WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by LFX See Profile

• Location: Parkersburg,Wood,WV
Bad "Charge for anything going through router!"
Mail,DNS,News:

My father in law pays $70 a month and gets 10 gig cap a month. He wanted an external hard drive installed to back up his 2 pc's. I installed an external and set both pc's to back up to it. After 3 days he was out of his 10 gig cap. He talked to 3 different Wild Blue reps before 1 finally said he was charged for "other". He asked what other was and they told him, "ANYTHING" that goes through the router is considered other and was charged an extra $110.

Even though backing up his 2 computers to his hard drive used no internet he was charged for the data that went through HIS router! I have to ask, isn't that criminal? He has since unplugged his external hard drive, but I would like other peoples thoughts on this since it doesn't use Wild Blues bandwidth, how can they charge for it.

Comments:
Exede Kim

join:2014-05-09
Rockford, IL

....

Hello LFX, I believe there has been a miscommunication regarding the charges to your father-in-laws bill. The only thing ViaSat charges for, outside of your plan's price and your monthly equipment lease fee, is extra data that is purchased. Please send me your info to exedelistens@viasat.com and I will take a look into this to clarify the information and charges. Thank you.

Review by northwoodst See Profile

• Location: Three Lakes,Oneida,WI
Mail,DNS,News:

Upload skyrocketing for no apparent reason was on the phone several times to no avail. Have had this service for several years and had upload problem once before. Wildblue adjusted usage. Now service is terrible and will contact Attorney General regarding Wildblue

Comments:
Exede Kim

join:2014-05-09
Rockford, IL

Uploading.

Hello northwoodst, I am here to help and would love the opportunity to do so. If you can, please send me your info to exedelistens@viasat.com and I'll see what I can do for you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Review by deltad See Profile

• Location: Mitchell,Davison,SD
Good "Can someone answer this?"
Bad "FAP"
Overall "It's ok, since I dont have a lot of options."

So I've had Exede for a couple years. Overall I am happy with it, the speeds are great most of the time and about the only thing I'm not satisfied with is the FAP. Recently I have been made aware that due to a new tower in my very close proximity, I can now get a wireless signal.

My question is this: the plan they tell me most people go with has speeds of Up to 2Mb down/512k up.

I have friends that have it and they say they are very happy with it and are able to utilize Netflix, etc....and that there is no buffering when downloading a movie. There is also NO download limit, which is very attractive to me, I'd like to be able to use the features of my "smart tv"

The friend did a speed test on her wireless signal and it said her download speed is 1.65 Mbps, upload speed is .057 Mbps and ping is 15 ms.

My speed test with Exede is 19.15 Mbps down, and 2.80 Mbps upload, ping is 671 ms.

I don't know a lot about this, but how is it possible that they can download movies at that speed, and be happy overall with that download speed? Does it have anything to do with Ping?

I am scheduled to have it installed on Friday, and of course will not be disconnecting my Exede until I see for myself how the service is.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks!

Comments:

Review by bobmepp See Profile

• Location: Hastings,Barry,MI
Good "Speeds so far are very fast (for satellite internet)."
Bad "The slow pings are there but not quite as slow as I expected"
Overall "Great service for my rural area where there are no alternatives"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had been suffering for two years with deteriorating mobile "broadband" hotspot service via a Sprint smart phone. Speeds were dropping, often to no better than dialup, and the straw that broke the camel's back was a newly imposed hot spot data limit of 5 gigs per month, when we had been averaging 8 gigs per month. Overages were to cost $50 per gig. Not workable, do I dumped it.

About the same time, I received a mailer for the new exede satellite being offered by Wild Blue. I guess the new name of the company is exede, although my dish has "Wild Blue" on it. I ordered the 25 gig per month service at $130 because I need some capacity overhead for my photo editing and web design businesses. I called a Wild Blue dealer in Battle Creek, Michigan, and arranged installation through them. This whole process went very smoothly, with the installer arriving on schedule and spending about a half hour with me discussing alternatives for the dish location, and doing a good job of explaining maximum wire runs allowable, etc. He really knew his stuff, and did an excellent install, with a proper ground connection and careful wire routing in the house. I absolutely cannot fault the install process in any way. It was a nice clear day, so he got full signal strength promptly, he demonstrated the connection speed with some HD video, and he was on his way.

Over the past three weeks I have been averaging 6 to 8 mbps down and 1.5 to 3 mbps up. Very little speed differences during prime time hours. Peak speeds have measured over 12 mbps. I did a download of a 150 meg video card driver in less than 5 minutes. Have done a download of a full album from Itunes and just a few minutes. Pings, as expected, have been about 850ms. These hurt script laden page loads where there are multiple calls back to the server during the load. Still, most web pages are there in 5 seconds or less. There have been two brief outages. I called the support line during one, and the person who answered spent 20 minutes with me, providing very useful information when I told him I was a new customer. The second outage was weather related, and was over in about 1/2 hour. I really can't fault anything about this service. If they don't overload the beam with too many users, this promises to be a great solution for me.

Update 9-9-2012: Things are continuing to go very well. I haven't calculated precisely, but my uptime has been excellent. Total outage time so far due to weather: about 6 hours in 60 days. No single outage has been more than 2 hours. Speeds are continuing to average 6 to 8 mbps down and 1 to 2 mbps up. I've measured a peak download speed of 13 mbps. I'm having the heaviest month of usage so far, but still have not used half of my 25 gigs, and this after downloading most of the large adobe apps. I am not foolish enough to think that streaming movies is a viable plan with satellite internet. Overall, I would give the same scores as my initial review.

Update 8-1-2014: I guess I'm lucky. I see a lot of extremely negative reviews, but I'm still getting decent speeds from about 5 to 20 megs down, with 9 being typical. The equipment has worked flawlessly and no service calls have been required. If you can accept the limits inherent to sat internet, and your experience is like mine, you will be reasonably happy with Exede. I'm happy I haven't had the negative experience of some of the most unhappy reviewers here. My use is limited to web browsing, updating & installing my large Adobe apps, downloading the occasional movie (between 12 and 5 am) via iTunes for watching the next day, uploading large images to my Adobe folder, and buying a bit of music now and then. Anyone will be very unhappy and probably angry if they expect to use it like cable internet, and that seems to be the cause of at least some of the bad reviews.

I forgot to mention that my upload speeds are a very consistent 3 megs, and the latency is generally about 800 to 900 ms. I experience slower download speeds of 500k to 1.5 megs on occasion, but so far this has been only about once every 45 days during prime hours - I'd be very unhappy if this got worse.

Comments:

barb

@184.61.215.x

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Run, don't walk, away from this company! They are incompetent crooks & after reading all these reviews I see that they somehow get away with pulling the same scam, over & over. Like many others, when our contract was up and we could (hooray!) cancel our service, they were to send us a box to return the equipment. Equipment was sent back the very next day but they charged my credit card $316 for non-returned equipment! When I called (took 4 different phone calls), they admitted the equipment was received - just never got "logged in" at their dock - how is this MY FAULT??? Like others, they said my refund would take 12-14 days. In the meantime, this was my debit account and it caused bounced check fees with my bank. They assured me they would refund those charges - just fax a copy of our bank statement (account number blacked out), showing the charges. Well, this was on 6/17 and here it is 8/25 and I still have not received my refund - this is after faxing the bank statement 3 different times.... It is almost worth looking into hiring a lawyer - a company should not be able to continue in business like this.

Review by tmblumen See Profile

• Location: Fenton,Genesee,MI
Bad "Returned Equipment and Charged $318 20 days after UPS delivered"

We used WildBlue for 2 years not great service so we cancelled. They tried to charge me a cancellation fee which they supposedly waved (even though I cancelled after 2 years not sure how they explain that) but I was still billed $30 which I just let go it is $30 right. Then I see that late on Saturday, July 12th they charged me $318! We had carefully packaged up the requested materials to return and sent them via the provided UPS box so how could this be? I called customer service on July 15th and the agent checked into it and determined yes the materials were received at the warehouse. I ask when and he tells me on June 25th. So now I am confused how could you charge me for unreturned materials when you received them 18 days ago? The Agent tells me that well yes they received them but they need to confirm that the right material are in the box. “How long should that take” I ask and he says well I will put in a ticket and then you, that is me the customer, should call back in 48 to 72 hours. How is any of this ok? I suggest that maybe they could escalate this and call me back within 24 hours and he says no they really can't do that because that is not how the ticket system works. Then I ask for a supervisor and he says they can't help you any more than I can. We go back and forth and finally I very firmly explain that I wasn't an angry customer but now I am and I want to talk to a supervisor. He says okay then comes back and advises that he is going to process the claim but if they find out that the right stuff isn't in the box they will cancel it. Are you kidding me? It is also supposed to take 7-10 days to refund money that frankly they stole from me. I work is customer care and I am admittedly critical of service but this is beyond acceptable and likely not legal. I am not the first or last customer that this has happened to and based on what I have seen on-line I won't be the last. I am going to file a BBB claim which I have never done before but can’t in good conscious not report this kind of business practice.

Comments:

Review by SandDog See Profile

• Location: Sandpoint,Bonner,ID
Bad "No service, no accountablility"
Overall "DON"T GO WITH WILD BLUE"

We've had Wild Blue since 2008 and it hasn't been great but it worked. Two year commitment forced us to keep them when we moved after first year. Now on June 10, 2014 our internet went down and we called for support. First tech had us do all the normal procedures, reset modem and router still no internet. Told us to go buy new Ethernet cable, we did, still no internet. Next day new tech said it was the dish out of alignment and we would need a technician to come help but first appointment was June 23rd almost two weeks wait. On June 23rd we got a call from subcontractor, First Class something or other, wouldn't be out that day. Had to call us later that day to schedule sometime between Thursday the 26th and Sunday the 29th. Company didn't call back that day so I called the next day, Tuesday and was told they would call me Wednesday. They had a tech making his way from Nebraska and they were working on schedule/route. No call on Wednesday still. Called Wild Blue again Wednesday and was told some supervisor would call within an hour. No call back all day. No one does what they say or say what they mean. I asked what a new customer wait would be like and they couldn't answer. If you need reliable service, any customer service don't get Wild Blue.

Comments:

none5498

@12.218.52.x

unfair disclosure billing

I recently called WildBlue to cancel my account May 2014. I was billed for the entire $79.95 for awful, slow service for the next month, through June 2014. Charging me for almost an entire month of services, when my account was cancelled. This was not disclosed to me when I called to cancel. After calling their customer service # and 4 supervisors later, they came back with the same answer. Keep in mind I was a customer for over 8 years and always paid my bill on time. This is completely unacceptable. I will be disputing my charges with my credit card. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company.

Review by spacemonkies See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceburg,Lawrence,TN
Good "Have service"
Bad "so slow its not worth it"
Mail,DNS,News:

I live where satellite internet is my only option, and moving from a city I could get 30Mps unlimited for about $50 a month.... I'm tremendously disappointed with exceed. I work from home so am on the 15G a month plan and thats not enough.... and I dont watch videos or download/upload files.

They claim up to 12Mps, which means they can give you 1Mps and they're still honoring the claim... I was told by the installer that I actually would get about 8. I never have seen that value, 4Mps is the very highest I've seen doing a speedtest and my normal speed is around 2Mps. They need to advertise up to 5Mps to be more factual. Its ridiculous to pay this much money a month for such a crappy speed, and on top of that a cap on data. My contract is up at the end of the summer and I think I'd be better off going back to the phone company using slow service.... even the phone line gets me faster than excede with no caps and not paying $80/month.

Comments:

Review by Jess12893 See Profile

• Location: East Millsboro,Fayette,PA
Good "NOTHING!"
Bad "Horrible to Deal with!"

We ordered this internet last January, the installing process was very easy and they was friendly. But We get charged 80.00$ Every Month to be put on an allowance for them to tell you when you can use your internet or not . When half the time the internet just shuts off out of no where. Our Netflix doesn't work because their internet does not support it, It's to slow to update our iPad. To get out of their Money Hungry contract that they have you have to pay 15$ for every month, you have left in the contract. And the Customer Service is the Worst because all they say is we can't do nothing for you! If you would like to Email me Wild Blue my emails july_7172009@yahoo.com!

Comments:

Review by W5JGV See Profile

• Location: Natchitoches,Natchitoches,LA
Good "Fast downloads, fair upload, 95+% uptime. (Not bad for satellite.)"
Bad "Poor latency, uneven email server (I don't use it, so no problem.)"
Overall "It works for me and the way I use the internet. Satisfied customer."
Mail,DNS,News:

We're enjoying backwoods living a few miles from Natchitoches, Lousiana, with no cable or DSL available, and only 21k dialup at best. Our requirements are multiple computer internet usage, email, web browsing, FTP for maintaining a half-dozen web sites, uploading my own copyrighted video, photos and data files.

I researched the various satellite internet offerings, and WildBlue appeared to be about the best for me. My wife and I opted for the PRO Pack. I read the TOS and fine print, and talked at length with the installation company. They informed me of all the changes WildBlue was making, so I was aware of what and what not to expect from the service. My local dealer is Totally Unwired of Natchitoches (DSI).

The installation was accomplished on the appointed date, in less than two hours, by a competent technician. I helped him with the install (I have worked with satellite systems for more than 30 years) but he really did know what to do and why it should be done that way. The system was low roof mounted, as that was in a well-protected area, well below the height of anything else around to reduce the possibility of a direct lightning strike. The cable run would be short to the modem, but I had him install about 50 extra feet of cable so I could move the modem as needed. He properly grounded the TRIA, coax cable ground block, and the dish. I made sure the roof mounting was secure and weather sealed, and later double-checked all mounting and disk hardware. It was all properly tightened. The RF connectors were weatherproof, and correctly installed and crimped on to the cables and properly tightened.

The commissioning and system configuration was fast, and soon I was on the web. I run a Netgear FVS-338 firewall router between the modem and my computers. I also have a dialup modem attached to the router for fallback when the satellite WAN is unavailable.

How does it work? OK, for the most part. If you have never used a two-way satellite link, you must realize that it requires time for the signal to travel up and down the path to the satellite. This happens for both the requests that your computer makes for data, and for the data itself to get back to you. This increases the latency of the system.

I was aware of the traffic shaping that WildBlue was implementing before I signed up, so I was not surprised when the latency increased considerably not too long after my system was installed. The long latency (over 2 seconds, in some cases) makes game playing, VPN and VOIP virtually unusable. It also causes long lags in loading https web pages. The latency is probably the biggest gripe most folks seem to have about WildBlue.

FAP - The Fair Access policy is reasonable for satellite systems, IMO. I haven't come close to hitting it, because I watch my usage carefully.

Downloads and uploads are as fast as advertised. MY FTP programs work fine, as well as email and web browsing. WildBlue's email server seems to have problems, and often seems to have problems. However, I learned a long time ago not to depend on your ISP's email service. I maintain all my email addresses on my own web server; that way I never have to change them when I get a new ISP.

The reliability of the service has been fairly good so far. Heavy storms will block the signal, but this usually does not last for a long time. This in unavoidable with a KU-band system, even with a bigger dish than WildBlue uses.

Some folks have had TRIA equipment failures for various reasons. So did I, after almost 9 month of service. The replacement of the TRIA required about two weeks, due to a shortage of new units.

During that time, I used the fallback mode of my router and the dialup service from Wildblue that is part of the PRO Pack. About two days into the failure, I realized that I was going to burn through the free dialup available to me with my package in about another day, then it was going to cost money! To avoid this, I signed up with another dialup access provider, 550access.com. The small cost of their service gives me more than enough dialup backup in the event of another service failure. If the WildBlue system gets bogged down - as happens some evenings - the router switches to dialup automatically for me.

Tech support was good the few times I had to use it. I didn't yell at the CSR, and they were polite and helpful.

Connection reliability is pretty good, except for the long latency and occasional slowdowns in the high usage periods in the evenings.

The monthly bill has been correct every month, exactly what the contract said it would be, and not a penny more.

In summary, I'll say that for us, it works out OK.

---UPDATE - 13 DEC 2009---

Well, the system is still running about as it did when it was installed. Only two problems have happened since the installation. The TRIA on the disk died and had to be replaced, and yes, it did cost me about $125 for a replacement. It took only about four days after my service call for the installer to show up and replace it. The whole process took about 30 minutes, and he rechecked the dish alignment in the process.

About 8 months after that, signals started to become very poor and erratic, with my connection dropping out for long periods of time. I determined that somehow the dish had gone out of alignment, and that the flexible plastic elevation alignment screw was bent out of shape. Strangely enough, all the mounting clamp nuts were firmly tightened, and I could not move the dish by hand.

I loosened the clamp screws and let the plastic screw spring back into position, then retightened the clamp screws, and all was good once again. I have no idea how things got out of position in the first place...

Speeds have been as advertised, with some occasional "prime time" slowdowns, and occasional system resets - apparently from the uplink end. Billing has been accurate, and the FAP monitor seems to be reasonably accurate.

So, then upshot is that I am happy with the service for what it is and what I use it for. Of course, If I had the option for a better quality and speed of service, I would take it, since that would allow me to do much more in the internet.

On a other note, lately I have been reading quite a few really nasty reviews from folks who seem to have some real problems with Wildblue. Perhaps they do, but it seems to me that most of these are cases where the reviewer either did not realize what they were going to get for their money, or they has unrealistic expectations about satellite internet service.

Now that's not to say that they may have been misinformed or flat-out lied to by the sales people or others when they signed up, but a quick read-through of reports on the forums here would have given them a pretty good idea of what to expect. I sometimes wonder if these reviewers even took the time to look into what they were buying. I wonder if these folks purchase a new car with the same amount of thought.

Yes it's expensive, yes it's slow, yes the traffic shaping is a pain in the rear, and yes the FAP is a constant worry. BUT - if you are like me, and have only poor dialup to fall back on, then Wildblue is workable. Of course I would like cable, DSL, or FIOS, but I'll be long dead and gone before that happens out where I live. And I like it enough out here so that I'll gladly suffer satellite internet before I'd move elsewhere just to get faster speeds.

---UPDATE - 28 JAN 2014---

Sometimes I wonder if I am on the same satellite internet service as the folks who complain bitterly about WildBlue. My system and internet service just keeps on working. I am still on the older legacy service, and since my last review update four years ago, everything has been working just fine. No hardware problems at all, and very few weather related service outages. So I have no complaints.

Of course, the system still has the fairly low data allowance and excessively long ping times that everyone complains about. The data caps are managed here by attacking the problem on several fronts. With three people using the system at all hours, plus three computers constantly uploading weather and amateur radio data to various web sites, email, YouTube and all the other things we do, I aggressively manage inbound and outbound data streams by the use of simple monitoring software on the computers, and a little common sense. The combination of a hardware firewall/router combination, software firewalls, up to date AV and anti-malware software on the computers (14 at last count) keeps junk traffic and unwanted data usage down to a minimum.

The biggest annoyance IMO is the very long ping times of the WildBlue system. This results in HTTPS pages (which are becoming more and more common on many web sites) requiring painfully long tines to load. Simple tasks such as editing a PayPal saved button are almost impossible to do without being timed out. Purchasing a mailing label on the the USPS web site takes almost 10 minutes due to the slow response of the WildBlue system and the HTTPS web pages. My slow 14.4K dialup IS faster than WildBlue in this case! And don't even think about watching an uninterrupted YouTube video. I have given up on that! Instead, I download the entire video and then watch it at a later time.

So, at this point, I can still say that I am still satisfied with the WildBlue service I am receiving. Yes, I wish it did not have the rather low data caps it has, nor the long ping times that make HTTPS pages like watching paint dry, but the system does what I was told it would do when I signed up. BTW, I read ALL the fine print and contacts BEFORE I signed on with WildBlue, so I knew what the system could and could not do. Did you?

Based on the excellent connectivity since my last update, I am raising my score for connection reliability by one notch; all other scores stay the same.

To the gang at WildBlue - thanks!

Ralph W5JGV

member for 14.1 years, 5079 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Exede Josh

join:2013-11-11
United State

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer of WildBlue. I really enjoy reading about the positive experiences for our customers and know that of the 600,000+ customers we have that most have experiences like yours. If there is anything you ever need from us, you can email me at exedelistens@viasat.com. Thanks.

Review by ununhappy See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "very very basic internet is all it is good for"
Bad "horrible, solely a gimmick for the $300-plus cancellation"
Overall "worst company ever, hope they get what's coming in class-action"
Mail,DNS,News:

This review concerns EXEDE and WILDBLUE satellite internet service. DO NOT get this service!!! Read these reviews and find another way to get internet service. ANY other way. As a family, we go on social-network sites and watch a few music videos on Youtube, and that is it. I read the reviews and saw negative comments, but considering our usage to be less than what I would consider typical, we thought we would give it a go. BAD, BAD move! We exceeded our data usage allotment immediately, within a few days. 'EXEDE'-- it is a clever name, because customers are sure to quickly EXCEED their data ration. As with really horrible companies, they do not care to lose business, they are thriving from the cancellation fees. BUT I hope this review will dissuade many people from using this rotten company. We will be contacting the better business bureaus, attorneys general, & complaining all the way to the FCC . . . although we all know as the people of this country, the governing bodies could give a crap less about the consent of the governed anymore, they'd rather cater to these despicable businesses and their dishonorable practices. This review and the many others here are a sucking chest-wound, EXEDE & WILDBLUE, word will spread and the public will ceased to be duped. Whatever you change your name to, you will be discovered. Instead of offering a quality product to be proud of, you are choosing these policies: I my opinion, they are misleading, duplicitous, chicanery, charlatanism! Got my two cents in, though I would call it stealing, how you take over $300 for cancellation fees when folks see through you.

Comments:
Millenium

join:2013-10-30

A tip

A company requiring you to commit to service, as opposed to service at will, is an immediate red flag.
grabacon9

join:2013-08-21

No Class Action Allowed....

No Class Action is allowed thanks to the terms of service. You can only sue them as one person.
webersc

join:2014-02-02

Exede/wild blue

I can't agree more with the reviews. Signed up as it was bundled with Direct TV, assured that Exede would work by sales rep. Specifically asked about VPN "it's fine". Got service, exceeded data limit wihout warning (had no idea what had happened). Finally figured it out, bought more data, and then exceeded data limit emailing 2 Excel spread sheets!!! Asked how this was possible, and they would not justify. 300 just to get rid of the mess. False advertising and very misrepresented, plus tech support had long waits, couldn't answer basic questions, and frequently disconnected. This was really worthless, got Comcast yesterday. Terrible business model, and a real black eye for Direct TV as well
CTYankee

join:2014-01-12

Re: Exede/wild blue

I agree - stay away from this company!! They lie about wireless and have terrible installers. I paid the cancellation fee and am done with them. But I will warn everyone I can to stay away from this so-called company. They won't be in service long with the business model they are using.
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

My Sister got Exceed

The only thing she could do with it was to check her email, and hope that nobody sent any large attachments, That's about all her previous dial-up connection was good for. Exceed is faster than dial-up and it doesn't tie up her phone line, that's about the only good things I can say about it.