WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by jamespangborn

• Location: Addy,Stevens,WA
Good "None"
Bad "WildBlue is a crooked company."
Overall "DO NOT buy WildBlue Service"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had WildBlue service for a little less than a year and it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had dealing with any company. The bottom line is that they are crooked. In dealing with them at different times I had nothing but trouble getting any real cooperation out of them. When I finally decided to get rid of their service they said if I returned the modem and cables I would receive a $50.00 refund. The modem was in working order and the cables and power pack were all like new. I had a bad feeling when I packaged everything up very neatly in the box that they provided but went ahead with it anyway. I shipped it UPS using the mailing label provided by WildBlue. I got delivery confirmation from UPS on Dec. 8, 2008 and then waited to receive my refund. They said it could take up to 8 weeks. I actually waited until April 8, 2009, 4 months later and still had heard nothing. I phoned WildBlue and they said there was a note from their technician that the modem was defective. The modem was working perfectly when I sent it to them but they would not honor their promise of a $50.00 refund. I am absolutely certain there was nothing wrong with the modem but they refused to provide the refund promised.

I will never do business with them again and would definitely tell others to STAY AWAY FROM WildBlue. They are liars and crooks. I would rather get dial-up service than ever trust that miserable company again.

(review was emailed from domain centurytel.net)

Comments:

Review by stevenjcarline

• Location: Kempton,Ford,IL
Good "Down stream is good, Downloads are fast. Connection is reliable"
Bad "Upstreem is WAY below par. Customer service is not very good. Must have good credit to lease equipment otherwise have 200.00 USD"
Overall "It is what it is. I don't think anyone would rave about this service having used cable or DSL."

Wild blue and other satellite ISP's are not bad. Not good either, They
are usually the last resort when living in the middle of no where. Wild
blue does its job with a decent down stream speed. Its upstream however
needs a lot of work. their F.A.P., or Fair Access Policy, unfortunately
is governed by the government itself cutting down incredibly the amount
of bandwidth allotted a single modem. If all you have are emails and web
pages and messengers it's ideal. Don't even dream of gaming, downloading
large files, or using V.O.I.P.. If you ever get the chance do not couple
wild blue with satellite t.v.. Taking them separately makes life much
easier.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by opus74 See Profile

• Location: Coello,Franklin,IL
Good "Allows Internet in the most remote locations."
Bad "Usage recording is flawed."
Overall "Only if you have no other option.."
Mail,DNS,News:

Moving from Atlanta (too many people) to a "town" with less than 100 population.

Ordered service through the local NRTC provider (Hamilton County Telephone). Very professional about gathering information etc. Install was said to be about 4 weeks out.
Got a call 2 weeks later scheduling me for 2 weeks out. (Still a 4 week time-frame).
Another call 3 days later, they had another install cancel, can we come by in an hour??.....come on down.....

Installer (LR) was excellent !!! He set the pole in concrete, trenched in the cable, even helped me fish it to an upstairs room that will be the "data center" once we have moved in. Now that's customer satisfaction !!

Setup was quick....I didn't do the email setup as all I had was a company machine because of the quick notice. Installer had all the info needed for me to do it later. I really don't need the email as I have a couple of domains with unlimted EMail.

From arrival of the installer to done including fishing, trenching, setup etc...3 hours max. and it was done right all the way.

IP is dynamic, but hasn't changed in a month. Modem is not much bigger than a DSL modem. It can be mounted vertical or horizontal. If switching from DSL in the big city, remeber to reconfigure your router from PPPoE to Normal IP.

Since the install, speeds have been very consistent on DL averaging 1400 and peaking at 1800 (pro-pak). Upload has varied from 300 down to 50, I understand WB has had some issues with this. There seems to be no pattern to the variations. Mouse clicks don't take much upload, but I do need to update my websites on occasion.

I have noticed that the DNS is somewhat slow. By configuring my router to use Level 3's DNS servers, I have noticed an improvement. Once we are moved, I will have a dedicated DNS server, so that should remedy that issue.

It's great to be back in the country, and still have "T1-type" service. (DL at least).

The price is high (compared to DSL, but on target for SAT), and it sure beats the hell out of AOL !!

Let me know if you have questions or if I need to clarify anything.

Opus74 10/27/2005

Thanks to Hamilton County Telephone and installer LR .... GREAT WORK !!

Update 8/2/06

Service has still been mostly good. We are "fed" from the Syracuse gateway which has had lots of troubles since 7/11/06. Fortunately, I am serviced through a co-op so my customer support experience has not been as bad as some others that have to deal with WB directly..

As I have said before, most WB customers don't want to be WB customers. But it's our only choice besides 14k dial-up, or DWay and their somewhat strange FAP.

So far ... so good.

Update 12/15/2006

I can no longer, in good faith, reccomend WB to anyone. On 11/17/05, the service was literally destroyed by a software patch to the modems. I am paying for 1.5 down, I have not exceeded 200k down since 11/17. Every single page downloaded times out at least once. You can no longer access any sites hosted, parked or forwarded by GoDaddy.

They have "tweaked" their FAP meter to record every glitch as usage. Unplug the modem for a day, and you still will show a gig or more of download.

WB has told me and several others basically "that's the way it works now".

I have no other choice at the moment, but I would hate to see anyone else get involved with this company.

Update 1/15/08

Service has been status quo lately. HTTPS is ridiculously slow. Alltel has added EVDO to the area and will be going Rev. A soon. Until then WB is usable, but barely.

I must commend Hamilton County Communications though for excellent customer service throughout.

Update 3/27/09

Nothing much has really changed in the past year. Everything above still holds true.
Alltel has Rev. A now in this market and it looks good. There is a WISP moving into town, but it has taken them 6+ weeks to get the power from the meter to the radio. Makes me wonder if it will ever work. Still with WB, but leaning toward Alltel or the WISP.

member for 12.3 years, 3752 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by .

I am a disabled veteran and the Veteran's Administration prepaid my 2 year contract with WildBlue so that I might be able to work from home. WildBlue REFUSES to provide a receipt for the payment. They claim they are a paperless company and no amount of discussion with their worthless customer service billing department can provide a receipt except their monthly online which does not provide a receipt for the full amount paid to them. Now the Veteran's Administration cannot reconcile their accounting of this bill with payment. I thought because they were listed on the ATT&T web site that WildBlue would at least practice basic business practices. And yes, I too get intermittent connection with my internet. Frequently disconnected. I rarely post this type of thing but I am frustrated with WildBlue. It seems they must think they are above the law or at least common sense. I would be happy if they would just provide me with an online receipt for the full amount paid..over $1200.00!

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by tgunr See Profile

• Location: Forbestown,Butte,CA
Good "Reasonable download speeds within FAP"
Bad "High cost compared to DSL, high latency makes web browsing sometimes painful, no VOIP, Gaming , etc"
Overall "Reasonable value for rural locations and ok for a lot of people."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been on Wildblue for past 4 years living here in the Sierra mountains with dial-up as only alternative. I had the Pro package of 1.5Mbps down, 256Kbps up. Being a professional programmer the 17GB/30 day cap was killing me as sometime a single Software Developer Kit from Apple can be 6GB. Once you hit the cap, you are throttled back to dialup speeds but with the extremely high latency found on satellite connections.I average around 1500ms latency which precludes any VOIP, video streaming, or gaming. Pull the trigger, and second and half later the bullet comes out, no fun. I just pulled in a T1 for $350/month and am serving 4 neighbors using wireless to help cut the costs. Guess that makes me a little WISP. I am now back in game with a real broadband connection. Finally!

Comments:

Review by clayusmcret See Profile

• Location: Holly Ridge,Onslow,NC
Good "Better than dial-up"
Bad "Not much better than dial-up and expensive as hell"
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than nothing."

Until my current address I was a longtime cable internet user - 14+ years. Moved to a rural area where the cable company (CHARTER) refuses to add lines off main roads. Was left with no other choice but to go with satellite. Throughput's not that bad but the latency is horrendous. Drives me crazy! I'm seriously considering switching over to (probably) a Sprint wireless card.

I'm paying for the highest amount of throughput and only getting half of the advertised speed. This test result is fairly normal.

Speed Test #68018112 by dslreports.com
Tested by server: 55 java
User: 241088 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: wildblue.net

• Location: San Luis Obispo,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "service is reliable"
Bad "the price is WAY too much for the speed"
Overall "Nothing better available in the near future"
Mail,DNS,News:

We lived in the city and had broadband cable. It was very decent as
compared to T1 at work. We moved to the country, 3 miles outside of town,
far enough to be in rural no mans land. Went with Wild Blue because they
were one of two satellite providers in the area. Cable and DSL had not
reached us three years ago, nor have they yet. With a 2 year contract,
installation was free. We have the ProPak service level. For $85.00 a
month we have a screaming 1.5 download, not enough to watch any video like
Netflix on computer or missed TV shows on TV websites. I was appalled the
first time we came up against FAP. The service is better than dial up, I
sometimes think. Except for the price. For a savings of $70.00 a month I
would consider using internet for email only and downloading while I'm
washing the dishes or something. Of course, I am not ready to move back to
town, but I may get there.

(review was emailed from domain kcbx.net)

Comments:

Review by ger936

• Location: Goodrich,Polk,TX
Bad "expensive, limited usage, unseen charges"
Overall "wild blue is a rip off!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in the country where we have had dialup for years. Don't you know I was excited when I found out Wild Blue was available in my area. They saw a sucker coming! I was charged 150$ for the dish to be mounted on a pole, that was the only charge I was informed of. Then a few days later when I checked my credit card, I had a charge for the first months service, a 95$ account activation charge and numerous other small charges. What I spent for this service that I have limited use of, another thing I was not informed of, I could and should have gone with Hughes. I feel angered and disappointed that I am now stuck with this service that I can't even use that much for a year. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by jaywkay See Profile

• Location: Bay City,Bay,MI
Good "It's broadband when you have no other choice."
Bad "Slower during peak hours"
Overall "It's worth every penny when nothing else but dial-up is available."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have no other options except dial-up and satellite. I am running a business out of this location and dial-up just won't do the job. Only have two choices, Wild Blue or Hughes. Everyone in this area is cancelling Hughes because it is even slower than dial-up. Due to oversubscription? Not sure why, just know everybody is unhappy with Hughes around here. I would love to have cable or DSL, but all vendors say it will never happen in my lifetime. Thank goodness satellite internet, or I would not even be able to run my business. Too bad about the lag though, no on-line gaming. Couldn't do that on dial-up anyhow though.

Comments:

Review by dazerous See Profile

• Location: Benzonia,Benzie,MI
Good "None"
Bad "All"
Overall "Do not use thi Service"

These people never disclosed that there was a down load limit.and once you reach your limit they take you down to less than dial up.

member for 13.6 years, 1063 visits, last login: 223 days ago