3 Web page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Sukru Bey See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fast internet"
Bad "Too hard to reach tech. support"

When you have a problem, you really have a problem. It takes hour to reach some one; but for that price, if you want to pay less, their service is OK. I did have problems and wanted them to solve. Now there isn't any problems and I am sooo happy to pay them $30 for a month.

So, I recomend them if you want to pay less.

Comments:

Review by sammyj See Profile

• Location: m3h
Good "Dirt Cheap, No Caps/Throttling, Very Fast when working."
Bad "Horrible tech support/waiting times (up to 40 mins). Sporadic downtime."
Overall "If you dont mind aweful techsupport, and can handle the odd internet downtime, get em!"

For the last couple of months 3web has been involved in a transition period where they were migrating all of their users over to their own backbone. In all fairness to the service, my (and most others who gives 3web a bad name) are attributing their rotten speeds to this time during transition. Fortunately though they seemed to have really pulled themselves together and I have had virtually no packet loss or downtime since the migration. (I have been getting 5800/786) They are offering blazing speeds at a fraction on the price of the "Big Boys". All and all, if you dont mind subscribing to a company which holds the world record for longest wait times for an incompetent techie, and simply want a solid connection (Im crossing my fingers at this point) for an unbeatable price than 3web is for you.

member for 10.2 years, 228 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by djlinux See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "I have nothing good to say about it"
Bad "They couldn't get the service working, long phone wait times, etc."
Overall "Avoid at all costs. Horrible company to deal with."

I tried ordering 3web cable service because it is substantially cheaper than Rogers. My service was supposed to be installed May 30th. It wasn't. Tech support said Rogers had a problem and that it would be fixed in 24 hours. It wasn't. They then said the next activation date would be June 6th. I said, no way, it was supposed to be set up May 30th and that they should work their butts off to get it activated ASAP. They said they would look into it but I called numerous times and they just got 'its a Rogers problem'. Then one guy told me Rogers was all set up now and that 3web just had to activate it. Should be done soon. It wasn't Then the Rogers blame game started again. Then 'wait until June 6th' was given again. June 6th came and went with no internet access so I cancelled. But that didn't stop them from billing my credit card anyway. Now they tell me I have to wait 4 weeks to get a refund.

So, unless you like horrific service, waiting on hold for 45 minutes to get that horrific service, and even having tech support people hang up on you when they can't explain why you are getting such horrific service, avoid 3web like a plague. Also avoid other products under the same company such as DSL and dial-up as well as parent company Cybersurf Corporation and sister company cia.com (VOIP phone). It just isn't worth the hassles, stress and added grey hairs.

Comments:

Review by pashu See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "none so far"
Bad "pretty much everything"
Overall "do not go with this "ISP" - big scam"

Toronto area. Wanted to switch from Rogers to 3Web. Big mistake! Here is the list of my complaints:

(1) They missed two installation dates. I took time off, waited like an idiot, and the technician never showed up. This happened TWICE!

(2) Tried to call their "support" several times. Always at least a 45 min wait. Last time I called, after the first 45 min of background music the phone started to ring, and they let it ring for about three more minutes. Then somebody picked the phone and without saying a word put me on hold for another 5 minutes. I could hear French in the background, I think this may have been an office in Ottawa.

(3) In order to resolve the installation issue, their support promised to call me back within the next five minutes. Well, it has been several hours now and after midnight. Lovely how they keep promises.

(4) When subscribing, I chose I wanted to purchase a refurbished modem for $60. They sent me a new one for 99 without any prior notification.

THIS IS A PRETTY CRAPPY COMPANY. BEWARE! A company that treats customers like shit does not deserve to be in any business!

Comments:

Review by qll See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "$10 a month for 3 months"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Fuced Company. They will be out of business soon"

Nobody will stay with them for more than 1 month. Trust me.
I am in Ottawa. I signed up the deal for DSL for $10 a month for 3 months. Great price. I changed from Rogers, because rogers increased the price to $40 a month.
However 3web is unusable.

As on Jan 28, 2006,

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert yahoo.com
Unable to resolve target system name yahoo.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert vbuzzer.com
Unable to resolve target system name vbuzzer.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert vbuzzer.com

Tracing route to vbuzzer.com [209.47.41.48]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

If you call a none-connecting network a deal at $10, Roger's connection will be $2000. I am trying to save $10-20 a month, but I have to change it back. I use voip, online trading, online business. I can not risk lost connection for $10. Sorry. This 3web will soon be out of buinsess.

Update 2006/02/13
I have fixed some problem now. I can not speak for Cable 3web, but DSL 3web has extremely bad DNS and Routing. I changed the DNS to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4, now the DNS problem is gone. But they still have hard time to find the correct routing to most IPs, so it results Network Timeout. For example, they found IP address for domain AAA.com but when I first visit AAA.com it loads slow, no picture shown etc, I have to wait 30 seconds or 1 minute, then it is very fast. I have decided to keep the service as they are still pretty cheap for $10 a month. I may switch to Cable 3web after the first 3 months.

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Getting alot better"
Bad "connection"
Overall "ISP has improved alot not alot of complaints"

hmm, for about 6 months the connection was extremly slow, no contact to tech support. It was a long and horrible ride. Just before I cancelled the connection was back up and running great. However rogers came and cut our connection, we never got it back so thats why I cancelled. The tech support is horrible you will never get to them, and they do not help in anyway.

Comments:

Review by Cidco See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "I cant belive they are still in business"

Well it has been almost a month and I still dont have service.. I have call them several times, and nothing. Not sure why all the delays because my last service was Sympatico. I wanted to move over to save afew bucks but...NOTHING !!!!
I am going to give them one more week and if nothing happens I am up for options...

Comments:

Review by Vortex052 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "When connection is running it's ok"
Bad "Customer support terrible, Connection frequently drops out"
Overall "DO NOT USE THIS ISP"

After using this ISP for about 4 months I can only determine that they are a most horrible ISP to deal with. When I ordered my line I specified no modem, and no modem arrived yet every month they charge me with a modem rental, when I asked why they told me that a modem was sent. When I told them otherwise and requested to see the bill of laiding / recipt from the post, they told me it "was none of my business".

They are very deceptive in their business practices in fact unless you buy a modem from them it's almost impossible for them to drop the modem rental charge.

Additionally they've repeatedly refused to acknowledge their network is down when there's an outage, and would take hours to access their customer account center. It was impossible to negotiate account changes, and has been a pain to access any account related information not listed on their web account information page.

Comments:

Review by Solar1um See Profile

• Location: LÚvis - QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "All - Speed - Price - No port blocking"
Bad "Bad newsgroup ! - Bad route ! - Bad tech and customer service !"
Overall "Very Good Isp ... and Very Cheap ..."

This isp is good ... i am very surprised because is very cheap for internet 3000/800
Is very good ...
Routing is very good ... it use Rogers Telecom ( old sprint canada network )
Have peering in Ottix ... Toronto IX and Quebec IX
and peering with Rogers Cable ... Cogent ... Shaw ... Sprint and many others
No port is block ...
Tech are good ... when i need information about my PPPOE login ( i don t want use their software ... )
Is better or equal with others isp i have test (oricom, aol, sympatico, rocler...)
This review is for 3web dsl in Lévis,Qc near Quebec City ...
-----------------
After 2 week i have a big problems ... with a route ...
To go to the quebec telus server ... the route is very bad ...
i have many server host ... and i play to many server hosted with telus !
Just check the ping !
and the bad route ...
From quebec ... to calgary ... to rimouski ... Very bad !

tracert www.globetrotter.net

11 89 ms 98 ms 89 ms RMKIPQXADR02.bb.telus.com [154.11.7.163]
12 89 ms 97 ms 89 ms RMKIPAXAAR22.globetrotter.net [142.169.49.222]
13 99 ms 99 ms 99 ms www.quebectel.com [142.169.1.21]
14 89 ms 99 ms 99 ms www.quebectel.com [142.169.1.21]

If route is not important ... this isp is good ...
the newsgroups is very bad ... and i use 7-8 go per month
I switch to anothers isp with good newsgroup for one bill !
AND IF YOU HAVE QUESTION ... YOU DON T HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT ...

Comments:

Review by furrybandit See Profile

• Location: Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue,QC
Good "cheap, fast when servers are up"
Bad "loooooong outages, "blow off" tech support"
Overall "good value if you can live without internet access 2 weeks at a time"

They are cheap. They can be fast.

I have the 3Mb DSL service with a long distance plan for 25$/month. I've been with them for a year and a half. I connect with a Speedstream 5200 modem/router in router mode which handles the PPPoE so I don't need their outdated "connection manager" software.

Initially, their tech support was good, now it has gone bad. When I call up concerning connection issues, all I really want to know is if there's a problem on their end, and when they'll be up and running smoothly again. If I'm told that everything is OK, only to find out, after fiddling with my software and hardware for a week, that it was their servers all along, I get mad. Not only did I go without internet for a week, but spent countless hours trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Very mad.

So, I'm not asking for tech support guys with computer engineering degrees, just ones who will fess up! You know...... honesty.

They went down for 2 weeks last fall, and I've been down for 2 weeks just now. In between there were a few multi-hour outages. A multi-hour outage...... whatever. A 2 week outage....... no frikken way. I am going to change providers...... as soon as I can get through to them by telephone!!!