Time Warner VOIP page on DSLReports

Review by Core0000 See Profile

• Location: Somerset,Pulaski,KY
Good "Faster than than Windstream"
Bad "Service lacking"
Overall "Duopoloies with little incentive to improve service"

The only other option for internet since I am a gamer, is Windstream, but since windstream in my area, fails to upgrade any of their service in years.. and years to something meaningful, I chose a Cable ISP. Just so happens it's Time Warner. They actually bought out the previous cable ISP in my area. NewWave.

I initially had a slower package. Like 10 down,5 up. I upgraded my services to 30 down, 10 up.. at least tried to. But they only had a 30/5 package. Which I upgraded to. Unfortunately the problem lays on their end... and I'm still only getting 10/5. What really sucks is I've called to clarify this, and they told me yeah that's the service I orderd 30/5. I then asked well, why aren't I getting it? Tier 3 told me their was a lot of noise on my line. Well they had a tech out, when they installed my service in initially, and he showed me the # when he was checking the line and said it was great. So either he was lying or something happened in that short amount of time. Whatever the case, I was told a tech would be sent out to check out the cable going to my home... and well nothing so far.

So I am paying 70+ dollars for service I am not getting. And I called on (5-4-2013) and its now (8-4-3013)... they have not contacted me like tech support told me they would.. I have not seen any tags on my door, and still getting 10/5 when I should be getting at least 25/5... Not getting anywhere near the 30 megs down.

I also have to pay a 6 a month modem rental fee... Motorola..

I honest to god, hate not having better service to choose from. I've got shit and shit. That's pretty much my options at this point, unless I just UP and move.. which is not the easiest of options.

It sucks complaining about an issue and the only people that can fix it or solve it.. are just hum hauling around. It really does. I feel powerless to do anything better. Because I ONLY HAVE TWO CHOICES...

Comments:
sokhapkin
join:2003-05-08
Cape Coral, FL

Modem rental fee???

Buy Motorola modem on ebay for $20. You will get return on your investment in 4 moths.
»www.callwithus.com
Core0000
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Re: Modem rental fee???

Thanks. But buying used stuff like that, used, makes me nervous.

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Easy to install, great price to bundle with other services"
Bad "Horrible call quality, lots of dropped calls, etc"
Overall "Please don't waste your time."

Hi:
I was moving so I decided to go for the bundle (cable, WIFI, and
residential landline) from Time Warner Cable in January of 2013.

Its been one month and because the land line quality was/is so poor, I am having AT&T install a landline at my residence on Monday. With Time Warner I've experienced many
dropped calls and calls with very poor reception. The guy who installed my
modem said that he hears complaints frequently and that their land line
service is "not one of their stronger products." What a waste of time - and
money.

P.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

There are many alternatives!

Try making some calls from Gmail (free to US and Canada). If those calls also have poor quality or are unstable, there is likely a problem with your cable drop or modem, which you should be able to get TW to fix. Even if you get an AT&T landline, get the cable issue fixed, since it will likely degrade other Internet services.

If the Google Voice calls work well, you could get an OBi100 to use it with your existing phones (add e.g. Anveo for E911 service).

There are dozens of other good options. If you want everything set up for you, look at VOIPo or Phonepower. If you want a DIY service with good support, look at Anveo, Callcentric, or VoIP.ms.

PHall

@rr.com

Re: There are many alternatives!

Thanks Stewart. I'm pretty sure its our cable drop and other neighbors have complained to TWC about their landlines - and there's been no improvement with quality. I had an AT&T landline for 20 years with no problems - so, its an easy fix for now. I'll explore your other suggestions at some point.

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "speed of cable internet"
Bad "charge month in advance. slow, ineffective customer service."
Overall "don't buy a headache"

I've been forced to have Time Warner Cable for the last 3 years. I can say one good thing--the high speed cable option is fast. Other than that, this company is a disgrace to the words customer service. Support calls routinely last 30 minutes on hold. Technicians arrive late or not at all and it takes multiple visits to resolve an issue. Mysterious charges appear on bills. And get this--they charge you for the month in advance. That makes making the simplest changes to your service (or removing bogus charges) a nightmare. They always tell you you have to call back in the next billing period or when the issue's resolved. Then you wait on hold for 30 minutes again. Pay per View orders only go through about 50% of the time. You usually have to call in. Boxes break regularly. DVR systems miss shows you try to record. And the installation guys will staple wires all over your walls so as to give you the most ghetto installation you've ever seen. They've started talking a lot about customer services but it's all lies and excuses. Poorly run company with crappy service. Just look at the number of good reviews vs. bad.

(review was emailed from domain cree.net)

Comments:
Stewart

join:2005-07-13

What does this have to do with VoIP?

You rate "call quality" as poor, but your entire review doesn't even mention the phone (other than for calling Time Warner).

Do you have phone service with them? If so, what problems, if any, did you experience?

Review by Cool Dude See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
Good "Not much!"
Bad "Where do you start!!"
Overall "Time Warner is far away from being a reliable cable company!"

Support is weak! Quality of service is horrible!! Lack of substance!! Basically not worth the money!!!! Looking into going with Direct TV can't be much worse!!!

member for 13.6 years, 4127 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rothenmr See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Quick to setup appointment to install modem"
Bad "could not order online-had to call local #. Modem installed but can't connect router"
Overall "Tech Support sucks. technician didn't know how to setup a router. Called phone he provided--this person didn't know either"

First went online and chatted with a customer service rep. After a few minutes the rep stated they could not help me and that I had to call the local Time Warner office.

Called the local time warner office on Friday and the rep was OK. She talked a little fast and was not very knowledgeable about service offereing/choices. Appointment to install modem was quick--setup for Monday.

Technician came on Monday--he called and said if it was OK he can come earlier than expected. That was great.

Installed cable modem and connected to router. Unable to communicate. Then connected one Linux PC directly to the modem. Internet service, YES. However, technician was completely unfamiliar with computers and had no information to provide me to connect my Netgear router. Tried several times to reboot modem, router and PC. No change--no Internet.

Then I connected Windows PC directly to the modem. Reset the modem and restarted PC. Internet service, YES. Again, connected cable modem to router and turned PC, router, and modem off. Then turned on modem, then turned on router, and then turned on PC. No Internet service.

I called the phone number the technician gave me. Less than clueless person answered. Didn't have any idea how to help. Said she would have Tech Support call me. No call from tech support 2.5 hours later. Still waiting...

Comments:

Review by Dude111 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "All in one"
Bad "ABSOLUTE GARBAGE....."
Overall "They should either fix thier network or go out of business!"

The phone keeps dropping calls,its disgusting!!

An older verizon landline would be MUCH BETTER than this crap!

member for 10.7 years, 4485 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Anonymous_ See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "..Sound is great in all but"
Bad "cable internet loses connection when phone is used"
Overall "Perfect Sound but if it goes out you will not be able to CALL them LOL!"

Aug 30 2007

There is Feedback on intercoms

but over all the sound is Ultra Sharp better then POTS

install took 45 min's

came with internet

10/1

techsupport sucks (Long Holds sometimes) website is confuseing needs flash etc

1/18/08
went out many times in 4 days in a row

3/4/08

They lost the phone number that was being used

They forgot to do some paperwork and ATT took the number back
UGH!

6/19/08

no issuses so far no outages....

Lots of spamming from telemarketing on the Used number

7/21/08
Reliability: is getting poor

many outages in the past few days

Tech Support blows as there is no way to call them when it goes out

10/14/08 We moved to a new place they F$%&#$%^ up the install

they gave us a new phone number we got pissed and called them to fix it

also got a 60$ credit

10/26/08

modem not syncing at all

No way to call them

I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE cell phone min's 1-2 hours worth

12/4/2008

Few outages in the last month

system asked for update 7-6-2010

cable internet loses connection

member for 9.8 years, 4786 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by amge63 See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Inconsistent service, frequent outages"
Overall "Not worth the savings when you lose service all the time"

This is part of the bundled telephone, internet and cable package. The service and response has been dismal. The cable was out for 3 months, VOIP phone experienced frequent (once a week) outage. Sometimes it resets within a few minutes, other times it's out for hours. Everytime Time Warner schedules an 8am-8pm all day appointment for me to be around to fix it. Out of the 9 appointments, they only showed up 3 times.

The best one was when we called to check on the appointment status - the Time Warner customer service read the notes the technician had put into the system: "Showed up for appointment at 12:16pm, no one home." When asked what time it was RIGHT NOW - the customer service person replied: "12:10pm - Oh, I guess I should get them to go back out there." The guy never showed up.

Terrible customer service in person and on the phone. We'd dumping them. Never again.

Comments:

Review by DallasMike See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "sound quality was good"
Bad "too many outages"
Overall "Not rock-solid reliable"

All -

Moved from AT&T to Time Warner for Internet and Phone a few months ago.

Service quality was good - when it worked.

I have had six outages, ranging from a few minutes to half a day, since I switched.

I'm moving back to ATT, where I never had an outage of phone or Internet.

Mike

Comments:

Review by txholdem See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "voice quality"
Bad "pricey"
Overall "not worth the extra $$. Bad customer service."

I was an ex-Comcast digital phone customer that TWC took over. For 2-3 yrs, my monthly local bill was $32.65 (incl all taxes). 3 mnths ago, TWC converted me to VOIP and promised to charge me only 29.95 for an unlimited texas plan. However, after the promotional period of 3 mnths ended, they started charging me 39.95 (= ~48 after taxes). Many calls and emails have had no impact.

Needless to say, I'm dropping them immediately