3 Web page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by portakit See Profile

• Location: m5j2y8
Good "Cheapish"
Bad "Unreliable service, Bad technical support (2Tier agents), and horrible internet speeds (half the rate advertised)"
Overall "Not recommended"

3web ISP

I have been a 3web cable internet subscriber since 2005. I have experienced monthly Rogers service audits that ended up in four separate disconnections (Rogers technicians manually unplugging me). I requested 3web instruct Rogers to label my connection to prevent future disconnections…this did not happen…accompanied by a Rogers technician, I ended up labelling the connection myself. Problem solved! Living in a condo compounds this issue tenfold. Due to this negative experience, I do not recommend 3web to condo owners! Rogers road technicians have never been made aware of 3web subscribers...client accounts are not noted on their service systems...so they simply manually disconnect your cable, thinking you are not a client.

I have also experience two major network disruptions caused by either Rogers and/or 3web that have left me weeks without internet. Yes, 3web is cheaper then the big guys (Bell and Rogers) but the hassle of resolving issues with 3web is difficult and at times, you feel left in the dark waiting for issues to get resolved. As of February 2, 2010....I have not been able to use my cable internet. A 3web 2Tier Technician called me last week to tell me they have no idea when the disruption will be fixed. In a condescending manner, he blasted "You are not the only one effected by this network issue...you know!" as an attempt to make me, the client feel guilty for complaining and seeking follow up information.

I suspect the problem with my connection is primarily due to Rogers playing gate keeper. I am not certain what is happening between Rogers and 3web…I just hate being caught in the middle.

For the most part, I have not experienced any negative issues with the billing department and/or their first tier service technicians. Recently, 3web staff corrected and refunded a long standing rental overcharge on my modem...I checked my credit card statement and it shows a refund.

I do not recommend 3web internet services. Their customer service has improved this year…well to be honest…the wait time to speak with a service agent on the phone is shorter…BUT the wait time for getting things fixed, like internet disruptions is now taking four times longer.

The speed of my 3web cable internet connection when "functional"...ha ha ha...has decreased significantly since 2007-2008. Streaming videos off of major television networks is horrible...very choppy and grrrr.....frustrating.

Trust me, you do not want to sign up with 3web!

member for 5 years, 0 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikegao See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "A little bit cheap"
Bad "Speed is even low as 600k"
Overall "No acceptable most of time"

Even the price is a little bit cheap compare to Dell and no traffic limitation.
But the speed is as low as 600k. Did you hear story that the upload speed is faster than download. You will have if you connect to this company.

The most displeasure thing is they will charge you one month extra service fee if you cancel your service even without contract and will not connect to their network anymore. The trick is hiding in the end user agreement. They said they can even charge more if you cancel your service. They are really shameless.

Don't even think to complain to them, you find no way to do that!

member for 5 years, 0 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by ledmage See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "No cap, Fast speeds during non-peak."
Bad "Slow during peak times, unreliable, high packet loss."
Overall "Service is lacking, consider switching."

I've been with 3web cable internet since 2005 and I've noticed the service getting worse and worse. I was originally with Rogers but the bandwith cap forced me to move to 3web. At that time the speeds were really great. Since 2007 the speeds have really suffered. And now during peak hours I consistently get up to 40-50% packet loss. That is seriously a huge problem. It makes it impossible to play any online games during normal hours. It is very frustrating to be unable to maintain a webcam chat with a friend over msn messenger.

A couple times a month on average the domain name service will stop working for a few hours.

I live in scarborough.

Comments:

Review by Oinktastic See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Good price, very little downtime"
Bad "Slowdowns during peak hours"
Overall "Good value, reliable and only alternative to robbers cable in my area"

Hello everyone,

I have been using 3webXS Cable Gold East, in Scarborough Ontario, since 2005. The plan is 7Mbps/512Kbps and during off-peak times I am able to achieve those speeds on speedtest sites and in actual throughput. During peak hours occasionally it goes more like 1-3Mbps down / 400Kbps up. Unfortunately, lately there has been massive packet loss and higher pings during the evenings. Web pages take many times longer to load during peak hours, browsing is slower and it seems like it struggles to establish connections. I believe this is starting to improve, but time will tell.

When I first signed up, I was seeing a R*gers IP, but 3web have migrated to using more of their own equipment now and I now receive an IP from 3web. The speed was originally 5Mbps/800Kbps back when they were piggy-backing R*gers and the connection was quite stable all around.

The speed of the connection is up and down every few months, sometimes it's good and sometimes frustrating. One of the few complete disconnections (no modem-sync) that I've ever had was when it went out completely once during the evening/night during exam time, and I had to scramble to find a modem and use their free dial-up account, which comes with the highspeed. Thank god that worked, but the timing of that outage was a big inconvenience for me.

The original install went smoothly as I can remember. I think one install date was missed, but eventually, a R*gers guy and his "apprentice" showed up outside my house, unannounced as I remember, and they ran a cable to my house from the pole in freezing temperatures. I was grateful for the work they did in those conditions, but it was a bit painful to watch. I went along for the 'ride' and I know from experience the uncomfort of having to take your gloves off for manual dexterity in subzero weather. The pole which carried the coax to my property had recently been moved due to a complaint from my neighbour and my house hasn't had cable anything in years so they hadn't bothered to re-run the cable back then. They hooked everything up to the box outside and installed a cable TV filter because I don't have cable TV service. When that was all finished, they came inside and made sure that their modem could get a signal from the coax near my computer and we cheered when all the greens light came on. I had already tested the ancient cables running through my walls and connected them properly to bring the signal to my computer. This whole install visit didn't cost me anything, but 3Web had a free installation promotion at the time which I believe took care of that. My actual modem showed up 1-2 days later and synced right away. Unfortunately I'm a tiny bit fuzzy on exact time as it was quite awhile ago now and I didn't bother taking notes. The time from placing the order to syncing my modem was in the range of 5-8 days, but I can't remember precisely.

The service went off a couple times during 2am-5am for scheduled maintenance and a couple times during the migratory period. It also went off once or twice unannounced like I mentioned above. That's when the dial-up account comes in handy. It stays connected for months at a time generally though. The consistency of the speed is the only concern I have right now.

Some services and general notes would be...

Their online live support chat, when I've tried it, has never once been working, but they provide an online form to fill out with your concern/question. E-mails generally get returned, first with an automated message with some keyword-searched generic suggestions and they more often than not follow up within a few days with a real e-mail.

I rarely call their tech-support these days, but in the beginning when I went through the install I encountered their help desk and then maybe several times when there was an outage I decided to call and ask what was up. They went through a period of terribly long on-hold times. I believe it was under 15 minutes last time I called, but I could have been lucky, I'm not sure. Their phone system once put me on hold for 20 minutes and then hung up :-S They have an automated queue which tells you your position in line while you're on hold which is nice I guess. It's not terribly accurate, but it gives a rough approximation.

Overall I've been satisfied enough and hopeful enough that things will get better to stick along for the ride. I went to cable in the first place because my phone lines are over 50 years old and I had trouble with DSL in the past.

Currently using Motorola Surfboard 5100 connected to my Linksys wrt54gs router running dd-wrt. I really appreciate the quality of the modem. I did the rent to own deal they had so it ended up costing about $80 +tx total I believe. If you choose not to buy a modem, you can rent one for $4.95 + tax per month. If you search around you can buy your own modem for a very reasonable price. I found the exact same modem for $10 at a used computer parts place a few months after I bought the new one, but that was a pretty rare find I would think. I bought it and gave it to a friend who I believe is still using it years later.

E-mail accounts are provided and can be accessed through a mail client like Outlook Express or online through mail.3web.com. They say you can have an unlimited number at their domain, but I've only got one at the moment. It seems to be always accessible, but the web interface is a bit simple-looking, though it does do some sorting, spam-filtering and automatic e-mail forwarding. Edit 02/11/09: It was updated recently and they made it a bit nicer and a bit more user-friendly.

The price of the service is decent. I'm paying exactly $32.69/month to 3web for both the Long Distance "Wherever" plan (I'll refer to it as LD from now on) and Cable Internet, including taxes and everything. I signed up for the LD because it shaves $5/month off the price of the internet. The total benefit of using this bundle including the cost of the LD service is to reduce the cost of the service by $2/month because the LD service itself is $3 (flat)/month + the cost of the time you spend calling long distance. The rates they have are fairly competitive and there's a list of their prices on their site. I generally use completely separate calling cards or skype to communicate with people abroad, but if I just dial from my phone, I get a few cents extra on my LD bill for that month. There's also a Long Distance calling card (slightly higher price per minute) that comes with this LD service that I can take around with me that will bill my 3web account when I use it. These charges are on the same page as above.

There was a six month promotion when I first joined so I got my first 6 months for $10 or $15 per month, I don't remember which one it was. There was a strange billing procedure though where they took the entire six month payment upfront and some type of modem deposit and then used that to pay off the first 6 months as well. I had a couple of months where they didn't charge anything because they were using the money they had put on my 3web account already. If I log into my 3web account on their site, I can see my invoices there and they also e-mail me the Long Distance invoice every month. It might be nice to have the invoice for the Internet connection sent there as well. I'll see if I can get that set up. The two charge amounts (1 for internet, one for LD) are actually done at different times during the month it seems, but they both still end up on my credit card bill for the same month.

I guess that's my rant for now. I'll edit it soon with slightly more coherent thoughts. I apologize that it was more like a blog... anyway I hope you Enjoy! :-P

Feel free to contact me with comments or questions. I'll answer them if I can.

Jan 13th 2009. Edit: Speed is good this evening. I am able to surf relatively smoothly and download much quicker than I was able to last week during peak times. Knock on (touch) wood.

Jan 15th 2009. Edit: Spoke too soon :'( 35-40% Packet loss this evening... I had to refresh some pages 3-4 times to get them to load:S

Feb 11th 2009. Edit: Speeds are now bearable in the evenings. Web pages load a bit slower than in off-peak times and videos need to buffer for about 5-10 seconds at times, but mostly, everything's usable. Had one outage a few weeks ago for 2-3 hours around noon. No biggie.

Feb 12th 2009. Edit: It looks like CIA is really moving forward to absorb 3Web's system into their own. I can no longer access the page advertising 3Web's services or find any direct contact info from 3Web support or sales by just searching. I still have access to their "portal" page aka the news, but the 3Web logos are all accompanied or replaced by CIA/Cybersurf logos on the e-mail and billing pages. My e-mail address appears to be now both @3web.com and @cia.com.

May 21st 2009: Tested >6Mbit all day today, even in peak periods. Something good is happening

Aug 18th 2009: Was really slow recently, especially on weekends. I called in and they said local cable node was congested. I'm not sure because I see the packet loss begin between 209.195.70.90 and 209.195.70.89, which are cybersurf IPs. I'm just saying there's something weird going on there.

They switched me over to DSL, which I'm not enjoying much either. My phone line isn't great. I'm currently on 4032/800 interleave profile and it's still dropping about once a day. I have a feeling Bell could fix me up, but obviously they want to make it painful. To add to that, I'm definitely not getting full speeds out of my current profile and browsing is noticably sluggish during peak hours.

Sep 22nd 2009: Cancelled everything on my 3web/Cybersurf account. I'm going to try another 3rd-party ISP. I will gladly take back the cable connection from 3web if things improve, but I'd rather just have a stable connection right now.

Comments:

Review by jyeung See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Excellent pricing, decent speeds"
Bad "Non-existant customer service"
Overall "Use 3Web/CIA if you want to take risks. Otherwise, if you're looking for support, stay away."

UPDATE: I cancelled CIA in 2007 and have resigned up with them February 2009 to test the waters (again). My impressions and review so far is posted here:

»Review of Cybersurf Corporation by jyeung

==============================================================

I signed up with 3Web/CIA in September. Initial installation was not well coordinated - I did not receive an email with order and modem shipment details until approximately 3 weeks after order date.

After I received the modem, everything was smooth as my area was using Rogers. Customer support, however, was a nightmare. Their phone system was a mess (it's better now) and the wait times to talk with a tech were LONG (5-6 hours sometimes).

More recently, on 22 November 2006, Cybersurf/CIA switched from the Rogers network back into their own network. The process was again not well completed, causing my internet to be disconnected for 2.5 days, although I must say this was more likely the fault of Rogers than of CIA directly. Trying to reach support during these times were impossible - I spent 5 hours and 33 minutes on the phone waiting to talk to a technician. However, the technician was very quick and took down my details to submit to Rogers for a repair.

My internet was restored the morning of 24 November, and speeds have been OK so far - but slower than when I was on the Rogers network. I'm getting 5Mbps instead the advertised 6Mbps...but I can live with that. Now if they can get their support to be better, all would be good. Until then, those who need even the slightest hand holding, stay away.

member for 10.9 years, 473 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by otty See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "not robbers, only cable alternative"
Bad "extremely unreliable, false and unhelpful support"
Overall "avoid unless you line quality too poor for DSL and u hate Robbers"

I had the 3web cable gold (east) supposedly 7mbps down 500kbps up. The up always works. The down *usually* works during the day until 8pm when it drops to near dial-up speed. Increasingly it is usually 1-2mbps all day...

Called tech support (as did many people on this site) and we all got what seems to be a load of bs about some mysterious hardware they needed to replace, but either haven't in over a month, or, more likely they are full of sh*t.

I would already have switched by now, but I'm moving soon so I'm sticking it out for now...

Update: So I've moved, and cancelled. No problem cancelling as some people have suggested, but I have kept an eye on the forum and the problems seem to persist. Too bad. Always sad to see a smaller ISP fail.

Comments:

Review by avax See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Seems on the ball, good process, happy with things so far"
Bad "The $23 Modem shipping charge"
Overall "Let's wait and see, I will update this next week but looks good so far!"

·Acanac
**UPDATE December 2, 2008**

Good and Bad News!!

Good News is that the install was scheduled and completed (installer actually arrived EARLY).

Bad News is that the speed I am receiving fluctuates between as low at 300kbps up to 7000kbps, but I am received on average 800-1000kbps (so, less than 1Mbps). In raising a ticket with 3web, I am told this is due to saturation in my service area (nice of them to tell me when I ordered, and BULL$HIT that they "didn't know at that time") that should be corrected by ordering and putting in place new equipment within 2-4 weeks.

I have followed up with several emails but to this point, I have received no new information on my problem. If I do not receive ANY update by Friday, December 5, I will be reversing all charges to my Credit Card and returning the rented modem to them and immediately switch to Rogers. At least with Rogers, I can be GUARANTEED to receive the service I pay for (and I know this from previous experience).

My Recommendation, for now, is to CHECK about problems in your area with 3web before ordering, BEWARE of the service you will be sure (not) to recieve, and TAKE YOUR CHANCES; now that I've been bitten by them, I will not be very pleasant going forward.

---------------------------
---------------------------

I've read many reviews on 3Web about bad customer service, problems with orders, etc, and I tend to think that most people are not really aware of what they are dealing with.

As a 3-rd party Reseller of Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw, Cogeco, etc services, I will NOT immediately blame 3Web for problems as I've been through this same environment as a Primus DSL Customer.

So far, I have to give them HIGH PRAISE for the way they have handled my order. As I opted for Cable Service (absolutely a better solution than DSL for most people) I ordered a modem from them as well.

The process has been clean, straight-forward and efficient so far. I ordered the service on-line through their site, I have called about things a couple of times and have been called twice to proactively make sure I had what I needed, even the appointment to have the service set up is booked on-schedule.

I am looking forward to the service hook up on Monday and will be keeping this updated. If things change I'll be sure to publicize it here!

member for 13.3 years, 156 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by UofT23 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Really cheap"
Overall "decent service"

I'm updating this as I'm cancelling my CIA service. Both times I've had to contact them I reached them in less than 5 minutes hold time and got someone friendly and helpful - no problem cancelling.

However the reason I'm cancelling is that my dsl download speeds are frequently bottoming out at 500 kb/s which is totally unacceptable for even $31/mo after tax. If you don't online game or watch a lot of streamed content this ISP's really great price may be worth your intermittent connection speeds but for me it isn't.

My only other complaint other than the network speeds which are likely due to congestion since everyone is fleeing the exhorbant prices of capped, and throttled, Bell, is their tech service.

When I told the CSR I was cancelling he asked if I wanted to talk to tech support to see if they could fix the line so I said sure why not since I have the service for the next month. The tech support guy was the rudest person I've ever spoke to over the phone - I hung up on him.

He answered the phone with, "hi".....I said, "hi" and then paused assuming he would ask for my phone number or other info. He says, "I said hello...guess you have a hearing problem today.". And i said, "excuse me?" and he says, "You've got a hearing problem - phone number?" And thats where I realised I'd made the right decision not to stick around hoping for the network conjestion to clear up.

TLDR......Great value, bad tech support and sketchy reliability but you get what you pay for.

Comments:

Review by pwdcap288 See Profile

• Location: m5s1x0
Good "when its up, its up"
Bad "if u need customer support, good luck"
Overall "its great, when its working and no customer support is needed"

I decided to try the cable service, but when they told me i couldn't use the cable modem i presented, i decided not to proceed with cable service. however, my cc was charged for installation, and misc. I called the billing dept and was informed my cc charges would be reversed within the 17 days and should see it in the next cc billing statement. it didn't happened the charges were not reversed. i called the billing dept again and was told the same thing. after a few days, i checked my cc account online and found no installation charged credit. i decided at this point to file a charge dispute with the credit card company. they took care of the rest. the credit card company credited me the installation charge and waited for 3web to respond to them. my guess, 3web didn't respond to the credit card company within the aloted time. so, i didn't have to worry about my refund from 3web after my contact with the credit card company. so next time it happens, i will not waste my time chasing their billing dept, i will let the credit card company do that. lesson learned.

member for 10.5 years, 233 visits, last login: 4.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by cellguy2000 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "Speed as advertised"
Bad "Have to reset Modem from time to time"
Overall "Fine when it works, but when you need service...GOOD LUCK!!!"

Had almost 3 years of service with them. They sent my modem and somehow lost the modem. It took about 3 weeks before I received it.

IN all had 2 service calls in the 3 years and it was resolved within the week of my calls to tech dept until now.

It all started beginning of August for NO "SEND" light on my modem. To make the long story short, 3WEB made a total of 4 booking calls with Shaw(local cable provider) to drop by my home, I took 3 days off to deal with it, NO ONE SHOWED UP!!!!

Even after talking to the SUPERVISER, who somehow booked the wrong day!!!for me the 4th time (it's almost September now), I finally decided that for the aggravation it was causing me, to unwillingly go with SHAW Extreme. 3 Days later and I'm online.

The Techs seem to think I wasn't home,call backs were inconsistent....they keep on telling me it's NOT their fault, well if 3WEB provided me the service, it's 3WEBs fault.

Yes the rate was cheaper,once you get it up and running, it's fine, but the moment you have a problem, good luck having them book a tech to your home to fix it. NO SERVICE FOR 3 WEEKS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I gave them 4 chances to get it right to no avail. I finally had to give up.
Very Unhappy to say the least.

There is another review that mentions that they may be going out of business. I'd look into that before thinking about 3Web.