WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by hoblory

• Location: Folsom,Saint Tammany,LA
Good "there is no good points"
Bad "the service was horrible from day one"
Overall "do not waist your money on this junk"
Mail,DNS,News:

When your service does not work like they claim, and you cancel, they will keep your money. I have sat. tv and on cloudy days I would have tv but no wildblue internet. It does not have to be very bad weather as they claim. My speed, when I did have service, was no faster than dial up, as they claim. On the back of Jason folse (jason@aerfectsatellite.com) wild blue buisness card reads, up to 30 times faster than dial up, reaches virtually everywhere w/a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, constantly connected. None of this was true in my case I ordered the service and on 11-06-09 they took $99.95 from my account and then on 11-16-09 they took $195.56 from my account. I canceled there junk before a 30 day period and on 12-21-09 they put back $18.32, keeping $277.19 of my money. I was totaly dissatisfied with every aspect of thier service. Olin Lory

(review was emailed from domain aol.com)

Comments:

Review by jrkauffm See Profile

• Location: Bennett,Cedar,IA
Good "I'm two miles too far for DSL so this is the only option"
Bad "Speed, cost, and reliability. You don't get what you pay for"
Overall "Wait for DSL - don't spend the money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Wildblue was the only broadband option for where I live. I started with the basic package not wanting to buy more than what I needed. I checked the speed it averaged around 250 down and 50 up - not good, but better that dial-up or so I thought. I noticed about a year later my speed dropped to a snails pace - seems that I got FAP'ed due to excessive use. I thought that was odd since the usage on my network hadn't changed. I don't down load movies or music, so I checked my network. I didn't find anything wrong so I changed out the router. After I got FAP'ed three times and changed out the router again, I decided to upgrade to the Pro package. They claimed up to 1.5M down a more bandwidth. The bandwidth is fine now - the speed is bad. I've never gotten better than 950 and that's in the morning before 8am. The technician is coming out this Thursday, if they can't fix it I'm going back to dial-up

• Location: San Antonio,Socorro,NM
Bad "slower than advertised"
Overall "better than nothing"

none
7500 mbs or bottom of offered
order good----istallation -I got it.- Installer was hard to understand.
ViaSat Surfbeam I.T.E. Model SM2000 compared to other equipment I'v seen mine looks used.

I don't think I have been above above 50% but I have been slower than I shwuld be.

(review was emailed from domain wildblue.net)

• Location: Ashland City,Cheatham,TN
Good "none"
Bad "they lie cheat and steal"
Overall "DONT DO IT"
Mail,DNS,News:

worst service I have ever seen from any ISP , blatant scammers , installers are enough to frighten even this tough old bird

(review was emailed from domain charter.net)

• Location: Kokomo,Howard,IN
Good "I have something called inernet"
Bad "an amish buggy is faster"
Overall "run from satelite"
Mail,DNS,News:

My wife and I were moving out of town to a wonderful new house. Problem no cable internet avaible. Solutions web search what was avaible. Satelite or dial up. So after too many calls and sales people we decided on (WB). We got the most expensive alleged fastest connection possible. After asking pointed questions specifically about VENT/WOW, and being told yes they could be used no issue's... WoW my hunter now only does 2.5k dps(down from 5k), my mage has been thrown out of raids, casting takes so long. Vent is a headache at best, forget about going to WinterGrasp, lost too many tokens getting DC'd right before the end win/lose. Only advice can can give, is watch to were you move too a few miles can mean everything. All I can do now is tell all my friends, family, co-workers, social networks, AVOID satelite internet at all costs, but only choice over no choice you decide. Contracts, captive market, they wont last forever, call your cable/dsl provides ask/beg/complain. Maybe you'll get some luck out of a politician (if you let them know), to help speed up the possiblity of getting out/away from the Satelite trap.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by Joey O See Profile

• Location: Susanville,Lassen,CA
Good "Excellent Pre-sale discloseure"
Bad "Don't Know that I can think of one"
Overall "Excellent Company"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been using WildBlue Satellite Internet service for over two-years and have been extremely happy. This service is what it is . . . a great alternative to dial-up. I called several companies that all sold WildBlue and I found the best company to be Got SKY Unlimited, I think the web site is www.GotSky.com. There sales staff where extremely knowledgable and told me everything I needed upfront, where others did not talk about the limits on up-load and down-load. They put me into a package that really worked well for my family. They also told me about Commercial WildBlue service; if my family exceeded our residential usage limits, we could convert our account to Commercial to get the higher limited.

I feel sorry for some of the folks that have had the excellent experience we have had. I believe that they were not given all the information they needed to make a good buying decision. The folks at Got SKY have been wonderful.

Comments:

Review by sblaze See Profile

• Location: Cochran,Bleckley,GA
Good "Speed is acceptable but certainly not compairable to DSL or CABLE (I have the fastest package PRO)"
Bad "NO Customer Appreciation, NEVER innovates, VERY Pricey, VERY Restrictive"
Overall "As long as you give them a lot money they will give you almost no service and little to no change."
Mail,DNS,News:

WildBlue is at best a medicore soloution to the no bandwith boondocks blues. I have been a customer of WB for three years. Trust me with what I say here. In those three long years they have charged me 80$ a month every month for there "Pro" package. For 80$ a month I get told that I can only use 17GB in a 30 day window (aka a "rolling period"). If I am naughty and use more than my 17GBs... they put me in a time out by telling my modem to "STFU you red headed step child!" For those of you who speak Yankee... They tell it to go REALLY REALLY SLOW... and sometimes... don't go at all!

Do you still do the same exact things online that you did 3 years ago? Do you think web pages and aps on those pages are all still the same size as way back then? No..... the internet is an every growing and expanding world. Full of life... music... movies... Oh wait did you just go over your 17GB.... well the internet for you just became "Connection Timed Out," "Server Not Found," and "Waiting for www.whatever.com to connect..." And if being treated like a 7yr old who has asked to stay up 5 more minutes one too many times doesn't thrill you.... WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!!

Wildblue's biggest competetor Hughes Net offers this very innovative thing. I forget what they call it... but basically it boils down to this... you can schedule your computer to do all its updates... Windows... Anti-Virus etc during this period and it WON'T COUNT AGAINST YOUR FAP. Guess what kiddies.... WB requires you to run a Anti-Virus... and if you don't like the crappy one they want to sell you (F-Secure) or want to buy one... like use a free one like AVG.... you have to download it and its updates daily. Guess what it counts against your bandwith (isn't that nice of them!!!!)

Oh yeah and at present writing of this... they don't support Windows 7. Not that that means much considering they don't support anything they sell (LOL) So come on what are you waiting for!!!! SIGN UP TODAY!!! LEARN TO not DO FUN and INTERESTING THINGS ONLINE....or DO THEM AS FAST AS OTHERS YOU KNOW WITH DSL OR CABLE!!!!

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "the first week is the best"
Bad "when it rains, WB does not work and when it does, I pay through the teeth for KBs"
Overall "better off with At & T, Quest anything, read the small print on the contract"
Mail,DNS,News:

better off with At & T, Quest anything, read the small print on the contract.
You don't get what you pay for. I was a WildBlue customer for one year and
thankful to switch. If you don't list my comments, I would not be surprised.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by ChevyFanatic See Profile

• Location: Chapmanville,Logan,WV
Good "Faster than 56k dial-up."
Bad "The latency is horrible, ping times up to 1k and 2k. Connection goes out all the time, even when it is barely cloudy out."
Overall "Only option for broadband currently. It's better than dial-up, and that's it. Changing asap if we ever get DSL or cable here."
Mail,DNS,News:

This is my only choice for broadband internet currently. I can't wait to drop WildBlue, and I will whenever DSL, Cable, or FIOS is available in my area. Even EVDO would be better if I could get it. Honestly, any other source of broadband would be better. For people with no other choice and for those that live in extremely rural areas, it does it's job. Be aware of the high ping times and horrible latency if you plan to play games online with this or try to VPN into work. If you try to play on PSN or Xbox Live with this, you will lag like crazy. Believe me, I know from experience. Something else that is pretty bad is the connection. My connection will go out at the sign of the smallest cloud at times, and at other times it will be storming outside and the connection will be fine. The connection is very sporadic. The WildBlue FAP (Fair Access Policy), better known as a bandwidth limit, is very unappealing too. If you go over your limit for the 30 day rolling total, you will get your speed throttled significantly (sometimes called being fapped). So you constantly have to look at your bandwidth usage meter on the WildBlue homepage to keep track of how much you have used.

Comments:

Review by genemcd See Profile

• Location: Chehalis,Lewis,WA
Good "The service reaches our home (cable & dsl does not)."
Bad "Overpriced, unrealistic FAP, latency, slower than advertised."
Overall "Use only as a last resort."
Mail,DNS,News:

We have been with WildBlue for three years now. We tried HughesNet before WildBlue and found them to be one of the most exasperating companies that I have ever dealt with (no, I am not hard to please!). WildBlue is a little bit better on the customer service aspect and their equipment is pretty dependable. I have to admit that part of my exasperation is due in part to the failure of Qwest and Comcast to provide a hardwire solution to our home despite the fact that I live three miles from the county courthouse - two miles from Interstate 5! The hardwire solution ends half a mile from my home. Therefore, I need to go with the wireless solution. Unfortunately, you have to pay a premium for a satellite solution and the "fair access policy" may have been reasonable when they put their technology into space - but if you have two teenagers and two IT professionals in the home...we all have a serious case of cable envy! We hope that WiMax or LTE will provide us a much better solution as soon as possible.