3 Web page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

• Location: T3H5E
Good "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"
Bad "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"
Overall "VERY VERY BAD NOT RELIABLE ISP PROVIDER - DO NOT USE!!!"

hi,

i would like this review to be on your site

this is about internet provider called 3web.. just want people to know
not to use it.. it has outrageously bad service. they schedule appts to
which they don't come.. it takes many many calls to technical support to
resolve anything.. one can go for a very long time without internet.
their technician don't come to appts when people are staying at home
just for them. They clain that they don't reimburse for the time they
don't provide internet.

just want to warn people not to use the service

they are operating out of ontario and are called 3web

their web site

»help.3web.com/menu.jsp?page=3Daboutus

please post this i want people to know what they are and how they work

Jane

______________________________________________________________________
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and contains info
rmation intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distributio
n, copyingor disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the inte
nded recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us im
mediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission
from all of your systems and hard drives, including any attachments, witho
ut making a copy.

(review was emailed from domain chartwelltechnology.com)

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "WAS FAST UNTIL SEPTEMBER! Little effort to sign up."
Bad "MAJOR SLOW DOWNS AT NIGHT... SINCE SEPTEMBER"
Overall "I was right... IT WAS A DREAM! MAJOR SLOWDOWNS AT NIGHT! Leading to final cancelation!"

·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm currently a very happy Teksavvy user, have been for many years now.. BUT due to the limits set by Bell of not allowing us to pass the magic 5mb mark, the future being very cloudy of GAS internet providers, not to mention 20+ dollars go to bell from my bill along with 10 dollars for the dry line fee... I felt 30 dollars a month going to help Bell and their dirty fighting they have been up to is not something I want to keep doing forever. I also need more uplink speed to give more room for voip and not take so long to upload items for work.

There is very few choices when you look and ISP's.. Cable, GAS DSL or EQUIPPED AT THE CO DSL.

Cable in Rogers covered areas only have 1 choice for 3rd party... That's CIA/3WEB.. I was really scared about trying them again. I mean really scared.. Under former owners, the company was a real mess.. Slow speeds, horrid 2+ hour hold times, lack of customer service and support.

Well after months of not accepting new cable subscribers, in my area, they have finally opened up the cable service again..

What a change... VERY stable, even in peak times, 10X1mb service.. I'm still stocked.. I have tested and every speed test is at what the advertised speed is, sites load FAST! Downloading is great... in fact over 1mb per second great! This happens in peak and non peak times.

My worry is this is just a dream and i will wake up tomorrow and it's going to be really bad.. But so far I'm more than thrilled.

I've had to call to get info and never waited longer than 5 mins... and everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. What a change..

I had my own MOTOROLA 5101 cable modem that I owned already and a cable drop already installed when Rogers rewired the building, so there was no cost for equipment or install!

If Teksavvy offered cable internet on the Rogers network, they would have my business forever, but now i have to decide 5mb DSL for 29.95+9.10 for a dry line with the best customer service and support OR 10x1 cable for 37.95 with 3web/CIA and hope things stay great!.

UPDATE MAY 6 2010:

Due to Bell's move and Teksavvy's Cable offer not being close to what 3web can offer price wise... It hurt me today to cancel service with Teksavvy... But Here's hoping 3web stays the way it has been... It's been perfect! Very shocked still!

I will miss the service from Teksavvy and support.. but lets hope there is 3rd parties left after Bell is done.

Update: June 8 2010:

Well a Month later and still getting exactly as advertised speeds... There has been no down time.. Teksavvy recently has came available in my area, has lowered their rates and increased caps on their Cable offering.. It works out to about 4-5 dollars more a month for their 200 gig package at the same speed as I get with 3web. Although Teksavvy has better routing, the installation costs with Teksavvy to transfer providers make it prohibitive to switch with minimal difference in the quality of service I would experience.

I'm still happy with 3web... but if that changes, I will bite the bullet and flip in a heart beat back to Teksavvy.

I've had to call support only for minor things like "change my billing" and over all it was only 10 min hold time on the weekend to speak to a rep. Their IVR could be redone to make it much easier to go through, but that's not why I pick an ISP.

If I don't have the ISP's or service providers number memorized after the first year then they are doing a good job in my view. So far I would have to look their number up every-time.

Update Oct 4, 2010

It seems the students went back to school and all picked 3web. After GREAT service all summer long, September hit and now every evening and all weekend, I'm seeing my 10x1mb service drop to 3.86mbx1mb. Level 2 support is looking into it... but we will have to see what happens... I may just go to Teksavvy Cable..

I'm giving them until the end of this week to give me an answer.

Update Oct 27th, 2010:

I got an email a few weeks ago, sent to everyone. They claim major upgrades on the network are happening and will be done Oct 31st.... It's the 27th, and so far, there is still congestion during peek hours. It appears to be a CORE NETWORK issue and not a POI issue. They have not been really forth coming on what it is.. just saying Oct 31st. I will be calling Oct 31'st if it's not fixed... and if I don't get something FIRM on a repair date, I will be canceling and moving to Teksavvy.. I just can't deal with it anymore. It sucks because Teksavvy charges more and there is a huge install fee via Rogers to pay to move my own modem that is already hooked up over. Nothing like paying the tech to come to the house for nothing.

Nov 8, 2010

Apparently now the Cable Upgrades won't be finished until the end of the year. The POORLY written email implied it was for all services.. not just DSL.. but apparently the support department now it's the end of the year..

It seems there is something bigger going on here... In tests I tried between their 2 peer providers, during peek hours, (6p to 2a) I get major slow downs. If routed via Torix... 2mb x 1mb... If routed via Cogent 6-7mb x 1mb

I have noticed things have gotten worst as the speed upgrades have happened from 10mb to 15mb on the Rogers Network.

I have finally had it. I will be canceling at the end of this Month..

My Cancellation order will be put in by this Friday with loads of joy!

Nov 10 2010,

Cancelled! I couldn't wait until Friday! Signed up with Teksavvy... Which I know are honest and have done me little wrong in the past. They also have a well managed network.... Too bad they don't manage the whole thing.

I hate the activation fee but whatever! I need something that works correctly.

Comments:

Review by The skipper See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Maybe price (not value!!), but no other good points."
Bad "Reliability, Speeds, customer support, Arrogance."
Overall "Never again."

I had stuck it out with 3web for many years thinking that I was saving money.

Now I realize that time is money too and slow connections are no longer an option.

There have been times when my 3web DSL managed download speeds just above 3mbps and I thought I could live with that. But they frequently overloaded the system for extended periods and then speeds dropped below 1 mbps. After spending literally hours on the phone (mostly just waiting for someone) eventually the speed would go up again.

Lately however that all changed. My download got as low as 0.1 mbps, never above 1.6 anymore, and then a total disconnect. Spending many hours on the phone once again I was finally told that they can't fix it anytime soon and it might take several months before I can see an improvement.

I had no contract but when I cancelled was told I had to pay yet another month even if there is no connection at all anymore. They quoted some fine print that I supposedly agreed to. Some very arrogant 'Supervisor' told me there's nothing I can do about it and they will put it through to collection if I don't pay.

Live is too short, never again.

PS I'm now with Bell Fibe 6. Downloads are right around 6mbps and the bundled price is only $5 more than what I paid at 3web.

Comments:

Review by portakit See Profile

• Location: m5j2y8
Good "Cheapish"
Bad "Unreliable service, Bad technical support (2Tier agents), and horrible internet speeds (half the rate advertised)"
Overall "Not recommended"

3web ISP

I have been a 3web cable internet subscriber since 2005. I have experienced monthly Rogers service audits that ended up in four separate disconnections (Rogers technicians manually unplugging me). I requested 3web instruct Rogers to label my connection to prevent future disconnections…this did not happen…accompanied by a Rogers technician, I ended up labelling the connection myself. Problem solved! Living in a condo compounds this issue tenfold. Due to this negative experience, I do not recommend 3web to condo owners! Rogers road technicians have never been made aware of 3web subscribers...client accounts are not noted on their service systems...so they simply manually disconnect your cable, thinking you are not a client.

I have also experience two major network disruptions caused by either Rogers and/or 3web that have left me weeks without internet. Yes, 3web is cheaper then the big guys (Bell and Rogers) but the hassle of resolving issues with 3web is difficult and at times, you feel left in the dark waiting for issues to get resolved. As of February 2, 2010....I have not been able to use my cable internet. A 3web 2Tier Technician called me last week to tell me they have no idea when the disruption will be fixed. In a condescending manner, he blasted "You are not the only one effected by this network issue...you know!" as an attempt to make me, the client feel guilty for complaining and seeking follow up information.

I suspect the problem with my connection is primarily due to Rogers playing gate keeper. I am not certain what is happening between Rogers and 3web…I just hate being caught in the middle.

For the most part, I have not experienced any negative issues with the billing department and/or their first tier service technicians. Recently, 3web staff corrected and refunded a long standing rental overcharge on my modem...I checked my credit card statement and it shows a refund.

I do not recommend 3web internet services. Their customer service has improved this year…well to be honest…the wait time to speak with a service agent on the phone is shorter…BUT the wait time for getting things fixed, like internet disruptions is now taking four times longer.

The speed of my 3web cable internet connection when "functional"...ha ha ha...has decreased significantly since 2007-2008. Streaming videos off of major television networks is horrible...very choppy and grrrr.....frustrating.

Trust me, you do not want to sign up with 3web!

Comments:

Review by mikegao See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "A little bit cheap"
Bad "Speed is even low as 600k"
Overall "No acceptable most of time"

Even the price is a little bit cheap compare to Dell and no traffic limitation.
But the speed is as low as 600k. Did you hear story that the upload speed is faster than download. You will have if you connect to this company.

The most displeasure thing is they will charge you one month extra service fee if you cancel your service even without contract and will not connect to their network anymore. The trick is hiding in the end user agreement. They said they can even charge more if you cancel your service. They are really shameless.

Don't even think to complain to them, you find no way to do that!

Comments:

Review by cellguy2000 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "Speed as advertised"
Bad "Have to reset Modem from time to time"
Overall "Fine when it works, but when you need service...GOOD LUCK!!!"

Had almost 3 years of service with them. They sent my modem and somehow lost the modem. It took about 3 weeks before I received it.

IN all had 2 service calls in the 3 years and it was resolved within the week of my calls to tech dept until now.

It all started beginning of August for NO "SEND" light on my modem. To make the long story short, 3WEB made a total of 4 booking calls with Shaw(local cable provider) to drop by my home, I took 3 days off to deal with it, NO ONE SHOWED UP!!!!

Even after talking to the SUPERVISER, who somehow booked the wrong day!!!for me the 4th time (it's almost September now), I finally decided that for the aggravation it was causing me, to unwillingly go with SHAW Extreme. 3 Days later and I'm online.

The Techs seem to think I wasn't home,call backs were inconsistent....they keep on telling me it's NOT their fault, well if 3WEB provided me the service, it's 3WEBs fault.

Yes the rate was cheaper,once you get it up and running, it's fine, but the moment you have a problem, good luck having them book a tech to your home to fix it. NO SERVICE FOR 3 WEEKS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I gave them 4 chances to get it right to no avail. I finally had to give up.
Very Unhappy to say the least.

There is another review that mentions that they may be going out of business. I'd look into that before thinking about 3Web.

Comments:

Review by Pastuch See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "There isn't any"
Bad "SO many I can't list them in this field."
Overall "The worst ISP in Canada. If you think Bell and Rogers service is bad 3web/CIA makes them look like gods!"

·TekSavvy Cable
ISP History:

Prior to 3web/cia I had Acanac. They were a solid ISP with good service. There biggest problem is they rely on Bell phone lines and bell throttled my internet connected down to a 1.7meg profile. Before that I had Rogers cable but the bandwidth throttling and caps were awful so I cancelled that. Prior to Rogers I had Bell DSL which was actually very good but I was capped at 300Kbps (Around a 4meg internet profile).

I decided to try 3web because I heard they don't throttle and they have cable. They have a 100gb bandwidth cap but after seeing how bad their support is I seriously doubt they will know how to turn off my internet service once I download 1000gbs in my first month of service.

Ordering online:

I ordered 3web/CIA gold cable on August 15th. I ordered through their online form and specified my address and apartment number. I also ordered their cable modem for $60. They did not tell me that there is a $23 dollar shipping charge to send the modem via Canada Post.

Scheduling the Rogers installer:

After waiting for a week and not hearing anything I contacted 3web(CIA) to find out the date of my install. They said they were still trying to shcedule it and they needed my postal code. I provided this in the original online form butgave it to them again. The next day they called me AGAIN for my postal code. I provided it again and reminded them of my apartment number. They didn't have it on file. Because their online form did not include the postal code my modem got stuck in shipping at Canada post. Due to their error I told them I didn't want the modem and made them take it back. That was almost a month ago and I am still waiting for my modem refund.

3web/CIA eventually booked the installer from 8am until 11am on August 22nd. I took time off work to stay at home to wait for the installer. The Rogers installer didn't show up until 1pm when I was back at work. When I asked the Rogers installer why he was so late he said: "We're not very organised". No apology, nothing. I called 3web to explain because the Rogers tech said I would have to rebook the appointment through 3web. It took 3web 8 days to rebook my installer.

The second visit by the install and the line was active (We think). He didn't test the line.

Cable Modem Provisioning:

Getting my cable modem provisioned on Rogers network has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had with an ISP and that is saying a lot. I have been waiting for 2 weeks to get my modem activated. I call 3 web customer service and billing every day to figure out what ios happening. My modem still isn't active and they keep telling me that they are trying. They screwed up the provisioning request twice and now I am waiting for them to figure out to request a mac address change form to rogers which we hope will get my internet working by tomorrow.

Summary:

1 month of aggravation, calling daily for 3web technical support and billing. Average hold times are in excess of 20 minutes before you get to an actual person. All they offered me so far is a month of free internet for all my aggravation. If my internet doesn't work by tomorrow I will cancel. If my internet does work by tomorrow I will do everything I can to download WAY passed their cap.

Comments:

Review by jmh_ottawa See Profile

• Location: Limoges,ON
Good "Cheap and nasty"
Bad "Don't ever cancel or you'll go through hell !!!"
Overall "Stay away... they"

I have been with 3web for several years and their services was mostly acceptable. It seems that during the past year their service has degraded to the point where it has become unusable for me and i moved to another provider. (I should note that there was a noticeable difference immediately)

This is where the fun begins.. It should be easy to cancel a service and move on.. right ? Hmmm you'd think so.

I started by talking to a service rep who informed me that he couldn't cancel my account and to do it online. I did this but it didn't register in their system for a few days.

I am now being told that i will have to pay for another month of service because it wasn't done soon enough. Firstly i was told it was only put into their system on the 1st of april.. which is incorrect as the submission was made prior. Then i was told that it had to be made before the 15th of the month... then i was told another date... so which is it ?!?!?!

So here i am now paying for a month of none use while paying for my new provider. My experience with 3webs staff so far has been terrible... my one and only warning is to avoid this company.

Customer service -5

An unhappy ex-customer who will NEVER return to 3web EVER!!!

Comments:

Review by lukec3 See Profile

• Location: West Vancouver,BC
Good "Saved $5 per month over Shaw"
Bad "Horrendous service"
Overall "Do not use this service"

Important: Anyone, who has or is signing up for this server. Make sure that you are not signed up for automatic debit or automatic charges through your credit card.

3web and I got off to a rocky start. It took 2 months for them send someone out to enable my service. We actually had it down to a routine. I'd take an afternoon off work, no one would show up. I'd call back, wait on hold for 20-40 minutes, they'd say 'sorry' and then we'd reschedule. I'm saving $5 a month though, totally worth it, right ?

For about the next 9 months my connection kept dropping. I would call, wait on hold for 20-40 minutes (or until I gave up on waiting), they would then 'diagnose' the problem. My favorite advice included:
-it's a billing issue, update your CC information and we'll restore service. Right, billing service that flicks your connection off and on...
-we don't support macs
-that's normal, there's no problem
-power cycle your modem
.... and I could go on

I'd take the afternoon off work, they'd send someone by, and maybe the technician would show up.

I signed up for service with Shaw. They are the ones actually providing the service in Vancouver and while they were a little more expensive, I could no long justify the time I was wasting for $5 a month savings.

My shaw service went live and I cancelled my 3web service. Well, I guess 3web wants you to be really sure about canceling your service because they ignored my first request. I cancelled it again, and now I was being charged $11.25 a month. They don't say what the $12 is for so I assumed it was for a partial month. Nope they charged me again, same amount. I inquired into this and they said it was for my dialup service. What ? I never signed up for dialup service. I asked them to reverse the charges as I never signed up for the service - no reply. I asked again and then I found out it was now outside of the 60 day dispute window. OK, it's only $22.50, no biggie, lesson learned, right ?

A couple of months later I got a charge for $112.95. I logged into my account, it didn't indicate what the charge was for. I asked what it was for, no reply. I asked again and I was told that it was because I hadn't returned my cable modem. I was later told: "You should have received an email tell you to return your modem". Well, I didn't. I contacted them as soon as I saw the charge for the modem and was told that by then it was too late to return it.. this is so frustrating.

If you get Donna as your rep by email, start over, she will not help you.
hdagent1201@3web.com

Luke

Comments:

Review by chawma1 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Connection was ok"
Bad "SCAM - they will steal your money through collection agency threats"
Overall "Stay away from this company"

At first I was reading all these negative reviews about 3web but still tried it out. A year after, I decided to switch to Primus because they offer a better deal. I returned the modem and after 3 months 3web started calling me for the modem claiming they haven't received it. I immediately cancelled my credit card that was hooked up to 3web knowing that they are gonna charged the cost of the modem ($100) to it. I was trying to reach 3web customer support but couldn't get through. After 2 months I got a call from Recover Corp (collection agency) threatening me to pay $110 for the modem or I will be put to the credit bureau. These persons are rude and arrogant. I was forced to pay the said amount. This is very sad. I paid for something that I didn't get. The question is where did the modem go? When I shipped it to 3web, I didn't get any call that they didn't receive it after 3 months. So how am I going to trace where it went. Tracking number was lost assuming that 3web has already received the modem and didn't bother calling me.

So to everyone out there, stay away from 3web. I had my lesson going to a cheap DSL company with no credibility. Save yourself some trouble and money.