WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by W5JGV See Profile

• Location: Natchitoches,Natchitoches,LA
Good "Fast downloads, fair upload, 95+% uptime. (Not bad for satellite.)"
Bad "Poor latency, uneven email server (I don't use it, so no problem.)"
Overall "It works for me and the way I use the internet. Satisfied customer."
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

We're enjoying backwoods living a few miles from Natchitoches, Lousiana, with no cable or DSL available, and only 21k dialup at best. Our requirements are multiple computer internet usage, email, web browsing, FTP for maintaining a half-dozen web sites, uploading my own copyrighted video, photos and data files.

I researched the various satellite internet offerings, and WildBlue appeared to be about the best for me. My wife and I opted for the PRO Pack. I read the TOS and fine print, and talked at length with the installation company. They informed me of all the changes WildBlue was making, so I was aware of what and what not to expect from the service. My local dealer is Totally Unwired of Natchitoches (DSI).

The installation was accomplished on the appointed date, in less than two hours, by a competent technician. I helped him with the install (I have worked with satellite systems for more than 30 years) but he really did know what to do and why it should be done that way. The system was low roof mounted, as that was in a well-protected area, well below the height of anything else around to reduce the possibility of a direct lightning strike. The cable run would be short to the modem, but I had him install about 50 extra feet of cable so I could move the modem as needed. He properly grounded the TRIA, coax cable ground block, and the dish. I made sure the roof mounting was secure and weather sealed, and later double-checked all mounting and disk hardware. It was all properly tightened. The RF connectors were weatherproof, and correctly installed and crimped on to the cables and properly tightened.

The commissioning and system configuration was fast, and soon I was on the web. I run a Netgear FVS-338 firewall router between the modem and my computers. I also have a dialup modem attached to the router for fallback when the satellite WAN is unavailable.

How does it work? OK, for the most part. If you have never used a two-way satellite link, you must realize that it requires time for the signal to travel up and down the path to the satellite. This happens for both the requests that your computer makes for data, and for the data itself to get back to you. This increases the latency of the system.

I was aware of the traffic shaping that WildBlue was implementing before I signed up, so I was not surprised when the latency increased considerably not too long after my system was installed. The long latency (over 2 seconds, in some cases) makes game playing, VPN and VOIP virtually unusable. It also causes long lags in loading https web pages. The latency is probably the biggest gripe most folks seem to have about WildBlue.

FAP - The Fair Access policy is reasonable for satellite systems, IMO. I haven't come close to hitting it, because I watch my usage carefully.

Downloads and uploads are as fast as advertised. MY FTP programs work fine, as well as email and web browsing. WildBlue's email server seems to have problems, and often seems to have problems. However, I learned a long time ago not to depend on your ISP's email service. I maintain all my email addresses on my own web server; that way I never have to change them when I get a new ISP.

The reliability of the service has been fairly good so far. Heavy storms will block the signal, but this usually does not last for a long time. This in unavoidable with a KU-band system, even with a bigger dish than WildBlue uses.

Some folks have had TRIA equipment failures for various reasons. So did I, after almost 9 month of service. The replacement of the TRIA required about two weeks, due to a shortage of new units.

During that time, I used the fallback mode of my router and the dialup service from Wildblue that is part of the PRO Pack. About two days into the failure, I realized that I was going to burn through the free dialup available to me with my package in about another day, then it was going to cost money! To avoid this, I signed up with another dialup access provider, 550access.com. The small cost of their service gives me more than enough dialup backup in the event of another service failure. If the WildBlue system gets bogged down - as happens some evenings - the router switches to dialup automatically for me.

Tech support was good the few times I had to use it. I didn't yell at the CSR, and they were polite and helpful.

Connection reliability is pretty good, except for the long latency and occasional slowdowns in the high usage periods in the evenings.

The monthly bill has been correct every month, exactly what the contract said it would be, and not a penny more.

In summary, I'll say that for us, it works out OK.

---UPDATE - 13 DEC 2009---

Well, the system is still running about as it did when it was installed. Only two problems have happened since the installation. The TRIA on the disk died and had to be replaced, and yes, it did cost me about $125 for a replacement. It took only about four days after my service call for the installer to show up and replace it. The whole process took about 30 minutes, and he rechecked the dish alignment in the process.

About 8 months after that, signals started to become very poor and erratic, with my connection dropping out for long periods of time. I determined that somehow the dish had gone out of alignment, and that the flexible plastic elevation alignment screw was bent out of shape. Strangely enough, all the mounting clamp nuts were firmly tightened, and I could not move the dish by hand.

I loosened the clamp screws and let the plastic screw spring back into position, then retightened the clamp screws, and all was good once again. I have no idea how things got out of position in the first place...

Speeds have been as advertised, with some occasional "prime time" slowdowns, and occasional system resets - apparently from the uplink end. Billing has been accurate, and the FAP monitor seems to be reasonably accurate.

So, then upshot is that I am happy with the service for what it is and what I use it for. Of course, If I had the option for a better quality and speed of service, I would take it, since that would allow me to do much more in the internet.

On a other note, lately I have been reading quite a few really nasty reviews from folks who seem to have some real problems with Wildblue. Perhaps they do, but it seems to me that most of these are cases where the reviewer either did not realize what they were going to get for their money, or they has unrealistic expectations about satellite internet service.

Now that's not to say that they may have been misinformed or flat-out lied to by the sales people or others when they signed up, but a quick read-through of reports on the forums here would have given them a pretty good idea of what to expect. I sometimes wonder if these reviewers even took the time to look into what they were buying. I wonder if these folks purchase a new car with the same amount of thought.

Yes it's expensive, yes it's slow, yes the traffic shaping is a pain in the rear, and yes the FAP is a constant worry. BUT - if you are like me, and have only poor dialup to fall back on, then Wildblue is workable. Of course I would like cable, DSL, or FIOS, but I'll be long dead and gone before that happens out where I live. And I like it enough out here so that I'll gladly suffer satellite internet before I'd move elsewhere just to get faster speeds.

---UPDATE - 28 JAN 2014---

Sometimes I wonder if I am on the same satellite internet service as the folks who complain bitterly about WildBlue. My system and internet service just keeps on working. I am still on the older legacy service, and since my last review update four years ago, everything has been working just fine. No hardware problems at all, and very few weather related service outages. So I have no complaints.

Of course, the system still has the fairly low data allowance and excessively long ping times that everyone complains about. The data caps are managed here by attacking the problem on several fronts. With three people using the system at all hours, plus three computers constantly uploading weather and amateur radio data to various web sites, email, YouTube and all the other things we do, I aggressively manage inbound and outbound data streams by the use of simple monitoring software on the computers, and a little common sense. The combination of a hardware firewall/router combination, software firewalls, up to date AV and anti-malware software on the computers (14 at last count) keeps junk traffic and unwanted data usage down to a minimum.

The biggest annoyance IMO is the very long ping times of the WildBlue system. This results in HTTPS pages (which are becoming more and more common on many web sites) requiring painfully long tines to load. Simple tasks such as editing a PayPal saved button are almost impossible to do without being timed out. Purchasing a mailing label on the the USPS web site takes almost 10 minutes due to the slow response of the WildBlue system and the HTTPS web pages. My slow 14.4K dialup IS faster than WildBlue in this case! And don't even think about watching an uninterrupted YouTube video. I have given up on that! Instead, I download the entire video and then watch it at a later time.

So, at this point, I can still say that I am still satisfied with the WildBlue service I am receiving. Yes, I wish it did not have the rather low data caps it has, nor the long ping times that make HTTPS pages like watching paint dry, but the system does what I was told it would do when I signed up. BTW, I read ALL the fine print and contacts BEFORE I signed on with WildBlue, so I knew what the system could and could not do. Did you?

Based on the excellent connectivity since my last update, I am raising my score for connection reliability by one notch; all other scores stay the same.

To the gang at WildBlue - thanks!

Ralph W5JGV

member for 13.2 years, 4651 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Exede Josh

United State

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer of WildBlue. I really enjoy reading about the positive experiences for our customers and know that of the 600,000+ customers we have that most have experiences like yours. If there is anything you ever need from us, you can email me at exedelistens@viasat.com. Thanks.

Review by ununhappy See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "very very basic internet is all it is good for"
Bad "horrible, solely a gimmick for the $300-plus cancellation"
Overall "worst company ever, hope they get what's coming in class-action"
Mail,DNS,News:

This review concerns EXEDE and WILDBLUE satellite internet service. DO NOT get this service!!! Read these reviews and find another way to get internet service. ANY other way. As a family, we go on social-network sites and watch a few music videos on Youtube, and that is it. I read the reviews and saw negative comments, but considering our usage to be less than what I would consider typical, we thought we would give it a go. BAD, BAD move! We exceeded our data usage allotment immediately, within a few days. 'EXEDE'-- it is a clever name, because customers are sure to quickly EXCEED their data ration. As with really horrible companies, they do not care to lose business, they are thriving from the cancellation fees. BUT I hope this review will dissuade many people from using this rotten company. We will be contacting the better business bureaus, attorneys general, & complaining all the way to the FCC . . . although we all know as the people of this country, the governing bodies could give a crap less about the consent of the governed anymore, they'd rather cater to these despicable businesses and their dishonorable practices. This review and the many others here are a sucking chest-wound, EXEDE & WILDBLUE, word will spread and the public will ceased to be duped. Whatever you change your name to, you will be discovered. Instead of offering a quality product to be proud of, you are choosing these policies: I my opinion, they are misleading, duplicitous, chicanery, charlatanism! Got my two cents in, though I would call it stealing, how you take over $300 for cancellation fees when folks see through you.

Comments:
Millenium

join:2013-10-30

A tip

A company requiring you to commit to service, as opposed to service at will, is an immediate red flag.
grabacon9

join:2013-08-21

No Class Action Allowed....

No Class Action is allowed thanks to the terms of service. You can only sue them as one person.
webersc

join:2014-02-02

Exede/wild blue

I can't agree more with the reviews. Signed up as it was bundled with Direct TV, assured that Exede would work by sales rep. Specifically asked about VPN "it's fine". Got service, exceeded data limit wihout warning (had no idea what had happened). Finally figured it out, bought more data, and then exceeded data limit emailing 2 Excel spread sheets!!! Asked how this was possible, and they would not justify. 300 just to get rid of the mess. False advertising and very misrepresented, plus tech support had long waits, couldn't answer basic questions, and frequently disconnected. This was really worthless, got Comcast yesterday. Terrible business model, and a real black eye for Direct TV as well

Re: Exede/wild blue

I agree - stay away from this company!! They lie about wireless and have terrible installers. I paid the cancellation fee and am done with them. But I will warn everyone I can to stay away from this so-called company. They won't be in service long with the business model they are using.
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
·DIRECTV

My Sister got Exceed

The only thing she could do with it was to check her email, and hope that nobody sent any large attachments, That's about all her previous dial-up connection was good for. Exceed is faster than dial-up and it doesn't tie up her phone line, that's about the only good things I can say about it.

Review by sannykent See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Bad "Very poor wireless service and bad customer service"
Overall "Be wary of wireless services. Do your homework before you sign."

When we changed our service to Direct TV, WildBlue came bundled with it. That was 12 months ago. I want to write to warn anyone ordering Direct TV to be very careful about the bundled wireless service. The DT installers were scheduled and arrived in December 2012. While they were busy installing, another installer arrived in a car marked with Wild Blue. I knew that we had scheduled with ViaSat for wireless but I did not know WildBlue was the provider for this area. The installer did not speak to me or explain anything about the service or how to contact them. I told him we agreed to an automatic withdrawal on the 4th of each month. He said fine and had me sign the contract. The payment is withdrawn every month on the 28th and regularly incurs a OD charge to our account. That means it costs $30 a month extra. I have tried repeatedly to discuss with a customer service agent and just been told that is the way it is. Secondly, they installed the modem by our television which is the other side of our house from the computer. When I contacted them about the weak signal they told me to buy a new router. I did this ($120) and nothing improved. The modem should have been installed by our computer. That would have meant a lot more work for the installer and I didn't know any better. That means we cannot have a wireless printer in our house because the signal will not travel family room to computer room. Thirdly, this company has terrible customer service. You have to wait long periods (20 to 60 mins) to even get a representative. On line assistance works well if you don't have an internet problem. Also our bank account was recently charged twice for one month. Our bank reversed this for us. Thankfully, because getting any customer from WildBlue is impossible. My message to everyone is check out the wireless service you are signing up for. Just because they tell you download and upload speeds does NOT make it true. They lie to get your signature on the contract. Our wireless speed is always very slow at any time of day or night. I cannot wait for the day I can get rid of this provider. ViaSat has zero accountability and does not do what they say.

Comments:
Exede Josh

United State

I would be happy to help with your billing issues

Hello, I am sorry to hear that you have not been able to correct your billing cycle date. I would be happy to take care of that for you. Please email me your name, telephone number, and the best time to call to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thanks.
sannykent

join:2014-01-11
USA

Re: I would be happy to help with your billing issues

How do I know who this response is from. I am suspicious after calling and being told you would not help me. Now this text appears. Not comfortable sending my personal information out like this. Also there are three distinct problems in my report about your service. You sent this response addressing one issue only. I don't trust you.

Re: I would be happy to help with your billing issues

said by sannykent:

How do I know who this response is from.

Sannykent, I am an exede employee on the social media team. You can verify this by visiting our community at community.exede.com, you can simply send an email to our social media team address at exedelistens@viasat.com. You request is a rather simple one, I am not sure why nobody has taken care of this for you, but I certainly can help.

join:2014-01-12

I wish I had read this first!

I had a terrible experience with Wild Blue. A technician spent 3 1/2 hours setting up the equipment, including drilling a hole in the wall, and then left with the internet not installed because my laptop does not have a CD drive (MacBook) and he can't finish the installation with that.

So, now Wild Blue wants to charge me a penalty for stopping my service that I never had!!!!! They refuse to waive the penalty.

Not only was the installer rude but also incompetent. I guess that is a requirement for working for this company.

sannykent

join:2014-01-11
USA

Re: I wish I had read this first!

There is no end to the unscrupulous behavior and lack of accountability to any governing body with this ViaSat - Wildblue company. What happened to truth in advertising. I hope everyone reads my original post.

United State
CTYankee, I am sorry to hear that a technician left without completing the installation, that should never happen. I will be happy to help you, please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call. Thanks!

Re: I wish I had read this first!

I have already been told by customer service that it is 'too bad.' She claimed that she 'called corporate' and I will be charged $15/month for 24 months if I discontinue my service.
Not Happy

join:2014-01-18
United State

Before even signing up I was first lied to by Direct TV. I was going to be switching from my price gouging cable and decided to use Direct TV at my residence. I asked them about internet service as a package. I was asked a number of questions about what we use the internet for and how often. I explained that we do a high order of usage due to game systems, Youtube, Netflicks and such. (That's what happens with three teens in the house). After being put on hold twice the "bundling specialist" told me the Excede would work. Due to their speed of 12 down and 3 up. Since they partnered with them they could order it and they sent me to Excede. I had absolutely no problems with either installation and the Directv service is great. But... after installing the internet I found out that for some reason my internet became increasing slow around 9 that night. When I went to the website is how I found out it was metered! Only 10 gigs REALLY!, No one during the process informed me that I was going to be held hostage to 10 gigs per month. What ever happened to full disclosure? Further more that I had to buy more at $10 a pop. Total sham! I went this route because my cable service provider was raising the rates on my 15 down speed internet and wanted to save some money. HAHA right. I got hooked into this for the next two year unless I want to spend a chunk of money to get out. Also, who wants to stay up until after 12 midnight (it is actually 12:45 am before I get the "Freezone") to watch a Youtube video. I guess I should have stayed with what I had and paid the extra $20 a month for cable (Unmetered) internet. Now the kids are pissed and worst of all Momma is pissed! No online entertainment for them. As far as the Directv the feature we liked the most was the VOD movies and tv shows. With Excede you can forget that program. That's one of the things that burned through the megs the first day. To keep the peace in the family I may just have to bite the bullet and come up with the $$$$ to get out of this. Now this may be great for a single person who lives on top of a mountain with only one road in and out and just beyond two cans and a string I give you that. But in populated areas where technology is growing faster than weeds on steroids come on now! All I want is my old life back as the saying goes. Don't let someone who works on commission direct (no pun intended) you unless you have researched it out COMPLETELY!

Re: I wish I had read this first!

You are so right. My issue is that I wanted wireless and the sales person told me 'no problem,' just have a wireless modem available. Well, the installer wanted no part of that and never installed it because my MacBook does not have a CD drive and he needed that. He informed me that he should get paid extra for this. When I called customer service, they said "We don't do wireless.' Well, that is not what the salesperson told me!!

Anon

@rellew.com
Wow! This company sounds like a complete waste of time. After everything you said, they assumed 10Gigs would work, or they maybe thought you would fork out over hundreds a month due to usage. You can't game on it either since latency is too high. 50GBs minimum a month I say.

Review by Montana See Profile

• Location: Darby,Ravalli,MT
Bad "VERY BAD. Treats their loyal customers like dirt"
Mail,DNS,News:

We travel for work about 6 months out of the year. I suspend our account for 6 months at a time with the understanding that if I do not reactivate the account will be closed. Apparently WildBlue changed their rules and left me a message on my cell phone Sept. 5th 2013 informing me of this change. I never received this message. I tried to activate my account on Jan. 1st 2013 and was told I owed $49.99 from Sept. 2013 and it was now in collections. I wasn't even home! I asked if they sent me a letter informing me that I owed this and it was now in collections. They said the collection notice went out on Dec. 22. 2013, which I still have not received. I do believe they legally need to let you know before it goes to collections. We have been loyal customers since 2007. Paying our bill on time for many years. The first thing, Debbie, the customer rep, (who was congenial at least, after reading other reviews about customer service I was lucky in that respect.) wanted was my credit card. Like I am going to give that information out so they can keep charging me for services I did not ask for or use? Debbie did talk to a supervisor who told her there was no way WildBlue would waive this fraudulent attempt at outright theft. (fraudulent attempt at outright theft are my words, not Debbie's). I will take this to the Montana AG. I suggest everyone on this site do this with their State Attorney General. Look up your government offices and document all conversations with WB. Some states allow you to file online. If you really are ambitious, sue them. You can do this on your own as well. WildBlue practices are dishonest and attempts to scam people out of their money is just not right. Consumers have rights now. If more people would file with their AG these dishonest companies would give better customer service and pay attention. They are like small time criminals, they need to be kept in check. of course I will find another provider. Because I live in a rural area they think I have no other choices. But they are wrong, I do have choices and they are not one of them. Thank the Lord I do not have a contract with them. In fact I think I will charge them storage for their outdated equipment.

Comments:
Exede Eliza

Here to Help

Montana,

I'm very sorry to hear about this experience. We certainly appreciate that you have been a long time, loyal customer and we do not want to lose your business. If you have found a different provider, we understand though. In that case, I personally want to make sure that we take every possible step to resolve your concerns so that you can leave knowing how much we really have valued being your provider since 2007.
If you have officially submitted a case with the AG, communication must take place between us and them to get this squared away. If a case has not been opened with them, please send me an e-mail directly including your name, phone number, and the best time to reach you. The email address is: wildbluelistens@viasat.com. We will get in contact with you right away. Thanks, Exede/Elizabeth
JR437
join:2004-08-04
Fallbrook, CA

Re: Here to Help

Eliza i think your here more for damage control than to help ,you were to follow up with me months ago and never did . I have also had very bad customer service with wild boo .However moving forward I would still be willing to see what help you could provide.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Bad?

Eliza, why doesn't Exede take steps to try and help customers with their problems BEFORE they get mad and leave? Sounds like a crazy concept but it might just work!

Review by alaurski See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING"
Bad "CUSTOMER SERVICE // SPEEDS // ESPECIALLY CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Overall "THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!!!!!!!"

This is a long review..I singed up for Direct TV and had to select a new internet provider. I was recommended to use Wildblue which was the biggest mistake ever. During the sign up, I was asked what I used my internet for. I told them I streamed most of my shows on netflix and watched a lot of movies. I should have been notified that this may not be the best option for me unless I wanted to spend an insane amount of money. Regardless, I wasn't and went ahead with the service. I immediately realized this was a big mistake but since I had a 24 month contract there wasn't much I could do. I decided to deal with it until my cancellation fee was an amount I would be ok with.

I ended up have to move about 7 months into the contract and decided I had to get rid of Wildblue. I called and cancelled the service and was then told I had to return their equipment. I figured this was the modem and had no problem returning this but was then told I had to also return a piece that was attached to the satellite on my roof. Excuse me????? I live in NYC and do not have access to my roof unless I want to scale the side of my building via the fire escape. Completely unacceptable and this was the only time this company did something right. They credited my account for $150 which would cover the charge once they didn't receive that part of the equipment.

Two weeks later, I still had not received the boxes the company said I needed to return their equipment. I called and made sure they had my new address and that they would be sending me the boxes to which I was told I would receive within 3 to 5 business days. Another almost two weeks went by and on November 26 I called again stating that I had still, one month later not received these boxes. I was again notified that they were being sent out.

Now comes the real kicker. On December 7th I was charged $300!!!!!! What!?!?!?! I'm being charged because your company can't get it together to send me boxes you say I need in order to return the equipment! I immediately called to have this situation resolved. The initial ppl I spoke with (i.e non supervisors or corporate) were nice enough but said the couldn't help. I was then transferred to the corporate office. The woman I spoke to was so condescending and unhelpful and informed me that the boxes the company sends out to retrieve their equipment is a courtesy and they are not obligated to do so. My question is then why was I never told this! I would have gladly sent the equipment back myself. The conversation with this woman was so infuriating. I asked to speak with her manager or another person and she refused. I just couldn't speak with her anymore and decided to call back the next day and hopefully speak with someone else.

Again, I was placed on the phone with ppl who have absolutely no sense of service. A gentleman told me that it was my responsibility to have the equipment returned in a timely fashion. Somebody please explain to me why I am being penalized because your company cannot get it together. All I kept hearing was that the only resolution I was going to get was once they received their equipment and that I should be receiving the boxes soon. They refuse to take any sort of responsibility for their mistakes and make you the customer suffer. Not a single person who works there is willing to help or even speak to you like a human being. They are terrible!!! If the woman I spoke with in the corporate office really is on the top then you can see where the rest of the staff get it from. Also they would not provide me with the address so I could just do it myself.

Realizing that there was nothing left for me to do, I just figured I would wait for these boxes. Not an hour after hanging up, my neighbor sent me a photo of an attempted UPS delivery….guess what….it was the BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That left me having to call this horrid company once again and beg for them to send me these boxes so I could be done with them.

I work in the customer service industry and am appalled by how my situation has been handled. I will let anyone who will listen know to never use this company!!!!

Comments:
Exede Eliza

I would like to help...

Hi Alaurski,

I am truly sorry to hear about the negative experience you had when trying to get your concern resolved through our customer service department. We certainly don't want our customers feeling that they were not treated with respect and kindness. It is also disappointing to hear that the data limits were not properly discussed with you at the time you signed up. I can totally understand how frustrating that situation probably was for you.

I would like to help get everything taken care of right away!! If you would be willing to send me an email including the phone number associated with your account, your contact phone number, and the best day/time to reach you, I will definitely give you a call and get to the bottom of these concerns.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to turn this situation around for you. Thanks for sharing and take care!

Exede/Elizabeth

Review by igo4mtns See Profile

• Location: US
Bad "WORST"
Overall "Do NOT Use This Company!!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I called WildBlue last week advising I needed to cancel my service as I had become unemployed. I was met with condescension and ridicule. During all 3 calls (they chose to answer), I asked to speak to a supervisor and was advised there was no supervisor.

The 1st person I spoke to actually called me back to mock me. I recorded the conversation and you can very clearly hear them laughing and cheering on the caller in the background.

As of today, they still have not cancelled the service despite the repeated phone calls and several emails.

The internet service was a joke, incredibly slow and unreliable. The monitoring of internet usage seems haphazard and they will not provide an actual log of usage if requested.

The only "good" part of the WildBlue "experience" was the installation person was friendly. But now I realize he was BSing right along with the rest of the WildBlue jerks.

Comments:

SEH

@mycingular.net

Worst company ever

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked with. They give you nothing but headaches!

kennycupler

@74.135.120.x

Re: Worst company ever

there a rip off
joke mail a letter faster

philh

@172.242.149.x
I just wanted to agree with your comment. This company is indeed very BAD! Just today I found this site. And these money mongers want to get $10 out of you just to be able to post here. It takes literally hours to resolve minor problems. Their accuracy in logging up internet usage is very questionable. After endless quabbling with Terrence (1631), and he was my third call in on a single issue, my problem was finally resolved...but ALL in their favor. Terrence had the audacity, at the end of my issue, to try to pressure "sell" me on their phone service. He went into his sell spiel endlessly and probably did not here me say "no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no, throughout all of his pitch. When finally there was a pause, I made it very clear I wanted nothing to do with it. DONT TRUST this company. Im typing this because I think he was under some pressure quota himself. My experience last month was after I had declined a 5 gig free once in a lifetime offer and now, this month, wanted to use it, Terrence informed me I used it last month. Blah, Blah, BS! I'm searching now to locate the process for filing complaints with the FCC or whatever governmental body may effect some kind of equity. DONT TRUST this company. Someone should make them give accurate monitoring access to exactly what usage of internet data is being paid for. DONT TRUST this company. They will delete this of course. But maybe a few will see it before they do. I notice on about every negative post they do a very pretty, very nice, pretense at trying to be most accommodating. But why do they ask for you name and email and a phone number when they already have it? Lastly, DONT TRUST this company. Philhuberis@gmail.com WOW! This wholething was unable to download 12.26.13

Let's get resolution

Hello igo4mtns,

I'm really sorry to hear about the negative customer service experience you had. It is not acceptable to refuse a customer to speak with a supervisor. That is completely against our customer service quality standards.

Changes in employment and financial hard times are very difficult to go through, I am very disappointed to hear that the agents you spoke with did not understand this.

I would like to help get your concerns resolved right away. Please feel free to e-mail your contact phone number, best day/time to reach you, and a brief description of what happened and needs to be done (maybe copy your post from this site) to me. My email address is: exedelistens@viasat.com.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Unfortunate but...

It is certainly unfortunate you are now unemployed.

That said, your review seems to be founded on that bias. Life-changing events happen such as losing a job and that is certainly how credit is ruined.

WildBlue has a contract you signed. Perhaps you should have made better arrangements based on the wording of the contract.

Review by polsen See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Honestly, I can think of nothing good"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Find something better. Like AOL."

I'll start with this copy and paste. It's a response from excedeEliza to an earlier review.

Response to your concerns

Hi TexasGirl137,

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns with customer service. Customer service is a top priority for us and I will be more than happy to address the issues and help in any way I can!

To respond to a few points in your post:

It is absolutely, 100% true that satellite internet is not recommended for heavy amounts of streaming movies/tv or for live gaming. How long the data lasts is directly dependent on what activities you engage in online. General web browsing and social media for 4 hours a day will use about 10GB in a months time.

All satellite internet service at this time comes with a monthly data allowance. Streaming video uses up data really fast (unless during the late night free zone). Satellite internet technology means that the signal must travel from the gateway dish to the satellite in orbit (22,000+ mi), and then back down to your home (22,000+ miles). This distance causes about 600-800 milliseconds of latency or lag. We are on the cutting edge of technology in the market today, but there is no solution to eliminate this lag time developed yet. It is this latency that causes problems with gaming.

You mentioned that you believe your data was used during the late night free zone. This is definitely not the way the system is set up to work. I would need to ask some troubleshooting questions and submit your account to our technical escalations team to research further. If you were not reimbursed for lost data, please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com. I will need your name, account number/phone number, a brief description of what happened (can copy/paste your post from here), and the best time to reach you. I will also be happy to get you in touch with technical support to address the issues with connectivity between 5-8pm.

I hope to hear from you! Thanks for sharing your experience open and honestly. We are listening and your feedback can help us in our commitment to working toward higher quality of care and customer satisfaction.

Take care

First of all, while it might be 100% true that satellite internet is not recommended for heavy streaming, no one at WildBlue will tell you that at sign up. It didn't take long ti figure out though. After years of service we were forced to cancel our Netflix because streaming video was next to impossible.

Second, I'm tired of hearing about the LNFZ or late night free zone. Unmetered data between the hours of 12am - 5am!? That's awesome! If you're a kid staying up late or unemployed. Not so great if you're employed or have something to do the next day. Honestly, I don't see how this is even a selling point. And maybe it's not, considering I didn't find out about it until I was browsing through other blogs trying to find out why my internet was so slow. The long and short of it is, don't waste your time. Maybe you have no other options, I guess. Fortunately, we live a few miles from a tower and can pull 4G and great reception so as soon as we can we're canceling this joke of an internet provider and upping our Verizon data plan and getting one of their jet packs. The speed when unmetered will be comparable but the fact that we won't be choked off when we are at 70% of our limit is more than enough for me. Plus, Verizon will send us messages via text and email to let us know when we're approaching our limit. That's all from me. take care.

Note: WildBlue employees please do not respond to this review. I do not want to hear from you and quite frankly after reading other reviews about the rude, condescending people manning you're tech support lines you're responses in this blog are just patronizing.

Comments:
Exede Josh

I am here to help

Hi, Polsen, I would certainly like to help in anyway I can. If you can email me your name, telephone number, and best time to call, I am sure we can find a resolution for you. Just some things I wanted to clear up, we don't slow our customer's speeds down at 70%. On Wildblue services speeds are slowed to 256 kbps at 100% and remained slowed until the customer is below 70% usage for the previous 30 days (for at least 24 hours). Exede customers are slowed at 100% and remain slowed until their usage resets on their next bill date. I am sorry if there has been any confusion over how the usage is calculated and when services are placed in restriction. Again I am sure we can help with any issue you may have Thanks and have a great weekend!
polsen

join:2013-11-30
Carbondale, IL

Re: I am here to help

I appreciate your response, Josh. Thank you for clearing up the data usage confusion. May I just say the fact that you have to troll reviews in order to do damage control should speak volumes for anyone thinking about your service. Have a good weekend as well.

Re: I am here to help

Polsen, I agree 100%, I think the fact that Exede employs me to proactively seek out customers who need assistance does speak volumes about what we offer. I hope you too, will allow me to assist you. Thanks again!

Lorna

@leapwireless.net

Thanks for input

Yikes! I sure am glad I read all of these posts B4 signing up for Wild Blue.
Lorna

Review by WildBlueSUX See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "My contract is almost up. I am counting down the days untill I can switch to ANY other ISP."
Bad "Not enough space for all the negatives! Speed, value, reliability, but ABOVE ALL customer support!! "
Overall "Go with ANY other option. I would take DialUp AOL over this sham of a company."
Mail,DNS,News:

The only reason I went with this company was because I am in a rural area and was looking for a service that would work for VoIP. The Wild Blue operator GUARANTEED me it would work with their system. Against my better judgment, I singed up for their top tier plan. Well, obviously it did not work with my VoIP service. After calling customer service and being transferred to tech support to ask why it wasn't working, they basically laughed at me for being so gullible and said everyone knows VoIP wouldn't work with a satellite connection. They also claimed that I would get +3Mbit, but I am lucky to get 10% of that. On follow up, they informed me I would get UP to 3mbit, and no minimum speed was guaranteed. Forget trying to use YouTube or watch NetFlix. The service routinely goes down, all it takes is a cloud in the sky. The worst part is once you hit just 70% of your data limit, they throttle you back so bad that the remaining 30% the you pay for is unusable! Once throttled my latency is +1500ms, and my download speed is around 6kB/s!!! Dial-Up Performance at Broad-Band Prices!!!! Most web servers assume you timed out, therefore you cannot even load many sites. And you obviously do not get to roll over that part of your data allotment you payed for that is unusable. I understand fair usage policies and throttling, but at least let me use all the data I pay for each month at a usable speed!! Or wait until I am at 90-95% before crippling me! I'm I am in a rural area and use my internet service for work and have had to resort to driving 20 minutes one way to where my Verizon 3G service works on nearly a daily basis.When I call to request to be reimbursed for the unusable data, all they want to do is try to up-sell me to "Exceed" or my alternative is to pay to break my contract early. I hope that new customers read my review, and the countless others like it and run from this company as fast as they can. When 90% of your company reviews online are negative, you need to take a good look at yourselves in the mirror. Never mind the fact that nearly ALL positive reviews are from the Recovery Plan they no longer offer! It took a government subsidy for them to treat customers half way decent and to deliver a serviceable product. Unfortunately, these guys know satellite service is a last resort, and if you are forced to use them, you clearly have no other alternative. I am currently shopping for a 3G repeater to install at home in hopes to use Verizon Wireless to replace Wild Blue. There is a reason they are getting rid of their brand name and trying to replace it with Exceed; WildBlue has become a laughing stock and has surpassed the DMV as the punchline to any joke about shabby products, service, and customer support.

**Update** Since the connection is so bad, a DSLR bandwidth test will not complete. Heck, most of the time they will not start since my latency is typically +1500ms. Therefore, it will not record to the website's database. I attached a screenshot of my 10th unsuccessful attempt to finish a test. I was able to get the ping portion to complete, and the download portion to start. The upload portion was given 15 minutes and never went beyond 0% complete. I also performed a Tracert and TestMy.Net test per DrStrangeLov's request. I also had another go with customer "service", see my post below.

Comments:
Exede Josh

Speeds and Usage

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about your speed and usage issues and would be happy to look into this for you and find a suitable resolution. If you could please email me at wildbluelistens@viasat.com with your name, telephone number, and the best time to call I'm sure I can assist you. Thanks!

4 edits

Re: Speeds and Usage

Thanks for the cookie cutter response but I've already done the song and dance with your operators and techs. If they had made an effort to be helpful, or even be polite, that would be one thing; but it shouldn't take me putting up a negative review in the public eye to get a chance at support after the fact! This isn't a dig at you personally Josh, it's just so frustraiting to see a corporation treat people like this! A paying customer should get a little compassion without having to resort to this extreme! It's a crying shame your company has to have a full time "Social Medial Escalation Team". Why can't you just treat people honestly from the start so it doesn't escalate? I'm already on the most expensive WildBlue plan, and the bait-and-switch to Exceed with higher costs and lower caps is defiantly not for me. I have 2 months left on my contract, and a box of #00 buck shot to tune up my modem and dish with come the first of the year.

Re: Speeds and Usage

WildBlueSUX, did we ever get your technical issues resolved? We can help you with this. I completely understand and agree that it shouldn't come to this route to have your issues heard and resolved. Believe me, we're working around the clock to ensure our customers satisfaction is met based off the feedback we receive from customers such as yourself.
If you would still like us to look into this matter, we most certainly will. Please send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you.

3 edits

Re: Speeds and Usage

Thanks, but no thanks Zac. After my last interaction with a particularly arrogant operator this morning, I am done. All I want is to be able to use all of the data I pay a sizeable amount of money for each month. I am still in the bandwidth penalty box. Mind you I have NEVER once gone over 90% of my data limit, and I typically do not exceed 60%. I am coming into my third week of crippling throttling, and this is not the first time. After asking to speak to a supervisor this morning, I was told by the operator that would be futile, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING can be done. My options are to deal with it, or sign up for 2 years of Exceed, buy all new equipment and do all my surfing and work in the LNFZ due to the lower cap. I hung up out of frustration. I have never been denied the right to speak to a supervisor before by any company! I have noticed all of the "customer service reps" I have dealt with are little more than salesmen working on what I figure to be a commission or bonus basis. That is just my observation.

Luckily, a neighbor recommended I try calling a company called Wilson Electronics out of Utah. I spoke to a very friendly gentleman who walked me through how their 3G repeaters work, and how to perform a preliminary check to see if thier system will work in my location. I was able to get enough signal strength with my Verizon phone on the top of the roof to get a 3G signal for a split second. My company provided me with an older MiFi with a grandfathered unlimited data plan I use while on the road. He said there is a very good chance I will be able to get a data signal on the MiFi with the repeater he recomended. The fact it will boost call signal strength is just icing on the cake. They are sending me one with a 30 day no questions asked return period, and he even said they would pay the return shipping if it doesn't work. I also am picking up a 15' length of galvanized pipe to mount the directional antenna on. Worst case, I will only be out my time if it won't work. I'm willing to try anything at this point. If it does work I will recoup the costs within 4 month of terminating WildBlue.

Re: Speeds and Usage

I really hope that we can get your issues resolved. I do understand you're looking into another provider, but I would like to look into this and see if I can't fix your issues of your connectivity. Thank you.
Spice300
join:2006-01-10

?

If I understand you correctly, you are FAPed even though you have not exceeded 90% of your usage limit. This could have been caused by fictional usage spikes and fictional usage like Wildblue has been putting on my FAP meter since last Spring. I got FAPed 3 times by the fictional usage spikes. They force you to use considerably less than your limit. If this is what is happening, Wildblue will not help you with this. They will deny it and ignore you just like they did to me.

Look at my thread Fictional FAP Usage II. Might this be what happened to you?

However, you also mentioned that the signal is lost with slightly cloudy weather which suggests your dish is out of alignment.
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

2 edits

Re: ?

said by Spice300:

Exactly. The phone reps could care less about me. They just want to up-sell me to Exceed. Naturally, all of this is my fault for not understanding my contract. It took me posting on here to gain any kind of attention from the company.

What's odd is the first time I called about being throttled, the rep said "No Problem, you will be back up to full speed in a few minutes" and I was after he did a few quick key strokes. That was the first time I ever heard about the 70% policy. It was conveniently not mentioned before I signed up. Now, there is "Absolutely Nothing" (Direct Quote) that can be done without shelling out $$$ to get the data I pay for. I can understand FAP and don't even mind reasonable throttling, but 30% of data I have payed for every month for almost 2 years is literally useless.

Re: ?

I did ask for you to email me for assistance. I know that you are having an issue with your speed of service because you're still showing as DAPPED on your usage when you state you shouldn't. I would like to look into this. If you would email me at wildbluelistens@viasat.com with your name, number and time to call, I will look into this. Thank you.

United State
Hi Spice, I just read your linked thread, I would like to look into your usage issue for you. If you can email me at wildbluelistens@viasat.com, with your name, telephone number and the best time to call, I will be happy to research this for you. Also I just want to make sure you are aware that it can take a full 24 hours for your meter to be updated. That may be some of the discrepancy you are seeing.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Happens with ALL satellite internet providers!

Duplicate.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

All Satellite providers do it.

Folks, the same thing happened to be with HUGHESNET.....You can't fight it, they'll deny anything is wrong. the NOC will deny throttling (even though it happens).

Hughesnet finally agreed to cancel my contract with no ETF (I guess they got tired of my persistence and calling them everyday). "EXECUTIVE ESCALATIONS" means nothing today.....

Good luck with your issues.

(PS.. I did have "wildblue" 6 months before I decided to try Hughesnet). Even had the president of the company (David Leonard???) trying to help me.

join:2013-11-18

Re: All Satellite providers do it.

Yeah, HugesNet and WildBlue.
Reminds me of that song by The Who, 'Won't Get Fooled Again'..... "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
ceciledian

join:2003-01-10
Cedar Hill, TX
·WildBlue

Re: All Satellite providers do it.

I got more assistance from the online Exede people such as Zac than I ever did over the phone. If you need any more help I'd recommend taking him up on his offer. My experience with Exede was mixed, although all an all the service worked well enough for satellite.

Review by bigtexman1 See Profile

• Location: USA
Overall "Worst Wireless internet service every!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We just moved to a small town and didn't have a lot of options for high speed internet service. Our local data company. Vertical loop setup our dish network system. We asked them about internet service and they recommended "Wildblue" . well not having a lot of other choices we agreed to let them install this worthless Wireless internet service. Half the time I can only get around 1.5 megs download and .9 upload. It's worst than dial up. Matter of fact, I think dial up might even be a better choice for those of you considering wildblue. I called Vertical Loop and they gave me the 800 number for wildblue. So I called them and they had me check this and that, and ever so often I could get dl speeds of 3. megs. But it's never constant. I asked them about disconnecting it. I was never told up front that I signed an 18 month contact. Plus I paid a bunch of money for the dish and other junk to get it installed in my home. They said that I would have to pay $15.00 a month for a full 18 months to disconnect my account. I haven' even been connected 30 days.. Don't let them hook you into this worthless service.. They are crooks.

Comments:
Exede Eliza

Speed of service

Hi bigtexman1,

I'm sorry to hear that the speed of service has not been what we would like it to be. I will be more than happy to take a look at your account and do everything I can to help get this concern resolved! We definitely want you to be able to enjoy the service to the fullest.

Please send me an email including the phone number associated with your account, contact ph# (if different), and the best time to reach you.

Review by MTate2008 See Profile

• Location: Kirksville,Adair,MO

I moved out to the country in July. Though it's just a mile outside of town practically no one services the area. I was informed by direct tv that I could bundle wild blue and get some money off my bill. It was supposed to be faster and more reliable than the internet I was currently using which was important to me because I had to get a microcell which acts like a mini tower for my cell phone. It is my only lifeline. I live by myself and it's my only contact. So I went with wild blue. Biggest mistake of my life

So two weeks after I order the internet some guys come to set it up in mid august. They were super creepy and I did not feel safe having them in my home. They finished and I went to buy a router for wifi that no one told me I needed to supply. Whatever.

Two months later my internet starts going in and out. I called wild blue and they couldn't send someone out for two weeks. I'm a med student who needs internet to do all my class work not to mention, be able to call 911. The next day it stopped completely. They gave me $25 off my next bill and I waited patiently for someone to fix my internet.

Today is the day it was supposed to be fixed- between 8 am and 12 pm. So I skipped class to wait for the tech. Around 11:30 someone from wild blue calls and says they can't send a tech until Wednesday. I realize that's only two days more but I've already been struggling without Internet for two weeks. I called customer service again and the people were very rude to me!

I do not Recommend this company to anyone. They are completely unprofessional and do not care for there customers at all. They trap you in a contract and charge ridiculous termination fees. I also suspect that my equipment to have been installed improperly. I shouldn't have become unaligned in two months. It definitely should have been more stable than that. All of it is a load of crap.

Comments:
Exede Eliza

Service call scheduling delays

MTate2008,

I'm so sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced with getting your service fixed. I would completely freak out if I didn't have internet for 2 weeks!!! I can't imagine why it would take so long to get a technician out there unless you are in an area that is very remote. I would be happy to take a look at your account and see what I can do to help out and make this right with you.

Please feel free to send an email outlining what has happened and include your contact phone number and a good time to reach you to: exedelistens@viasat.com.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to speaking with you!