WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by bearplant See Profile

• Location: Alta,Placer,CA
Good "Great for sufing web"
Bad "Bad for online gaming"
Overall "Good if you aren't going to be doing online gaming"

Sometimes it is really fast. Click and then you are there. Then sometimes it slows down a little, but it is still a bit faster then dial up. You can't play games online, such as counterstrike. It loads flash games way faster than dial up. It loads youtube videos really fast. You click on it and you are watching it.

Comments:

Review by satmanmo See Profile

• Location: Portageville,New Madrid,MO
Good "Awhole lot better than Dial-up"
Bad "weather at the gatways"
Overall "I like it just fine."
Mail,DNS,News:

I checked into Hughs,and WildBlue.I am on the Pro Plan.Speeds are apparently as promised,both up and down.Customer service has been nothing short of courteous,and extremely helpful.I have no complaints whatsoever.

• Location: Batesburg,Lexington,SC
Mail,DNS,News:

S L O W ...SERVICE NO TECH SUPPORT HELP!!......WITHOUT PAYING EXTRA MONEY.....I SPENT 300.00 FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND 150.00 FOR A 3" POLE...CALLED TECH SUPPORT MANY OF TIMES IN THE FIRST 90 DAYS.....IT WILL COST YOU 95.OO MORE DOLLARS.....RIPP OFF...I GET AROUND 90 KBS...AND....40 KBS....CHECKING MY SERVICE AT WWW.TOAST.COM AND WWW.INTERNETFROG.COM....SLOW!!

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by pounce99 See Profile

• Location: Weslaco,Hidalgo,TX
Good "you are online"
Bad "slower than dialup"
Overall "internet on my iphone is way faster"

don't get me started
$90.00 dollars a month
for dial up speeds if your lucky
fair share policy they throttle your download speed (witch sucks to begin with)
if you download anything it seems like
rain means no internet
have to reboot modem all the time for what ever reason
there is nothing high speed about it
it is all lies
i have the fastest or the biggest package they offer for home use
12 gig's a month
and there don't let you use the internet really for anything but surfing
download anything and any speed you had is gone they throttle you
i moved to the RGV in south texas and there is nothing here
i cant get DSL cable nothing
this was only option besides dial up
and after having this for 3 months
i would rather have dial up
at least i could download all i wanted to with no cap on it
i have a clear view of the southern sky
and my dish is on top of a 2 story house
so i should get the best possible everything from wild blue
so it is the service it sucks
i don't suggest it to anyone
but that is my opinion
other people might like this service
i cant wait to move back to real broadband
no online gaming
no streaming music
no streaming movies
no net flix
no downloads
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is horrible

Comments:

Review by micwa See Profile

• Location: Seminary,Covington,MS
Good "Up to advertised speeds, great tech support with an official help forum"
Bad "Not really "bad" as much as necessary -- but the FAP of course. Ping times are sometimes too high, even for satellite."
Overall "It is great for those with no high-speed alternative."

January - September 2009

After having suffered with dial-up and then HughesNet’s (then DirectWay), grueling technical support, outrageous & pricy modem "upgrades" from 2005-08, non-advertised speeds, a 300MB DAILY cap -- WildBlue is a dream come true.

Ordering

I ordered the Select Pack January 2009 through »www.mybluedish.com, which who was VERY nice and helpful. They answered all of my questions honestly and thoroughly. WildBlue was having a special of a $99 installation (compared to ~$300). However I was informed upfront I would have to have a custom installation (which I already knew); which was a pole mount. I told them that I already had a pole [mount] outside left from HughesNet. The sales rep at mybluedish was not sure it would be up to WildBlue standards and would have to ask my local installation company for further information. When I asked them, luckily they said that it could be used, although the cables could not. Consequently, that saved me custom installation charge.

Installation

The installer came out the day after UPS shipped the equipment and begin working immediately. It took about a couple of hours to get it up and running. Before I ordered I had already been on the WB official forums asking what to expect and not expect from the installer, as a precaution. Pro Tip: Don’t believe an installer if he says you must wait 24 hours before you get your advertised speeds. WildBlue has been progressing to wean out these type of "installers" Of course my installer didn’t tell me that and even did a speed test result to prove my speeds before he left, as they SHOULD do. Thank god WildBlue has an official forum with active employees (and experienced volunteers & dealers) that provides support.

Service & Speeds

I have had no problems with the TRIA, modem, billing, or service to date. I’ve always gotten up to advertised speeds and even at times above advertised speeds with the exclusion of the general peak time slow down (late afternoons) – but only by 200kbps. It only "goes out" when there is a thunderstorm in the Line-of-site OR at my satellite’s gateway (mine being WB1 Duluth). Occasional showers (and even in the rare event of a snow fall here) has had no effect.

FAP

Wildblue’s FAP is more for my surfing needs (compared to the competitor), if that makes sense. It’s a 30 day rolling FAP, so what you do today will roll off in the next month (of the same day) if you don't exceed that day's amount. If you do go OVER 100% you are throttled down to ~128kbps and will most likely have no service during peak times (as clearly stated on their webpage and the contract you sign) until you drop below 80%. How long you are throttled depends on your surfing behavior the prior month. It is recommended that you use a 3rd party tool to monitor your usage in addition to checking with the usage page.

But you can't depend on WildBlue's (or whoever you purchased from) statistics, as it's not in real-time. I have noticed some users have purchased a router that records your usage better than programs like NetMeter. I have "hit" FAP 2 times since signing up, while on HughesNet it seemed to be a constant thing. At least WildBlue emails you once you exceed 80% of your usage. I understand why satellite (and WISP) ISPs must have such a policy. Although I do admit the current FAP limits can be dreary, esp. when there are enormous software updates/upgrades, driver updates, Xbox Live/PSN/game updates, movies/TV, online radio, YouTube (lol), etc. More detailed info is at »www.wildblue.com/fap

User Tools

WildBlue has user tools such as the Optimizer and Pulse. The Optimizer just configures your browsers to use the WildBlue proxy. It has its uses, but is known to cause problems with certain sites. The Pulse tool is new and still in beta. More info can be found here: »www.wildblue.com/pulse

Conclusion

Keep in mind that satellite internet is only for those with no alternative and you can NOT jump in expecting DSL/cable-like service. If you do, you will be disappointed and end up being, yet another, trying delusional complainer that plague these forums. If a friend’s only choice was either dial up or satellite, I would totally recommend WildBlue. Which would be icing on the proverbial cake, since Wildblue has a Refer a Friend program.

-Mike

Also, check out »www.wildblueworld.com. WildBlue's OFFICIAL forum.

last updated 9-9-09

Comments:

Review by mrpepsi See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "None"
Bad "It's a horrible, unreliable service."
Overall "It takes my money, and does nothing for me. It works about 40% of the time."
Mail,DNS,News:

Save yourself the trouble, find something else.

Comments:

Review by pheasantDr See Profile

• Location: Hinton,Summers,WV
Good "downloads are great - lots better than Hughes"
Bad "uploads are extremely slow"
Overall "if you're browsing/gaming/movie watching, it's for you."
Mail,DNS,News:

Started with Hughes.. good to start then degraded to awful.
Tried Wldblue biggest load.$85/mo. Install took a while to coordinate due to boondocks location. Reinstalled to eliminate electrical interference.
Got good tech support and good results.
Getting around 1.5mb down but only 75 kb up.
Does my job.

Comments:

Review by btweenhills See Profile

• Location: Naples,Ontario,NY
Good "no longer active"

N/A

Comments:

Review by cindy_black

• Location: Bainbridge Island,Kitsap,WA
Good "Nice customer service people, but not helpful"
Bad "Slow, 24 month contract, huge cancellation fees"
Overall "Bad deal all the way around!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am very disappointed with my Wild Blue experience. I bought the service for my daughter and son-in-law as a gift. I started with the basic service. When I visited them I couldn't believe how slow it was, basically just above dial-up. I decided to upgrade the service to "Pro" which is very expensive for the service you get. When I visited after the upgrade, it was faster, but still very slow compared to DSL. They now have to move due to job and school situations. The service contract is 24 months, which I is personally ridiculous in this day and age when people have to move more frequently. The cancellation fee is $15 times the months left on the contract. When I tried to move the service to the new location, they said it was free. I got transferred to another person who explained I would have to start a brand new contract for 24 months. I couldn't find that piece of information anywhere on their website. I said no way. I wrote and email to them explaining my situation and my frustration with their policies and service, but their response was pathetic and not customer friendly at all. The email looked like some canned response. What happened to treating customers with respect! Needless to say, I do not recommend this company and their services to anyone.

(review was emailed from domain hotmail.com)

Comments:

Review by reedsr12 See Profile

• Location: Terre Haute,Vigo,IN
Good "It provided internet"
Bad "High Ping times, less than advertised speed, no service during bad weather"
Overall "This service is a last resort, and by last resort I mean if there is no copper available for dialup"
Mail,DNS,News:

High startup costs, Ping times that varied up to 2,000ms and speeds that were less than a quarter of the advertised rates. Some of you will say but, but, the contract, and I say no service based business should be able to sell a service and only be obligated to provide so little. They are basically taking no responsibility for the quality of service while locking you in for the various terms.

Luckily my wildblue was subscribed to through Dish and the only saving grace for the whole ordeal is that I complained to the BBB and Dish released me from the wildblue obligation with no termination fees at about 6 months.

Since my original subscription to WB, EVDO has come available in my area and I have moved on to it.

I wish I had stayed with my dialup rather than subscribing to WB.

UPDATE:
Wildblue did attempt to insert a charge into my Dish bill a few months after canceling my account. I called them and told them I hadn't been a WB customer for months and they removed the charge but I am sure they would have accepted the payment and continued charging it if I wouldn't have caught it.