WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by whysoslow See Profile

• Location: Lapeer,Lapeer,MI
Overall "Not want i hoped for in a service"
Mail,DNS,News:

Do to the almost of people in our locating the service is full and causing very slow speeds. Consider some other service before contacting WB. Been with them for 5 years now and service and speeds have been getting bad! Looking right now on a different service..

Comments:

Review by .

Have had Wildblue for about 3 months....ummmm better than Nothing...but not much. It is so slow. The only game I play is Cityville and it won't even load half of the pages. I thought about upgrading but have heard that it doesn't help. Any suggestions how to make my computer run faster? I need help. I live in Newport, WA a bit out of town, we don't have a lot of options.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by whysoslow See Profile

• Location: Lapeer,Lapeer,MI
Good "Much Better Than Dialup"
Bad "Speeds during Peek Times"
Overall "If you have nothing else other than Dial Up"
Mail,DNS,News:

In a rual area with only dial up, No DSL, Cable or good cell tower around. Had service over 5 years now and all in all happy, Looking forward to the new satellite launch this summer. Hope to see improvement. (Much better than the 24.4kbps dial up i had)

But make sure to get a good installer and watch him or her.....

• Location: Leverett,Franklin,MA

I had to intervene for my daughter who signed up for Wild Blue internet
service yet she was not told that for $49.95 per month she would only be
able to upload ONE 2.3 megabyte picture per month!!. That's one picture
for $50, then the service shuts off! We tried to cancel the service but
the person we spoke to, "Marcus", refused to cooperate and refused to
give me his supervisor's name because I was recording the call. He said
it was OK for them to record the call (as they announce at the beginning
of the telephone call) but I could not record them!! Beware of this
company. If it isn't worth $50 for you to send just one 2.3 meg picture
or file, then look to other suppliers.

(review was emailed from domain e2m.org)

Comments:

Review by jm8 See Profile

• Location: Graceville,Jackson,FL
Good "Speeds pretty good"
Bad "TERRIBLE LATENCY.. 1400MS OR HIGHER!!!"
Overall "I would NOT recommend WB to anyone at this point!!"

12-22-10

WildBlue continues to have HORRIBLE latency. I would NOT recommend WB to anyone at this point!!

Pinging google.com [74.125.95.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 74.125.95.147:
Minimum = 320ms, Maximum = 1582ms, Average = 654ms

******************************************************

2-25-09

Speeds have been good, BUT....
My latency is TERRIBLE!!
I now average 1100ms or higher. Below are a few samples of pings and speeds. Every time I call WB they just blow me off. Their answer is "there is latency associated with satellite"... Like no kidding! My issue is that latency has doubled from when I 1st got the service.
I have to use remote desktop applications alot for my work, and the latency makes it unbearable. Almost like being on dialup.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.100] with 32 bytes of data:

1584/125
1543/95

************************************************************

3/24/2006

Speeds are still good as promised.

I had an ongoing issue for about 3 months. Problem was with the mobo in my modem. It had some short in it or something, if you moved the modem it would lose power. Normally this wasn't an issue as you rarely have to move the modem. It only became an issue when my beam would go down. I would then have to power cycle my modem and router. Once I determined that the issue was not on my end I would call WB support. They would report that the beam is down. I would say ok, but I have a problem with my modem, which loses power. Their response would always be "we can't escalate because its a known beam issue". Which under normal circumstances would be fine, but I knew this was a problem with the modem. Usually I didn't push it with them, and just went along.

I did get the call escalated 3 times. The first time it got escalated, 2 days later one of their support guys called me and canceled the call to my local NRTC. He explained that it was a beam issue, so they wouldn't be replacing the modem. I tried explaining that I DID have a modem issue however. But he wasn't listening. The second, they local guy came out and replaced the Tria. I told him that the problem was with the modem. He said we'll see what happens with this new tria. The third time I got the call escalated and finally had the modem replaced. This was just this week. The escalation took place like 3 weeks ago, but I had to leave town for work.

Now I can move the modem without it losing power.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 1062 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Download Speed is:: 130 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (main)
Test Time:: 2006/03/24 - 9:40pm
Bottom Line:: 19X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 7.88 sec
Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 23.078 seconds to complete
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 88.94 % of your hosts average (wildblue.net)
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-OMQ2JTCYG

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 140 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 17 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (main)
Test Time:: 2006/03/24 - 9:44pm
Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 60.24 sec
Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 87.84 seconds to complete
Diagnosis: Looks Great : 16.67 % faster than the average for host (wildblue.net)
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-6GUBZ1K45

Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=749ms TTL=236
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=707ms TTL=236

=====================================================
9/20/05
I had my WB installed on 9-1-05. The installer was late by 2 hours because they got held up at the previous install, it wasn't a big deal but a call from them would have been nice. I did call the installers office, they were quick to tell me that he was delayed.

Once on site they were pretty quick to run the cable and setup the dish. Total on site time was no more than 1:15.

Speed have been as promised, 1mb/200k.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 1030 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Download Speed is:: 126 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Tue Sep 20 2005 11:27:47 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.13 sec
Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 97.35 % of your hosts average (210.140)
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-2VWMNYRD5

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 184 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 22 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Tue Sep 20 2005 11:29:40 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 46.55 sec
Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (210.140)
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-CQZAN6JYH

Pings Have been as expected.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>ping -n 10 yahoo.com

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=626ms TTL=46
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=622ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 66.94.234.13:
Minimum = 613ms, Maximum = 993ms, Average = 672ms

Currently I am sharing my connection thru a Linksys wireless router with total of three pcs.

member for 11.2 years, 1977 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by AA1ZQ See Profile

• Location: East Fairfield,Franklin,VT
Good "Solid connection, very rare loss due to weather"
Bad "FAP, B/W limits not keeping pace with todays Internet Usage patterns"
Overall "If your only choice is Satelite service, WB is a reasonably good choice"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been with WB for years (5+?), Hughes before that. Hughes currently has a faster speed package, and it appears some government assistance for h/w costs, etc. But like most, I suspect marketing. The speed obtained is all relative to traffic on the link. With the imminent launch of a new ViaSat satellite, it should boost WB service, enough to offload congestion and allow them to also offer some new packages in 2011.

I will say, if you hit the FAP your in bad shape potentially, dialup will service you better when this occurs. I routinely monitor my usage, and throttle as required/plan etc. I work from home and I am very tech savvy and have no issues going deep when needed, but I caution folks that are general consumers, WB (any sat provider) requires investment in knowing how best to use and monitor their service. Only a few basics, but worth learning and then you should be fine. If I had any suggestions for improvement regards FAP, it would be to adopt a period of no tracking during say 2AM to 4AM or something where I could schedule major downloads and better manage my allocation. I believe Hughes has this provision.

In 5 years, I have only hit the FAP once, just recently in fact. The problem was on my end, a problem with my AT&T network dialer/client for work, it had a problem with network updates (would get 20-30% of the 43Meg update, then fail, then restart) which all happens in the background, no errors displayed unless you go start looking at logs and are watching the network traffic, etc. I was watching the FAP monitor which is 4-24 hours behind real time and it was climbing. By the time I figured out the problem I was at 104% and the FAP kicked in.

I called WB, not to complain, as clearly the problem was on my end, but to see what if any options might exist as I have a heavy dependency on the link. I was happily surprised that a one time FAP removal option existed (they kick you back to 40%) that in all the years I had never needed to take advantage of. The tech was super, worked with me to look at possible causes, and then stayed on the line until the FAP flag was confirmed gone. My modem picked up the change in about 20 minutes and all went back to normal.

While I know other experiences are shown in the forums, any service can have its bad days, poor service, L1 folks that are convinced a reboot will fix anything, etc. But on the whole, I am satisfied with service and will remain.

That said if DSL or Cable should ever come out to where I am (not in my lifetime I think) I would opt for that service as my work would benefit from lower latency and higher throughput, but I remain satisfied at present with WB.

For the stats: I have the PRO PLAN (1.5Mb down, 256kb up) $80/month. The install was a long time back, but no issues with it, and obviously after all these years well done, nothing has needed to be touched. The equipment is the standard ViaSat Surf cable modem.

Steve in Rural VT (go to the end of the earth, take a left, were just up the hill

Comments:

Review by EarthSignal See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Des Moines,IA
Good "Download speeds are as advertised 75% of the time"
Bad "Upload speeds only 60% of advertised speed most of the time"
Overall "Overall good service since 2006"
Mail,DNS,News:

Wildblue is intended as an alternative to dial up, nothing else.
It is not recommended for:
1. Downloading movies
2. Online Gaming
3. Connecting to a VPN

After having Direcway from 2002 to 2005 this is a dream. The speeds are as advertised for the Select Pak. I called and five days later it was installed and working. The installer knew his job and did it promptly. Two and half hours after he arrived it was up and running, including a wireless router install. The administrative page is easy to use and offers many features. Last two days had freezing rain and snow and no loss of connection or slow down. The install was free through the local NRTC and the installer used my existing pole mount. Thumbs up to Wildblue, NRTC, the local coop and the installer.

Nov. 2006 the pings and latency increased after they made some changes, pings are up from around 600 to 1100. See attachment for pings prior to change.

December 2010 the system is still running good but WildBlue is not the star it once was. Only one problem since 2006 and it was fixed within 24 hours. After the tech checked the system from end to end it was determined the modem was failing on the upload side. Replaced the modem no charge for the modem or service call. I have installed dd-wrt on my Linksys router to be able to keep track of usage. This software allows one to keep track of usage of all computers on a network and is keeps up to date totals without the need to go to the WB usage page.

member for 12.2 years, 4470 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by egglebl See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Bad "Run From Wild Blue"
Mail,DNS,News:

Weather is a big factor in performance. In the NorthEast the weather is often cloudy at least. Sat service is not compatible. I work for IT and, as a matter of fact, I supervise an IT dept. My estimate is, Wild Blue service was available at only 50% of the time. The hardware (dish) has a plastic adjustment screw that does not hold up in the wind. It acutally bows and the dish has to be adjusted periodically because of the cheap materials.

FAP is really frustrating. All the negative things you may have read about this penalty are true.

Customer service is non-existent.

Finally, wireless broadband has come to our area. I have switched to it for far lower price and far greater speeds and reliability. Great service.

You won't believe this, but in order to cancel Wild Blue they require you to return their hardware and they CHARGE YOU $15 to cancel.

Wild Blue truely is "Out in Space". If you are into self tourture you may want to try them out. I recommend you run from this option. It's not worth the pain.

member for 4 years, 0 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by .

• Location: Bellevue,King,WA
Good "1 overworked good tech"
Bad "non delivery of package - for more than 3 months, bad tech support"
Overall "Non delivery of package"

Seanet sucks!

They offer their 3 way bundles without testing the lines out. The paying customers are the guinea pigs. The broadband, and especially the phone line do not work. The VOIP technology was like 8 (?) years ago when VOIP first made its appearance. The connection keeps getting broken, that their techs asked you to talk to them with your cell phones.

They say the package will be up and running in 2 weeks. It took 3 months to install, and it is still no working right.

They promised to supply the equipments, then they changed it to loaning you the equipment (written in the new contract), then they changed it to 'you have an equipment that [will] works with the service, so use your equipment'.

You call for tech support, and most of the tech give you no service or hangs up on you. They pass you on to somebody else, and end up with no support still. They put you on hold forever - on your cell phone. When you call back, no answer. The tech don't know what their marketing are offering and you have to show them the ads. Seems that they don't have any process, adequate training and systems.

You want to get some service from the higher up, and they tell you they are not allowed to disclose any phone numbers or names. It is a black hole of a company that you are dealing with. You don't know who is running or owning the company that you are signing a contract with.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by hartbeatmr See Profile

• Location: Valley Falls,Rensselaer,NY
Good "With one small mod to dish and i am almost never with out service"
Bad "normal things, high ping, high price vs cable / dsl"
Overall "1,000x better than dailup and 100x better than hughs ever tought of being"
Mail,DNS,News:

OK to start of with I am in the IT field I manage an office that repairs servers, printers pc’s etc plus I also have my own work that I do nights and weekends. Now to start of with I was on dial up many years ago and thank god that is in the past.

After that I got Hughes set up DW6000 and there service / equipment are the worst and there FAP really sucks. When I started with Hughes it cost me 700$ and I had there pro package that was 1.5 meg for 100$ a month and it was all down hill from there. I was FAP'd more times than I can remember. There set up was predictive if the server seen that I was downloading say 100 or so megs an hour but the file I needed was 175 meg file the server did an average for 4 hours and at that rate and it would fap me but even knowing that after that 175 meg was all I needed but it figured I was gong to go over well that just sucked. Plus if I we got just a mist of rain we had no service and god forbid if we got a snow storm. So one day after my contract was over I removed the hughes system.

Then I was also able to get wireless from a smaller company called Hudson valley wireless and for the most part it was not bad we had no contract no fap limits and for 60$ a month that was not bad at all until they would make changes and not tell anyone until you tried to get online and had no internet and then I would call them and they would say we had to kill your connection because once because of my sons xbox live account because that used the peer to peer port “really MS put xbox live on a PTP port”. Then if I was repairing a computer that say had a virus if the pc had say limewire etc he would kill me again. Well needless to say I took out that equipment and I gave that back to HVW.

Then I got wild blue installed cost 200$, again I got the pro package 1.5 meg that give me 15 gigs down and like 5 gigs up for 100$ a month and they use a real 30 day rolling period so if you use 100 megs today then next month on the same day it falls off and for some one like me it just makes more since for a couple of days I my download 100’s of megs a day and then I may not do that again for a couple of days. But I would run into a issue during a light ran or snow it would kill my service so I thought here we go again but I found a fix using a pepsi / coke plastic bottle and a piece of electrical tape. I real and honestly thought the guy was full of it how can 15 min and a plastic bottle fix my issue. Well I ALMOST NEVER lose my connection and the reliability is about 95-98%.

Well to sum this up until I move and get RR this is the best being in a rural / mountain area. But if anyone would like to use the fix just email me Mike hartbeatmwr@yahoo.com