Time Warner VOIP page on DSLReports

Review by Core0000 See Profile

• Location: Somerset,Pulaski,KY
Good "Faster than than Windstream"
Bad "Service lacking"
Overall "Duopoloies with little incentive to improve service"

The only other option for internet since I am a gamer, is Windstream, but since windstream in my area, fails to upgrade any of their service in years.. and years to something meaningful, I chose a Cable ISP. Just so happens it's Time Warner. They actually bought out the previous cable ISP in my area. NewWave.

I initially had a slower package. Like 10 down,5 up. I upgraded my services to 30 down, 10 up.. at least tried to. But they only had a 30/5 package. Which I upgraded to. Unfortunately the problem lays on their end... and I'm still only getting 10/5. What really sucks is I've called to clarify this, and they told me yeah that's the service I orderd 30/5. I then asked well, why aren't I getting it? Tier 3 told me their was a lot of noise on my line. Well they had a tech out, when they installed my service in initially, and he showed me the # when he was checking the line and said it was great. So either he was lying or something happened in that short amount of time. Whatever the case, I was told a tech would be sent out to check out the cable going to my home... and well nothing so far.

So I am paying 70+ dollars for service I am not getting. And I called on (5-4-2013) and its now (8-4-3013)... they have not contacted me like tech support told me they would.. I have not seen any tags on my door, and still getting 10/5 when I should be getting at least 25/5... Not getting anywhere near the 30 megs down.

I also have to pay a 6 a month modem rental fee... Motorola..

I honest to god, hate not having better service to choose from. I've got shit and shit. That's pretty much my options at this point, unless I just UP and move.. which is not the easiest of options.

It sucks complaining about an issue and the only people that can fix it or solve it.. are just hum hauling around. It really does. I feel powerless to do anything better. Because I ONLY HAVE TWO CHOICES...

Comments:
sokhapkin
join:2003-05-08
Cape Coral, FL

Modem rental fee???

Buy Motorola modem on ebay for $20. You will get return on your investment in 4 moths.
»www.callwithus.com
Core0000
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Re: Modem rental fee???

Thanks. But buying used stuff like that, used, makes me nervous.

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Easy to install, great price to bundle with other services"
Bad "Horrible call quality, lots of dropped calls, etc"
Overall "Please don't waste your time."

Hi:
I was moving so I decided to go for the bundle (cable, WIFI, and
residential landline) from Time Warner Cable in January of 2013.

Its been one month and because the land line quality was/is so poor, I am having AT&T install a landline at my residence on Monday. With Time Warner I've experienced many
dropped calls and calls with very poor reception. The guy who installed my
modem said that he hears complaints frequently and that their land line
service is "not one of their stronger products." What a waste of time - and
money.

P.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

There are many alternatives!

Try making some calls from Gmail (free to US and Canada). If those calls also have poor quality or are unstable, there is likely a problem with your cable drop or modem, which you should be able to get TW to fix. Even if you get an AT&T landline, get the cable issue fixed, since it will likely degrade other Internet services.

If the Google Voice calls work well, you could get an OBi100 to use it with your existing phones (add e.g. Anveo for E911 service).

There are dozens of other good options. If you want everything set up for you, look at VOIPo or Phonepower. If you want a DIY service with good support, look at Anveo, Callcentric, or VoIP.ms.

PHall

@rr.com

Re: There are many alternatives!

Thanks Stewart. I'm pretty sure its our cable drop and other neighbors have complained to TWC about their landlines - and there's been no improvement with quality. I had an AT&T landline for 20 years with no problems - so, its an easy fix for now. I'll explore your other suggestions at some point.

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "speed of cable internet"
Bad "charge month in advance. slow, ineffective customer service."
Overall "don't buy a headache"

I've been forced to have Time Warner Cable for the last 3 years. I can say one good thing--the high speed cable option is fast. Other than that, this company is a disgrace to the words customer service. Support calls routinely last 30 minutes on hold. Technicians arrive late or not at all and it takes multiple visits to resolve an issue. Mysterious charges appear on bills. And get this--they charge you for the month in advance. That makes making the simplest changes to your service (or removing bogus charges) a nightmare. They always tell you you have to call back in the next billing period or when the issue's resolved. Then you wait on hold for 30 minutes again. Pay per View orders only go through about 50% of the time. You usually have to call in. Boxes break regularly. DVR systems miss shows you try to record. And the installation guys will staple wires all over your walls so as to give you the most ghetto installation you've ever seen. They've started talking a lot about customer services but it's all lies and excuses. Poorly run company with crappy service. Just look at the number of good reviews vs. bad.

(review was emailed from domain cree.net)

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

What does this have to do with VoIP?

You rate "call quality" as poor, but your entire review doesn't even mention the phone (other than for calling Time Warner).

Do you have phone service with them? If so, what problems, if any, did you experience?

Review by NYC Girl See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "High sound quality, reliability, works w/home alarm system, mimicks landline"
Bad "Pricey, customer service is the worst, different areas offer different perks, extra cost for voicemail, few call features"
Overall "Quality VoIP and works seamlessly w/RR High Speed Online"

UPDATE: 9/26/11

I have since moved to the Bronx and no longer use Digital Voice as it is not available where I live. I am sure my review would be the same as below.

UPDATE 4/22/07:

The service itself continues to be great no issues no outages, etc.; however, what is annoying is that each area is not on the same page as far as benefits and features and NYC is getting shafted in this area. TWC offers different / more benefits to other areas of the state, such as free voicemail (3.95 per month for me), highly discounted introductory pricing (I was lucky to get the 2 month free offer and had to fight for THAT).

Customer service sucks as they are not knowledgeable of their products and services. It is a waste of time calling them as they roll over and play dead when you ask them about services in other areas. UUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

UPDATE 3/24/07:

Digital Phone must have read my post about offering more calling features. They have just now offered FREE 3 way calling, a bit long overdue, but nevertheless I am glad it is here and not offered for an additional charge. With Verizon you definitely had to pay for the service, 4.00 per month depending on the package have w/them.

UPDATE: 3/20/07

I have since discontinued the monthly unlisted service for 2.50 as I am not even sure that they even publish phone numbers; might be one of those bogus charges like what POTS charges.

Customer service is OK, kinda, except you have to call a few times before you actually get your request handled. For example I had to call twice in order for them to remove the monthly charge for the unlisting. It depends on who you get on the line when you call. In order to get the 2 months service credit on my bill, I had to call several times and spoke to several different people and departments. I did not give up as I was going to get my 2 months service credit, LOL. OR, it would have been a formal letter to their complaints department and then I will get a 6 month credit instead, this has happened to me; however, I will write about that later in a TWCTV review, LMAOOOO. I finally got one good customer service representative who credited my account right away. They were claiming that was not eligible for the discount as I didn't actually subscribe to the service online. I did, they send me an email stating that someone would call me back to handle my order - that's not subscribing online. So, I called customer service directly to sign up. AND, their was nothing on the site that stated that you must order online to qualify for the 2 month credit (now it does and it still is vague to me). I would have been happy to complete the order online, in fact, I would have preferred it. I made changes to my Verizon account online when I was moving 2 years ago, just followed up w/a phone call later to confirm and it was fine. The TWC website is horrible as their information is not up to date, not user friendly, you cannot send them an email message for service on it as you get an error message stating that they are looking into the problem, and you have to call them directly for any little change you want to make on your account. And I have mentioned to customer service that their website is not up to date and they just had a nonchalant attitude about it, too much!!!!

The service is great, I have not had any issues. I did call about the bit of feedback on the phone, of course nothing can be done. It is very slight and sometimes not there at all, it could be me looking for flaws, nothing to worry about though if you are considering DP. The overall call quality is great, sometimes better than POTS. The caller id doesn't always work but could be my phone, who knows. I just wish they had more features such as free voicemail w/the email notification feature, 3 way calling, etc. Brighthouse DP HAS free voicemail and 3 way calling, I need to make another call and ask about THAT!!!! I guess they think NYers are rich or something. We always pay more for everything. This division of TWC services FL and other states.

DP is a little pricier than other VoIP providers (actually now w/triple pay it is $33.91 - advertised price is $39.95 per month); however, I have not had any startup issues, I think I may have lost a call or two in the begining. The service works w/my alarm system which was a major concern and one of the reasons for not getting this sooner. Damn, I could have saved some money on the taxes for a bit until they decided to charge them in 07. Sales people told me there would be very little taxes paid and specifically asked them about this. They mentioned the E911 fee and a 3.00 sales tax added, NOT. It is still cheaper than the POTS line as I pay less for taxes and fees.

_________________________________________________________________

2/22 Voice Mail 3.95

02/22 Private Listing 2.50 - have since discontinued

02/22 All IN One Triple 129.95

Digital Phone Service, Basic Service, ., Remote(s) @ $0.25 Ea, Standard Service, Converter(s) @ $7.40 Ea, DTV, Phone @ $33.91, Road Runner Online Svc

02/22 Franchise Fee 4.13 - I have always paid this

02/22 State And Local Telecom Excise Tax 1.78

02/22 State Gross Receipts Tax .11

02/22 E-911 Surcharge 1.78

02/22 Mctd (186e And 184) Surcharge .28

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

The $149.05 is TWC's triple play packages which includes digital cable service (minus premium channels - I have HBO and Showtime for 19.95), digital phone +3.95 per month for voicemail, and road runner standard service along with applicable NYC, NYS taxes and 911 fees.

The reason I made the switch from Verizon to TWC Digital Phone service was due to the fact that I was fed up w/Verizon and their exorbitant fees and taxes!!! I was up to $65.79 per month for the Verizon Freedom Essentials package for 39.99 (unlimited calling to the US and PR). I originally signed up for the service when it was 34.99; it was $5.00 cheaper for me since I have Verizon wireless. It was a "good deal" at the time since I was on their regional plan for the same amount. A few months later the price of all their packages went up $5.00!!! I was still receiving my multiple services discount; however, if I were not a wireless customer the package would have cost me 44.99 per month, too much!! PLUS TAXES AND FEES!! AND 2 months free service from TWC wasn't too shabby either, LOL!!

The reason I didn't make the switch from Verizon to VoIP sooner is that I was too chicken to experience any potential drama with switching phone services and was worried about compatibility with my alarm system. It had only become available in my area since last year anyway. Sprint once offered inexpensive local and long distance phone service (or maybe they still do) and all the features were not available at the time the phone service was in place (had to wait 2 weeks) such as caller id, etc. I immediately switched back to Verizon like w/in 2 days.

I have had the service for over a month now, digital phone was installed on 1/20. Installation was OK, the tech guy took a while to install as he or customer service mixed up the serial numbers on the new modem ... who knows (uugghhh). All he did was replace my old modem, install a phone jack,hook up the cable wire, ethernet, and phone wire (not sure what it is called) to the modem. My old verizon number was ported seamlessly which was a pleasant surprise. I thought I was going to experience drama with that and have to get a new number. Once the modem was finally installed my phone service worked immediately, all features, caller id, call waiting id, call waiting, etc.

My long distance call quality actually got BETTER!!! I called a friend in CT and he noticed the difference right away w/out me even mentioning my new phone service. Local call quality is about the same as Verizon. Occasionally, at night, I do hear a bit of feedback when the phone is ringing on the other end before the person picks up to talk, very slight, not bothersome though. I will have to call tech support to see what's going on. No issues with dropped calls and such so far, occasionally the caller id does not work; I am not sure if it is my phone or the service. I don't have a special VoIP phone just my vtech fancy silver phone, their newest model. No issues w/using the internet while talking whatsoever; I think they actually gave me more "juice" the web seems faster for some reason - shhhhhh, LOL.

Digital Phone only offers basic call features, such as caller id, call waiting id, call waiting, speed dial, call forwarding, plus the *82 type features (no *69 - I don't use it anyway). Voicemail is $3.95 8-(. You can view your long distance calls on the web. You can call all 50 US states, US territories such as the USVI, Marshall Islands, Guam, PR, and Canada - don't know anyone in these countries but I can call there for free, LOL.

Will provide additional information on customer service soon.

Comments:

Review by Ronnie_USA See Profile

• Location: Morehead,Rowan,KY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Price"

While I was sick I had My internet turned off for 2 months, (hard to type with a broken hand) so I went to get it turned back on, and they offered this to for free for a year.

The only cost was a $44.00 dollar install. That amounts to $3.66 a month for telephone.

Comments:

Review by trparky See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Everything."
Overall "Works wonderfully."

What can I say... the service works and it works great. What more can I ask for?

member for 14.3 years, 8537 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Cool Dude See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
Good "Not much!"
Bad "Where do you start!!"
Overall "Time Warner is far away from being a reliable cable company!"

Support is weak! Quality of service is horrible!! Lack of substance!! Basically not worth the money!!!! Looking into going with Direct TV can't be much worse!!!

Comments:

Review by rothenmr See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Quick to setup appointment to install modem"
Bad "could not order online-had to call local #. Modem installed but can't connect router"
Overall "Tech Support sucks. technician didn't know how to setup a router. Called phone he provided--this person didn't know either"

First went online and chatted with a customer service rep. After a few minutes the rep stated they could not help me and that I had to call the local Time Warner office.

Called the local time warner office on Friday and the rep was OK. She talked a little fast and was not very knowledgeable about service offereing/choices. Appointment to install modem was quick--setup for Monday.

Technician came on Monday--he called and said if it was OK he can come earlier than expected. That was great.

Installed cable modem and connected to router. Unable to communicate. Then connected one Linux PC directly to the modem. Internet service, YES. However, technician was completely unfamiliar with computers and had no information to provide me to connect my Netgear router. Tried several times to reboot modem, router and PC. No change--no Internet.

Then I connected Windows PC directly to the modem. Reset the modem and restarted PC. Internet service, YES. Again, connected cable modem to router and turned PC, router, and modem off. Then turned on modem, then turned on router, and then turned on PC. No Internet service.

I called the phone number the technician gave me. Less than clueless person answered. Didn't have any idea how to help. Said she would have Tech Support call me. No call from tech support 2.5 hours later. Still waiting...

Comments:

Review by Dude111 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "All in one"
Bad "ABSOLUTE GARBAGE....."
Overall "They should either fix thier network or go out of business!"

The phone keeps dropping calls,its disgusting!!

An older verizon landline would be MUCH BETTER than this crap!

member for 11.1 years, 4676 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Anonymous_ See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "..Sound is great in all but"
Bad "cable internet loses connection when phone is used"
Overall "Perfect Sound but if it goes out you will not be able to CALL them LOL!"

Aug 30 2007

There is Feedback on intercoms

but over all the sound is Ultra Sharp better then POTS

install took 45 min's

came with internet

10/1

techsupport sucks (Long Holds sometimes) website is confuseing needs flash etc

1/18/08
went out many times in 4 days in a row

3/4/08

They lost the phone number that was being used

They forgot to do some paperwork and ATT took the number back
UGH!

6/19/08

no issuses so far no outages....

Lots of spamming from telemarketing on the Used number

7/21/08
Reliability: is getting poor

many outages in the past few days

Tech Support blows as there is no way to call them when it goes out

10/14/08 We moved to a new place they F$%&#$%^ up the install

they gave us a new phone number we got pissed and called them to fix it

also got a 60$ credit

10/26/08

modem not syncing at all

No way to call them

I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE cell phone min's 1-2 hours worth

12/4/2008

Few outages in the last month

system asked for update 7-6-2010