web.com/menu.jsp?page=3Daboutus

please post this i want people to know what they are and how they work

Jane

______________________________________________________________________
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and contains info
rmation intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distributio
n, copyingor disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the inte
nded recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us im
mediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission
from all of your systems and hard drives, including any attachments, witho
ut making a copy.

(review was emailed from domain chartwelltechnology.com)

Comments:

Review by troll4 See Profile

• Location: N6E
Good "5 meg unlimited pop address"
Bad "poor support ,, no web host"
Overall "worth the money"

still with them after all these years cant be 2 bad

Once you have it working,, who needs support,
They push there connection software too much !!!!
After all its just pppoe connection.
sometimes they run proxy server
my speed test are as high as 4.3 gig with 600k up
save 5 a month by buying modem
Save 5 a month by having them for long distance decent prices for North America.
$26 and change on my Credit card everymonth
Had outage 2 summers ago when they were changing routers and would not admit it wanted me to troubleshoot LOL advised modem at nid that shut down the ts..
been with them maybe 4 years 2nd best price in town, now.

member for 12.7 years, 203 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by LMP See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC
Good "Good speed, good price, no contract"
Bad "No explanation when things go bad - outages, slowdowns"
Overall ".. do it yourself..."

Was with them with dial-up for years before. Switched to DSL HS Gold in 2006. Checked with them first for compatibility of a Modem I had and got incorrect info. Bought another modem locally (10$, flea market) and all went fine. Poor speed at first with WIn98 but as soon as XP installed, speed went up 5 fold . Satisfied with 4.6 Mb/s. Most annoying was loss of speed and repetitive disconnects in Jan-Feb 2007: exchanged lots of e-mails, they asked for lots of tests,all to no avail...but finally (that is, 2 months later) an agent "leaked" they had had trouble with Bell reconfiguring a station....all fine since then. I use their long distance service too, very satisfied . Register, install and then keep steady, and to me, it is fine.

My son went with them too 4 months ago (June 2008)....and all is OK.

However, as another relative wanted to subscribe also but only for a year or two, I contacted 3web twice (2 months ago) to inquire about " how to terminate service"; never got an answer...

Comments:

Review by inspection See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unbelievable amount of downtime. Long wait time on technical support."
Overall "Stay away from 3web. Does not worth it"

I have been with 3web for 4 years.

VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICES. VERY LAYBACK TECHNICAL SUPPORT. TODAY IS NOV 26, 2011. I AM OUT OF INTERNET SERVICE VIA 3WEB FOR a Week already.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN. ACCOUNTING SERVICES GAVE LOTS OF EXCUSES OF NOT REFUNDING. THEY WANT EVERYBODY TO CALL THEM FOR CREDIT, WHEN THEY KNOW DAMN WELL THE CABLE NETWORK IS OUT OF SERVICE FOR ABOUT A WEEKS.
THERE TECHNICAL SUPPORT DOES NOT GENERATE TICKETS WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM.
SO, RECOMMENDATION IS TO STAY AWAY WITH THIS COMPANY.
I MAY CHANGE MY RECOMMENDATION IF THE PRESIDENT OF 3WEB ADDRESS TO MY COMPLIANT...IF HE CARES!

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "WAS FAST UNTIL SEPTEMBER! Little effort to sign up."
Bad "MAJOR SLOW DOWNS AT NIGHT... SINCE SEPTEMBER"
Overall "I was right... IT WAS A DREAM! MAJOR SLOWDOWNS AT NIGHT! Leading to final cancelation!"

·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm currently a very happy Teksavvy user, have been for many years now.. BUT due to the limits set by Bell of not allowing us to pass the magic 5mb mark, the future being very cloudy of GAS internet providers, not to mention 20+ dollars go to bell from my bill along with 10 dollars for the dry line fee... I felt 30 dollars a month going to help Bell and their dirty fighting they have been up to is not something I want to keep doing forever. I also need more uplink speed to give more room for voip and not take so long to upload items for work.

There is very few choices when you look and ISP's.. Cable, GAS DSL or EQUIPPED AT THE CO DSL.

Cable in Rogers covered areas only have 1 choice for 3rd party... That's CIA/3WEB.. I was really scared about trying them again. I mean really scared.. Under former owners, the company was a real mess.. Slow speeds, horrid 2+ hour hold times, lack of customer service and support.

Well after months of not accepting new cable subscribers, in my area, they have finally opened up the cable service again..

What a change... VERY stable, even in peak times, 10X1mb service.. I'm still stocked.. I have tested and every speed test is at what the advertised speed is, sites load FAST! Downloading is great... in fact over 1mb per second great! This happens in peak and non peak times.

My worry is this is just a dream and i will wake up tomorrow and it's going to be really bad.. But so far I'm more than thrilled.

I've had to call to get info and never waited longer than 5 mins... and everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. What a change..

I had my own MOTOROLA 5101 cable modem that I owned already and a cable drop already installed when Rogers rewired the building, so there was no cost for equipment or install!

If Teksavvy offered cable internet on the Rogers network, they would have my business forever, but now i have to decide 5mb DSL for 29.95+9.10 for a dry line with the best customer service and support OR 10x1 cable for 37.95 with 3web/CIA and hope things stay great!.

UPDATE MAY 6 2010:

Due to Bell's move and Teksavvy's Cable offer not being close to what 3web can offer price wise... It hurt me today to cancel service with Teksavvy... But Here's hoping 3web stays the way it has been... It's been perfect! Very shocked still!

I will miss the service from Teksavvy and support.. but lets hope there is 3rd parties left after Bell is done.

Update: June 8 2010:

Well a Month later and still getting exactly as advertised speeds... There has been no down time.. Teksavvy recently has came available in my area, has lowered their rates and increased caps on their Cable offering.. It works out to about 4-5 dollars more a month for their 200 gig package at the same speed as I get with 3web. Although Teksavvy has better routing, the installation costs with Teksavvy to transfer providers make it prohibitive to switch with minimal difference in the quality of service I would experience.

I'm still happy with 3web... but if that changes, I will bite the bullet and flip in a heart beat back to Teksavvy.

I've had to call support only for minor things like "change my billing" and over all it was only 10 min hold time on the weekend to speak to a rep. Their IVR could be redone to make it much easier to go through, but that's not why I pick an ISP.

If I don't have the ISP's or service providers number memorized after the first year then they are doing a good job in my view. So far I would have to look their number up every-time.

Update Oct 4, 2010

It seems the students went back to school and all picked 3web. After GREAT service all summer long, September hit and now every evening and all weekend, I'm seeing my 10x1mb service drop to 3.86mbx1mb. Level 2 support is looking into it... but we will have to see what happens... I may just go to Teksavvy Cable..

I'm giving them until the end of this week to give me an answer.

Update Oct 27th, 2010:

I got an email a few weeks ago, sent to everyone. They claim major upgrades on the network are happening and will be done Oct 31st.... It's the 27th, and so far, there is still congestion during peek hours. It appears to be a CORE NETWORK issue and not a POI issue. They have not been really forth coming on what it is.. just saying Oct 31st. I will be calling Oct 31'st if it's not fixed... and if I don't get something FIRM on a repair date, I will be canceling and moving to Teksavvy.. I just can't deal with it anymore. It sucks because Teksavvy charges more and there is a huge install fee via Rogers to pay to move my own modem that is already hooked up over. Nothing like paying the tech to come to the house for nothing.

Nov 8, 2010

Apparently now the Cable Upgrades won't be finished until the end of the year. The POORLY written email implied it was for all services.. not just DSL.. but apparently the support department now it's the end of the year..

It seems there is something bigger going on here... In tests I tried between their 2 peer providers, during peek hours, (6p to 2a) I get major slow downs. If routed via Torix... 2mb x 1mb... If routed via Cogent 6-7mb x 1mb

I have noticed things have gotten worst as the speed upgrades have happened from 10mb to 15mb on the Rogers Network.

I have finally had it. I will be canceling at the end of this Month..

My Cancellation order will be put in by this Friday with loads of joy!

Nov 10 2010,

Cancelled! I couldn't wait until Friday! Signed up with Teksavvy... Which I know are honest and have done me little wrong in the past. They also have a well managed network.... Too bad they don't manage the whole thing.

I hate the activation fee but whatever! I need something that works correctly.

member for 9.8 years, 1904 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

Review by WallyThacker See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "cheap - one stop - no caps"
Bad "sporadic speeds - minimal tech support"
Overall "go ahead if you have moderate computer skills"

·Start Communicat..
I have voip and dsl from them.

I signed on the summer of 2009. I had immediate doubts as the speed was sporadic ranging from dial-up to decent.

I nearly cancelled many times but needed a home phone (which has been reliable) so I stuck it out.

One year later, with new owners , the dsl speed is much better. The phone is still reliable enough for me.

I will cancel in a blink though if the dsl side degrades. I have no loyalty to any providers these days.

Comments:

Review by The skipper See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Maybe price (not value!!), but no other good points."
Bad "Reliability, Speeds, customer support, Arrogance."
Overall "Never again."

I had stuck it out with 3web for many years thinking that I was saving money.

Now I realize that time is money too and slow connections are no longer an option.

There have been times when my 3web DSL managed download speeds just above 3mbps and I thought I could live with that. But they frequently overloaded the system for extended periods and then speeds dropped below 1 mbps. After spending literally hours on the phone (mostly just waiting for someone) eventually the speed would go up again.

Lately however that all changed. My download got as low as 0.1 mbps, never above 1.6 anymore, and then a total disconnect. Spending many hours on the phone once again I was finally told that they can't fix it anytime soon and it might take several months before I can see an improvement.

I had no contract but when I cancelled was told I had to pay yet another month even if there is no connection at all anymore. They quoted some fine print that I supposedly agreed to. Some very arrogant 'Supervisor' told me there's nothing I can do about it and they will put it through to collection if I don't pay.

Live is too short, never again.

PS I'm now with Bell Fibe 6. Downloads are right around 6mbps and the bundled price is only $5 more than what I paid at 3web.